UFO's & Abductions

Crab Lungs

After recently watching the excellent series Taken again and the recently-panned The Fourth Kind (which I enjoyed), I just wondered what peoples thoughts were on aliens, ufo's and abductions? Do you believe them? Have you ever seen a UFO? And if you believe, what do you think they want?

11 million abduction reports and UFO sightings since Roswell alone - could their really be that much conjecture or is there really something out there that we don't understand?

I'd be very interested to hear some peoples thoughts!

Of course, 'believers' may be open to ridicule, so I will begin by saying 'I believe' ;)

I believe that the 'universe' is a mighty big place - beyond my comprehension anyway!

The chances of there being another planet like ours close to another sun [star] in such a way that the conditions are rife for 'life' - not just as we know it, but as we don't know it too ;) - are therefore extremely high.

Of course to be a 'believer' you would HAVE to be a non religious believer - where does it state in the bible that God created ANOTHER world!!

So, do I believe something else is out there, yes I do, the chances of there not being anything else out there are pretty minuscule I'd bet.

What I don't get is this whole abduction thing though. For another lifeform to reach our planet would require inter stellar travel - no mean feat in and of itself - but to make it worthwhile this travel must be pretty damn fast - faster than anything we can imagine for sure - which would require a seriously advanced intelligence / capabilities. Why then would such an advanced lifeform want to keep coming back and abducting humans? Surely once or twice would be enough for such an advanced intelligence to learn all it needed to from us......

Of course to be a 'believer' you would HAVE to be a non religious believer - where does it state in the bible that God created ANOTHER world!!

Where does it say He (or She) didnt? Or who is to say that if there is a higher being, that there arent 2 or more, each God over their own world? ;)

I believe that there MUST be other life in the universe, it is simply too big and we have explored so little of it for there not to be. Can`t remember who said it but an astronomer compared someone saying that there is no other life in the universe to someone saying that there are no elephants on earth because he looked out of his bedroom window and there were none in his garden. If anyone needs reminding how small and insignificant we are on this planet take a look at these:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tdarnell#p/u/0/oAVjF_7ensg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

As for other life forms visiting this small insignificant planet of earth i am not a believer. Simply because of one question; Why would you travel millions or billions of miles to a planet that harbours life then have a look, turn round and head home? Surley after tens if not hundreds of years of travel you would make yourself known and try to comunicate with these alien beings! After all with your advanced technologies these beings would not be a threat to you or your home planet?

The other option regarding UFO`s is that they are unmanned observing spacecraft but again surley you would try to communicate with the alien beings on said planet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tdarnell#p/u/2/V9HLIOnTapE

http://www.youtube.com/user/tdarnell#p/u/23/uAshug2IKaI

But maybe soon we will have answers to the question of life elsewhere in the universe. The Kepler Space Telescope has already started finding extrasolar planets and will soon start finding them in habitable zones around nearby stars

http://www.youtube.com/user/tdarnell#p/u/5/eaf-nPAW7Fs

Where does it say He (or She) didnt? Or who is to say that if there is a higher being, that there arent 2 or more, each God over their own world? ;)

To be fair, and this is paraphrasing, it does say something along the lines of god populating the heavens and the earth and certainly talks about worlds in the plural. Not that I'm a believer in all that, but my missus is, and dug out that particular text a while ago

If other life forms have managed to work out how to travel vast distances in relatively short times, they will see us a very promitive life form. In the same way that we put things that we think are beneath us (i.e. every other life form on the planet) under a microscope, wouldn't they do that to us too?

But when you consider our development over every other species on this plae, is it not likely that other life forms could have developed evn faster than us? We actually think we are an advanced life form but whne you consider that way most of us live, which is essentially killing off the very planet that gave us life, I would disagree. We also don't know very much compared to the ancients who achieved far more with far less. Scirntists wil tell you that we still do not understand many of the funamentals. I am ready a good book right now "13 Things That Don't Make Sense" by Michael Brooks. It makes you realsie how far we still have to go and how little we still really understand.

If you think about it we are one planet orbiting one star in one galaxy. In our galaxy, there is approx 100–400 BILLION stars, and the sun is just one of them.

