Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

What does the size of the crowd have to do with anything? I've NEVER said we had massive support, I don't particularly WANT massive support, my best Pompey memories are as a young man when crowds of 8,000 were the norm. Some weeks I'd go with every intention of going to the game and end up never making it out the pub! It was all about belonging and whilst i'm aware that'll never be recaptured (as it's part of my youth), it'd be nice to culturally see a return, minus the hooliganism, to what I enjoyed as a youth. Saints can have the support, stick another Teir on your stadium, fill it with 50,000 yellow wig wearing fools chanting Yellows, Yellows, yellows! I'm Pompey till I die mate, never wanted to be anything like your bunch. As you lot love to point out we're very different. :)

Oh yeah, before anyone gives me any ****, i'm watching the game at home with a nasty case of the sniffles. My missus is taking her mum instead! ;)

PES, sometimes you come across as a decent bloke and fan, who talks a lot of sense.....but then you go and spoil it with just a touch of bitterness.

your bigger than us and since the late 60's been numerically better supported and yet you've won f*ck all in comparrison. :)

I'm 41, not interested in any Grandad facts from the war years. I was brought up in Fareham, I had a choice - Pompey or Saints, glad I chose Saints:

One proper FA Cup win (against Man U from a division up)

Runners up in a league & a Zenith cup (one more to come soon)

Seen a new, bigger stadium delivered

27 year unbroken spell in the top flight

Many Legends on the pitch like Le Tissier, Keegan, Shearer, Channon, Ball, Osgood, Wallace & now Lambert

Apart from beating 2 average champioship teams at Wembley in scruffy matches, what you got?

By that I mean a successful club going to the wall. Look Paul, if your not going to be even handed then I'm wasting my breath. I'm straight about things, especially comparissons. Portsmouth will be by far the most Successful club to go to the wall in Post war Britain. We've often punched above our weight, for whatever reason (I know what the reasons are by the way, but facts is facts) and I believe we are 'pound for pound' probably the most decorated club in Britain, your bigger than us and since the late 60's been numerically better supported and yet you've won f*ck all in comparrison. :)

Some sort of AFC Portsmouth is probably sustainable in the Blue Square Premier or Blue Square South - maybe in lower ends of League Two. I'd imagine crowds of about 2,000 or so.

Without Fratton Park, you'll probably have to share with Havant.

Portsmouth isn't much of a football town. Crowds of 17,000 in the Premiership are lamentable. But I'd imagine a semi-pro club is feasible, even with such limited interest in football in the city.

By that I mean a successful club going to the wall. Look Paul, if your not going to be even handed then I'm wasting my breath. I'm straight about things, especially comparissons. Portsmouth will be by far the most Successful club to go to the wall in Post war Britain. We've often punched above our weight, for whatever reason (I know what the reasons are by the way, but facts is facts) and I believe we are 'pound for pound' probably the most decorated club in Britain, your bigger than us and since the late 60's been numerically better supported and yet you've won f*ck all in comparrison. :)

All to be expunged soon.

Next season we will be celebrating 125 years of SFC and all the history that goes with it.

Your club will be in it's first season, playing Totton.

PES, sometimes you come across as a decent bloke and fan, who talks a lot of sense.....but then you go and spoil it with just a touch of bitterness.

I'm not made of wood Sylvia. I reserve the right to be bitter from time to time. :)

Radio Solent saying takeover immenient in next 24 hours. Madness that they peddle any hope other than admin or liquidation. How they take any bidder serously given timescales, finance and 1st March.

Just also reposting Soldefending decison to Sue Portsmouth

"Sol Campbell: I was right to take on Portsmouth"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7034240.ece

Longer interview with sol

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article7034448.ece

solent reporting that a deal could be done as early as monday. fact or fiction?

Impossible to say, one thing is for certain though - they will say a deal is being done regardless of what's happening.

They've tried every trick in the book so far, expect some businessman/billionare to be wheeled out Mon or Tues saying time is needed for due dilligence etc.

