Oldham build-up

SuperMikey

This is an absolutely crucial game for us, one that we have to win. It's really vital that we bridge the gap between us and Huddersfield (or Charlton as it may be soon enough).

With Schneiderlin sent off today, we're going to have to rejig things in midfield. Pardew is probably going to end up playing Wotton alongside Hammond, but i'd much prefer to see something like this:

----------Davis------------

Semi--Fonte--S'brn--Harding

--Hammond---Puncheon----

Antonio--------------Lallana

-----Barnard--Lambert------

Subs: Bart, Perry, James, Wotton, Gillett, Connolly, Waigo

We should really start Barnard, as he's great foil for Lambert and has scored some vital goals recently. Preferably i'd start James over Semi at RB as well, because Semi has looked rather suspect recently with some pretty poor performances, but James's fitness has to come into question.

We need to go out and attack from the start on Tuesday, because those 3 points could get us a play-off place (if we're lucky!).

COYR!

I too believe that Pards will replace Schneiderlin with Wotton but like others have said, I'd like to see Puncheon move inside to partner Hammond in the middle, with Barnard starting up top with Lambert.

Either way, whoever Pardew starts with on Tuesday night, he needs to make sure that they, and the rest of the team for that matter, are fully motivated for this crucial fixture.

If, and it's a big if, we win our remaining fixtures then I think we'd be very unlucky not to make the playoffs. The dream, albeit faint one, is still very much alive, and it will take a massive step towards becoming a reality if we win on Tuesday!

I too believe that Pards will replace Schneiderlin with Wotton but like others have said, I'd like to see Puncheon move inside to partner Hammond in the middle, with Barnard starting up top with Lambert.

Either way, whoever Pardew starts with on Tuesday night, he needs to make sure that they, and the rest of the team for that matter, are fully motivated for this crucial fixture.

If, and it's a big if, we win our remaining fixtures then I think we'd be very unlucky not to make the playoffs. The dream, albeit faint one, is still very much alive, and it will take a massive step towards becoming a reality if we win on Tuesday!

I dont think he will need to try too hard to motivate them for the game!

I'd like to see Connolly start. If the running's too much we always have Barnard on the bench. Connolly is too good for the last 5 minutes of every other game!!

Interesting that AP keeps mentioning him and praising him. Said he was back to full fitness too, which is excellent.

As you say he is too good for 5 minutes. I think he will start on the bench but I would expect him to get at least a half hour on Tuesday. Probably take Barnard off like he usually does.

I'd rather have Seabourne RB than Semi. Semi is f**king carp.

and can Seaborne actually play at right back?

I know Dan Harding did the job for a while, if Seaborne had been an option I'm sure he would have played there.

Seaborne is a lefty, just like Harding.

If you want Seaborne at full back best switch Harding to the right again and put Seaborne on his natural left, not the best of solutions though because he is clumsy in the tackle.

and can Seaborne actually play at right back?

I know Dan Harding did the job for a while, if Seaborne had been an option I'm sure he would have played there.

Seaborne is a lefty, just like Harding.

If you want Seaborne at full back best switch Harding to the right again and put Seaborne on his natural left, not the best of solutions though because he is clumsy in the tackle.

Anyone apart from Semi. He is awful.

I'd play Llallana in the middle with Hammond and put Puncheon on the left and Antonio on the right. Lallana provided great creativity when he deputised earlier in the season. Please dont play Wotton! Unfortunately Semi is the best option we have at rightback,with Thomas out. James looked very low on confidence when he came on a couple of weeks ago.

I'd play Llallana in the middle with Hammond and put Puncheon on the left and Antonio on the right. Lallana provided great creativity when he deputised earlier in the season. Please dont play Wotton! Unfortunately Semi is the best option we have at rightback,with Thomas out. James looked very low on confidence when he came on a couple of weeks ago.

I think we tried those combinations earlier on and they didn't work out too well,

Puncheon in CM was a disaster if I remember rightly. Unless James is really fit we'll go with Wotton in midfield again and I really don't see a problem with that,not against Oldham (although they need the points). What I fear is that all the huff and puff necessary to overcome Yeovil yesterday will leave us with not much in the tanks,still we can always rely on Rickie for a goal from nothing I guess.At least James or Wotton will be fresh legs.

ian marshall and his perm

Yes, good shout. I think we got a draw on their plastic pitch in a league cup 1/4 final, and they beat us 3-1 at the Dell in replay I think.

2-2 away and 2-0 defeat at the Dell 89-90

Edited by LA77

Oldham gave Huddersfield a really good game the other week, they hit the bar a few times and probably should have won the game in all honesty.

it's not going to be easy, a win for them will secure them for another season so i expect them to be well up for it.

