Les Reed interview today

trousers

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

Looking forward to interviewing #saintsfc director Les Reed this afternoon - hear it in the Sportshour tonight on @BBCRadioSolent after 6pm

If you had one question, what would you ask him?

I'd go for: "how much did the Alderweireld 'saga' have to do with the CFO leaving the club?"

I'd ask him why the club sent so many messages out in the public domain about signing Toby and / or a legal position only for him to end up signing for Spurs.

I suspect the answer will be that the player wanted to sign for Spurs no matter what however I fail to believe the club wouldn't be aware of that.

Les, Out of ten, with ten being "incredibly embarrassed we really ****ed up big time and I apologize on behalf of the club" and 0 being not at all, how embarrassed are you at letting a talent like Toby slip through Saints hands to join a Europa league rival team for what's reported as £11.4M (£9.4M to us..) and £50kpw on a 5 year contract - both figures obviously affordable for us?

I would ask 'We have a great bunch of young kids coming through, would it be a good idea to buy a couple of top players (pay them £100k a week) and let them learn from them.

Why get a squad of average players like Elia, Mayuka, Ramirez, duejic (no idea how to spell it) that are slowing down their progress to the first team?'

Do you really, honestly believe that we can keep selling our best players and get away with it. Do you have figures in mind for Victor and J Rod for the next transfer window?

Its not "getting away with it", it is to their credit they have the recruitment structures in place so we can find good replacements. Its not sheer luck.

How do you propose Saints stop our best players wanting huge wage rises and Champions League football?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Its not "getting away with it", it is to their credit they have the recruitment structures in place so we can find good replacements. Its not sheer luck.

How do you propose Saints stop our best players wanting huge wage rises and Champions League football?

You cant, granted, but i just wish the club were a bit more honest about what they say to us, but lets see what he says.

What makes you think that has stopped?

come on, there is definitely not the same philosophy going on as there was a couple of years ago. It was, and to his credit, Cortese's view that we should be playing young English players and Poch was behind that too. I don't believe that RK buys into that at all. Lets say, its certainly not a directive from the club any more, you cant deny that.

come on, there is definitely not the same philosophy going on as there was a couple of years ago. It was, and to his credit, Cortese's view that we should be playing young English players and Poch was behind that too. I don't believe that RK buys into that at all. Lets say, its certainly not a directive from the club any more, you cant deny that.

Koeman gave league debuts to 5 academy players last season (plus we have Ward-Prowse, Reed and Gallagher who are all around the first team and have played for them) and regularly has academy players training with the first team. Which other Premier League clubs did that? Let alone one that finished 7th!

Edited by Matthew Le God

Was this the same philosophy that lead to him splurging upwards of £40m on Gaston, Osvaldo, Forren and Mayuka?

I'd be very interested to hear what strategies the geniuses of SWF would utilise to stop bigger clubs picking off the best of our talent.

Actually, no. It'd be uninformed drivel. Might be interesting to hear Reed's thoughts on the matter though.

Koeman gave league debuts to 5 academy players last season (plus we have Ward-Prowse, Reed and Gallagher who are all around the first team and have played for them) and regularly has academy players training with the first team. Which other Premier League clubs did that? Let alone one that finished 7th!

I don't believe any other club that finished 7th last season in the PL gave so many debuts and used so many academy players.

However, ignoring that, the idea that we still have the same philosophy with regards Academy players as we did even 2 years ago are deluded. We have become in one year just about the least English and we have also become a club that has no academy graduates as regulars in our first team. Last year only JWP was even close to being a regular. There is very little sign that this will change in the coming season, Ronald does not appear to trust academy players in the first team, possibly because there really aren't any real stars coming through, possibly with the exception of Harry Reed.

I don't believe any other club that finished 7th last season in the PL gave so many debuts and used so many academy players.

However, ignoring that, the idea that we still have the same philosophy with regards Academy players as we did even 2 years ago are deluded. We have become in one year just about the least English and we have also become a club that has no academy graduates as regulars in our first team. Last year only JWP was even close to being a regular. There is very little sign that this will change in the coming season, Ronald does not appear to trust academy players in the first team, possibly because there really aren't any real stars coming through, possibly with the exception of Harry Reed.

That's a pretty idiotic comment. The reason we have less first team players from the academy is because other teams have bought them, certainly not because we haven't been up for giving youth a chance.

Was this the same philosophy that lead to him splurging upwards of £40m on Gaston, Osvaldo, Forren and Mayuka?

every club wastes money on transfers, its ridiculous that Cortese keeps getting blamed for this, which is not an issue, because it was his fault on Gaston and Forren, maybe Poch had more of a say with Osvaldo. But look at Utd - the guy they had on loan, Liverpool - Lovren, Spurs - where do you start, Arsenal - Uzil.... do i need to go through every club and point out their wastage?

What are you saying they haven't been honest about?

we're a selling club, like just about everyone else aside from Madrid and Barca, and if we get a good enough offer, anyone can go.

What was all that crap about Clyne staying? Did you actually buy that from Reed a couple of months ago?

we're a selling club, like just about everyone else aside from Madrid and Barca, and if we get a good enough offer, anyone can go.

What was all that crap about Clyne staying? Did you actually buy that from Reed a couple of months ago?

Every club is a selling club, we have to be sustainable, no one really should have a problem with that.

surprising statistics, how do they compare in terms of minutes played on the previous season? Clearly we have sold Shaw and Chambers, so maybe a bit misleading, but just feel that the emphasis has gone a bit.

surprising statistics, how do they compare in terms of minutes played on the previous season? Clearly we have sold Shaw and Chambers, so maybe a bit misleading, but just feel that the emphasis has gone a bit.

If the kids are good enough they will play. We had a 'golden generation' that has been taken away from us. Our Academy is outstanding but we won't always produce players who go on to be full England internationals in their teenage years.

It hasn't. Our first team is now packed for of internationals (more so then ever before in our history), it is a very different task for a teenager from our academy to surpass international players. The bar is a lot higher. That does' mean the club doesn't have a youth policy of getting players into the first team, it just may take them longer to get there now.

I really don't think they would have said anything about Clyne if they really didn't think they thought he would defo be off. It seems like he waws hedging his bets to see what was on the table for him. As for Toby, apparently the club didn't know of his wish to go to Spuds until Monday. Unless Reed can get himself a decent crystal ball I don't see what else he can do? And as for buying replacements before players leave, isn't that what happened with Soares?