I'm straight about things, especially comparissons. Portsmouth will be by far the most Successful club to go to the wall in Post war Britain. We've often punched above our weight, for whatever reason (I know what the reasons are by the way, but facts is facts) and I believe we are 'pound for pound' probably the most decorated club in Britain, your bigger than us and since the late 60's been numerically better supported and yet you've won f*ck all in comparrison. :)

Indeed, you're trophy laden..........

So now it's gonna be taking pride in being the biggest ever English club to go to the wall?

Congrats

I'm 41, not interested in any Grandad facts from the war years. I was brought up in Fareham, I had a choice - Pompey or Saints, glad I chose Saints:

One proper FA Cup win (against Man U from a division up)

Well done, we also won a 'Proper' FA Cup after beating the soon to be crowned European Champions away at Old Trafford before lifting a trophy won for you by a Pompey Fan.

Runners up in a league & a Zenith cup (one more to come soon)

Second place is First Loser, well done.

Seen a new, bigger stadium delivered

WTF?? Whats this got to do with the price of cheese? Pompey has a Boardroom designed by Versace.

27 year unbroken spell in the top flight

Impressive and unmatched by Pompey, however what did you win in the 27 years?

Many Legends on the pitch like Le Tissier, Keegan, Shearer, Channon, Ball, Osgood, Wallace & now Lambert

Legends are relative as your own inclusion of Lambert proves. Legends of my time include Hateley, Biley, Blake, Walsh, Whittingham, Prosinecki, Merson, Berger, De Zeuww, Kanu and many more, who just like yourself I hold in my memory with affection.

Apart from beating 2 average champioship teams at Wembley in scruffy matches, what you got?

I have in my lifetime Similar memories to yours except they are much more recent, in fact as recent as last week. :D

Sorry Paul, your arguement does not wash as far as i'm concerned, you just move the Goal posts to suit your own ends. I could do exactly the same should I wish, but I get no satisfaction in this level of debate. No offence. (Oh go on then, I just can't help myself, look what you've done, you've made me sink to your level!) ;)

"in fact as recent as last week"

Theres another one, you beat a mid table league one club with players obtained while insolvent, whoppee effin do!

Try beating Man U 6-3, now thats achievement!

PS - Looking forward to seeing your Versace Boardroom knocked down on March 2nd :D

i dont understand waht does it mean him buying the ground? good news for them or not ?

Don't think so, all I think it means is when the skates go pop and HMRC have had their debts paid, the geezer can do what he pleases with the land and recoup some of his loan.

i dont understand waht does it mean him buying the ground? good news for them or not ?

SNAFU for them I think. They owed him 17million but owned their ground.

They have now relinquished the ground but still owe him 7 million.

More importantly, they still owe HMRC some 12+ million. So it's just moved goalposts.

Unless Chanrai has given them 10 million in readies?

I'd severely doubt that.

I missed the 6-3 with Salmonela !

News on Solent, Chanrai has taken FP for £10 Mill off of his debt. Don't own there ground now. The new FC Skates would have to find £1 Mill a year in Rent .

Best case scenario for them: What's likely to be their player bill per week if they are in the CCC next season?

I'm trying to work out their likely weekly running costs :)

My gut reaction is that this is good news for Pimpey. If he is still wanting to sell the club on he can do it as a whole package rather than just a struggling team in a small old stadium.

SNAFU for them I think. They owed him 17million but owned their ground.

They have now relinquished the ground but still owe him 7 million.

More importantly, they still owe HMRC some 12+ million. So it's just moved goalposts.

Unless Chanrai has given them 10 million in readies?

I'd severely doubt that.

So their debt is £10m less but they've lost £10m off their list of assets. So they're not actually any better off as far as the bankruptcy judge is concerned :D

Best case scenario for them: What's likely to be their player bill per week if they are in the CCC next season?

I'm trying to work out their likely weekly running costs :)

Will the FL want to soil their hands? Or would it be feasible for the blue phew to plummet straight through after a season in CCC on a record points penalty?

Storrie teller is off again.

''it was the premier leagues idea for us to sell players outside the window, not ours''

errr ok then, so the premier league have the idea, it gets the OK by fifa and then they go back and reject their own idea

keep spinning storrie. ******.