It is estimated there are 170 billion galaxies in the observable Universe.

Say there is 250 billion stars in each galaxy (for the purpose of guesstimating), that means there is like, 42500 billion stars in the Universe*. We orbit just the one.

When you think of it that way, we are so tiny and insignificant, and with the amount of stars and galaxies in the Universe I find it so difficult to see how there isn't some form of life out there.

I find it fascinating.

*Excuse my maths if that is wrong, my maths is awful :(

If you think about it we are one planet orbiting one star in one galaxy. In our galaxy, there is approx 100–400 BILLION stars, and the sun is just one of them.

Say there is 250 billion stars in each galaxy (for the purpose of guesstimating), that means there is like, 42500 billion stars in the Universe*. We orbit just the one.

When you think of it that way, we are so tiny and insignificant, and with the amount of stars and galaxies in the Universe I find it so difficult to see how there isn't some form of life out there.

I find it fascinating.

I don't think it matters about your maths, what ever figure we put on it will be a guess. And that is only in our own dimension. As someone said the other day, the thought that we are the only life forms in the Universe is just as amazing as there being many others.

I have a bit of personal experience here.

My granddad was, for over 50 years, Head Gardener on Mountbatten's estate at Broadlands in Romsey.

In the late '50s an estate worker was cycling to work through the estate, he claimed that he saw a strange craft land in a field. He lost conciousness and when he recovered it had gone.

He reported it to Lord Mountbatten who, in the company of some estate workers, went back to the scene. They found a large patch of flattened grass and also some scorching. It was winter and there was snow on the ground and a large area had been melted.

My granddad was a very level-headed chap and saw no reason to disbelieve the bloke. I knew many of the witnesses personally and they were all convinced that something odd had happened.

A well-known UFO author. Timothy Good, featured the incident in one of his books.

It would seem incredible to me that there would not be more advanced and less advanced life forms out there.

If I was a more advanced life form and I had been observing this planet for any length of time I would be very wary of humans and would probably want to study a few in a lab!

Thing is, quite reasonably, we tend to think in terms of what we would do in any given situation.

How could we possibly imagine what another life form, espcially one that had worked out how to traverse the huge distances in space in a vastly superior way to ours, would make of us?

It's always interesting when someone comes forward to relay first-hand experience or a family encounter - certainly gives the debate a fresher and more credible angle :-)

It's a shame that whenever they have to though, for some reason, maybe to seek more credibility, they have to refer to witnesses/experiencers as 'sane' though ;-)

Interesting point on the 'ancients' - many theories abound about this, does anyone else have any opinions on this? The Sumerians, how their 'bible' all entwine with all the religious faiths that exist today etc? Is it at all possible that they were 'aliens' or at least 'advanced beings' living amongst us? Did they help build the pyramids? Stonehenge etc?

How could we possibly imagine what another life form, espcially one that had worked out how to traverse the huge distances in space in a vastly superior way to ours, would make of us?

Like us studying our own wildlife, I suppose? Or whatever else we consider 'primative' on our planet? That's the only reason I can think of.

Yet what do people make of 'abductees' stories? Granted, there is likely to be many people just attention-seeking... but what of the stories from abductees who most researchers consider watertight? And why abductee stories so similar?

Like us studying our own wildlife, I suppose? Or whatever else we consider 'primative' on our planet? That's the only reason I can think of.

Yet what do people make of 'abductees' stories? Granted, there is likely to be many people just attention-seeking... but what of the stories from abductees who most researchers consider watertight? And why abductee stories so similar?

They only appear to abduct fat yanks from the boondocks.

When it's a Nobel prize winner I'll take it seriously.

Just out of interest...

...and this is completely off-the-scale... ;)

I would love to know military protocol for the UK (if not, the world) should we be attacked by aliens (worst case) or contacted (best case scenario).

Would any conspiracy theorists/military buffs care to hypothesis such an event?

There has got to be something in place for such an occurence...

Let us assume that earth is the product of the big bang. If other "worlds" are evolving at the same rate and we have only mastered "local" space travel they may have only reached the same level.

