What's the rush?

hamster

Seriously, what is people's rush to get promoted from League 1? Are we not having one of the most enjoyable seasons since I don't know when?

I for one and loving it down here and although it would be naieve to not want success, one solitary season at this level would be a shame, we meet some decent fans and visit some great towns and 'prper' footbal grounds. It's relatively cheap enetertainment and their are no real favourites in any games.

I want us to succed of course but I'm not in any rush. Down here you get the chance to breathe the football experience, smell the grass and taste the mud. And the games come so thick and fast that when we have a bad game, it's not long before we get to put it behind us.

I'm loving it, who's next? Leeds eh, bring it on.

sorry, it was a bit of a w*nky reply. It was fairly similar to the 'promised land' thread. Sorry hammy.

Please don't apologise, I have come to expect it from you, anyway curt and to the point suits me just fine.

we should though be careful what we wish for imo.

Because the same thing will happen again if we don't get back to the CCC as soon as we can.

Markus or not. Our good players will leave, our manager will get sacked through poor form and we'll end up sliding down the table.

Ask Leeds what it's like to be here for their 3rd season, that they might be about to make their 4th.

Best season this century and I include 2003 in that, I think those of us who have seen many years of good and bad times do have in general more of a realistic perspective on things. Had it not been that way back in the 70's I suspect Lawrie Mac would not have survived long enough to win us the FA Cup. These days it is fast food, fast cars, everything is needed yesterday ( why are so many people and indeed football clubs in so much debt ? ) when in my experience the anticipation adds to the enjoyment so when the success we all want does arrive it is all the sweeter.

" Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.”

Of course I want us to go up, but if we're down here for one more season I certainly won't mind. I'm loving it too- the tickets are cheap, the fans are friendly, the grounds are 'traditional' and we go into every game knowing we have a good chance of winning. It's also nice to be a big fish in a small pond for once.

Happy clappy here - never really expected promotion this year. Enjoying having a stable, forward thinking club on the up, and winning more than we lose.

Expect another season of much the same - would like to keep the squad together for next year and see where that takes us. If we aren't there or thereabouts come the end of next season, then perhaps it's time for change.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Nothing's guaranteed. Who knows what will happen next season? Many people assume it'll be a bit of a cake-walk next year. Not necessarily.

So, it's not a matter of being in a rush; it's a matter of just wanting to grab at any chance to be promoted, however slim the odds.

Pretty much what I was about to type. Just imagine how enjoyable next season will be if, for some odd reason, we're bloody useless, or just not good enough. I call that OUCH..! :(

This is not quite the same as my thinking but not far off. I still want us to succeed and be promoted fairly quickly because we will need to be for reasons given above - if we're not Pardew will be sacked, players will leave and we could just become Leeds, destined to stay here forever. I simply won't go as much in the Premiership because I know in my heart of hearts it won't be as much fun, win or lose.

Think the fundamental difference now is the team and the type of players we have signed.

When we go up to the CCC in a year's time, we will have the nucleus of a good side and one that has players that we can associate with.

Having the core of this team in the CCC versus having a bunch of over paid old relics? It has taken a long time this season, but slowly we have stopped having digs at the players and started to understand their limitations and roles in the side.

When was the last time we had multiple threads about the "quality" of our players/new signings? RL, Fonte, Puncheon, heck even Semi is starting to get some grudging respect.

Compare that to the days of Jermaine Wright, Jason Euell, Ricardo Fuller, McGoaldrought et al, there is a fundamental difference.

Clearly the team this year hasn't managed to pull off the dream of straight up, and clearly we have had some awful away days and results (I include Brizzle at home in that), but I think that slowly we are starting to feel some pride in our team instead of "fearing for the worst".

IMHO that's why it is more fun this season, it's going to be frustrating next season when we all speculate about how good we would have been in the CCC while losing in the Mud at Wycombe in midweek.