So their debt is £10m less but they've lost £10m off their list of assets. So they're not actually any better off as far as the bankruptcy judge is concerned :D

I would say they are worse off because even after administration or liquidation, whoever owns the club will have to fork out £1mill a year in rent to Chanrai for Fratton Park.

If this mystery South African consortium pass the Premier League's "Fit and Proper Persons" check, will Pompey fans challenge the Premier League's judgement straight away or will they wait until they turn out to be 'unfit' and THEN have a go at the Premier League?!

Cake and eat it anyone...?

I would say they are worse off because even after administration or liquidation, whoever owns the club will have to fork out £1mill a year in rent to Chanrai for Fratton Park.

This is what I'm trying to factor in to my 'business plan' :)

They've got to take £43,500 in gates per match (based on 24 teams in their new league) to cover the £1m.

Now I need to know likely player wages, staff wages, tax, NI (oh oops, they don't pay those, do they) etc. etc. etc.

If this mystery South African consortium pass the Premier League's "Fit and Proper Persons" check, will Pompey fans challenge the Premier League's judgement straight away or will they wait until they turn out to be 'unfit' and THEN have a go at the Premier League?!

Cake and eat it anyone...?

This is the sort of Ponzi scheme being investigaged for financial irregularities, right?

Allegedly.

If Portsmouth are really about to be saved by a consortium of South African millionaires, why did Chainrai see it necessary to claim the ground in lieu of payment? Surely, if he just waits until Monday (a "massive day" according to ol' honest pete) these mystery South Africans will come in with all the money necessary to pay Chainrai back.

According to David Conn in the Guardian, they were fully repaid:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2010/feb/10/portsmouth-cardiff-hmrc-winding-up

Fair play to ML if this is true.

No way I'm getting into an argument about what David Conn says.

As some will know I did try and help out at the time and so using that and my knowledge that ML is a very successful businessman, let's leave at "I'll beg to differ"

I could of course be wrong and he paid 30 mil or so cash for the club rather than the 14-18mil cash that Mark Fry appeared to be seeking

Impossible to say, one thing is for certain though - they will say a deal is being done regardless of what's happening.

They've tried every trick in the book so far, expect some businessman/billionare to be wheeled out Mon or Tues saying time is needed for due dilligence etc.

Agreed what better timing than just before kickoff to get everone thinking they still have hope !!

The general rule is that any transaction entered into by the company after the commencement of a winding up is void unless the transaction is authorised or validated by the court.

No not necessarily .Only if it affects value of assets( Ie Asset stripping) Investing £30 million in cash would make them solvent.

Ah PES, what defines the size of a club?

The trophy cabinet? or it's standing and the loyalty of the support?

In which case Leeds United may just beg to differ on the largest club to go pop since the war, or were you meaning largest club to cease to exist, in which case yep, sure beats Accrington Stanley, Aldershot et al

You tried to make a valid point but couldn't help yourself. If you are to create something new then the FIRST lesson you and your Trust Members MUST learn is to cut out the Fan Friendly rhetoric. Dear old Leon tried that and it is just sad. STFU and get on with the job and the football world will wish you well, sound off about changing the world and Star Wars and you sound like the Wimbledon idiots trying to move to Dublin and our own idiot with his Klingons quote.

You guys have no part to play until the crooks and fools in your boardroom play the end game -WHICHEVER way that goes. If it is all bravado then shut up and get on with the work or you'll just look like a poor mans' Storrie

If Portsmouth are really about to be saved by a consortium of South African millionaires, why did Chainrai see it necessary to claim the ground in lieu of payment? Surely, if he just waits until Monday (a "massive day" according to ol' honest pete) these mystery South Africans will come in with all the money necessary to pay Chainrai back.

Assumption is that they would then own an asset rather just shed load of debt. So lets say they pay £17 mill for the ground they still have to pay the debts of £50 million or more of which £15 mill are to HMRC by next Monday.

Still does not make any business sense as any businessman could buy them for peanuts after Monday if they are only interested in the LAND.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})