Olympic Squad and Beckham

Saint86

Don't know if people are interested or what their views are, but Beckham has missed the final 18man cut for Team GB.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7846753/Beckham-left-out-of-Team-GB

Personally I am torn, I think the guy has given everything for his country and aside from one red card in 98 (we all make mistakes) I really can't fault his effort. On the other hand I really don't know what much about him anymore. I hear he is fit and could last the full 90 unlike some players who may get considered for politics sake but he is getting on and is he really one of the best aged over 23 players?

Also, I wonder if any saints players may make the list? Lambert perhaps. I heard that pearce watched saints a few times and I was trying to work out who he may be interested in. Came up with Lallana, cork, Lambert and Kelvin. I suppose this is the usual "look at how great saints players are" optimism/blinkers :p

What are peoples thoughts anyway?

Don't see the point if they aren't taking it seriously, and if they are you don't pick Beckham.

No chance for saints players over 23. Outside chance for Cork and Rodriguez but very, very unlikely I'd imagine.

Will be interesting to see the 3 over 23s. If it's right Bellamy has been picked it seems a bit of a waste IMO.

I can't think of any strikers I'd pick, with the exception of maybe Holt.

Bellamy wouldnt have stood a chance if he was English. It's just to get their numbers up I would have thought. Isn't Adam too old anyway? Cork & J-Rod have a chance I would have thought.

Oh yeah, turned 24 in may...for some reason I had it in my head he was born in december.

beckham not being there is a joke...he was huge in getting the Olympics here and he desperately wanted to be part of the team.

he deserved his place.

Lets not pretend team GB is going to win or...or indeed, that we as a group of nations are even taking it seriously. Football for us this year is a symbolic gesture as we are the home of the game ffs.....

IMO, pearce is just trying to be "oh look at me, i am a serious coach"...much the same reason he gave parker the captains armband that time...try get some attention

pearce is a terrible coach and hilarious how the FA hold him in such high regard

beckham not being there is a joke...he was huge in getting the Olympics here and he desperately wanted to be part of the team.

he deserved his place.

You could say the same about Seb Coe for the 800m, I'm sure he would have loved to be part of the team but lets face it BOTH of them are well past it

Beckham has been a great servant for England, but hasn't played top league football for several years. He wasn't good enough for the England squad in Poland and Ukraine so why is he good enough to represent Team GB. as for Giggs and Bellamy, they are still playing Premiership football and doing it very well. They haven't made a big tournament with Wales in their careers, so here is their opportunity.

Seb did retire 20 odd years ago, he's past it and obviosly I was being facetious. Beckham should now realise he is.

Lets not pretend team GB is going to win or...or indeed, that we as a group of nations are even taking it seriously. Football for us this year is a symbolic gesture as we are the home of the game ffs.....

IMO, pearce is just trying to be "oh look at me, i am a serious coach"...much the same reason he gave parker the captains armband that time...try get some attention

Did you copy that from the BBC site comments, or are there 2 different people who really don't have a clue about Stuart Pearce in the world? How anyone can accuse him of being egotistic is beyond belief, and even more so when its as part of a discussion about goldenballsup. Beckham Inc. is a joke, retired from serious football several years ago, and quite rightly has not been included in a GB football squad.

Anyway, whats this got to do with Saints? Unless Jack Cork is picked (highly unlikely) its really not going to impact us.

I would have picked him.

Olympic football is only watched by one man and his dog anyway, and now there is no Beckham , I doubt the dog will bother with it all.

Pearce still managed half a dozen trips out to LA probably to 'watch' Beckham. Nice work if you can get it.

I would have picked him.

Olympic football is only watched by one man and his dog anyway, and now there is no Beckham , I doubt the dog will bother with it all.

Pearce still managed half a dozen trips out to LA probably to 'watch' Beckham. Nice work if you can get it.

just heard on the radio that they still have just under 1 million tickets to sell for the football...AND GB fans have returned their tickets with the news about Beckham

Edited by Thedelldays

makes me think that a mysterious injury to Giggs, might let Beckham sneak in after all.

people are also not happy with Richards...was not interested in being on standby (which would have gotten him a call up) for England...yet is going to play (apparently) in this micky mouse comp.

just heard on the radio that they still have just under 1 million tickets to sell for the football...AND GB fans have returned their tickets with the news about Beckham

It's hardly surprising they can't shift tickets for an U-23 football tournament, they got 15,000 for Russia v Czechs in Euro96 at Anfield, how exactly are they expecting to sell UAE v Uruguay U-23s at Old Trafford or UAE v Senegal in Coventry ?!?

