Best Gig/Show

Dr Who?

MUSE Wembley Stadium. This was the 5 time I have seen them, and it was the best gig I have been to ever. OK I say gig but it was more of a show. I have to say they took my breath away.

Best gig was The Subways at the joiners when they first came on the scene... along with Razorlight at Southampton uni.

What is the best gig/show you have been to?

MUSE Wembley Stadium. This was the 5 time I have seen them, and it was the best gig I have been to ever. OK I say gig but it was more of a show. I have to say they took my breath away.

Best gig was The Subways at the joiners when they first came on the scene... along with Razorlight at Southampton uni.

One of my best gigs would have to be these at Bournemouth Old Fire Station in 2005. Was pure F*cking mayhem. There were two great big Speakers, one on top of the other, Billy climbed up em', about half way through the gig, rocking away like he does, as he went to jump into the crowd, the top speaker gave way and slipped from under him, he crashed down pretty badly, but just got back up and carried on, sending us, already frenzied fans, into an even bigger frenzy. Turned out he had broken a few ribs... fair bloody play to him. Great band who i really enjoyed watching over them few years.

I couldn't put a pin on best gig, but here are what I consider my "Best Gigs";

Prodigy @ The BIC (2005???) - Pure insanity...

Foo Fighters @ Reading 2005 - Crowd surfing to 'Resolve' with a perfectly pink sky, with a couple hundred quid falling out of my pocket and losing one of me trainers but just not giving a monkeys...

Indafels @ The Joiners (2006???) - Smashed it. A very, very OVER sold out Joiners, near on every single soul in there going nuts.

Morning Runner @ The Joiners (2006?) One of the very few times I have been blown away.

Coldplay @ Earls Court - Like the muse one, not so much a gig, more of a show, but the show that was put on was nothing short of awesome.

The Cribs @ Wedgewood Rooms (2008?) - Seen them too many times to remember, but this one was pretty clear it was gonna be the last time we saw them in a small venue, and they certainly made it one to remember. And they walked out and said "Alrite Sooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuthampton!" in there bloody yorkshire accents, to which me and my mates all give it "Hoooooooraaaayyyyy!!!!" hahaha! My fav band and a gig I certainly shall not forget.

So many many other top gigs aswell, no way I could choose a favourite.

One of my best gigs would have to be these at Bournemouth Old Fire Station in 2005. Was pure F*cking mayhem. There were two great big Speakers, one on top of the other, Billy climbed up em', about half way through the gig, rocking away like he does, as he went to jump into the crowd, the top speaker gave way and slipped from under him, he crashed down pretty badly, but just got back up and carried on, sending us, already frenzied fans, into an even bigger frenzy. Turned out he had broken a few ribs... fair bloody play to him. Great band who i really enjoyed watching over them few years.

I couldn't put a pin on best gig, but here are what I consider my "Best Gigs";

Prodigy @ The BIC (2005???) - Pure insanity...

Foo Fighters @ Reading 2005 - Crowd surfing to 'Resolve' with a perfectly pink sky, with a couple hundred quid falling out of my pocket and losing one of me trainers but just not giving a monkeys...

Indafels @ The Joiners (2006???) - Smashed it. A very, very OVER sold out Joiners, near on every single soul in there going nuts.

Morning Runner @ The Joiners (2006?) One of the very few times I have been blown away.

Coldplay @ Earls Court - Like the muse one, not so much a gig, more of a show, but the show that was put on was nothing short of awesome.

The Cribs @ Wedgewood Rooms (2008?) - Seen them too many times to remember, but this one was pretty clear it was gonna be the last time we saw them in a small venue, and they certainly made it one to remember. And they walked out and said "Alrite Sooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuthampton!" in there bloody yorkshire accents, to which me and my mates all give it "Hoooooooraaaayyyyy!!!!" hahaha! My fav band and a gig I certainly shall not forget.

So many many other top gigs aswell, no way I could choose a favourite.

Saw Prodigy at Wembley last year - they were brilliant.

Also seen The Cribs about 7/8 times - saw them at a Social Club up here in Leeds a few years ago that was a very good gig, supported by themselves and Franz Ferdinand no less.

Some of my faves were:

The Vines at Reading '06. At times it was actually scary - playing the NME tent it was absolutely packed and the crowd was going crazy right to the back!

