Swiss bid led by Billionaires!

Saint Charlie

Just told my wife and all she did was roll her eyes and said did I remember how excited I was re Paul Allen ?

Just wait and see and don't build your hopes up yet again :(:(:(

Exactly, I'm assuming this is Paul Allen II, or Mag Five II, or whatever other bullshît we've been fed over the last years. One good thing, this one won't drag on for 6 months.

I think we'd have the 6th richest owners - slightly different. I don't think how rich they are is the most important thing, how they run their businesses is the a bigger consideration. They seem to be extremely well run and successful which makes me cautiously optimistic today, despite all the negativity flying around here.

Something is going down if I read Fry's language correctly and the fact that Wotte passed on on a lucrative contract elsewhere would seem to back this up. The hints about Wayne Thomas being too expensive give the impression that the new owners have a business model for the club's future and that we are not going to do a "Manchester City" anytime soon. If are new owners are the Liebherr group then the signs are that they will be more financially prudent than another financial prudence that ran the club but they'll also have enough in their pockets to keep us going during hard times.

yeah I think thats what I was getting at. On paper we would be the 6th richest club due to the owners being that rich. By no means does that turn into 100 million pound transfer targets and so on. Im all for the club being run the right way and earning our status back. Knowing we are not looking over our shoulder at negitive bank ballences and loans will do wonders to the club IMO. And if we can build things up from the grass routes right through to the 1st team I will be a very happy saints fan.

yeah I think thats what I was getting at. On paper we would be the 6th richest club due to the owners being that rich. By no means does that turn into 100 million pound transfer targets and so on. Im all for the club being run the right way and earning our status back. Knowing we are not looking over our shoulder at negitive bank ballences and loans will do wonders to the club IMO. And if we can build things up from the grass routes right through to the 1st team I will be a very happy saints fan.

What are you suggesting - that we invest in having the best Academy in the Country?

What are you suggesting - that we invest in having the best Academy in the Country?

yeah ok I can see what your getting at. I mean from the local schools to the acadamy to the reserves right to the 1st team.

Id like to see the Saints be a team that is all about Southampton. Doesnt matter how much money the owners or club might have. If they turn our club into something to be proud of once again it doesnt matter so much what league we are in. Besides, if more is done with the right age groups maybe we can prize even more tallent in and out of our already praised youth system and if we can find a way to turn more into 1st team players we might end up with a few players that really do love our club as its the one they supported right from the start.

Still don't get the link from construction vehicles, cranes, fridges, hotels to a football club.

There isn't one, but (a) lots of other clubs are owned by organisations that have diverged into the football indudustry, and (b) who cares!

Hope it's true.

Still don't get the link from construction vehicles, cranes, fridges, hotels to a football club.

They've already been involved with Football club sponsorship before. As far as I can see, from 1997 Liebherr were the sponsors of Grazer AK, who won the Austrian League title in 2004.

The story had an even worse ending that ours, as the club went into Administration during 06/07 season, and were docked 28 points. The following season they were relegated to the regional leagues and just managed to secure financial survival in September 08.

The sponsorship with Liebherr ended in 2007 - so some of this may be familiar to them...

Note that although they may have had the funds, as main sponsors they clearly didn't rescue the club from EUR 15m of debt, so I would ease off on the '6th richest club' statements... Although as owners, it may be a different approach!

OK how about: this company makes huge cranes (amongst other things). two have recently be installed in to Southampton container port. When you want to sell you take your prospective customers to a user site. In doing that you try to give them a good time with a few 'treats'. So, for example, you have a prospective customer from a container port in the far east, you fly them into the UK and then helicopter them down from Heathrow to Southampton Airport and take them to Lainston House (or somewhere else very expensive to stay). You then take them to the docks and show them your cranes, then back to the stadium to sample some of the best catering available (?) and treat them to an experience of good old English football ...

or: this company is huge but it's name is not that well known as it makes pretty exclusive products for a minority market. It is a brand however with many other facets but the UK just does not identify with it. So, a league 1 team will play in 25 different English cities and towns next year and possibly the year after, say a quarter of a million plus people will be exposed to your name. After promotion you spend two years in the Championship and another half a million people see your name plus a fair few hundred thousand more will see it via television. Then the pay back - the Premiership and another million people will see your name at grounds and countless millions across the UK and Europe on TV. In five years your unfamiliar name is becoming a household name ...

