Why so much hatred for each other?

Ozpom333

just as an after thought ozpom, if ur genuinely interested in sensible & considered infos i would recommend our sister site, Ugly Inside. Lot of the bros on there was around at the time of the alleged strike so they would also be able to give 1st hand account. It's a bit more high-brow & intellectual on Ugly, but don't worry if some of the stuff they say is over ur head, they're a friendly bunch & will be happy to explain things.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/

I didn't hate them growing up or really dislike them apart from the usual banter until the League Cup in 2003 and the Bates 'silence'. That changed things for me in terms of my attitude towards them along with the riot in 2004 was appalling. I've got a number of friends who are Pompey fans, decent people who like a bit of banter in the main and worked with a few accountants who were Pompey fans and who suspected money laundering well before their troubles started to hit.

However, they've got a significant minority, around 25-30% of their fan base who are knuckle-draggers in the extreme and who grew up in Saints shadow in the 1970s, 80s and 90s. That bitterness has never left them and they justify their behaviour via fictitious dock strikes and other mythical incidents caused by the 'Scum'. They have a huge chip on their shoulder which we saw come out in 2004. The whole city has a sense of entitlement which was summed up by Cllr Vernon Jackson - or I think it was him - moaning that BBC showed Southampton on the weather forecasts and not Portsmouth.

You know what, the "Skate's" as you call them seem to be far more intelligent than you lot even though they don't have the time for Aussies either. I have looked at other forums and found the hatred here greater than anywhere else so came here and asked a civil question and found it to be a complete waste of time. At least the Pompey lads have given me a few good reasons why.

You can ****ing do one. And shove your **** Ute drivers and crappy ****water beer right up your superior arse. You and the Skates deserve each other. Tosser.

You can ****ing do one. And shove your **** Ute drivers and crappy ****water beer right up your superior arse. You and the Skates deserve each other. Tosser.

Indeed, no Saints fan would even ask questions about hatred for Pompey, it's something you sign up for at the latest with your first match ticket in the home end, might even be marked on your birth certificate from the Southampton Registry Office ..

Hating Portsmouth is a birthright for many Saints fans, they are not 'skates' they are scum, the original dirty Pompey scum. They've never won a trophy fairly, around the time of WW2 their team was full of players temporarily in the town on national service (poor bastards), and they bought the last cup win by bankrupting and stealing from local businesses / charities. The population of the place is made up of Mockney scumbags who were relocated in the slum clearances that followed the London Blitz, and the generations that have followed have Essex attitude but no style or guile. Over time the true picture of the recent gangsterism and opportunism from officials at the club will come out, but all being well they will have ceased to exist by then. Whenever they feel they are on the 'up' (once ever half century) anything goes, attacking and spitting at Parents with children, posting hate messages on Twitter to a Saints player who had just lost his infant son, or revelling at the prospect of SFC going out of business with the line 'we hope you die soon'. In short, they are easy to hate, and you should hate them too...

Personally never really hated them. I know they hate us far more than we hate them. Up until 2003 I always wanted them to join us in the premier league for the good of south coast football. Then 2 things happened. They're total lack of respect after Ted Bates passed away, and then their total lack of humility once they got to the top table.

Ever since they spent way beyond their means and bragged about it for 7 long years I've started to dislike them. Not hate, dislike.

Now it's a brilliant gift that keeps on giving as they decline further and further. I never hope they go out of existence, just that as a club they suffer for generations. Only fair...not that they'd know the definition of fair.

1. I don't like bullies - Coventry away beating up the disabled area oohhhhh they're hard!

2. I don't like being called a "Scummer" I'm a good dad, honest and hard working.

3. I don't like being hit and punched when walking down Goldsmith avenue in 1982 when just trying to catch a train.

4. I didn't very much like the fact that my mates car got a brick through the window once for displaying a Saints car sticker while daring to drive through that dump.

5. I don't like tattooed, top hat wearing, bell ringing morons urinating on our new plush away fans seating whilst making masturbating gestures towards my fellow Saints fans.

A bit embarrassed by some of you lot saying you don't really hate them. You're probably in the minority of Saints saying that though. I despise everything to do with them and would go on a week long bender if a nuclear bomb was dropped on the whole city, wiping every single one of them out.

A bit embarrassed by some of you lot saying you don't really hate them. You're probably in the minority of Saints saying that though. I despise everything to do with them and would go on a week long bender if a nuclear bomb was dropped on the whole city, wiping every single one of them out.

Some people don't really hate anyone, Griffo.

You'll probably hate them.

A very small one then, with all fall out, radiation and other nocive effects stopping dead around Gosport...oh go on then... Titchfield.

I wouldn't bomb them.

Just ship them off somewhere s**t. Somewhere full of things that can kill. Somewhere with a dry, inhospitable landscape.

You know what, the "Skate's" as you call them seem to be far more intelligent than you lot even though they don't have the time for Aussies either. I have looked at other forums and found the hatred here greater than anywhere else so came here and asked a civil question and found it to be a complete waste of time. At least the Pompey lads have given me a few good reasons why.

What a toss a

I don't like being hit and punched when walking down Goldsmith avenue in 1982 when just trying to catch a train.

I can top that.

In the 1970s, I was attacked by a Portsmouth supporter who was working the Alum Bay chairlift! The bastard spotted the Saints’ badge on my denim jacket, waited for me and my new girlfriend to get hooked into the chairlift seats, then, as we travelled past him, punched me on the side of my head.

Before they got promoted in 03 I really wasnt aware we had a local rival. Coming from between southampton and portsmouth. suddenly all my mates in secondary school that were united/ liverpool/ Chelsea fans were now "pompey fans" they were in the top flight, so most of my experience is that they aren't proper football fans. They have about 15000 fans that go to games (if that) regularly even now but apart from that they're not 'real' fans as such , they're more than happy to take the good times but as soon as its not all glory they jump ship. As someone whose had a season ticket since St Marys opened that really grinds on me , I deserve to see this good football were playing now in recompense for seeing a team whose star player was Stern John (Sheffield Utd is still one of the best games ive seen at St Marys though !)

Before they got promoted in 03 I really wasnt aware we had a local rival. Coming from between southampton and portsmouth. suddenly all my mates in secondary school that were united/ liverpool/ Chelsea fans were now "pompey fans" they were in the top flight, so most of my experience is that they aren't proper football fans. They have about 15000 fans that go to games (if that) regularly even now but apart from that they're not 'real' fans as such , they're more than happy to take the good times but as soon as its not all glory they jump ship. As someone whose had a season ticket since St Marys opened that really grinds on me , I deserve to see this good football were playing now in recompense for seeing a team whose star player was Stern John (Sheffield Utd is still one of the best games ive seen at St Marys though !)

You obviously didn't go to the games in the 60s,70s and 80s then. They have always been our rival since the beginning of time (football speaking of course)

You obviously didn't go to the games in the 60s,70s and 80s then. They have always been our rival since the beginning of time (football speaking of course)

I can relate, growing up in the 90's they simply didn't register. There was an awareness that they were meant to be a rival but they occupied a lower plane of existence, it simply wasn't relevant.

The only Pompey mate I have just wants to have a club to support. I don't really know AFL, but the crowds and atmosphere are up there, or above, with big EPL clashes. Like OP said, soccer has some supporters, but you might find only a fratton park crowd at a big game (apart from Mel Heart vs Mel Vic - proper 40K derby). So 10-15K. Yeah, I don't really understand the hate, as I was pleased when Pompey (and indeed Plymouth) went on cup runs in the 80s/90s, albeit with a patronising 'look at the plucky pompey while were Div1' point of view. Now that Saints have been though the mill, we should probably be a bit more open hearted to our neighbours.

I can relate, growing up in the 90's they simply didn't register. There was an awareness that they were meant to be a rival but they occupied a lower plane of existence, it simply wasn't relevant.

It's always been relevant, well to natives of Southampton anyway, I can't say for those who aren't from god's own city. When

you played Hampshire League football a match between a "Southampton side" and a "Portsmouth side" was always a terse affair.

The rivalry descended into every aspect of existence in the two cities.

My most disliked club? yes, hate? no - they're too insignificant to me to hate them, in fact in the words of WGS -

I’ve got more important things to think about. I’ve got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than......

.....that insignificant, tin-pot, cheating thieving bunch of inbred cvn7s

It's always been relevant, well to natives of Southampton anyway, I can't say for those who aren't from god's own city. When

you played Hampshire League football a match between a "Southampton side" and a "Portsmouth side" was always a terse affair.

Can understand it would be more intense within the cities themselves. Growing up within the catchment area but not the city (Colden Common.... Winchester and Eastleigh will always be red and white at heart) there was no day to day feel of rivalry in the 90's aside from that one game in the F.A. Cup.