The Libertines reunion at the Forum the other week has to be up there. In terms of atmosphere alone, this wins hands down.

Arctic Monkeys at The Astoria (RIP) in '07.

Though the best band I have seen is without doubt Arcade Fire at Leeds festival a couple of weeks ago. Still blown away.

Paul McCartney-Joe Robbie Stadium & Southampton Gaumont, 12 years apart but 2 fantastic shows.

Johnny Cash-Albert Hall, early 90's during his Rick Rubin stage.

Paul Simon-BIC, 3 hours of brillant music.

However the best night I ever had watching a band was Dr Feelgood, unfortunatly there was no Wilko Johnson (who I saw a few months later solo), but Lee Brilleaux was immense (RIP).Over 25 years ago, and yet after a few pints someone always says "remember that Feelgood night".I just cant believe how little recongition they get nowadays, Wilko Johnson is a legend.

Also seen The Cribs about 7/8 times - saw them at a Social Club up here in Leeds a few years ago that was a very good gig, supported by themselves and Franz Ferdinand no less.

Some of my faves were:

The Vines at Reading '06. At times it was actually scary - playing the NME tent it was absolutely packed and the crowd was going crazy right to the back!

The Libertines reunion at the Forum the other week has to be up there. In terms of atmosphere alone, this wins hands down.

Though the best band I have seen is without doubt Arcade Fire at Leeds festival a couple of weeks ago. Still blown away.

I should have mentioned Arcade Fire, Saw them at Reading 05' in the Radio 1/NME Tent, I was off my nut on a wild concoction of ingredients, they were out of this world. They were on set for about 40 minutes, and I remember there being a giant bear stood motionless at the back of the set, then right at the end this 7ft+ Bear started going nuts on stage, I looked at my mate and said to him "Pal, I'm seeing that Giant bear at the back dancing round like a fruitcake..." to which he replied "It has been for about half hour mate." I wish I had appreciated AF a bit more at the time because it's very rare they are over here and I was unable to make Reading this year as we have just had a newborn. Can't stop listening to 'The Suburbs'. A top, top, totally under rated band.

Paul McCartney-Joe Robbie Stadium & Southampton Gaumont, 12 years apart but 2 fantastic shows.

Johnny Cash-Albert Hall, early 90's during his Rick Rubin stage.

Paul Simon-BIC, 3 hours of brillant music.

However the best night I ever had watching a band was Dr Feelgood, unfortunatly there was no Wilko Johnson (who I saw a few months later solo), but Lee Brilleaux was immense (RIP).Over 25 years ago, and yet after a few pints someone always says "remember that Feelgood night".I just cant believe how little recongition they get nowadays, Wilko Johnson is a legend.

You may be interested in this:

http://www.the-brook.com/dates2010/11.2010.shtml#wilkojohnson

Scroll down to the 10th.

Went and saw Muse Saturday as well for what was my 5th time too and once again they failed to disappoint! Still undecided as to whether I preferred this or the Wembley show in 2007. Their charity gig for TCT back in April 08 at the Albert Hall was probably my favourite performance of theirs I've been to.

The Radio 1 Killers gig at the Albert Hall was also immense,as was the one the following July which was filmed for their DVD. That really is an incredible venue. I went to that Warchild gig at Shepherds bush Empire that they did with Coldplay at that was pretty special. The encore of Chris Martin singing Back For Good with Gary Barlow followed by the performance of All These Things That I've Done with Coldplay, The Killers, G.B. And Bono was slightly surreal.

Foo Fighters at Wembley in 08 was an awesome show, went to the Saturday which meant I got to see the collaboration with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones which was a special moment. Likewise Green Day at the same place this summer, jeez do they know how to put on a good show. They were on for just under 3 hours and I've never seen a band get the crowd that involved with a concert. They did a good 10 song back to back run of some of their old catalogue (which I prefer as I liked GD before American Idiot was released) in the middle of the show, as well as a medley of songs by the likes of G n R, AC/DC and The Beatles. Got people from the crowd up to sing with them, fired t-shirts into the crowd with a massive bazooka thing, just really got the crowd involved.

