out of contract players..?

david in sweden

one of the points raised in the excellent Nicola Cortese interview was a question about players who are soon to be out of contract.

(I think the questioner was worried about signings like Forte becoming discontented if we don't go up) ..but more to the point .. WHO is out of contract in June ..and do we / you think they should stay?

Olly Lancashire

Lloyd James

Chris Perry

Wayne Thomas

I think I'm right in saying all of the above are out of contract? Any others?

Otsemebor & Antonio are also out of contract, & I beleive that Connolly only signed to the end of this season?

Be interesting to see what happens with Waigo, Antonio and Otsemebor in the summer.

Haven't quite made up my mind whether I want to see them stay or not.

I think Antonio is worth keeping hold of, especially since he'll be on a free, but I'm still unconvinced by Waigo and Semi.

He is, Reading released him and he signed a 6 month contract with us.

They didn't. I can't see any news item from any site that says that. The Reading and Saints OS both say he is on loan. I think you may be confusing it with the Jon Otsmeobor deal where he was released by Norwich and signed for Saints on a 6 month deal.

Prove it by providing a link from a credible source.

They didn't release him they extended his loan until the end of the season.

Your'e right, it's Otsemebor who was released to sign for us, although Antonio's contract with Reading ends this summer so he is in a similar situation to our out of contract players. I think he'll be offered a one year deal.

James needs to stay, great potential that lad has.

Would like to see Semi stay on a low contract perhaps for a years deal ??

Thomas if we can get his wage down i would keep, (he owes us lol)

That'll do, Antonio i don't think is good enough but a one year deal wouldn't be too bad i suppose.

I'd love to keep Waigo to

I beleive you lot have missed out Wotton/ Pulis and Molyneux to the list.

Basically they should all be released with the exception of Thomas provided he agrees to lower terms. I would look to offer him a year deal.

Pulis/Molyneux/ Wotton/ Perry/ Lancashire should head for the scrap heap.

Otsembor is worth a year deal, Antonio should be given a 3 year deal as he is young and could be polished. Waigo should be purchased for the agreed 500k at the start of his loan

I beleive you lot have missed out Wotton/ Pulis and Molyneux to the list.

Basically they should all be released with the exception of Thomas provided he agrees to lower terms. I would look to offer him a year deal.

Pulis/Molyneux/ Wotton/ Perry/ Lancashire should head for the scrap heap.

Otsembor is worth a year deal, Antonio should be given a 3 year deal as he is young and could be polished. Waigo should be purchased for the agreed 500k at the start of his loan

Otsembor is worth a deal, i'd also like us to keep Conolly too as he is class at this level. I'd also like to keep Antonio and Waigo but dont think they'd be hapy being players. When Connolly is fit Waigo is fourth choice striker and no way will Antonio get in ahead of Lallana or Puncheon. The rest can go, all surpluss to requirements.

What about Perry?

I've no idea if he's interested in moving into a coaching role, but if he is I could certainly see him playing a part there. If he could pass on even a fraction of what he knows about positioning and reading the game it would be of great value to the likes of Aaron Martin.

James needs to stay, great potential that lad has.

Would like to see Semi stay on a low contract perhaps for a years deal ??

Thomas if we can get his wage down i would keep, (he owes us lol)

That'll do, Antonio i don't think is good enough but a one year deal wouldn't be too bad i suppose.

I'd love to keep Waigo to

I wasn't sure myself who was OOC but I think I'd go along with your suggestions.

Thomas is not a Full Back. He's a fit in.

As we have seen with Harding & Semi, there are proper Full Backs around who come at a proper (for this League) price.

We need a proper RB to cover for Semi, a youngster possibly

Then we have to look at the CB situation. Jaidi is how old? How long was his contract?

We have Seaborne, would you want Thomas in or would you want another younger CB as 4th choice?

In midfield we need that cover for MS/Hammond, and TBH at this level and next season we will need RESULTS, not POTENTIAL.

If James is your first choice CM cover then he should stay, but could you buy better out there? Do you REALLY want to put your hand on your heart and "your job on the line" by saying Gillett will get us promoted? Not that he could do it but that in case of injury he HAS to do it?

It is going to be a harsh summer this year, so many clubs feeling the pinch and so many players will find it hard to get new clubs.

There will be a lot more Hardings available for little money on little wages able to deliver when called into the team.

The reserves and the Academy will have another year to turn out the next Lloyd James's.

Expect to see a lot of movement outwards from the out of contracts and probably ther fringe players and only one or two coming in.

Unless a Big Name decides they want to leave for better pastures.

Thomas is not a Full Back. He's a fit in.

As we have seen with Harding & Semi, there are proper Full Backs around who come at a proper (for this League) price.