Actually thats not quite correct in 2 ways.

Firstly, the development of our species from non-intelligence to space faring happened over a microscopically small amount of time when compared to the age of the planet, a similar leap in development could generally have happened at any time within the space of a few million years. likewise we may not have made the step up for another few million years.

Secondly, our star is a relative new comer in a fairly old galaxy, there is the very real possibility, that over 13 odd billion years our galaxy has been forming stars and planets, expiring those stars and forming new ones, that great space faring civilizations have come and gone, and our only job as an interplanetary species, will be nothing more than terraforming and glorified archaeologists, examining the leftovers of those that came before us.

all imho, of course

It's always interesting when someone comes forward to relay first-hand experience or a family encounter - certainly gives the debate a fresher and more credible angle :-)

It's a shame that whenever they have to though, for some reason, maybe to seek more credibility, they have to refer to witnesses/experiencers as 'sane' though ;-)

Interesting point on the 'ancients' - many theories abound about this, does anyone else have any opinions on this? The Sumerians, how their 'bible' all entwine with all the religious faiths that exist today etc? Is it at all possible that they were 'aliens' or at least 'advanced beings' living amongst us? Did they help build the pyramids? Stonehenge etc?

I used to spend time with a spiritual healer who had lots of interesting theories about our past. I know a lot of people will scoff at the legend of Atlantis but there is a fascinating theory that they were much further advanced than we are and used more ecologicaly sound forms of energy. She also talked about the early Eygptian pharohs as coming from the stars (one had an elongated head like many pics of aliens) and that the pyrmaids of Giza point to the point in the constellation of Orion where these beings came from.

Shame we don't have a real Tardis yet!

It used to be that scientists/people would talk about whether there was other life in the universe. Since then it has become accepted that there must be other life in the universe, as the mathematical probabilities are overwhelming, even in a universe of finite size. In a universe of infinite size, which mathematicians are considering now, the chances of other life are not about if, but how many.

As to UFO's, I'm pretty sure I've seen one, which I described before, the last time this subject was talked about here. I say pretty sure, because there is always that element of doubt, over time [nearly 25 years ago]. Why am I even pretty sure..? Because it simply couldn't have been anything else.

Just out of interest...

...and this is completely off-the-scale... ;)

I would love to know military protocol for the UK (if not, the world) should we be attacked by aliens (worst case) or contacted (best case scenario).

Would any conspiracy theorists/military buffs care to hypothesis such an event?

There has got to be something in place for such an occurence...

I think if this happens it's down to Will Smith to save the world with a little help from Jeff Goldblum.

I used to spend time with a spiritual healer who had lots of interesting theories about our past. I know a lot of people will scoff at the legend of Atlantis but there is a fascinating theory that they were much further advanced than we are and used more ecologicaly sound forms of energy. She also talked about the early Eygptian pharohs as coming from the stars (one had an elongated head like many pics of aliens) and that the pyrmaids of Giza point to the point in the constellation of Orion where these beings came from.

Well I have to say that over the past year or so (and after spending plenty of my own time quashing boredom with fanatical 'research') this is definitely something I am entertaining as a personal belief/theory...

That said, I still do not possess a clear path of beliefs in my mind with which I can say for certain I believe. After watching many seminars on varying subjects, much spare time reading and speaking with other 'like-minded' loons (;)) I can definitely say I'm forming a solid (and similar) opinion of my own.

One thing is for sure though... The more I personally started to immerse myself into this theory, the more and more it seemed as if everything 'connects'.

However I cannot say that I am entirely, 100% convinced yet - It's a strange conundrum. I'd watch a seminar, understand everything and then struggle to relay what I've just been 'taught'. Maybe it's just getting my mind around a new way of thinking as to what I've been conditioned to think in education/popular culture?

As to UFO's, I'm pretty sure I've seen one, which I described before, the last time this subject was talked about here. I say pretty sure, because there is always that element of doubt, over time [nearly 25 years ago]. Why am I even pretty sure..? Because it simply couldn't have been anything else.

You DID see a UFO, because you didn't know what it was, and it was flying. I also assume it was an object.

So yeah, you saw a UFO.

That said, I still do not possess a clear path of beliefs in my mind with which I can say for certain I believe. After watching many seminars on varying subjects, much spare time reading and speaking with other 'like-minded' loons (;)) I can definitely say I'm forming a solid (and similar) opinion of my own.

One thing is for sure though... The more I personally started to immerse myself into this theory, the more and more it seemed as if everything 'connects'.

However I cannot say that I am entirely, 100% convinced yet - It's a strange conundrum. I'd watch a seminar, understand everything and then struggle to relay what I've just been 'taught'. Maybe it's just getting my mind around a new way of thinking as to what I've been conditioned to think in education/popular culture?

Interesting how the above could quite easily be read as your personal search for God.

I am absolutely certain that ancient cultures on this planet were far more advanced than we are now, or at least more advanced than western science could ever give them credit for. Did they have some contact with alien visitors? There certainly appears to be plenty of evidence pointing to this.

I read Zecharia Sitchin's Genesis Revisited which offers a theory that the book of Genesis has been mis-translated and actually refers to a race of aliens creating the human race by genetically engineering us using a primitive species of primate and their own DNA. This would certainly explain the missing link in human evolution, but unfortunately it doesn't explain why we are 99% genetically similar to chimpanzees.

But reading up on the ancient Sumerians, they certainly had a knowledge of our solar system that modern astronomy has only recently caught up with - by that I mean in the last couple of centuries; bear in mind that this is a civilisation (the earliest human civilisation in fact) that existed around 3000BC - about four and a half thousand years before the invention of the telescope.

The ancient Maya also had a knowledge of astronomy that was centuries in advance what western society could expect. They too also had no such things as telescopes, yet they built many huge structures that were designed to point towards planetary alignments that only happen once every 27,000 years. How could they possibly have known about this kind of stuff?

The ancient Egyptians were clearly a very advanced culture. But perhaps the most surprising thing is that there are so many similarities between the Egyptians and the central/south american cultures that sprung up around the same time. They clearly could not have known about each other's existence 5000 years ago, but the similarities are clear for all to see.

Actually thats not quite correct in 2 ways.

Firstly, the development of our species from non-intelligence to space faring happened over a microscopically small amount of time when compared to the age of the planet, a similar leap in development could generally have happened at any time within the space of a few million years. likewise we may not have made the step up for another few million years.

Secondly, our star is a relative new comer in a fairly old galaxy, there is the very real possibility, that over 13 odd billion years our galaxy has been forming stars and planets, expiring those stars and forming new ones, that great space faring civilizations have come and gone, and our only job as an interplanetary species, will be nothing more than terraforming and glorified archaeologists, examining the leftovers of those that came before us.

all imho, of course

Never really thought about it like that before however that all makes a lot of sense.

When i first opened this thread i was going to write similar to that of weston, in which it is personally (to me) inconcievable that a similar 'race' had become that advanced compared to us.

Then in this post you got my mind working and actually 'thinking'

The problem being that as a scientist you often have to explain things due to the constraints of science, but that has it's own flaws as science is ever changing and so old theories could all go out of the window with the dawning of a new one (to an extent)

To think that Electricity has only been around a few hundred years and the technological advancements that have happened in that time is astounding, what is next to be discovered ?? After all, religion could all be intertwined with experiences from the stars ?

Science dictates for instance that jupiter for example is inhabitable ?? Why ? Because it is to us and our understanding of how life exists ?? That does not necersarily mean that other forms of life cannot withstand that environment.

Another interesting concept is the fact that we only know of life as carbon based and can only see that which light refracts from, for all we know their could be more to this world that we cannot 'see'

Ok, getting weird now but you get my point.

I find it fascinating.

Bill Bryson put this into perspective in his book A short history about nearly everything". He said that is a star was the size of a garden pea, the number of stars in the universe (it may be this galaxy, memory letting me down) would fill the Royal Albert Hall.

