Ronnie O'Sullivan

trousers

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

No doubt he'll still find something to moan about.

It was junk food, but he bought himself an air fryer and a smoothie maker and all was well in the world. I'd hazard a guess that no other sportsman will ever mention buying a smoothie maker in his celebration interview. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Greatest snooker player even and currently, but no snooker player is going to be the greatest sports person alive.  

Agreed. Great sportsmen, imo, have to do something that involves real physical effort. 

• Like 1

Greatest snooker player even and currently, but no snooker player is going to be the greatest sports person alive.  

15 minutes ago, egg said:

Agreed. Great sportsmen, imo, have to do something that involves real physical effort. 

I suspected it wouldn't be too long before the conversation headed down this path. Valid opinions, of course; I just happen to hold the opposite opinion. All good and healthy to disagree though :)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

Agreed, like Darts Snooker isn't a sport. He's a genius though, absolute great to watch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

I suspected it wouldn't be too long before the conversation headed down this path. Valid opinions, of course; I just happen to hold the opposite opinion. All good and healthy to disagree though :)

if you dont agree with me and the way i see the world you are a cunt and a racist and a bigot who should be cancelled. 

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

Nobody will ever convince me that a darts player, snooker player, golfer, or anyone skilled in doing something where a 50 year old can compete at the highest level with a 20 year old, is a better sportsman/woman than a Daley Thompson, Jessica Ennis, Usain Bolt, etc. As you say though, no harm in having a different view. 

Edited by egg

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Nobody will ever convince me that a darts player, snooker player, golfer, or anyone skilled in doing something where a 50 year old can compete at the highest level with a 20 year old, is a better sportsman/woman than a Daley Thompson, Jessica Ennis, Usain Boky, etc. As you say though, no harm in having a different view. 

That's handy, because I have no desire to change anyone's opinion nor 'prove' something is right or wrong*, unlike some on this forum.... :);)

(*the true definition of Boxing Day being the exception of course 😂)

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, egg said:

Nobody will ever convince me that a darts player, snooker player, golfer, or anyone skilled in doing something where a 50 year old can compete at the highest level with a 20 year old, is a better sportsman/woman than a Daley Thompson, Jessica Ennis, Usain Boky, etc. As you say though, no harm in having a different view. 

Golf i'd disagree with you on, the best players are still very fit and it's a very high skill level,  but anything that you can play in a pub whilst holding a pint isnt a sport.

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Golf i'd disagree with you on, the best players are still very fit and it's a very high skill level,  but anything that you can play in a pub whilst holding a pint isnt a sport.

Golf is more debatable than the other 2 that's for sure. I'm swayed to it being a pastime as I know a fat bastard who plays off 3 and regards walking to a buffet as excercise. I don't know any actual sports people who can be so out of shape but be that good.

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Golf is more debatable than the other 2 that's for sure. I'm swayed to it being a pastime as I know a fat bastard who plays off 3 and regards walking to a buffet as excercise. I don't know any actual sports people who can be so out of shape but be that good.

Watch a sumo wrestling match at this weekend's Japanese Fall Festival -  Springfield Daily Citizen

?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

What about Magnus Carlson at chess?

Or those kids who are good at playing on an XBox?

I wouldn't particularly class those as sports myself (although I'm sort of on the fence with chess), but if someone else perceives otherwise then fair enough; doesn't bother me what other people think about it.

Edited by trousers

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agree. Snooker and darts are both  pastimes. Sports are played on grass. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, egg said:

Im honestly amazed anyone that plays off 3 can get fat. I play although no where near as much as i'd like and to get to a level like that really you've got to be playing 3 times a week and each round of golf is about 6-7 mile walk on a proper course, pretty sure i've burnt over 4,000 calories a day when i've played in the past. You'd have to be a right gutty cunt to get fat playing golf regularly at a decent level. The top players now are all as much into sports science, nutrition and exercise as much as anyone, look at Bryson Deschambeau and how much he came on when he started hitting the weights. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

Nobody will ever convince me that a darts player, snooker player, golfer, or anyone skilled in doing something where a 50 year old can compete at the highest level with a 20 year old,

What about horse racing? That’s a sport & old twats can compete with youngsters. And, they’re fit. You never see a fat bastard competing in that. 

If we're talking greatest sportsman/women (and I would split it out), then you have to look at sports where there is a ton of global competition.  For example being the best tennis player means you're the best tennis player of, for arguments sake, 100 million tennis players worldwide.  Football is more but then is a team sport.

Fuck it, just give it to Michael Jordan.

Peolple value fitness over skill in these arguments. Lost distance running and snooker are at different ends of the spectrum, one needs a small amount of skill but loads of fitness the other one the other way around, but both require a high level of dedication. I don't think either of them are better than the other, although I probably admire a brilliant runner more.

Football and tennis are arguably the ultimate sports as they require both, you need to produce high levels of skill whilst being oxygen deprived.

37 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

What about those who excel at more than one sport?

Bob Hayes (sprinting and American Football),Didrikson Zaharias (javelin, hurdles, golf and high jump), Oscar Pistorius (sprinting and shooting).. no, wait, not that last one...

Our very own CB Fry, football and cricket and he's a bloody good football forum poster too

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Judo?

Boxing?

Also rules out Jessica Ennis...

Fair enough. Judo and Boxing don't qualify and no loss there. As she would throw a javelin onto grass Jessica Ennis  can sneak  into the sportswoman category. 😜