We need a proper RB to cover for Semi, a youngster possibly

Then we have to look at the CB situation. Jaidi is how old? How long was his contract?

We have Seaborne, would you want Thomas in or would you want another younger CB as 4th choice?

In midfield we need that cover for MS/Hammond, and TBH at this level and next season we will need RESULTS, not POTENTIAL.

If James is your first choice CM cover then he should stay, but could you buy better out there? Do you REALLY want to put your hand on your heart and "your job on the line" by saying Gillett will get us promoted? Not that he could do it but that in case of injury he HAS to do it?

It is going to be a harsh summer this year, so many clubs feeling the pinch and so many players will find it hard to get new clubs.

There will be a lot more Hardings available for little money on little wages able to deliver when called into the team.

The reserves and the Academy will have another year to turn out the next Lloyd James's.

Expect to see a lot of movement outwards from the out of contracts and probably ther fringe players and only one or two coming in.

Unless a Big Name decides they want to leave for better pastures.

I don't normally find myself disagreeing with yr. viewpoints Phil, but both L1 (and partly CCC) is still down to trenchwarfare on ploughed fields, and we need tough, experienced defenders to handle that. I won't argue all your individual comments, except to say that with rare exception our most reliable and successful defenders over the many years I've followed Saints, have often been OVER 30 when they came. and stayed long after.

I go back to the 1960's and have seen many reliable "old heads" see us through tough times, and so if I were AP - I'd think long and hard before deciding to plan to be without the likes of Thomas, Wotton, Jaidi and Perry for next season...or even Murty - for one more year - if he gets back to 100%.

YES ! Harding is good and Seabourne is " promising " but are not yet hardened to first team football and history shows that (our) team like many others, has been full of " one season sensations" who subsequently disappear without trace. The "over 30's, who must seem like pensioners to some of our teenage fans, may not be worth the 4 -5 year contracts that some younger layers get, but they are worth their weight in gold on a season-to-season basis.

As I see it:

IN

Semi - Def worth keeping for another year, has looked decent

Connolly - Def worth same sort of deal as this season

Antonio - Worth a year or two, is young and prob relatively low wages

James - Again prob worth another year or two, can't see him progressing even to a good Championship player though

OUT

Thomas - Wages too high and we could pick up a better free to replace

Wotton - Sh!te and can get a lot better on a free

Lancashire - Shame, as I thought he had potential, turned out to be sh!te

Molyneux - Sh!te

Pulis - Sh!te

Undecided

Waigo - I think it all depends what may be out there as a replacement. I'm still a little unconvinced by Waigo

Retired

Perry

Murty

As I see it:

IN

James - Again prob worth another year or two, can't see him progressing even to a good Championship player though

OUT

Molyneux - Sh!te

Pulis - Sh!te

Undecided

Waigo - I think it all depends what may be out there as a replacement. I'm still a little unconvinced by Waigo

Retired

Perry

Murty

Probably agree with you not sure they are all shiite but not up to required standard plus Thomas is old?

Edited by John B

As I see it:

IN

OUT

Molyneux - Sh!te

Pulis - Sh!te

Undecided

Retired

Perry

Murty

A fair assessment.

Not sure how people have come to the conclusion that Antonio is awful and needs to go. He has been excellent in quite a few games this season. Took the p*ss out of promotion chasers like MK Dons and Bristol. He has been inconsistent, but this is mainly due to him being at Tooting and Mitcham 2 years ago. Bar a dosen games on loan at Cheltenham last season, this season is his debut in professional football. People will be saying get rid of that has been Oxlaide-Chamberlain next.

Keep

Antonio - Fantastic tallent IMO and on a free fransfer with low wages.

Thomas - A decent, versatile, wise head who plays with his heart on his sleeve. He would probably take a pay cut, as nobody else will offer him what he's [rumour to be] currently on.

Semi - Was underwhelmed when he signed, but has really impressed me so far. NO more than a 2 year deal please.

Connolly - Pay as you play, one year deal only though.

Waigo - Undecided, but he is a bit different up front.

Release/Free Transfer

Murty - Too old, too knackered

Perry - Too old, too slow

Pulis - Even if we have to pay half his wages for a year

Molyneux - As above

Forecast - As above the above

Wotton - As above the abo...

Holmes - Clearly not in AP's plans

Not sure how people have come to the conclusion that Antonio is awful and needs to go. He has been excellent in quite a few games this season. Took the p*ss out of promotion chasers like MK Dons and Bristol. He has been inconsistent, but this is mainly due to him being at Tooting and Mitcham 2 years ago. Bar a dosen games on loan at Cheltenham last season, this season is his debut in professional football. People will be saying get rid of that has been Oxlaide-Chamberlain next.