This year has been a healing process. We re-discovered that watching (listening to) football can be fun. But it is time to move on up

Best season this century and I include 2003 in that, I think those of us who have seen many years of good and bad times do have in general more of a realistic perspective on things. Had it not been that way back in the 70's I suspect Lawrie Mac would not have survived long enough to win us the FA Cup. These days it is fast food, fast cars, everything is needed yesterday ( why are so many people and indeed football clubs in so much debt ? ) when in my experience the anticipation adds to the enjoyment so when the success we all want does arrive it is all the sweeter.

" Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.”

How charming. My impatience is not that I demand we get promoted but that we compete to get promoted not see the season fizzle out because we cant beat Tranmere.

Oh the wise Owls who say this is so typical blah blah

It would be acceptable maybe if we has similar resources to Tranmere but they do not have our resources.

Lawrie Mac had his moment or two of glory but milked this club to near death

I aspire to better days days when club performs to it its best. I woud be happy if we were playing our best and getting turned over by better teams or losing the odd match.

AP has had the money got the players the team lacks mental strength when its needed.

Make a prediction AP will be gone by October

What's the rush ?

Ever considered that our new owners and management might not have unlimited patience or open-ended chequebooks ?

It seems fairly clear, based on various snippets that have come from the walls of St Mary's that Cortese fits that description. What was a 5-year plan to get to the Premier League may now even be a 3-year plan for him.

Whether Herr Liebherr shares that relative lack of patience or not is unknown.

What's the rush ?

Ever considered that our new owners and management might not have unlimited patience or open-ended chequebooks ?

If I'm perfectly honest alps, if the new owners are that set on 'success' that they up sticks if we don't achieve 'it' (whatever 'it' is) then they can go with my blessing for one. Actualy in my eyes the true test of their commitment to Saints would be if we do 'do a Leeds', Blimey, football isn;t about winning it's about playing - just ask nickh.

Whatever the new owners reasons for being here, if it is 'success' or bugger off, then they really don;t understand the game. This site is littered with people sniping at Pompey for the way they bought the FA Cup, along with digs at all the big teams and their HP existences. It's a bit hypocritical of us to expect nay demand success because we are spending (someone else's) money imho. No wonder certain sectors of fandom are starting to despise us! And is anyone really believes that we are balancing the books right now then they really are deluded.

I hope that Markus loves football enough to stay around and enjoy it whichever way it goes.

I've seen enough defeats, draws and wins in my time to have learnt to enjoy every result, jeez I still get goosebumps remebering being thumped a couple of weeks ago by Pompey, i can't explain it it's just what this crazy game does to you.

Sadly the impatience won't stop when we finally go up. The expectations in some quarters will be instant promotion again. Didn't someone once write something about taking time to smell the roses...and its not the arriving it is the journey?

I'm sure I remember something about Markus' 5 year plan?

I've said it before and I'll say it again....at the start of this season we had a first team that was picked from the reserves, no manager, a club that had just been saved from extinction and were starting the season on -10 points. A top half finish (hopefully) and a sell out Wembley final have more than surpassed my expectations for this season. So I'll be more than happy to push for promotion to the Fizzy next season, but tbh, I ain't that fussed about the EPL anymore....football is much more competitive down here in the CCC, 1st and 2nd divisions and reminds me more of the footy I used to go and watch at the Dell in the 70s and 80s.

Yep, I'm with you Hammy, I'm not too disappointed with the way things are panning out.

It is good fun this season, it's great to have a brilliant future, we have had some great days out BUT. It is League 1. It is embarrassing to be in it and to loose to pub teams like Tranmere is to me, heartbreaking. Thats why i personally would like to get out of this division this season. If we don't so be it, lets enjoy the ride but i really do think with the players we have we ought to be able to have done it this season. Alpine Saint btw you must be the most pathetic, whinging,idiotic and ungrateful tosser on this forum.

simple....not....true

I know, slight over exaggeration on my part to emphasise the point we were in the s h i t. :(

But there's no denying I don't share the same sense of urgency that some people do to scramble out of this league this season. Yes, I'd like to get out of it but I'm happy to push for it next season.