I am absolutely certain that ancient cultures on this planet were far more advanced than we are now, or at least more advanced than western science could ever give them credit for. Did they have some contact with alien visitors? There certainly appears to be plenty of evidence pointing to this.

I read Zecharia Sitchin's Genesis Revisited which offers a theory that the book of Genesis has been mis-translated and actually refers to a race of aliens creating the human race by genetically engineering us using a primitive species of primate and their own DNA. This would certainly explain the missing link in human evolution, but unfortunately it doesn't explain why we are 99% genetically similar to chimpanzees.

But reading up on the ancient Sumerians, they certainly had a knowledge of our solar system that modern astronomy has only recently caught up with - by that I mean in the last couple of centuries; bear in mind that this is a civilisation (the earliest human civilisation in fact) that existed around 3000BC - about four and a half thousand years before the invention of the telescope.

The ancient Maya also had a knowledge of astronomy that was centuries in advance what western society could expect. They too also had no such things as telescopes, yet they built many huge structures that were designed to point towards planetary alignments that only happen once every 27,000 years. How could they possibly have known about this kind of stuff?

The ancient Egyptians were clearly a very advanced culture. But perhaps the most surprising thing is that there are so many similarities between the Egyptians and the central/south american cultures that sprung up around the same time. They clearly could not have known about each other's existence 5000 years ago, but the similarities are clear for all to see.

Wow, you've summarised pretty darn well what I've been reading about!

At the risk of getting completely out of my depth before I truly understand the the theories about ancient civilizations/advanced beings etc, I will continue...

Having read what I consider a huge amount of evidence (!), for me it is hard to believe everything I was taught to be true regarding religion, ancient culture and human history. In school, I was taught nothing of Mayan or any ancient civilizations - though we touched briefly on Egypt for a few lessons.

Much of what is being taught about our past could be conjecture - so why are not educated about ancient civilization and the possibilities we have evolved (were created) from beings far more advanced than ourselves? Is this because it would impact on the teaching of religious values and religion itself?

For me, believing that we are created from the splicing of chimp/alien dna is just as credible as believing in that God (whomever or whatever he/she is?) just dreamt us up for kicks or a series of maginificent and unexplainable evolutionary changes happened after a humungous bang. ;)

So why are these subjects seemingly kept out of the mainstream? Coincidence? Is there a hidden agenda? Or is it simply a lack of real evidence or relevance?

Everything that I have researched personally was out of self-interest. I had to look for answers myself. I have made no conclusions as to why this is not taught or at least entertained in the mainstream more (though I concede that it is, tentatively) though these theories or ideas are more widely accessible thanks to the internet and the multitude of diverse channels that are now available to us.

I totally subscribe to what you said about this way of thinking becoming a more accepted theory, especially by credible scientists in many varying fields. Many are now discovering a new way of thinking, ‘enlightenment’, if you will and what was once seemingly considered as pure ‘alien-spacebats’ is now fast becoming conceivable.

One of the most interesting pieces I had stumbled upon was the work of Dr Emoto, a Japanese author. His research and his subsequent findings typified a belief of inter-connectedness. (see his water crystal videos for a good example). Likewise Greg Braden, who recalled a quite astounding experiment involving human DNA. A human would be in a place hundreds of miles away from a sample of his/her own DNA. During the experiment, the ‘subject’ would be shown a number of positive and negative images. The subject would react emotionally to the image visibly.

Whilst the subject was reacting, as was his/her DNA. A positive image would see the DNA create a formation, a pattern. A negative image would see the DNA contract at the exact same time the human would recoil at the image before them.

All this whilst the human and his/her DNA are separated by hundreds of miles - and with absolutely no time delay!

Is this the kind of ‘new’ knowledge that we are now waking up to? There is every possibility that the ancients knew of this knowledge, likewise many of the other now increasingly popular ways of thinking, as well as the relevance of astronomy (of which I could probably go into at some other point, once I have a clear and structured theory on this!)

Edited by Crab Lungs

Spot on.. as in we, as humans, can only see 000.5% of what is regarded as luminous (?) light, or something that like that - I believe. Where is exactly is the missing 99%+?