Keep

Thomas - A decent, versatile, wise head who plays with his heart on his sleeve. He would probably take a pay cut, as nobody else will offer him what he's [rumour to be] currently on.

Semi - Was underwhelmed when he signed, but has really impressed me so far. NO more than a 2 year deal please.

Release/Free Transfer

Molyneux - As above

Would go along with that - although I would add that I'm happy to trust Pardew on judgement of who he wants in and out. Lets not forget it wasn't that long ago that a number of fans/forum members were saying we should offer Preston 1mil immediately for Trotmann !

Probably agree with you not sure they are all shiite but not up to required standard plus Thomas is old?

If you consider a defender old at 30 (31 in May) then I suppose he is old. Personally find that most defenders are coming into their prime in late 20s/early 30s

Keep

Release/Free Transfer

Molyneux - As above

As above but I would also release Poke, Gobern, Gillet, Thomson and Lancashire. None of them are particularly young anymore and don't appear to be near to getting a game. Don't know if they are out of contract thouhg

What I find strange is the amount of people here who don't rate Lloyd James. He is a very decent player, who can put in a shift, with a wicked cross and a decent pass. He's been played mainly out of position for the last 2 years, and people don't seem to rate him on the back of this. He is a very good squad player, and mark my words, he will be a decent Championship player.

I don't normally find myself disagreeing with yr. viewpoints Phil, but both L1 (and partly CCC) is still down to trenchwarfare on ploughed fields, and we need tough, experienced defenders to handle that. I won't argue all your individual comments, except to say that with rare exception our most reliable and successful defenders over the many years I've followed Saints, have often been OVER 30 when they came. and stayed long after.

I go back to the 1960's and have seen many reliable "old heads" see us through tough times, and so if I were AP - I'd think long and hard before deciding to plan to be without the likes of Thomas, Wotton, Jaidi and Perry for next season...or even Murty - for one more year - if he gets back to 100%.

YES ! Harding is good and Seabourne is " promising " but are not yet hardened to first team football and history shows that (our) team like many others, has been full of " one season sensations" who subsequently disappear without trace. The "over 30's, who must seem like pensioners to some of our teenage fans, may not be worth the 4 -5 year contracts that some younger layers get, but they are worth their weight in gold on a season-to-season basis.

Age wise I agree 29-35 at our level. We have some experience in the team and could do with some more wiser heads for when things don't go so well.

But I think we can find better ones at this level than those we have. I admire Wotton's strengths but would you not prefer a Wotton with better pace and passing accuracy?

Thomas or another Murty? I just think Thomas is nearly a CB but isn't actually a good enough one

No idea who fits the bill but I would be looking to see if better was out there, we found Harding, Hammond, Jaidi for next to nothing.

As above but I would also release Poke, Gobern, Gillet, Thomson and Lancashire. None of them are particularly young anymore and don't appear to be near to getting a game. Don't know if they are out of contract thouhg

Yeah, them too. I'd just forgotten about them.

Have seen nothing to suggest we should keep Antonio, our recent 'good' for co-incided with him not being in the team

Looking at the results, there doesn't seem to be any real correlation between the two. Didn't play against Leeds or Swindon and they were two polar opposites as far as performance goes. He also played in most of the games between Gillingham and our trip to Leeds when we had that brilliant winning run.

Thomas is not good enough at right back or centre back. He's on a high wage, injury prone and not getting any younger/better. Pardew clearly doesn't rate him. I'd of thought he was out of here.

The fact we spent (up to) 1.2m on him, makes me feel a bit sick.

Age wise I agree 29-35 at our level. We have some experience in the team and could do with some more wiser heads for when things don't go so well.

But I think we can find better ones at this level than those we have. I admire Wotton's strengths but would you not prefer a Wotton with better pace and passing accuracy? Thomas or another Murty? I just think Thomas is nearly a CB but isn't actually a good enough one

No idea who fits the bill but I would be looking to see if better was out there, we found Harding, Hammond, Jaidi for next to nothing.

There's no saying that Thomas was a good buy in the beginning, he was a panic buy by (Burley ?) when we had problems at the back. I don't believe he is injury prone..every player gets injuries from time to time and WT had a serious knee op. which takes time to get over. It doesn't put him in the same class as SICKNOTE. I think Thomas is a better player now than when he came, although perhaps not first choice because without him, we'd have Lancashire at CH..and likwise Wotton in the Wembley line-up. Coincidentally ? ... Wotton was an ever-present in the side when we went 7 games unbeaten and Hammond and James were out injured in the Autumn.

I think it a bit short-sighted and maybe a little cruel- if we see tham bring back the silverware from Wembley and then sack them in May. With Murty out for the season, " Semi " injured and Seaboune " not ready yet" ... we still have good cover for the newer/younger players who have yet to come in.