Because the same thing will happen again if we don't get back to the CCC as soon as we can.

Markus or not. Our good players will leave, our manager will get sacked through poor form and we'll end up sliding down the table.

Ask Leeds what it's like to be here for their 3rd season, that they might be about to make their 4th.

That's funny, I thought they were second.

Wouldn't mind getting relegated, potential 15 new grounds depending on promotion/relegation.

That's the spirit.

Promotion from Div 1 will be sweeeter the longer it tales to come, not that I would say no to it. It's just that this god given right way of thinking just doesn;t work, never has, never will. slowly slowly, catchy monkey and all that.

Lawrie Mac had his moment or two of glory but milked this club to near death

How fickle, I think it's a given he had more than a moment or two of glory during his 11-12 years of managing us, 1974-1985 was easily the best spell this club has ever had.

Alarming that so many are apparently satisfied to be in this dismal division , with it's mediocre football and the impoverished 'tinpot' opposition that comes with it . Yes we win more games down here , but some of us harbor greater ambitions for SFC than merely being some lower league 'Flat track bully' . All experience teaches us that if you aspire to mediocrity then you can pretty much guarantee that's exactly what you are going (and deserve) to get . :mad:

I reject this point of view entirely - to my way of thinking it's shameful that this great club finds itself wallowing in the backwaters of the 3rd division , and those happy to tolerate this near unacceptable state of affairs (in perpetuity it would seem) should really be ashamed to call themselves Saints fans . Every day we spend down here compounds that sense of collective incompetence and lack of ambition that got us here in the first place . League One is a matter of embarrassment for this club frankly .

The fact that we will almost certainly still be in L1 next season is a minor tragedy in my view . The grim reality is that there are some among us who will not live to see our club return to the CCC , let alone the heights of the Premier League . That's the brutal truth about time - it's always later than you think .

It is good fun this season, it's great to have a brilliant future, we have had some great days out BUT. It is League 1. It is embarrassing to be in it and to loose to pub teams like Tranmere is to me, heartbreaking. Thats why i personally would like to get out of this division this season. If we don't so be it, lets enjoy the ride but i really do think with the players we have we ought to be able to have done it this season. Alpine Saint btw you must be the most pathetic, whinging,idiotic and ungrateful tosser on this forum.

Whatever. Who are you, anyway ?

Alarming that so many are apparently satisfied to be in this dismal division , with it's mediocre football and the impoverished 'tinpot' opposition that comes with it . Yes we win more games down here , but some of us harbor greater ambitions for SFC than merely being some lower league 'Flat track bully' . All experience teaches us that if you aspire to mediocrity then you can pretty much guarantee that's exactly what you are going (and deserve) to get . :mad:

I reject this point of view entirely - to my way of thinking it's shameful that this great club finds itself wallowing in the backwaters of the 3rd division , and those happy to tolerate this near unacceptable state of affairs (in perpetuity it would seem) should really be ashamed to call themselves Saints fans . Every day we spend down here compounds that sense of collective incompetence and lack of ambition that got us here in the first place . League One is a matter of embarrassment for this club frankly .

Well said. The bit I've highlighted is especially true.

The fact that we will almost certainly still be in L1 next season is a minor tragedy in my view . The grim reality is that there are some among us who will not live to see our club return to the CCC , let alone the heights of the Premier League . That's the brutal truth about time - it's always later than you think .

Top post!!

If I'm perfectly honest alps, if the new owners are that set on 'success' that they up sticks if we don't achieve 'it' (whatever 'it' is) then they can go with my blessing for one. Actualy in my eyes the true test of their commitment to Saints would be if we do 'do a Leeds', Blimey, football isn;t about winning it's about playing - just ask nickh.

