Whats with the odd socks

ladysaint

some players had the hooped socks on (my preference) some had white with two hoops at the top and some had I think just plain white, just a silly thing I noticed tonight but was just wondering why.

i've found out, the players did it on purpose so they could see if a thread would be started on here with people bickering over the whys and wherefores of the impact socks have on the outcome of the game.

There was a sweepstake that Lady Saint would start the thread, Apline or Glasgow saint would comment on the fact no team has won any trophy the last six months wearing multi coloured socks. Crab Lungs would suggest Dan kerins write an article on it in his amazing weekly column in the echo, Romsey Stu would comment that no thug would be seen dead wearing red socks and the thread would be blocked my midday today due to the tedious, stupid and totally pathetic nature...

Rumour has it that Barnards just won a tenner.

some players had the hooped socks on (my preference) some had white with two hoops at the top and some had I think just plain white, just a silly thing I noticed tonight but was just wondering why.

Ignore the rude comments later on ladysaint.

It could be that they just picked any pair out of the box, or maybe they like their socks to stay up, in contrast to Brian O'Neil who always seem to play with socks around his ankles (though from the stories I read it was probably 'cos Brian NEVER had any kit of his own and always " borrowed " from others.

BUT I have heard tales of particular players wearing diff. colour socks - so they can be picked out in a crowded goalmouth ?..(but it's often a Euro thing and not so common in England.

The two teams must wear different colours so that the referee can correctly determine who has kicked the ball (or player), not that this has ever stopped them from getting it wrong before.

'The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and also the referee and the assistant referees'

Thanks David no problem with the rude comments, I wasnt making a fashion statment just thought it looked odd, and in fact I have been informed of the real reason now which seems quite obvious when you think about it.

yes the sweepstake was a great idea by the players and worked. To give you a heads up some players next week will be wearing long sleeve shirts and some short sleeved shirts, i'm not saying who the smart money is on to start the thread...

I already have 2 pairs of the current home socks thanks.

They are all the same socks.

Waigo wears tape up to half way up his shin.

Antonio (when he plays) wears tape almost right the way up his socks and in a couple of games has seemed to be wearing almost entirely white socks.

Wayne Thomas, seeing as I've been paying far too much attention to this, wears red ankle protectors, so it looks like he has white and red hooped tops and solid red bottom half to his socks.

Given that socks have to be a different colour (and don't be surprised if we're in red socks on Sunday) to allow refs/linos to more easily adjudicate on deflections for throws/goal kicks etc, don't be surprised to see a FIFA ruling in the next year or two to ensure that tape, just like undershirts/shorts etc has to be of the same colour as the kit - Antonio against Carlisle's white socks with red turnovers on Sunday would be a right arse pain for the linesman...

Sheesh, to think I'm on 3 posts a day (payment bounced again, dunno what's happening with my Paypal subscription but something's broken) and this is one of them...

Thanks David no problem with the rude comments, I wasnt making a fashion statment just thought it looked odd, and in fact I have been informed of the real reason now which seems quite obvious when you think about it.

Oh noes..... it's another Saints Trusteeeeeeeeeeeee with some ITK knowledge that they will hint at but not actually tell you what it is so they don't compromise their source!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are sooooooo mean, I sooooooooo wanted to know the reason. :-(

i've found out, the players did it on purpose so they could see if a thread would be started on here with people bickering over the whys and wherefores of the impact socks have on the outcome of the game.

There was a sweepstake that Lady Saint would start the thread, Apline or Glasgow saint would comment on the fact no team has won any trophy the last six months wearing multi coloured socks. Crab Lungs would suggest Dan kerins write an article on it in his amazing weekly column in the echo, Romsey Stu would comment that no thug would be seen dead wearing red socks and the thread would be blocked my midday today due to the tedious, stupid and totally pathetic nature...

Rumour has it that Barnards just won a tenner.

Think you forgot that TT would suggest the odd socks were contributing to the number of late goals we have been conceding recently. Alps would also have suggested that the wearing of odd socks contributed to us being **** in midweek games (I understand **** in Alps view means only having lost 1 midweek game since the end of September).