Where do aliens come from? Another dimension on this earth, possibly?

My stepson claims to have seen ufo's over Boyatt Wod/Eastleigh last night, he said there were 8 or 10 very bright lights shooting across the sky, then they came together and shot off into the night. He knows what chinese lanterns are and said the were far too quick to have been them. He asked a man that he passed if he was going mad and the man said he saw them too. Odd.

I find the whole "we are the prefection of creation" thing a lol these days. This thread hits many really interesting points about the whole mathematical probability of Alien existence and Ancient Civilisation.

It also ties in with one of my "nagging bugbears". Our Pre-History.

How did we manage to lose so much knowledge? And equally, how in this digital age we could LOSE all our knowledge in the blink of a few EMP blasts.

The West came into the age of learning around the time of the Aristotles and Archimedes et al, and yet before that there were huge works of Science and Art dating much earlier from this part of the world.

How much was known before "Physics" was invented? What treasures of knowledge did the old Alchemists really have, what was lost when the great Library of Alexandria was destroyed, how & why Stonehenge? and all those weird things that are never quite explained. Heck, even the question of why we have such huge brains which we seem to rarely use (except for finding a kebab shop on a Saturday night)

How can there be NOTHING before the big bang and NOTHING outside the ever expanding universe? But most important of all WHY do we try and play 4-5-1.

No doubt we'll find out when the LHC blows us all up:-)

Interesting that the Telegraph has a full time section on it all these days.

Oh and you HAVE to read the story about Jordan - I posted a link on the April Fools thread, we're still p*ssing ourselves about that one and phoning up Jordanian mates to lol at

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/ufo/

That's quite incredible - a paper with a dedicated section! Interesting to see there is actually quite a few happenings recently..

Just watched the video of a UFO over the Kremlin... I don't ever remember this making mainstream world news? Why?

That's quite incredible - a paper with a dedicated section! Interesting to see there is actually quite a few happenings recently..

Just watched the video of a UFO over the Kremlin... I don't ever remember this making mainstream world news? Why?

They don't want you to know....

Down here about 18 months or so back we had a senior Army Brigadier General spot and follow a UFO for about two hours, scrambled the air force and police choppers et al, and it wasn't the Americans or even the Iranians in a new Stealth machine it was just hopping around very erratically. EoA may remember that when he gets back from skiing as I think it affected ATC

Some of the Telegraph reports are direct from the Military as well. WTF is happening with the sheep in Shropshire? There has been a lot of articles in that paper of recent months and all are sourced and checked out

Just quickly on the Atlantis reference and apologies if this has been repeated further down, just got really excited seeing the word Atlantis. But it is fairly interesting that nearly every ancient civilisation such as the Aborigines over here, have some form of mention of an entity coming down from the stars or heavens. Could this have been an alien species that have passed, had a glance and moved on, or could it be proof that Atlantis may have once existed?

I've seen a couple of UFOs - one was just a satellite passing overhead while camping in the cotswolds - it traversed about half the sky then suddenly stopped, darted NE for about 4 seconds, stopped again and then blinked out. Obviously something orbital from the path it was taking.

Second one was driving from Melbourne to Noosa in Oz. Coming past Tamworth in New South Wales - 2 in the morning, middle of no where and suddenly the road behind us lit up with a spot light - no helicopter, no noise, no sign. We didn't stop.

Are these aliens or whatever - open minded on that, no evidence for or against I would say.

So why are these subjects seemingly kept out of the mainstream? Coincidence? Is there a hidden agenda? Or is it simply a lack of real evidence or relevance?

Religious institutions don't like this stuff as they completely contradict their view of creation. Most of the ancient Mayan books on astronomy and even religion were destroyed by the Catholic church after the Conqistadors conquered the entire continent, so that they could spread their message of Christianity more easily.

I don't belive in (alien) UFO's. I mean, if we knew there was life on another planet and could get there, I doubt we would go there quite often, look at them from above, and then fly off really fast in a mysterious way.....

I know I shouldn't judge it based on how WE think, but it seems pretty pointless to keep coming here, showing your little space ship thing to people, and zooming off.