Whatever the new owners reasons for being here, if it is 'success' or bugger off, then they really don;t understand the game. This site is littered with people sniping at Pompey for the way they bought the FA Cup, along with digs at all the big teams and their HP existences. It's a bit hypocritical of us to expect nay demand success because we are spending (someone else's) money imho. No wonder certain sectors of fandom are starting to despise us! And is anyone really believes that we are balancing the books right now then they really are deluded.

I hope that Markus loves football enough to stay around and enjoy it whichever way it goes.

I've seen enough defeats, draws and wins in my time to have learnt to enjoy every result, jeez I still get goosebumps remebering being thumped a couple of weeks ago by Pompey, i can't explain it it's just what this crazy game does to you.

Clappy thing... excellent post.

Most spent the last 5 years (or longer) desperate for a return to old values, community spirit and being proud of our team... have we not got that back now? I think we have and we have also made good progress and should all things being equal be in with a very good shout of success next season...not guarranteed, but certainly something to be anticipated with positivity, not fear... as we all know this is one of the few sports/games in which the side the play best dont always get the points - which is wat makes this game so darn unpredictable...

I am satisfied that Pardew, the team and NC are ambitious enough to want to be as successful as possible as quickly as possible and therefore we as fans should be content to sit back and enjoy the ride.

I have 2 issues with those fans who use ambition as a smoke screen for impatience:

Firstly they are putting even more pressure on the team than there already is - surely this is not the role of a supporter - what happened to the concept of the 12th man? This also leads to a mindset that any slip up is unacceptable which causes some peoples support to become negative rather than positive.

Secondly, they are robbing themselves of the enjoyment of seeing our decimated team slowly but surely rising from the ashes and developing into potentially something very special - maybe even a team to rival the Lawrie Mac era.

This is the most fun I have had supporting saints since 2003 and I am certainly not going to allow my enjoyment to be spoilt by a very small minority of fans who in my opinion seem to take everything Saints related just a little bit too seriously and have become totally obsessed with results.

I can appreciate the imparience from those that may not be around a lot longer to enjoy the success that I believe will follow but i also know 2 people who are so chuffed to be going to see Saints at the new Wembley this month as they never thought they would get the chance to see that in their lifetime.

With the foundations that we know have in place for success I really do think it is time to go back to just being fans, supporting the team and enjoying seeing them develop and grow into potentially a real force in English football.

Personally I think this team is learning all of the time and will not repeat the mistakes of this season next year and i fully expect that we will achieve automatic promotion, probably as champions so there really isn't that much to complain about surely?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nope you’re right – they expected to assemble a multi million pound team and then sit happy in mid table

PMSL!

Are you REALLY that dim? Is everything at either end of the spectrum, but never in between?

They EXPECTED Pardew to assemble a squad that could get promoted. He has done that.

They will now EXPECT him to get us promoted by the end of next season.

Are you REALLY that dim? Is everything at either end of the spectrum, but never in between?

They EXPECTED Pardew to assemble a squad that could get promoted. He has done that.

They will now EXPECT him to get us promoted by the end of next season.

Because he failed this season

Nobody has been building a team for next season (except a few on here) NC, AP and ML were spending millions to get promoted THIS SEASON.

Because of 2 or 3 extended poor runs this look unlikely so AP will (possibly) get one more chance for auto promotion next season

Because he failed this season

Nobody has been building a team for next season (except a few on here) NC, AP and ML were spending millions to get promoted THIS SEASON.

Because of 2 or 3 extended poor runs this look unlikely so AP will (possibly) get one more chance for auto promotion next season

Please, please show me a quote where the people at the top have said they are expecting promotion this season? And don't bring out that little "we should be winning more league games" one, because that is not proof that he expects promotion.

The only quotes i've seen have said that it is a 5 year plan.

I I think we should go down (eventually) to the blue square prem..we should win more and get to see more new grounds

should be fun

You are truly a pathetic wind up merchant. Always little digs and snidey comments. Pretty much every post is negative garbage from you. Idiot!