Think you forgot that TT would suggest the odd socks were contributing to the number of late goals we have been conceding recently. Alps would also have suggested that the wearing of odd socks contributed to us being **** in midweek games (I understand **** in Alps view means only having lost 1 midweek game since the end of September).

I also forgot that glasgow Saint would complain that not only are our socks of poor standard if they need tape to be held up but why is our kit made by Umbro. It should be Armani, Prada or at the very least gucci, i mean why settle for second best?

I've heard that there are different gangs in the squad, its all starting to get a bit messy between the bloods (red socks) and the arian nation (white socks) with the latinos (hooped) just waiting to move in when the others have been weaken. The management want then all to wear the same socks but they aint having none of it.

come on lady saint, tell us, i've come onto here 15 million times today desperate to hear the real reason why the odd socks, i hope you dont tease your boyfriend this much....

just for you Turkish, the reason, we think is that the stock is running out and as kit changing next season they havent restocked so using what is left, hopefully you will be able to sleep peacefully tonight now. :-)

just for you Turkish, the reason, we think is that the stock is running out and as kit changing next season they havent restocked so using what is left, hopefully you will be able to sleep peacefully tonight now. :-)

You THINK that is the reason??!!!! What do you mean you THINK that is reason?!! I assumed you would know for a fact!! I been on tenterhooks all day because of this and it turns out you are no more ITK than any of us!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Erm, having gone to the trouble to hunt this thread down to find the answer now I've paid my fiver, I think it's worth pointing out that it may be the case that stock of socks is running out, but that is irrelevant to the reason those players are wearing their socks in different styles.

All of the players in question are all still wearing the same style of Saints Umbro hooped socks as every other outfield player on the pitch, just as they were at the start of the season - and all of the quirky taped ankles/calves etc are all being worn in the same way by the same players now as they were months ago when there was no supposed "sock shortage".

So in short, they're not trying to cover up "not having enough pairs of socks" with tape, they're doing exactly what they would do if they had a hundred pairs of socks each to use.

And even *I* can't be bothered to find a load of pics to prove this one... but I suspect one of Antonio on his home debut v Charlton in the JPT with tape/bandage covering his socks up to the calves would probably confirm it.

Erm, having gone to the trouble to hunt this thread down to find the answer now I've paid my fiver, I think it's worth pointing out that it may be the case that stock of socks is running out, but that is irrelevant to the reason those players are wearing their socks in different styles.

All of the players in question are all still wearing the same style of Saints Umbro hooped socks as every other outfield player on the pitch, just as they were at the start of the season - and all of the quirky taped ankles/calves etc are all being worn in the same way by the same players now as they were months ago when there was no supposed "sock shortage".

So in short, they're not trying to cover up "not having enough pairs of socks" with tape, they're doing exactly what they would do if they had a hundred pairs of socks each to use.

And even *I* can't be bothered to find a load of pics to prove this one... but I suspect one of Antonio on his home debut v Charlton in the JPT with tape/bandage covering his socks up to the calves would probably confirm it.

well said that man, lady saint is trying to blind us with economics and science. Come on lady saint, you have to do better....

Am I permitted to have a go at Arsenal's shirt terrible not starting their names with a capital letter.

You and me both. Bloody stupid style over substance, same thing with Puma's lettering at the last World Cup.

Ah to hell with it...

Here's Antonio playing for Cheltenham last season, saggy socks all over the shop, most unlike his Saints appearances

Cheltenham+Town+v+Yeovil+Town+USFPK7sVVbYl.jpg

Here he is with Reading, tape making its way up his leg

?type=display

God only knows what's going on here, but he's mastered the skill of turning over the white tops of his Saints socks and pulling them as far down as possible to maximise the white area at the top. I think he's also got hold of some red tape too :

?type=display

He truly is the white tape wrapmaster, turnovers half way down and tape half way up, hiding the hoops altogether :

429x.jpg

And here's the proof - less impressively white-wrapped socks with a bit of red poking out :

article-1245490-07FBA186000005DC-843_468x300.jpg

Meanwhile, in the real world... :D

thanks for this, the9, riveting stuff. could we prehaps do a bit of analysis comparing his marks for his performance in the media and his goal scoring ratio compared to how much tape he is wearing, maybe the amount of tape on his socks effects his game? He certainly does seem inconsistant and sometimes his crossing is poor, could this be due to the amount of tape on his socks being a distraction?

thanks for this, the9, riveting stuff. could we prehaps do a bit of analysis comparing his marks for his performance in the media and his goal scoring ratio compared to how much tape he is wearing, maybe the amount of tape on his socks effects his game? He certainly does seem inconsistant and sometimes his crossing is poor, could this be due to the amount of tape on his socks being a distraction?

