Swiss bid led by Billionaires!

Saint Charlie

I think you'll find that TT's particular brand of optimism could only emanate from the West Coast. You of all people should know that.

Talking of which, I'm off now to Cape Town and the internet-free wilds beyond until Friday. If you lot haven't sorted this all out by the time I get back I'll be round all your houses.

Thanks for correcting me, I meant the West Coast or the one on the left, Huntingdon Beach and a whole new meaning to the 'beautiful game'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebherr

Serious trucks!

The prospective new owners are worth £3.5 Billion, 157th richest people in the world.

Typical bl88dy Saints. With Paul Allen we had the 17th richest person in the world. We screwed up there and now have to make do with the 157th richest.

That's 140 places lower!! It just isn't good enough!!

He wasn't Scooby, but he's been a serial id-changer - Flashman at the Charge, The Fourth Bear, Sundance Beast, Nineteen Canteen. Oh, and a user called Speculator, exhibiting remarkably similar style and views, popped up and disappeared again rather quickly just recently. Hence my little dig.

Are you alleging I am quondam? Stop your barking and give it a hug.

I have to say I'd prefer not to see obscene amounts of money pumped into the club. Part of the joy of supporting Saints over the years has been their ability to punch above their weight. Expectations created by mega bucks are rarely met.

And by the way, how do you think the Liebherrs got so wealthy? By giving away money to football clubs? If they arrive it will be a business proposition to provide advertising for the Liebherr empire. Don't think cranes, think kitchens.

Although the late Hans Liebherr may not have made his money by giving it away to football clubs, since he died his son and daughter who now own the company have apparently alreay rescued one football club in Austria, and also do give money to charity, as per the article in the Mail "£50,000 was donated to three local charities as part of a deal for the Swiss company to supply Southampton Container Terminals with two cranes"

So, the thing is they are not in a position now where they need to make money, they can afford to be seen as benefactors as long as their huge business empire continues to tick along nicely as it is clearly doing.

Edited by VectisSaint
No I was right first time, Austrian

I have to say I'd prefer not to see obscene amounts of money pumped into the club. Part of the joy of supporting Saints over the years has been their ability to punch above their weight. Expectations created by mega bucks are rarely met.

I can't see them pumping in mega millions, just enough me thinks to win matches.

I can't take much more of this!!!!

Please god let it be true but how many times can us Southampyon fans be built up only to be smashed back down a again!!

I feel exactly the same, I just NEED this entire situation to be resolved one way or another for the sake of my health!

Where's the fun in that? You might as well support Chelsea...!

That was all well and good before idiots like Abromovich and Man Citys arab came along, they have changed the way football is run, we did so well in the past (80's) because it was more of an even playing field and running the club sensibly you could achieve something.

Even when we were in the Premiership we started to struggle, other teams had more money than us, as sugar daddys started buying teams and pumping money in, trying to live within your means just means you will gradually decline unless you're a worldwide brand (man u, liverpool etc).

As crap as it is the only way of achieving anything in football is by spending money, if you don't jump on the bandwagon you get left behind. It's no coincidence that the most successful teams are the richest.

Would you prefer Biggles?

I suspect if we had a West African consortium taking us over you would have little black sambo as your aviator, or German irt would be Hitler. I just find it slightly stange you are being that offensive to someone who is attempting to the club.

Although the late Hans Liebherr may not have made his money by giving it away to football clubs, since he died his son and daughter who now own the company have apparently alreay rescued one football club in Austria, and also do give money to charity, as per the article in the Mail "£50,000 was donated to three local charities as part of a deal for the Swiss company to supply Southampton Container Terminals with two cranes"

So, the thing is they are not in a position now where they need to make money, they can afford to be seen as benefactors as long as their huge business empire continues to tick along nicely as it is clearly doing.

That they give away money to charity can't be compared with buying a football club, can it? The only thing similar is that you don't get a return on your money.

What's the story about the Austrian club?

Mole, I find your aviator quite offence. I only hope you are about 12 years old

I suspect if we had a West African consortium taking us over you would have little black sambo as your aviator, or German irt would be Hitler. I just find it slightly stange you are being that offensive to someone who is attempting to the club.

You have unwittingly ended up making a fool of yourself.

Agreed - even if it means getting Hoddle back! :)

If this deal goes through I won't care who they choose as manager as long as he has the experience and credentials to manage. Sturrock and Wigley were both very poor choices in 2004.

Grazer AK went into admin 2007, bankrupt in 2008 and kicked out of league. Now a regional side owned by Liebherr - didn't get promoted last year. They had a decent enough past, playing in the former Arnold Schwarzenegger stadium, with Emmanual Pogatetz amongst others

good to see you calmed down after your original post....

You spotted that?

Ha ha..... In mitigation, I'm in my second week of giving up smoking and seem to be apologising to a lot of people recently.

At least on the forum I can edit rather than apologise.

;)

That they give away money to charity can't be compared with buying a football club, can it? The only thing similar is that you don't get a return on your money.

What's the story about the Austrian club?

See earlier posts, but then again they could have been a wind-up, can find no evidence myself.

WTF? :rolleyes: Where's the fun in having no money? I'd love it if we had obscene money to spend, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't.

Well I thought the money being paid to Terry if he moved to Man City was obscene £10m a year

You spotted that?

Ha ha..... In mitigation, I'm in my second week of giving up smoking and seem to be apologising to a lot of people recently.

At least on the forum I can edit rather than apologise.

;)

Have a smoke, you know you want to.:p

Grazer AK went into admin 2007, bankrupt in 2008 and kicked out of league. Now a regional side owned by Liebherr - didn't get promoted last year. They had a decent enough past, playing in the former Arnold Schwarzenegger stadium, with Emmanual Pogatetz amongst others

I also think they were deducted 28 points , refused a license to play in the upper two divisions of the Austrian league , therefore were demoted to the lowers leagues. They ground share with another team and by the looks of it have not had ££££££££££££ pumped into the club , basicaly they saved the club from going out of business.....IF they took over at SFC i doubt they would be pumping loads of cash into the club but steady the club and I can't see us being / doing a Man City , I don't think we will be being linked to the purchase of premiership players that sort of stuff , but we will have a club to support , a team to cheer on and hopefully a secure future.

Maybe not, but we probably need it to do well in the Premiership, if and when we get there. Surely everyone wants us to be as successful as possible, and obviously we will be a better position to do well if these guys take over. Trying not to get too excited until it goes through though. Been let down so many times in recent weeks, so I'll believe it when I see it.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})