Believe me, a £15m outlay and some further investment will be more than recouped in increased sales in five years. The marketing potential for a company like this is enormous and that is why they are going to do it and make a good job of it. They make a good job of everything they do, that is why they are where they are.

It just needs the other bidders to keep out of their way now and not muddy the waters with the creditors and their plan can start to roll. Slowly at first while they take stock, take advice, and make their plans. Don't expect changes over night, but they will mean business.

OK how about: this company makes huge cranes (amongst other things). two have recently be installed in to Southampton container port. When you want to sell you take your prospective customers to a user site. In doing that you try to give them a good time with a few 'treats'. So, for example, you have a prospective customer from a container port in the far east, you fly them into the UK and then helicopter them down from Heathrow to Southampton Airport and take them to Lainston House (or somewhere else very expensive to stay). You then take them to the docks and show them your cranes, then back to the stadium to sample some of the best catering available (?) and treat them to an experience of good old English football ...

or: this company is huge but it's name is not that well known as it makes pretty exclusive products for a minority market. It is a brand however with many other facets but the UK just does not identify with it. So, a league 1 team will play in 25 different English cities and towns next year and possibly the year after, say a quarter of a million plus people will be exposed to your name. After promotion you spend two years in the Championship and another half a million people see your name plus a fair few hundred thousand more will see it via television. Then the pay back - the Premiership and another million people will see your name at grounds and countless millions across the UK and Europe on TV. In five years your unfamiliar name is becoming a household name ...

Believe me, a £15m outlay and some further investment will be more than recouped in increased sales in five years. The marketing potential for a company like this is enormous and that is why they are going to do it and make a good job of it. They make a good job of everything they do, that is why they are where they are.

It just needs the other bidders to keep out of their way now and not muddy the waters with the creditors and their plan can start to roll. Slowly at first while they take stock, take advice, and make their plans. Don't expect changes over night, but they will mean business.

Good point

So we cannot be sure that the Swiss will win the Saints. Keith Harris also has a "consortium" according to the article. Does that group include Lowe, I wonder?

Please, Noooooooooooooooooooo...................

I thought Lowe hates Harris ? certainly slagged him off im sure.

****ed up the link earlier, this was what I meant to post ( I hope :cool:)

Change the music to OWTS and the kissers and dancers into Saints colours celebrating a goal and Bobs your uncle a dead cert winner in The Club shop.

I still get the feeling that the pig will sprout wings and start flying though.:(

PS Note the nameHones as well, wasn't he a one time Director, coincidence or what huh ;)

So then hopefully by this time tomorrow we will have new owners, be out of admin and can in theory actually buy some players that are maybe better quality then Ryan Smith,Molyneux,Liptak etc..

But even with all that i wonder what will be the first thing people will moan about? ;)

Getting closer. Nobody buys football clubs to sell cranes and heavy duty mining trucks. But to sell kitchens and white goods with a name which isn't known in the UK £15M is cheap in advertising cost. If enough interest is wound up in Southampton our shirts will be seen, so will the stadium, all bedecked in "Liebherr". Matches maybe played in Liebherr St Mary's Stadium. This makes sense.

The Company will also wish to put more Cranes into the Docks. Who better to buy them from and get planning permission for, than the Company who saved the Saints. The Council place tremendous value on the Football Club putting the City on the advertising map.

Getting closer. Nobody buys football clubs to sell cranes and heavy duty mining trucks. But to sell kitchens and white goods with a name which isn't known in the UK £15M is cheap in advertising cost. If enough interest is wound up in Southampton our shirts will be seen, so will the stadium, all bedecked in "Liebherr". Matches maybe played in Liebherr St Mary's Stadium. This makes sense.

Hmm yes that does start to make sense. Do we know what sort of percentage of their business the white goods product lines make up?