Edited by bpsaint

Seasick steve - Big Chill 2007

went along with some mates, had no idea who he was or what he did. Never been a huge fan of blues and I wasn't expecting great things when I saw this old dude in dungarees looking like Uncle Jesse from the Dukes of Hazzard wander on stage with a knackered old guitar sporting only 3 strings. I was utterly blown away by his sheer stage presence despite his appearance, and when you read about the life this guy has lead you realise that his lyrics are all completely from the heart (as all good blues should be). Would recommend to anybody, even if you're not a fan of that genre, to go along and catch one of his gigs if you get the chance.

Portishead - Manchester Apollo 2008

Absolutely loved Portishead from the very first time I heard 'Numb' when Laurent Garnier dropped it into his now-legendary radio 1 essential mix in 1994. Never heard anything like it before so I made a point of finding out who it was by and promptly went out and bought a copy of Dummy: an album with which I still have a love affair to this day. I remember watching a video of a live show they did in New York with a full orchestra and wishing that someday I would get to see them live, but I didn't think I would ever get the chance when they split after their second album. So when I heard they were recording a new album and playing at the Apollo - their first UK gig for over 8 years - I had no problem paying OTT price for a pair of tickets off a tout site for me and my GF who also loves them. It was actually breathtaking. Beth came on stage and literally opened up her soul to the microphone, so much so that for most of the gig I had a lump in my throat and I left feeling emotionally drained; it was almost as if I had been crying for the last two hours. In fact, I'm getting shivers down my spine just thinking about it as I type this.

Depeche Mode - Royal Albert Hall Feb 2010.....seem DM tons of times over last 20 years but the gig at RAH was something special. Could only get a seat up in the 'gods' but atmos at this amazing venue was something else

Stereo MC's - Portsmouth Pyramids 1992 (?) ..... mainly went because my mate was heavily into them at the time but the gig had so much energy - I have never come out of a concert so sweaty:eek:

Underworld - Camden Town - Jul 2010 ..... again seen UW many times over the years, but this years gig in London confirmed why they remain the dance masters

The very first Prince's Trust concert at Wembley Arena about 1984. Went expecting to see Big Country, Joan Armatrading, Suzanne Vega & Level 42.

Ended up seeing everyone - Elton John, Phil Collins, Midge Ure, Fracis Rossi & Rick Parfitt, Brayn Adams, Tina Turner, Mark Knopfler (with Sting doing money for nothing) George Michael, Rod Stewart, Paul Young, Howard Jones, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger & David Bowie plus others. Utter shock - find the You-Tube and you see Prince Charles beaming and boogeying with Diana - once in a lifetime as nobody expected it

Coldplay in 3 separate Thunderstorms in Abu Dhabi last year stunning night would have been stopped for Health & Safety in UK, things kept blowing up but the band played on, have never seen anything like it, even their web site said it was their best ever gig

Muse in Dubai - enough to have simply gone, but I was stood on stage filming their encore, met the band and wow

Howard Jones unplugged in a pub 2 years ago here

Springstein at Wembley '84 (and the 3 times susbsequent)

Tom Jones the first time here in Dubai - seriously did not expect it to be such a great night and great show we only went to chase nickerless women at the front of the stage 8)

Bryan Adams - just a great rock show

The Subways at Alpha Club

Oh and D-P singing along in a bar with members of Steppenwolf, Toto, Foreigner & Wings in a you are joking jam session (yep on stage singing Smoke on The Water with them - lol)

Queen Alexandra Palace Bicycle Race Tour

The Pretenders as support to U2 at Wembley in mid 80's

Def Leppard in Dubai in about 97/8

Mika's gig was great and how the hell did he NOT get arrested for the whole Gay Furry Animal thing on stage here in the ME!

And of course, Madness 2 years ago here as a warm up for their Glasto gig

Glasto favs - close between Lady Gaga, Prodigy, Springstein, Leonard Cohen, White Lies. Think Gaga just gets it for the JUMP in her first song and by feck all 50,000 of us did

Worst gig - Kayne West. We went to the pub

Some of my faves were:

Blimey how did I forget about this, a dream come true and my 8 year old daughter went to see them at Reading Festival. Was fantastic and did not think i would get to see them ever!

Queen - Wembley Stadium 1986.

My first ever gig. Got to about 20 yards from the stage.

My ears were ringing for 3 days. I was getting seriously worried they'd been damaged.

Would have loved to have seen Queen, just a little but before my gig days, but not far off!!

