Volcanic ash cloud

Pancake

The jetstream is blowing a trail of ash from Iceland accross the Shetlands and down into the North Sea. Tomorrow morning it looks to be making its way towards Holland and Germany as well as Scandinavia. It's possible some flights will be on tomorrow towards Spain and Portugal, but I wouldn't bet on much else happening.

The jetstream is blowing a trail of ash from Iceland accross the Shetlands and down into the North Sea. Tomorrow morning it looks to be making its way towards Holland and Germany as well as Scandinavia. It's possible some flights will be on tomorrow towards Spain and Portugal, but I wouldn't bet on much else happening.
Spoken by a man who seems to know what he is talking about.

All airports in Scandonavia and many in northern europe have also closed their airspaces.

I guess BA Flight 9 leaves bad memories...strange.

It's not so much bad memories, and it's not just BA9 either. There was also KLM 867 which diverted to Anchorage in similar circumstances in the '80s. There have probably been countless other lower profile incidents.

Not an overreaction at all IMO. If there is ash in the atmosphere, there could be a lot of gliders over Northern Europe.

I'm stuck in Vegas, supposed to be flying home this afternoon. No fun at all. A sensible decision though, I'd rather a couple of days delay than a tragedy of some sort.

Stuck in Vegas.... No fun....?

Really? I could think of much worse places to be stuck.

Stuck in Vegas.... No fun....?

Really? I could think of much worse places to be stuck.

Strangely mate after being here a week already I just want to get home for the weekend to see the kids (and wife!)

Vegas is great to share with someone but not so much fun on your own (and working)

:-)

It All started at 6am for him yesterday morning and at 12:30 this morning when he was last in touch with me he was awaiting a NZ TV crew to arrive for an interview.

He was on TV3 news at 6.00 p.m. NZ time tonight.Not very long sound bite, didn't get a chance to mention Saints :D

The prog following the news had a short resume of that flight because they were going to interview 2 old dears who met on

that flight and got married later, I didn't bother to watch that bit though.

Iceland, such a puny small country and yet in the past year or so it has caused SO much disruption.... :-)

Youngest son flew out to Vancouver Thursday (luckily) they could see it (the Ash Cloud) from the plane and he said it was just a stunning sight and seemed to be "off in the distance outside the window for a hell of a long time".

Got a mate who was here for a 3 day conference who's now stuck and been kicked out his hotel as they are all full with transit passengers who've been pouring into Dubai then going nowhere into Northern Europe.

AND we have people due in from Scandinavia Sunday on a major project for us and that looks like it's gone t1ts up as well.

We tried to get flights booked yesterday to send one of our guys back for training to the UK - not a SINGLE fecking seat on a plane out of here for the next 10 days as they've blocked everything in CASE the delays last another 3 or 4 days. Some are saying weeks....

Jeez we're fecking MAROONED!

Only three previous eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull are known in the last 1100 years!!

In fact Eyjafjallajökull did not erupt for the last 190 years.

The most recent eruption began in December 1821 and lasted intermittently for more than a year.

Eyjafjallajökull is considered by scientists a precursor of Katla's activity, Katla is the more dangerous one, larger and more powerful.

The neighbouring volcano Katla in fact punctually erupted then on 26 June 1823, around 19 months later.

These two volcanoes are historically linked and an eruption of Eyjafjallajökull normally triggers Katla.

Scientists know the danger, but there is very little we can do about powerful volcanoes.

An eruption of Katla in between now and 2012 is therefore likely.

What Katla could do:

"Iceland's Laki volcano erupted in 1783, freeing gases that turned into smog. The smog floated across the Jet Stream, changing weather patterns. Many died from gas poisoning in the British Isles. Crop production fell in western Europe. Famine spread. "

End of the world as we know it? :rolleyes: