There is Some Logic Behind Why I'm Worried About This Season

vrotherham1964

Like most of us I guess, Monday was very disappointing. With Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City coming up in the next 5 games, I noticed I'm starting to get a little worried and yet I'm normally an optimist. I wondered why and then I realised there is some logic as to why I'm worried.

5 games in we have 5 points, which at this rate will give us 38 points (maybe enough). However, looking ahead, the Top 6 games represent 12 games of the last 33. If we assume we only get say 4 points from these Top 6 games, then we need maybe 31 points from the other 21 games, which is virtually 1.5 per game. To be safe this year, logically we either need to win occasionally against the Top 6 or win plenty of games like Brighton at home.

Of course, although I'm worried, win away to Liverpool or at home to Chelsea (pleaseeeee) and all worries will go away - for now! It seems to be what being a Saints fan is all about; going from optimism (sometimes blind) to worry, but the passion never wains.

Like most of us I guess, Monday was very disappointing. With Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City coming up in the next 5 games, I noticed I'm starting to get a little worried and yet I'm normally an optimist. I wondered why and then I realised there is some logic as to why I'm worried.

5 games in we have 5 points, which at this rate will give us 38 points (maybe enough). However, looking ahead, the Top 6 games represent 12 games of the last 33. If we assume we only get say 4 points from these Top 6 games, then we need maybe 31 points from the other 21 games, which is virtually 1.5 per game. To be safe this year, logically we either need to win occasionally against the Top 6 or win plenty of games like Brighton at home.

Of course, although I'm worried, win away to Liverpool or at home to Chelsea (pleaseeeee) and all worries will go away - for now! It seems to be what being a Saints fan is all about; going from optimism (sometimes blind) to worry, but the passion never wains.

This is the point I've been making all along - we needed to take advantage of this easy start otherwise we're ****ed.

Of his first 14 games in charge, Hughes has played less than his allocated games against the big 6 (he's only played 2 games) and we're averaging under a point per game.

There is reason to be worried, but here's three reasons for hope:

- We have lots of new players who may bed in and get better

- How many times in the 90s did we have a terrible start and somehow pull it out of the bag?

- We can always sack Hughes if it isn't working and get someone else in

We lack MLT now though...and how long do we give Hughes?

We lack MLT now though...and how long do we give Hughes?

Fair point about MLT.

I think we need to assess Hughes in December - it gives him time to get it together but if necessary we can get a new man in before the January transfer window.

The big problem is our policy of only going for managers who are out of work, so we will have to assess who is available.

This is the point I've been making all along - we needed to take advantage of this easy start otherwise we're ****ed.

Of his first 14 games in charge, Hughes has played less than his allocated games against the big 6 (he's only played 2 games) and we're averaging under a point per game.

He's played 3 of the big 6 so far actually, if we're being accurate. Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City last season.

Of course there is some logic, we have played crap teams at home, we should be sitting on 12 points at least.

Should have beaten Burnley, Leicester and Brighton at home as all 3 of those teams are not very good nor are playing that well.

Plus we should have picked up a point at Everton.

We had an easy start and have stumbled along.

We now go to Liverpool, Wolves, have Chelsea at home and then Bournemouth away, so very easily could still be on 5 points 9 games in.

Surely, if Burnley (7th last year and in Europe), Leicester (PL champions 3 years ago) and Brighton (recently beat MU) are crap, who isn't crap?

It seems to me Burnley, Leicester and Brighton are exactly at our standard and therefore who we have to beat if we are to be OK. Weirdly, I feel we are a bit better than these other teams and for much of the games, looked it. Maybe we just need a better mental strength and leader on the field, a bit like our manager was as a player.

What i cant quite grasp is all pre season we played 3 at back ...tried to get in Maddison as a no 10 then we went for Armstromg who is another no 10 sort of player who can pass score goals and is very energetic .........but now we are playing a pretty predictable direct 442 syestem with no Armstrong in sight ?

What i cant quite grasp is all pre season we played 3 at back ...tried to get in Maddison as a no 10 then we went for Armstromg who is another no 10 sort of player who can pass score goals and is very energetic .........but now we are playing a pretty predictable direct 442 syestem with no Armstrong in sight ?

If you'd have seen the first hour against Burnley then you would know why we abandoned 3 at the back pretty sharpish. We looked / were woeful.

Yep he would have stopped both goals

Considering they concede less goals per game when he plays compared to when he doesn't, then yes effectively he might have done.

He carries their threat in attack, teams are scared of him, that in turn results in more possession, territory, space etc. for Palace and less threat towards their goal.

How long is Hughes contract for? The owners have paid out for the Clown's sacking, they won't want to pay out again so soon. And if they do, then we have Fat Sam on his annual rescue act. Either way, bit worrying.

They won't want to pay out on sacking Hughes, but losing a few mill to pay off a manager compared to losing £100m by dropping out the league, I think we know what might happen. Not that I believe Hughes is the reason for our trend of the past 2 and a bit seasons. We're not attracting the players we were, we're not seen as a progressive club anymore, we're not reinvesting appropriately in the squad. When we've spent £18m+ it's been an utter failure, embarrassing in fact. What is our target? Complete lack of direction from the board.

We're not even going to win the net spend league this season!!!

Shambles.

Just enjoy the season. We'll win some, we'll lose some, we'll draw some. There will be unexpected results (good and bad) and we might even get a few lucky decisions. At the end of the season if we finish mid-table then that's about 16-18 defeats. If we go down, then we go down. We pick ourselves up and watch Saints in the Championship. It's not life or death, it's just a hobby.

Just enjoy the season. We'll win some, we'll lose some, we'll draw some. There will be unexpected results (good and bad) and we might even get a few lucky decisions. At the end of the season if we finish mid-table then that's about 16-18 defeats. If we go down, then we go down. We pick ourselves up and watch Saints in the Championship. It's not life or death, it's just a hobby.

Leave those sentiments for WHEN we go down. I think we will be successful this season and stay up. I stand by my prediction of 16th.

Love it....

But can you change it to.

We’ll win some, we’ll lose some, we’ll draw sh.ite loads.

Yes, the eight points we got from our relatively easy first five games last season cushioned the blow of the later defeats by the big six and were what ultimately kept us up.

We look a hell of a lot better this season than we did last. Vestergaard is a huge improvement, as is Ings. Redmond and PEH are like new signings the way they've started.

Once we grow some balls and see out games, we'll be fine.

I think I know what you meant to say but... Vestergaard is not an improvement on Double VD

This.

Who would you have as our manager...?

If Reed and Freddy left who would you like to see replace them...?

Would a new manager get the best or get us playing better than we are now,with added pressure on the squad to save thier wage packets for another season?

Wheres Gallagher and Gabbi ?.....or is Shane (he runs all day but cant score for sh!t) Long the only forward option we have in the future?..........