Ian Branfoot

miserableoldgit

I was sat in the traffic coming away from the ground this afternoon when someone tapped on my window. I looked around and it was Ian Branfoot! He was with Lew Chatterley and wanted to know where the road that we were on led to. I felt like I had had an acid-type flashback to the early 90`s! I just wish that I had been able to discuss his time as The Dell with him and how much I enjoyed it!:smt009:mad:

I was sat in the traffic coming away from the ground this afternoon when someone tapped on my window. I looked around and it was Ian Branfoot! He was with Lew Chatterley and wanted to know where the road that we were on led to. I felt like I had had an acid-type flashback to the early 90`s! I just wish that I had been able to discuss his time as The Dell with him and how much I enjoyed it!:smt009:mad:

Bloody hell!

I bet for a minute you thought you were in a scene from The Shining!

Here''''''''''''''''''s Ian!

Saints go a goal up, Lew Chatterly franticly signalling everyone to get back and sit on it. He really used to annoy me..

Mind you, kept us in the Premiership. As a management team better than the happless turnip called Sturrock.

If we had appointed Hoddle, we would have still been in the Premiership.

Mind you, kept us in the Premiership. As a management team better than the happless turnip called Sturrock.

And we'd still have Lowe. Give me L1 with ML any day of the week.

Yeah and probably would have ****ed off back to Spurs at the first opportunity for the second time

Interesting that Branfoot appears on the day we get to 7 straight home league victories. It's been a very long time since his team won 6 home games in a row and avoided relegation.

Perhaps he chose this particular fixture to see if/how Southampton can "afford to live in the same street as Leeds United" and if our fans have got used to it.

This was probably the second most memorable Branfoot statement from his time with us,after the prediction about Speedie and Dixon scoring more goals than Alan Shearer

Did he say you were wrong as soon as you told him? :wink:

Still see Dalek has still only got one record on his juke box.

Wasnt Lew Chatterley Laurie Macs Bro in law? I remember watching his last match for us he was subbed and everybody cheered, the following Tuesday he moved to Torquay as coach, that made us very happy. Laurie Mac bought with him 2 players from Grimsby Lew Chatterley and Ian Turner, Lew Chatterley become part of the team Ian Turner was kept out by Eric Martin who was a good Scottish keeper, Scotland were struggling for keepers at the time, Laurie Mac offered to pay for the flight for the Scottish manager to come down and watch him play, he never did and within weeks Turner replaced him and I dont think he ever played for us again, shame because he was a good keeper much better than Turner.

i think saints fans who didn't want glenda back realise it was not lowe but them that cost us our premier league status

Oh no, the great all knowing CBFRY always right.

I bow to your superior opinions oh great one !

Still think we're in a relegation fight this season? I got your usual smart arse reply a couple of weeks back when I dared to say we had no chance of getting relegated this season. Well?

I may not be always right but I am right 100% more often than you are.

Still think we're in a relegation fight this season? I got your usual smart arse reply a couple of weeks back when I dared to say we had no chance of getting relegated this season. Well?

As I said CBFRY we ALL think you are right, as you know you always are, as you keep telling everyone and yourself.

He is obviously as crap at reading maps, street signs or his sat nav or finding his way around the city where he worked for several years as he was at managing Saints first team.

Obviously if the road was full of traffic it was going somewhere useful eventually.

Should have stuck to roads he knows and managing reserve teams.

i think saints fans who didn't want glenda back realise it was not lowe but them that cost us our premier league status

Yes, but they won't admit to it. In fact, some have spent a lot of time and energy creating very effective smokescreens and diversions from the real story and their part in it.

The vocal minority.

No, I guess we'd be in a similar position to our fishy neighbours with a pig farmer for Chairman.

There'd have been no admin, and no brilliant arrival of Marcus Liebherr and Nicolas Cortese.

All has worked out for the better and a brighter tomorrow.

Yes, but they won't admit to it. In fact, some have spent a lot of time and energy creating very effective smokescreens and diversions from the real story and their part in it.

The vocal minority.

We all know that's not true. Just repeating it over and over again don't make it so.

I don't really follow any posters on here, I certainly won't look back at previous posts either, but simply by looking at the posts on this thread...

100% more right than someone who seems to be entirely wrong (i.e. 0% right) still makes you wrong. ;)

For my addition to the conversation, I like our current position but it is impossible to guess what might have happened. Maybe Abramotwit could have bought us and won the prem, maybe Gaydamak could have destroyed us.

Would I prefer having Branfoot as manager and being in the prem to L1 under Pardew... I guess so, but only if Le Tiss (age 25) was back (and in the team)

Does that make any sense? Probably not. Oh well, its late. Night night x

Would I prefer having Branfoot as manager and being in the prem to L1 under Pardew... I guess so, but only if Le Tiss (age 25) was back (and in the team)

That's where I have a problem with Branfoot. He never really believed in Le Tiss. He was just about to substitute him when he scored those two against Newcastle, and I was at Highbury when he preferred Moody to Matty. It was embarrassing.

The vocal minority.

Ha Ha, you're a legend Dalek.:)

That's where I have a problem with Branfoot. He never really believed in Le Tiss. He was just about to substitute him when he scored those two against Newcastle, and I was at Highbury when he preferred Moody to Matty. It was embarrassing.

Terry Hurlock in preferance to Jimmy Case anyone ????

The vocal minority.

I can`t make my mind up about you. You are either a very good, albeit repetitive, WUM, or a knob. Either way it is very difficult to take you seriously.

Strange, as Sturrock won won and lost one in his tenure, more than enough for midtable.

Branfoot wrote a piece that was included in Matty's biography where he denies that he was about to sub him just before that Newcastle goal. He says something like "I was delighted that the kick up the backside worked" by which I suppose he means that he was only threatening to substitute him. Sounds a bit dubious to me but I suppose only he knows whether it's true or not.

He also includes a story about how Alex Ferguson refused to shake his hand and told him to eff off after a game at Old Trafford because he didn't like the way that Saints had played. A few weeks later Fergie phoned as he was interested in buying Shearer and Branfoot took great pleasure in telling him to eff off in return.

I'm sure that he was generally a decent bloke and I didn't like the amount of venom was directed towards him, but it's hard to forget the sheer awfulness of the way we played under him and the poor quality of the players he brought in (Ken Monkou excepted). I'm sure he would have taken us down eventually had he remained in charge.

Branfoot wrote a piece that was included in Matty's biography where he denies that he was about to sub him just before that Newcastle goal. He says something like "I was delighted that the kick up the backside worked" by which I suppose he means that he was only threatening to substitute him. Sounds a bit dubious to me but I suppose only he knows whether it's true or not.
I asked Matt himself about this. He said that when he asked Branfoot later about it, he replied that he could not remember. A couple of weeks after that game I was on the coach to an away game and I was talking to someone who sat right behind the dugout. He said that Moody was stripped off and they had the number 7 board ready. If you see the Sky replay of the first goal you can see a shot of Branfoot with a wry smile and he turns round and says 'sit down' to Moody.

Interesting that Branfoot appears on the day we get to 7 straight home league victories. It's been a very long time since his team won 6 home games in a row and avoided relegation.

The seventh game (if I remember rightly) was against Forest who were virtually already down and we lost 2-1 - MLT missed a penalty but scored a sublime goal at the Milton end.

Ahh, pointless speculation about events that happened long ago.

You may aswell have stated if Archduke Franz Ferdinand hadn't been assassinated on 28 June 1914 World War I wouldn't have started. It has about as much relevance to some bloke getting asked directions by Branfoot as your moaning.

THE member!

No, this is were you miss the point. My campaign is not to bring in Hoddle, but to get certain people to admit that the origin. of our decline happened when 'a vocal minority' played a part in the appointment of a manager who was completely out of his depth over an experienced, tried and successful ex saints and England manager.

Like anyone else I am absolutley delighted that we have begun the long climb to the top. But did we need so much pain.

As for your other post. 1. I am not a WUM and neither am I a knob.

I just want some people to face up to the truth and thier part in it.

My campaign will continue !

As I said CBFRY we ALL think you are right, as you know you always are, as you keep telling everyone and yourself.

That's funny because it's not me that won't stop going on about the same thing over and over and over again for six tedious years refusing to listen to any reason from anyone.

The avalanche of responses to you on this thread alone is proof of that. But you'll be back with the same old shi te next week. Look around, it aint just me telling you to belt up about it.

No, this is were you miss the point. My campaign is not to bring in Hoddle, but to get certain people to admit that the origin. of our decline happened when 'a vocal minority' played a part in the appointment of a manager who was completely out of his depth over an experienced, tried and successful ex saints and England manager.

Like anyone else I am absolutley delighted that we have begun the long climb to the top. But did we need so much pain.

As for your other post. 1. I am not a WUM and neither am I a knob.

I just want some people to face up to the truth and thier part in it.

My campaign will continue !

What you want people to 'face up to' is your view of events; you have no monopoly on the truth. Given Hoddle's managerial failures since leaving Saints, there's good reason to suppose that he would have failed here in a putative second shot at it. At least as good as your assumption that he would have succeeded.

I'm sure you're not a wind-up merchant, but references to your 'campaign' such as those above certainly make you look like a knob.