Yoshida as a full back?

Topcat

After yesterday he should never play there again. He was responsible for the 2nd and 4th goal through bad positioning being outside of the attacker. I would rather have a kid with some speed that has played as a full back than have Yoshida there.

Why blame Yoshida? Why not blame the person who decided to play him there. The same person who had Rodriguez playing on the wing. Ward Prowse would have done a better job but let's no suggest such things in case he ends up there.

Why blame Yoshida? Why not blame the person who decided to play him there. The same person who had Rodriguez playing on the wing. Ward Prowse would have done a better job but let's no suggest such things in case he ends up there.

Rodriguez wasn't playing on the wing!

For the second goal Guly really sold him short, that wasn't totally his fault. The 4th was as much Fonte's fault as anything. He didn't put a tackle in or show Miaga down the wing and let him cut inside and shoot. I didn't think he was the worst problem yesterday but it's a bit early to say whether I'd prefer him or Fox.

no matter who we have at full back we are getting hammered down the sides....to me, we are simply not tight enough....we are too gung ho

You'd have thought the manager would have realised that as well after it happening week after week and changed th formaiton wouldn't you. I wonder why he hasn't, must be very incompetent.

We weren't gung ho yesterday. crass defensive errors account for the loss.

im talking generally.....but I thought when we broke, we piled forward

and our wide players constantly offer hardly any protection...guly, lallana and at times puncheon, go walkies..

believe it or not, I think puncheon is better at giving clyne a hand than the others helping out

im talking generally.....but I thought when we broke, we piled forward

and our wide players constantly offer hardly any protection...guly, lallana and at times puncheon, go walkies..

believe it or not, I think puncheon is better at giving clyne a hand than the others helping out

That's been the case generally which is why I refrain from being too critical of Fox. His form has dipped but he's been far too exposed as have all the full backs.

That's been the case generally which is why I refrain from being too critical of Fox. His form has dipped but he's been far too exposed as have all the full backs.

Trouble is Fox forgets he is playing football and thinks he is having an amble down the park looking at the trees and sky and not the Dog turd he is about to step in = the winger that's about to sweep past him.

If we're going to use him out of position, let's make a DM out of him when Fox is back. Pushing our defensive line forward a bit would do wonders for our defense and having him and Morgan in the middle gives us two players who are very confident on the ball. It's the role I want to see Cork playing, but that's not an option at the moment.

Would rather Yoshida as CB, but needs must...

Considering Maya is a CB, I thought he was great yesterday. Most people who get played out of position at LB would be tempted just to sit deep and play it out, but he wasn't afraid to overlap and run with the ball.

He was at fault for at least 2 of the goals, and for the 2nd was totally taken out of the game by an horrendous error. He's definitely not a full back, that's for sure

At the end of the day, if you perform well enough for 70% of the game yet give away 2 goals through your errors, then you're not quite good enough in that position at the end of the day.

He was at fault for at least 2 of the goals, and for the 2nd was totally taken out of the game by an horrendous error. He's definitely not a full back, that's for sure

At the end of the day, if you perform well enough for 70% of the game yet give away 2 goals through your errors, then you're not quite good enough in that position at the end of the day.

I wouldnt give too much credance to Super Mikeys comments. You have to remember He rated Jermaine Wright and Neil McCann.

I get the feeling that Yoshida was a panic buy as we'd failed to get our first choice defensive recruitments.

He hasn't impressed me. Was OK vs Villa but still made a massive mistake that almost lead to us falling 2 behind.

At CB he's looked pretty assured, very good on the ball, nice turn of pace and comfortable on either foot. He's looked bad for the last few weeks because he's out of position and isn't given any protection. He's not a world beater by any means, but he's a hell of a lot more mobile at CB than Jos for example

I agree that we didn't get the CB's we really wanted, but I think it's harsh to say Yoshida was a panic buy I believe he is a CB we've been looking at for quite a while.

At CB he's looked pretty assured, very good on the ball, nice turn of pace and comfortable on either foot. He's looked bad for the last few weeks because he's out of position and isn't given any protection. He's not a world beater by any means, but he's a hell of a lot more mobile at CB than Jos for example

I agree that we didn't get the CB's we really wanted, but I think it's harsh to say Yoshida was a panic buy I believe he is a CB we've been looking at for quite a while.

Agree entirely, as a CB he has been very assured and added some much needed confidence to the back-four. It's only being player well out of position, in a position that suits none of his strong points, that has made him look bad.

I get the feeling that Yoshida was a panic buy as we'd failed to get our first choice defensive recruitments.

He hasn't impressed me. Was OK vs Villa but still made a massive mistake that almost lead to us falling 2 behind.

Have to say i agree with that . Panic buy and looks out of his depth in this league ! Mind you, i could say that about all the back line if im honest:?

Have to say i agree with that . Panic buy and looks out of his depth in this league ! Mind you, i could say that about all the back line if im honest:?

I think Yoshida looks OK as a centre back with Jose but he shouldn't be playing left back at all. Surely we have some other option if Fox isn't fit. At a push I would have thought that playing Stephens on the right and Clyne on the left was a better desperation measure. Something isn't right somewhere because we have players who are nominally on the roster but never on the team sheet come what may. I mean Seaborne played at left back in a Capital Cup game didn't he? yet he was a sub yesterday in despite our strange formation.

How about one of our full back reserves.