Went and saw Muse Saturday as well for what was my 5th time too and once again they failed to disappoint! Still undecided as to whether I preferred this or the Wembley show in 2007. Their charity gig for TCT back in April 08 at the Albert Hall was probably my favourite performance of theirs I've been to.

The Radio 1 Killers gig at the Albert Hall was also immense,as was the one the following July which was filmed for their DVD. That really is an incredible venue. I went to that Warchild gig at Shepherds bush Empire that they did with Coldplay at that was pretty special. The encore of Chris Martin singing Back For Good with Gary Barlow followed by the performance of All These Things That I've Done with Coldplay, The Killers, G.B. And Bono was slightly surreal.

Foo Fighters at Wembley in 08 was an awesome show, went to the Saturday which meant I got to see the collaboration with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones which was a special moment. Likewise Green Day at the same place this summer, jeez do they know how to put on a good show. They were on for just under 3 hours and I've never seen a band get the crowd that involved with a concert. They did a good 10 song back to back run of some of their old catalogue (which I prefer as I liked GD before American Idiot was released) in the middle of the show, as well as a medley of songs by the likes of G n R, AC/DC and The Beatles. Got people from the crowd up to sing with them, fired t-shirts into the crowd with a massive bazooka thing, just really got the crowd involved.

How did I forget this gig in 2008, I went on the Saturday as well played in the round, and Led Zep oh my god what a gig!!

Ian Brown at Somerset House, the first time he played Stone Roses songs at a solo gig, and the whole place was jumping!! What a day.

Not true, he sang a Stone Roses song when he played on his first solo tour at the Wedgewood Rooms, but for the life of me i can't remember what it was. I do remember he got booed for keeping the audience waiting for about an hour.

Madness -The first Madstock finsbury park 8th august 92, their first gig after reforming and by far their best madstock in front of 70,000. David bowie milton keynes bowl 1990 which was supposed to be his farewell gig, jean loves jezebell, two way street and men they couldn´t hang supported, amazing gig as he played all his hits in order.

Blur at Hull Uni 1993

Oasis at Earl's Court 1995 and Knebworth August 10 1996

StellaStarr with Killers and Ambulance in support 2008

Supergrass at Webster Hall, NY 2008

BRMC at Webster Hall, NY April 2009

Gomez at Music Hall of Williamsburg 2009

The Charlatans at Maxwells August 2010

Not true, he sang a Stone Roses song when he played on his first solo tour at the Wedgewood Rooms, but for the life of me i can't remember what it was. I do remember he got booed for keeping the audience waiting for about an hour.

He still gets the best reaction for the Stone Roses stuff, but at Somerset house he nearly played a whole set of the Roses. He has a fantastic range of songs himself and he owns the stage and makes it look so easy..... cannot sing for toffee, but has this ora about him, and looks like he enjoys it now. Try and go and see him whenever he tours. Been to see him 8 times now!

Crass at the Ashby Centre, Shirley circa 1979.

No, I jest....

Clash at the Top Rank was tip top. That was a pretty special gig.

Well before my time, but a workmate of mine recently got me into Crass, MC5 and a whole host of others, aswell as making me truly appreciate The Clash. He often talks of that Top Rank gig, granting it as his best gig. I think it was a Clash gig in B'mouth that he once said about aswell, The venue, already sold out, was confronted by a mob of punks who were rather angry that they couldn't get in, so they forced there way in and caused mayhem, he later missed his train and ended up sleeping in a phonebox or something or other. I can't really remember, I was well and truly sozzled when he was telling me. An era I truly wish I had been part of, rather than my sh*t state, I'm Mr Rocky and I talk like a black man even though I am pale and Ginger and everyone thinks I'm hard because I listen to Jay-Z and me and my mates jump helpless souls on there walks to the shop CARP!

Christ, is this some kind of Muse love in?

Love the bit about Arcade Fire being underrated! They've sold millions of albums, been number 1 all round the world, their gigs sell out in minutes and they have been one of the most critically acclaimed bands of the past decade.

My favourite gigs:

Low, Union Chapel 2000

Wilco, Wedgewood Rooms 2004

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man, Shepherds Bush 2002

Orbital, Cambridge 1996

Elbow & PJ Harvey, Eden Project 2003

Flaming Lips, Camp Bestival 2008

Arcade Fire, Brixton Academy 2007

The Aliens, Bush Hall 2009

Faith No More, Phoenix Festival 1997

Super Furry Animals, Blissfields Festival 2009

Guns n Roses, Soundgarden and Faith No More - Wembley Stadium 1992(?)