Judging by his tapeless efforts at Cheltenham, I'd say more tape = greater Antonio.

Having revealed his secret, I also fully expect him to make his substitute appearances for the rest of the season dressed like this :

Freshly_Bandaged_Mummy_Walking_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_081017-123356-199009.jpg

Judging by his tapeless efforts at Cheltenham, I'd say more tape = greater Antonio.

Having revealed his secret, I also fully expect him to make his substitute appearances for the rest of the season dressed like this :

Freshly_Bandaged_Mummy_Walking_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_081017-123356-199009.jpg

I'm just amazed clive Woodward never picked up on this in his role as director of whatever it was in his time here, shameful really as he should have been analysing the tape/sock debacle as it clearly has an effect on performance. What were we paying him for?

I'm just amazed clive Woodward never picked up on this in his role as director of whatever it was in his time here, shameful really as he should have been analysing the tape/sock debacle as it clearly has an effect on performance. What were we paying him for?

To be fair Antonio didn't join us until 3 years after Woodward left.

I have forwarded this thread though to SCW in his role as Olympics head-in-chief-charge-bloke.

Expect to see Sally Gunnell and Roger Black running round London 2012 head to toe in tape.

(I expect we have probably more up to date runners than these two , but buggered if I can name them)

To be fair Antonio didn't join us until 3 years after Woodward left.

but imagine if this sports performance idea had been in place when he was here. He always claimed to be at the cutting edge of Sports science, cleary not on this occasion. He could have improvd players like Jermaine Wright & Bradley Wright-Phillips game by 10-15% which could have been the difference between promotion and staying in the CCC in 2007, this is what he was employed to do and he failed.

but imagine if this sports performance idea had been in place when he was here. He always claimed to be at the cutting edge of Sports science, cleary not on this occasion. He could have improvd players like Jermaine Wright & Bradley Wright-Phillips game by 10-15% which could have been the difference between promotion and staying in the CCC in 2007, this is what he was employed to do and he failed.

Yes, but the impact of his revolutionary "not needing to learn to kick a ball properly" coaching on Rasiak was much needed.

Yes, but the impact of his revolutionary "not needing to learn to kick a ball properly" coaching on Rasiak was much needed.

maybe if Leaon Best had payed a bit more attention then he wouldn't have scored the greatest own goal the world has ever seen in that second leg against Derby.

maybe if Leon Best had payed a bit more attention then he wouldn't have scored the greatest own goal the world has ever seen in that second leg against Derby.

Certainly from personal experience after a ligament injury I found that taping your ankles provided increased support but somewhat restricted the range of movement, so it's probable that if he'd taped the lower half of his body he'd have been unable to fashion such a preposterous slice into his own net.

Can't say it would have improved his penalties though.

They are not odd socks, because they have an identical pair just like the ones they are wearing at home.

Ignore the rude comments later on ladysaint.

It could be that they just picked any pair out of the box, or maybe they like their socks to stay up, in contrast to Brian O'Neil who always seem to play with socks around his ankles (though from the stories I read it was probably 'cos Brian NEVER had any kit of his own and always " borrowed " from others.

BUT I have heard tales of particular players wearing diff. colour socks - so they can be picked out in a crowded goalmouth ?..(but it's often a Euro thing and not so common in England.

I wouldn't say you're far from the truth there David.

The reason teams normally where distinctive socks to suit the rest of the kit is so that they can be picked out by a player with the ball without that player having to raise his head

Also to add to the sock tape debate. The Scottish FA submitted the idea to FIFA at the last general meeting of all the FAs that tape color should match that of the socks, FIFA rejected the proposal so it is here to stay for now at least. Not a big deal for us with hooped socks (yuck) anyway, but for teams that wear one color socks like say Chelsea who also tape with white, I can see how its great news. :p