Do you have any names.......?.

well there's Ryan Dickson .....(yes he's still here)... and Dan Seaborne but they are rated even lower in the order than Danny Fox .. who most people consider unsuitable.

That leaves Luke Shaw who was the centre of attraction in the summer, but has been / is injured ....or sick .......or something and has hardly had any games for the U21s.

AND SO ?.......WHO do you mean?. I do agree that Yoshida is not the ideal full back - but I'm sure he didn't ask to play there - but we have little choice at present.

well there's Ryan Dickson .....(yes he's still here)... and Dan Seaborne but they are rated even lower in the order than Danny Fox .. who most people consider unsuitable.

That leaves Luke Shaw who was the centre of attraction in the summer, but has been / is injured ....or sick .......or something and has hardly had any games for the U21s.

AND SO ?.......WHO do you mean?. I do agree that Yoshida is not the ideal full back - but I'm sure he didn't ask to play there - but we have little choice at present.

I reckon Dickson's being given the same treatment that Puncheon was because his thinking differs from Cortese. Can see this guy eventually up and motivated will be a revelation.

STOP using so much bold.........................it doesn't make your posts CLEARER..........................in fact it makes them MORE confused.

Not really sure you can blame the 4th solely on him, Fonte didn't do his job properly either. People seem to be far too quick to put the blame on individuals when really our second half performance defensively was appalling.

Why not play Butterfield on the right, let Clyne get back to the left where he wasn't bad at all and get Fonte-Yoshida back at CB?

Our best days in defense were with this set-up (except it was Richardson at RB, who was doing well and it's a shame he's out). Plus Butterfield, although surely not amazing, has PL experience and was unlucky with fitness and injury problems last season. Why is he not playing?? After Richardson's injury that was an obligation.

Playing a makeshift RB when you have a player for that position and the other "did a job" but clearly struggled for 75 minutes is an unforgivable, basic mistake, that neither of us would've done even on Football Manager.

Why not play Butterfield on the right, let Clyne get back to the left where he wasn't bad at all and get Fonte-Yoshida back at CB?

Our best days in defense were with this set-up (except it was Richardson at RB, who was doing well and it's a shame he's out). Plus Butterfield, although surely not amazing, has PL experience and was unlucky with fitness and injury problems last season. Why is he not playing?? After Richardson's injury that was an obligation.

Playing a makeshift RB when you have a player for that position and the other "did a job" but clearly struggled for 75 minutes is an unforgivable, basic mistake, that neither of us would've done even on Football Manager.

Butterfield is not the answer. If you think Fox is bad at this level...

Yoshi is probably our best CB, and paired with Fonte looks very assured. He must never ever play RB or LB again, playing a CB as a WB is just plain stupid, and poor Yoshi is not the right man for that job. Of course nor is Jos, who would be even worse. But what are the options if Fox really is injured (and useless) and so is Richardson? One of the youngsters or Dickson? Or maybe it would be better to play Punch as a LB until we get a proper one in (I thought when Richardson got injured that NA would drop Punch into defence and bring on Guly). I think Punch could do the job if he was detailed to do it, my only concern would be his lack of discipline (and I don't mean getting booked, just ability to concentrate on the job he is given). Another alternative may have been to push Steve Davis to defence and bring on JWP in his place. We are screwed at LB at the moment, and there are some options, however unattractive they might be, but Yoshi and Jos should not be considered as optional LBs under any circumstances.

Is he really worse than a right footed centre back playing at left back?

I would say yes, although of course that's my opinion. He was good - but not amazing - at league one level. In fits and bursts, it's worth remembering.

Two levels up and two years of no regular football - he'd get slaughtered.

I'd like to point out that I really don't like Yoshida playing at full-back, but at least he has shown promise at this level in some capacity.

I would say yes, although of course that's my opinion. He was good - but not amazing - at league one level. In fits and bursts, it's worth remembering.

Two levels up and two years of no regular football - he'd get slaughtered.

I'd like to point out that I really don't like Yoshida playing at full-back, but at least he has shown promise at this level in some capacity.

Not as a full back though; he's been horrendous when put there.

Indeed, but at least he could have the ability to compete with the players he's up against. Dickson struggled on occasion against league one players.

Yoshida was at fault for at least 1 goal on Saturday; arguably two (4th goal he put his head in his hands when it went in). He has shown that he is demonstrably terrible at left back and shouldn't play there ever again. Dickson or Reeves are the only viable options and can't do any worse than the shambles of Yoshida.

Why are people harranging Yoshida for his indifferent peformances in a position he hasn't played in before? ..he didn't pick himself for goodness sake.

Reminds me of those (past) critics of Tessem and Delap who rolled out insults every other game when the players concerned were played out of position by their manager (of the time)..out of necessity.

What does a player say... ."oh sorry gaffer, can't do that. I've not played that position before and I might get criticised if I have a bad game " .

You play where you are put and make the best of it. If you're the managers only option...and it doesn't work out ..it's hardly the player's fault, but everyone should learn the lesson.

Barely anyone is blaming Yoshuda, Dave. Simply pointing out that he's not a full back; at all. And given that at left back we had a number of other options other than a right footed centre back, it was folly to put him in the situation where he was clearly going to get found out. His inability to defend the left full back position had a significant input into at least 2 goals that we conceded; against a relatively average West Ham side who we could and perhaps should have taken something from.