Yeasayer - King Tuts, Glasgow 2008

Smashing Pumpkins - Odessa, Texas 1994

Jurassic 5 - Lake Tahoe, Nevada 2006

Carter USM - Brixton Fridge 1990

Black Grape - Hanover Grand 1995

Flaming Lips - Brighton Centre 2004

White Denim - Audio, Brighton 2008

Well before my time, but a workmate of mine recently got me into Crass, MC5 and a whole host of others, aswell as making me truly appreciate The Clash. He often talks of that Top Rank gig, granting it as his best gig. I think it was a Clash gig in B'mouth that he once said about aswell, The venue, already sold out, was confronted by a mob of punks who were rather angry that they couldn't get in, so they forced there way in and caused mayhem, he later missed his train and ended up sleeping in a phonebox or something or other. I can't really remember, I was well and truly sozzled when he was telling me. An era I truly wish I had been part of, rather than my sh*t state, I'm Mr Rocky and I talk like a black man even though I am pale and Ginger and everyone thinks I'm hard because I listen to Jay-Z and me and my mates jump helpless souls on there walks to the shop CARP!

There were a whole host great little bands around at that time; bands like Crass and Flux of Pink Indians had real political agendas which struck a chord with post cold war disaffected yoof. But there were others that bubbled under like The Pop Group, AK47, Jump Squad, 23 Skidoo. Well, actually 23 Skidoo didn't bubble under, they got quite big.

I once saw King Kurt and that was good for all the wrong reasons!!!!

I was also into the newish Industrial type stuff like SPK and another Oz band, Severed Heads and continental industrial stuff like and DAF and of course the fabulous Caberet Voltaire.

But my real faves were the likes of Clash, Ruts, Killing Joke, Joy Division, Undertones, Jam, Buzz****s and The Stranglers up until and including The Raven. Used to love gigging in those days 'cos it was so cheap, not just for tickets but we could get up to London to places like the Town and Country Club on wages from weekend working at Tescos....I could go on for hours about the bands and gigs back then, happy days!!!!

Christ, is this some kind of Muse love in?

Love the bit about Arcade Fire being underrated! They've sold millions of albums, been number 1 all round the world, their gigs sell out in minutes and they have been one of the most critically acclaimed bands of the past decade.

My favourite gigs:

Low, Union Chapel 2000

Wilco, Wedgewood Rooms 2004

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man, Shepherds Bush 2002

Orbital, Cambridge 1996

Elbow & PJ Harvey, Eden Project 2003

Flaming Lips, Camp Bestival 2008

Arcade Fire, Brixton Academy 2007

The Aliens, Bush Hall 2009

Faith No More, Phoenix Festival 1997

Super Furry Animals, Blissfields Festival 2009

Critically acclaimed if you read NME on a weekly basis. Not so much if you go upto Mr Joe Bloggs and ask him if he has ever heard of Arcade Fire. They are not so much mainstream, they get very occasional radio play is more along the lines I was trying to get at. There gigs sell out very quickly because there are obviously, lots of people who appreciate quite how good they are, and up until now, there gigs this side of the pond have been very few and far between.

There were a whole host great little bands around at that time; bands like Crass and Flux of Pink Indians had real political agendas which struck a chord with post cold war disaffected yoof. But there were others that bubbled under like The Pop Group, AK47, Jump Squad, 23 Skidoo. Well, actually 23 Skidoo didn't bubble under, they got quite big.

I once saw King Kurt and that was good for all the wrong reasons!!!!

I was also into the newish Industrial type stuff like SPK and another Oz band, Severed Heads and continental industrial stuff like and DAF and of course the fabulous Caberet Voltaire.

But my real faves were the likes of Clash, Ruts, Killing Joke, Joy Division, Undertones, Jam, Buzz****s and The Stranglers up until and including The Raven. Used to love gigging in those days 'cos it was so cheap, not just for tickets but we could get up to London to places like the Town and Country Club on wages from weekend working at Tescos....I could go on for hours about the bands and gigs back then, happy days!!!!

Can't stop listening to their self titled album (1980 I think)... So many great tracks. These being another that my workmate got me into. Now own most of their stuff and yet another group I would have loved to have seen back in the day.