Oldham gave Huddersfield a really good game the other week, they hit the bar a few times and probably should have won the game in all honesty.

it's not going to be easy, a win for them will secure them for another season so i expect them to be well up for it.

That will suit us. Hopefully they go for the win so it's end to end. We should be so confident now with our form. 3 more home games, bring it on!!

I remember going to a game V Oldham at the dell..it was a midweek game, they brought down about 100 fans and for some reason, gave very delayed reaction to their goals..

I think franny scored an amazing diving header for an own goal

they beat us

My first Saints game - March 30th 1993!

Remember Le Tissier scored one of his beauties from the edge of the area, cue the flying bog roll onto the pitch :)

My first Saints game - March 30th 1993!

Remember Le Tissier scored one of his beauties from the edge of the area, cue the flying bog roll onto the pitch :)

I remember that, it must have been during a school holiday?

I think this is where we'll make Huddersfield's life a lot easier and draw, 1-1

I remember that, it must have been during a school holiday?

I think this is where we'll make Huddersfield's life a lot easier and draw, 1-1

Indeed it was. Correction it was 1994, not 1993, apologies.

I remember the date well (not the year!) - as on the same night there was a brutal murder in Yeovil, 5 mins walk from our old house...

Edited by markr27

I remember Andy Ritchie and frankie Bunn. Them 2 were a fookin pain in the backside. It seemed they always knocked us out of the league cup

I had a West Ham supporting friend who dragged me up to Oldham to watch a league cup game in the 80s. Oldham had their plastic pitch and Frankie Bunn scored six goals. Still remarkable, 25 odd years later. At least our pitch is grass and Bunn has long since retired....

I remember going to a game V Oldham at the dell..it was a midweek game, they brought down about 100 fans and for some reason, gave very delayed reaction to their goals..

they beat us

Roger F@cking Milford.

Provided he isn't the ref again we should be fine. Would take 1-0 right now.

Big call. 4-5-1 has been working, but is MS the key to that formation?

Is Wotton's defensive mindset and distribution capable of allowing us to play that way or do we go back to 4-4-2.

On that tactical decision hangs our season.

Do Oldham play football or do they like to chase and harry and close you down? If they play football then Puncheon in the middle works. If they close us down and stop us playing will the midfield have the time on the ball to create or do we need someone sticking their foot in.

Get it right the season will keep twisting & turning. Get it wrong and Samaritans will be busy

These Build-Up threads are starting to appear for the next match succeeding the one yet to be played..!

Any chance you might quell the enthusiasm a bit..? No, thought not. I suppose I'd better make it a Sticky and shut up. :)

I've noticed this too; I like it whole 'bring on the next game' mentality that some people on here have.

Of course, it looks like this summer is going to be pretty boring!

If I was Pardew I would not change to much , Just bring in James to replace Morgan. James is best in midfield.

I'm not sure that James is at all fully fit. When was the last time he actually played? He's been on the bench but doesn't seem to get much action, think he's still being nursed along to the end of the season;

No doubt about it - evry game is a big game until the end of the season.

At this stage our fate is not in our hands - however come next week we will know one way or another where we stand. Wishful thinking could see us 2-points behind Huddersfield with 2 to play...after all they don't travel very well.

I'd love to be there tomorrow night but I can't - funds and holidays gone for this year. For the play off legs (if we make it) may have to pull a sickie...

Point 1 - Saints team and fans will be complacent, Oldham aren't up to much but are capable of making it tough for us and had a good win on Saturday.

Point 2 - There will be about 100 Oldham fans at this game, so unless there is a big walk up I reckon the crowd will only be about 18k-19k. However, if we can get 3 points tomorrow night I think we could get up to 25k for the Carlisle game

I think James has an injury that will require surgery in the summer. He didnt even make the bench on Saturday which is a concern. When fit he was one of AP's golden boys so him not being on the bench suggests his injury is not able to withstand any action prior to surgery.

I would play Lallana or Punch in midfield and let Hammond be the holding midfielder. Obviously not has good as Morgan with the ball but much better that Wotton.

they beat us

Jan 76 .... about 4 Oldham fans in The Archers.

We won 3-2 I think, but more importantly i got my voucher for The Fa Cup Final a few months later.

I wonder if the 4 Oldham fans used their vouchers ;)

Jan 76 .... about 4 Oldham fans in The Archers.

We won 3-2 I think, but more importantly i got my voucher for The Fa Cup Final a few months later.

I wonder if the 4 Oldham fans used their vouchers ;)

There were some for sale in the Echo small ads when we had booked our place for the final.Probably local people though.