None of Mexico, S Korea, Gabon, Switzerland, Egypt, Belarus, NZ, Honduras or Morocco are going to shift any tickets.

Even I've only bought tickets to the QF in Cardiff and SF to Wembley just so I get to see an Olympic event, and even those I'm having second thoughts about.

As for "returned tickets due to Beckham", how do they know why tickets are being returned ? My mates sold some yesterday and it had nothing to do with the GB squad.

Old Trafford has a capacity of 75k, the Millennium Stadium 72.5k, they are hosting Egypt v NZ and Mexico v Switzerland respectively, there's 135k spare tickets right there.

Edited by The9

It's hardly surprising they can't shift tickets for an U-23 football tournament, they got 15,000 for Russia v Czechs in Euro96 at Anfield, how exactly are they expecting to sell UAE v Uruguay U-23s at Old Trafford or UAE v Senegal in Coventry ?!?

None of Mexico, S Korea, Gabon, Switzerland, Egypt, Belarus, NZ, Honduras or Morocco are going to shift any tickets.

Even I've only bought tickets to the QF in Cardiff and SF to Wembley just so I get to see an Olympic event, and even those I'm having second thoughts about.

As for "returned tickets due to Beckham", how do they know why tickets are being returned ? My mates sold some yesterday and it had nothing to do with the GB squad.

eer, because they had people on from the BOC saying as such earlier...

eer, because they had people on from the BOC saying as such earlier...

Yes, but how do THEY know ? Do you have to click on a button which says "Because is not playing" when prompted with "Why do you wish to sell the tickets?".

Yes, but how do THEY know ? Do you have to click on a button which says "Because is not playing" when prompted with "Why do you wish to sell the tickets?".

ummm..my guessing is that when people phone up to ask about returning their tickets and they say the reason that their kids wanted to see beckham.....etc

Well done Stuart Pearce for refusing to allow the Olympic football tournament to turn into a PR media-branding f*ck-fest for the Beckhams.
Agree with this. He has had his time, more time than should have been afforded him. He plays in a micky mouse league and is 37 yrs old. Wants to be a part of everything. Not sure Micah Richards should have gone though, if he isn't willing to be standby for the Euro's then tough, no Team GB.

he deserved his place.

pearce is a terrible coach and hilarious how the FA hold him in such high regard

Your ludicrous statements are said with such belief.

Pearce being a terrible coach is not a ludicrous statement bro!

Also for what it's worth I agree with delldays dat this ain't a serious football tournament and it would have been fun to see Beckham trot on for the last 20 minutes to take some corners or whatever.

Your ludicrous statements are said with such belief.

its not. this is by now way a serious football competition.

we as a nation do not take it seriously, this is the first and will be the only time we field "team GB"

we have plenty of football to get serious over.

simple fact is, Beckham was a major force in the Olympics coming here...like it or not.

I would rather see Beckham than Bellamy to be honest.

the BOC have nearly 1 million tickets STILL to shift and when a member of the BOC goes on national radio saying that people started/enquiring about returning their tickets now that Beckham is not playing.....you maybe wonder if this is worth it.

he is a footballing legend...take away the celebrity...one of the only players of that age that really gave the impression he wanted to play for England and still would if possible

I think he is a brilliant ambassador for English football

oh, and pearce is a terrible coach....

we as a nation do not take it seriously, this is the first and will be the only time we field "team GB"

simple fact is, Beckham was a major force in the Olympics coming here...like it or not.

the BOC have nearly 1 million tickets STILL to shift and when a member of the BOC goes on national radio saying that people started/enquiring about returning their tickets now that Beckham is not playing.....you maybe wonder if this is worth it.

he is a footballing legend...take away the celebrity...one of the only players of that age that really gave the impression he wanted to play for England and still would if possible

You really have honed your trolling skills in recent times..

Agreed - I 'd like to see Bobby Charlton making an appearance.

I'm with you. Shi te pointless tournament, a completely contrived team with a terrible coach in charge.

Beckham should be there. Frankly that was the only interesting thing about the team.

Hmmm....a possible 4 match ban...? In time to take up an embassadorial and/or TV role at the Olympics....?

Some might say that's quite convenient... ;-)

Never thought about that.

What a cynical world we live in. Not you, that his PR team may have had that thought in the first place.

I dont know why LA Galaxy and the MLS have put up with him; hes ripped them off with his half-hearted efforts over the years. He only went in the first place because the football was getting in the way of his other activites.

El Demento had him well-sussed years ago.