It's a load of crap. I'm Southampton born and bred and have a lot of Saints fans as family or friends.

Most of them just aren't arsed about Pompey. One or two are obsessed, to the point where it's all they go on about.

The Pompey Takeover Thread is an embarrassment, imo.

It's a load of crap. I'm Southampton born and bred and have a lot of Saints fans as family or friends.

Most of them just aren't arsed about Pompey. One or two are obsessed, to the point where it's all they go on about.

The Pompey Takeover Thread is an embarrassment, imo.

Very much so. I still can't go out in daylight hours.

there was no day to day feel of rivalry in the 90's aside from that one game in the F.A. Cup.

Sir, you are overlooking that mammoth Alan Knight testimonial match at Fratton in 1995. Dave Beasant played up front with gloves on, Bally came on in midfield, they had all their "stars" back etc etc. We won 5-1 and the riot kicked off just nicely on the way out

Sir, you are overlooking that mammoth Alan Knight testimonial match at Fratton in 1995. Dave Beasant played up front with gloves on, Bally came on in midfield, they had all their "stars" back etc etc. We won 5-1 and the riot kicked off just nicely on the way out

Wasn't that in 1994? Despite being only ten at the time I remember it was quite funny.

Doing some digging and I rediscovered this article....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1250700/Saints-winners-Why-old-rivals-Southampton-Portsmouth-bitter-enemies.html

One quote in particular stands out.

‘Then, in the 1960s, hooliganism became fashionable. It happened all over the country, but on the south coast it started a rivalry that really had no history.’

A recurring theme I keep coming across whenever I read about the rivalry is that there was no real animosity for the first 60 or so years, the complete bitterness and hatred in many quarters is a relatively recent thing that coincided with the rise of hooliganism.

Edited by Colinjb

Wasn't that in 1994? Despite being only ten at the time I remember it was quite funny.

yep, my bad, May 1994, was just after we stayed up on the last day at Upton Park in the epic 3-3.

I was at Fratton and had fun getting out. Police must have been mad to sanction that as a testimonial!

It's not hatred, it's just good old football rivalry. It happens everywhere. Liverpool/Everton, Celtic/Rangers, City/United, Cardiff/Swansea, Real/Athletico, Spurs/Arsenal.

I have always said that I am happy for Pompey to do well as long as they stay where they belong - below us.

I cannot help but quietly enjoy their current status. I try to be magnaminous to my pompey mates but cannot help dropping the odd comparison into the conversation. The trouble at the moment is that it's just too easy. Innocent questions like "who are you playing this week?", "who was that who got sent off?" or "good luck for the weekend" take on a whole new meaning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1250700/Saints-winners-Why-old-rivals-Southampton-Portsmouth-bitter-enemies.html

A recurring theme I keep coming across whenever I read about the rivalry is that there was no real animosity for the first 60 or so years, the complete bitterness and hatred in many quarters is a relatively recent thing that coincided with the rise of hooliganism.

I went to Fratton in 67/8 when we won 5-2 and there was nothing in fact me and my dad sat in the stands amongst them and cheered when we scored.

It's not hatred, it's just good old football rivalry. It happens everywhere. Liverpool/Everton, Celtic/Rangers, City/United, Cardiff/Swansea, Real/Athletico, Spurs/Arsenal.

But is it really the same as most of these? Many local rivalries are pretty good natured - plenty of banter and so on, but no major crowd problems, no very strange kick off times like Sunday 12.00, no local closure orders for pubs, or heavy police presence? I am not saying its right, but its not the same as "everywhere"

I have asked the same question of the Portsmouth fans because i am interested to get your side of things as well. I am an Aussie who just loves our national sport AFL, the soccer is not so good over here so no chance of changing codes. As an interested person who flits from forum to forum, i see that there is a deep set hatred between Portsmouth and Southampton, more so than i can determine from any other boards. I have looked at the history and can only see a time when there was a strike break way back way. Is this the reason or is there something else eating you all?

Just checked your post on their forum. Seems they didn't take to you either.

Also noticed a few saying we're jealous and want to be just like them. Yes, they think we want to spend a generation in the lower leagues, followed by 7 years of top flight football (most of which in turmoil) then quickly get relegated a few times to the very foot of the football league pyramid which will take 2-3 generations to recover from if they're lucky. Yes...so envious we are.

