what happens to the RB slot now ..?

david in sweden

Poll anyone ...?

Now that we have (almost agreed) to sign Calderon..what happens to the other wannabe right backs on the books.?

I know Dan Harding has played there but he IS a left back in my book.

Otsemobor is on loan with an, as yet, undecided future.

Murty looked good when he started but how will he be when back in training?

James - never a first choice RB, but equally unimpressive in midfield.

Wayne Thomas - stood in a few times but if he's OOC - what happens then..?

:confused:

I would want James to Leave, think Murty will retire sooner rather than later. Don't mind Thomas playing as RB, has done well in the JPT as cover there. Pardew may choose to get Otsemembor in cheap for cover though.

Poll anyone ...?

Now that we have (almost agreed) to sign Calderon..what happens to the other wannabe right backs on the books.?

No he's not?

Poll anyone ...?

:-?

Since when?

FWIW, get rid of James and Murty. Undecided on Thomas and Semi. One but not both.

Spoke to Murty, very briefly, after the game yesterday. Asked how we was doing and he said his recovery was going well and he hoped to be fit soon - no indication of retirement, but then why would he tell me that.

My point is that he was good when he played this season and, if he's fit, then he should be given another chance to challenge for RB.

On the couple of times I've seen him, I've not been impressed with Semi, but I wouldn't be against him being given a one year contract. James is a utility player, bit a right back, but if we still have him next season, I doubt he'll play much. I'd be very suprised if Murty doesn't retire, he's now too much of a liability. Which leaves Thomas. Keep him, if we can knock his wages down a bit.

Poll anyone ...?

Otsemobor is not on loan he signed a 6 month contract which ends in the summer.

Thomas is not a right back and neither is Harding.

Calderon is 28, and according to the BHA website, before he signed for Brighton in January he had been rejected by Gillingham and Norwich. He's said to have done well for Brighton and they certainly were an improved team from Jan onwards, but rejected by Gillingham!

Pleased the club have moved so quickly to bring in a RB but this will be a step up for Calderon quite late in his career, so we need to have faith in the scouting system.

Calderon is 28, and according to the BHA website, before he signed for Brighton in January he had been rejected by Gillingham and Norwich. He's said to have done well for Brighton and they certainly were an improved team from Jan onwards, but rejected by Gillingham!

Pleased the club have moved so quickly to bring in a RB but this will be a step up for Calderon quite late in his career, so we need to have faith in the scouting system.

Since when is "Late in his career" 28??? He should actually be at his prime, no better time to "Step up" (and its not that big a step at the moment, they are in the same division as us)

As for being rejected by Gills and Norwich, I wouldn't even pay heed to it. Plenty of very very good footballers have been rejected by other clubs. Its part and parcel of their career, and very likely to be a mistake on the part of coaching staff as a problem with the player themselves.

Didier Drogba and Emmanuel Adebayor have been rejected in the past.

Does that make them bad?

Get rid of James, ok as cover but still totally unsure of his best position. I'd keep either Thomas or Otsemebor as cover, preferably both if Thomas is willing to take a wage cut because he can cover CB or RB. Murty will retire.

Poll anyone ...?

Harding is a left back, never a doubt to that, only played right back in an emergency.

Otsemobor might have a shout of a deal even if we sign Calderon, as Murty is unlikely to get another deal. I can see Bournemouth picking him up on a pay-to-play, not sure we'll offer that to him.

James is a defensive midfielder primarily and was clearly inferior to Thomas, Murty and maybe Otsemobor too, will struggle to make the XI next season anywhere.

I THINK Thomas' contract is up, in which case we should probably let him go unless we can renegotiate it downwards, he's done reasonably well when given the chance, but he was (reportedly) overpaid for his impact.

Calderon first choice

James as backup because he's more versatile and Semi has been a bit dodgy this season.

I keep hearing on Solent (well in the match commentaries) that James is out of contract this summer although he doesn't appear on any of the lists of out of contract players.

I keep hearing on Solent (well in the match commentaries) that James is out of contract this summer although he doesn't appear on any of the lists of out of contract players.

Difficult to know, as he was out of contract LAST season but played in pre-season on the wrong side of his July 1 expiry.

I heard at Eastleigh (first friendly, when we weren't sure we'd make the second one) that he'd had a contract extension, but given the uncertainty and lack of funds at the time, not sure how that could have been possible. Clearly something happened though, as he stayed all season, unlike Wotte and Svensson...

FWIW we need player for each position and from what I've seen of Semi he's done enough to b given the opportunity to compete with Calderon (IF we sign him) their different players anyway really, Calderon looks composed and seems an excellent paser (from the youtube clips admittedly) whereas Semi is lightning but at times a bit of a headless chicken.

I certainly feel there is room for both in the squad and am happy with Mills covering for Harding.

Well my view on Semi is that he's caught out of position to often and also bottles far to many tackles for my liking , backs off far to much as does Seabourne.

Ok going forward but needs to realise that he has to track back far quicker when Saints lose the ball, hence being wildly out of position.

Think the bigger miss is a central midfielder for Hammond or Spiderman, Puncheon can do a job there but he's much better out wide.

If Otsemobor is not a first choice he will start to mentally deteriorating again. We are better off finding a youngster somewhere who is excited about playing and with some potential.

AP has already made it clear that Murty isn't going to figure in the future; Thomas never set the world alight here; and James....hmmm....sad to see a Saints product leave, but he'd have a better career elsewhere.

We must build for the future and not sentimentally hold on to those we know.

Calderon as first choice have Murty as back up, get in car and drive James and Semi away as far as possible.

Pardew strongly hinted that Murty wouldn't play for Saints again back in January

Otsemobor is not on loan he signed a 6 month contract which ends in the summer.

Thomas is not a right back and neither is Harding.

I stand corrected ....Ostemobor has a contact till the end of the season.

Neither Thomas OR Harding are RB... but I think they have filled that role at some time or another this season - haven't they ?

Harding is LB ....and Thomas is what is unkindly called a utilty player but I wish we had more of them.

you don't think Semi will get a new deal?

If Argent or other youth not good enough.....Await others view on Argent..I was told he was making very good progress...

What I have seen to date..Sign Calderon and Ots as back up if no trust in Argent.

Sorry forgot to add....Ots sometimes looks great..speed and all and other times..no decision making..Grey area re heading/tackling..Needs more guts....Maybe Calderon will show him...

Edited by ottery st mary

id be happy with Semi and Calderon. think semi gets too much undeserved stick, what exactly as he done wrong?

What exactly has he done right ? We're looking at players who could play top half CCC and Semi isn't good enough. Semi's alright as cover but I would prefer to keep Thomas as h plays centre back as well.

What exactly has he done right ? We're looking at players who could play top half CCC and Semi isn't good enough. Semi's alright as cover but I would prefer to keep Thomas as h plays centre back as well.

Thomas is too slow to play right back. After the skates running riot down the left wing right in fron of Pardew's nose he will never again leave himself short of pace at fullback. Thomas won't get a new deal anyway as Pardew clearly does not rate him. He's spot on as well IMO.