Candy washing machines on Liverpool shirts, Liebherr cigar cabinets on Saints' shirts.

Who knows?

If it saves the club I love it can be Liebherr this Liebherr that Liebherr every bloody thing

Well, staying power above and beyond any mere mortals

Mental strength and belief

And sheer obstinacy to accept defeat to achoeve a glorious and historical victory

And Federer put in a fair effort as well. Always thought the Swiss were a little bit sort of neutral - not anymore

Well done to Fed Express, let's hope it's a double whammy for that country this week

(Then no doubt we will find out that Keith Harris is in the US talking to Paul Allen who is his client to buy us....)

doh

did I read on here somewhere that Liebherr in english is Man Love? :o

All the away fans are going to have a field day if it is.

I take the credit for that - in pidgin O Level only just German, Liebe = Love, Herr is sort of = MR or man.

Somebody else mentioned James May doing a thing about one of their trucks which suddenly brought to mind the Top Gear special in the US where they drove from Miami to New Orleans and had to paint each other's cars as they went through Redneck country.....

Hell, if they buy us and really run us properly I'll take the abuse. They invest mega bucks and take us into Europe - hell I'd wear the Tee-Shirt

(Though not over here, they sort of don't like that type of thing, is like better to sh*g a fat chick on the beach in public than to wear a tee shirt saying THAT)

You do know you could get a TV ad on an episode of Coronation Street every week for a year for about £15m. Or, if you really wanted to sell fridges to football fans, in the ad breaks in every single CL game shown on ITV.

There are more efficient ways of building a national brand than buying a third tier football club.

Not saying they won't buy us, but that wouldn't be the reason.

It could be (Very) Extravagent Local PR and/or corporate entertaining for key docks contacts (including the council) maybe, but still, it'd be cheaper just to give them a backhander.

God knows why they want us (if they do) but by god love em for it.

Edited by CB Fry

You do know you could get a TV ad on an episode of Coronation Street every week for a year for about £15m. Or, if you really wanted to sell fridges to football fans, in the ad breaks in every single CL game shown on ITV.

There are more efficient ways of building a national brand than buying a third tier football club.

Absolutely, or for £15m you could alternatively have an ad above every Google search for white goods in the UK for the next 5 years and it would be infinitely more effective for brand building and capturing sales intent than, uh, buying a football club. Acquiring a third tier football team certainly isn't part of any marketing plan I've ever worked on.

did I read on here somewhere that Liebherr in english is Man Love? :o

All the away fans are going to have a field day if it is.

Think it's a name, and would read closer to the English surname 'Loveman' - which isn't that terrible really!

Absolutely, or for £15m you could alternatively have an ad above every Google search for white goods in the UK for the next 5 years and it would be infinitely more effective for brand building and capturing sales intent than, uh, buying a football club. Acquiring a third tier football team certainly isn't part of any marketing plan I've ever worked on.

I agree, but after the run of google/corrie ads have dried up would you still have an asset worth £15M+?

Put simply, a company could look at this a virtually 'free' advertising, with the potential to make a profit on the investment. Add that to the 'status symbol' nature of buying a club.... And who knows, the whole thing might just be a little bit fun too!

Heck, I'd say it trumps a £15m traditional advertising campaign on a number of levels...

The Liebherr bid story ( daily mail) is now being linked on an American Mining and Construction Equipment companys web site , who update the market about the industries big players and their latest news

Does that mean that this story is 100% true then?

More worringly...

The Swiss have apparently been around for 4 or more weeks. Total confidentiality and professionalism and strict NDA's.

Which begs the question what FOOKIN IDIOT has leaked their name to the Mail

IF they wanted confidentiality either some moron at the club needs to be fired immediately OR their competitors have leaked it.

Now THAT worries me more than my original analysis of who is friends with Seymour Pierce...

MB - this gets more worrying - Seymour Pierce then the name published in....

The Daily Mail

Somebody better book St Richmond in for therapy quick

Well, apparantly there is a press conference tommorow morning (monday).

So perhaps it is all complete ???

[-o

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})