Deluded.

P.s. It took all of about 2 replies before the "best fans" got trotted out. It's like a constant parody.

Same for me. Growing up in Southampton they didn't really register too much. I cheered when they lost but only cos I was supposed to.

I have a mate who will tell you he is "die hard pompey". Yet openly admitted to his group of mates who are all Saints fans "nah I can't be arsed to go watch them anymore. It's just crap. I'll wait until we're at least a championship team before I bother going"

And yes, he was at the cup final. At the derby games. Went to their European away games. Gave it the big one about the cup. All very quiet these days though.

Ah the benefits of Fawley.

But give Portsmouth their due, it's pretty quick and easy to get out of the place. I recently took the ferry and I was away within a minute with direct access onto the motorway. Fortunately the port is also on the proper side of the city, so the prevailing wind, carries any smell away towards Brighton (which may explain why they dislike the Skates).

As for football, do they still field a team?

It speaks volumes about Portsmouth's view of their own hideous backyard that every major junction has a directional sign reading "Out Of City". I don't recall seeing that anywhere else, and I've been to Bristol.

It speaks volumes about Portsmouth's view of their own hideous backyard that every major junction has a directional sign reading "Out Of City". I don't recall seeing that anywhere else, and I've been to Bristol.

Probably just makes it easier for skate tarts to ply their trade.

When I first went to the Dell in 1966, there was no bitter rivalry with Pompey, our rivals then were Spurs. which my understanding had been the case since the Southern league days when Spurs and Saints were regularly top dogs. Many of my family regularly went to Fratton Park one Saturday and the Dell the next. My dislike of Spurs has remained ever since. The Pompey thing used to just be friendly banter (a long time before the word banter was ever used), we hardly ever played them so why would it be any different. The hoolies took over in the late 60s/early 70s and younger people now think it was ever thus.

I lived and worked in portsmouth for a few years.

I also worked with a lot of poopey ST holders, all of whom were great for footy banter, dished it out , took it back, and were a decent bunch. They even bought me a Saints Mug when I left the job !

What REALLY got up my nose was the grief I got from those that never went near nottarf krap, absolute dogs abuse I got from some of them.

TBF, the ST type guys I worked with were not yer average knuckle dragger, of which poopey seem to have more than their fair share.

When I first went to the Dell in 1966, there was no bitter rivalry with Pompey, our rivals then were Spurs. which my understanding had been the case since the Southern league days when Spurs and Saints were regularly top dogs. Many of my family regularly went to Fratton Park one Saturday and the Dell the next. My dislike of Spurs has remained ever since. The Pompey thing used to just be friendly banter (a long time before the word banter was ever used), we hardly ever played them so why would it be any different. The hoolies took over in the late 60s/early 70s and younger people now think it was ever thus.

My dad lived on the Isle of Wight all his life and supported all the Hampshire teams including Aldershot. Back in the 1960s he used to take me to watch Saints one week and Portsmouth the next. Quite a few Islanders did this. As I recall, things changed during the time in the early/mid 1970s when both teams were in Division 2.

I thought we had some decent fans on this site but some of the replies to the OP are pretty sad. I never knew of the rivalry until I sat in the home stand at FP in 74? When we won 2-1. There were Saints fans mixed in with the home fans and at the end OWTS was sung around the ground, there was I happily joining when a 6ft + bloke put his face to mine !with spittle coming out of his mouth screamed Spastic to me.

I am not one to hate then just because they are from Pompey, I respect anyone who supports their hometown club, as. I said it is an accident of birth.

I do agree their hatred of us is much deeper, I put that down to the resentment they had of us as we were the top dogs for generations especially after they were the top team pre 1950, their fall from Grace did hurt them .

OWTS was sung around the ground, there was I happily joining in when a 6ft + bloke put his face to mine !with spittle coming out of his mouth screamed Spastic to me.

:lol:

Edit: Soz, i know that was prob a pretty traumatic event in ur life, but when i pictured it in my head it was v.funny

When I was just a little boy I asked my mother what should I be? Should I be Pompey, should I be Saints...Here's what she said to me.

Wash your mouth out son, Go get your father's gun and shoot the Pompey scum and support the Saints.

The one and only..................

Very much so. I still can't go out in daylight hours.

Seriously, mush. The longest topic on this messageboard and it's about them, FFS.

The problem is you're all in too deep to make a dignified exit now. You poor, poor bastards :)