Asturius Sports

pedg

Anyone who thinks closing the corners, stopping some bus tickets and letting a few players go has meant we don't still need investment is missing the point and putting sentimentality ahead of the facts....

...the fact is that we will still make a massive loss unless we sell millions of pounds worth of players each year. One year (maybe this one?) we will have no one to sell who is worth much. We will then be STUFFED.

It would be nice to see a team of local lads giving 110% "for the badge", with a progressive set-up untarnished by the greed, caprice and lack of integrity that characterises modern football and succeeding.... but let's face it, that's a 1 in a 1,000 shot and the pro game is probably beyond that.

If you want that, go and watch your local non-league team.

We are financially buuggered.

Any takeover that injects significant equity or refinances debt on favourable terms cannot be overlooked, no matter how likeable and honest JP seems.

Yes I pretty much agree with what you are saying but a new regime may be able to work with JP in a similar way.

I just like the idea of making a new with young players and then developing into a better team replacing say McGoldrick with Phillips would be OK in the short term but not in the long one I suggest.

I dont know Shearer's coaching ability but Wotte and JP have played at high levels and have been coaching for a long time.

Young players may well wish to learn from good coaches but in the Premiership when we tried it with the more experienced players it did not work.

Edited by John B

A bit over the top about the team. They were average against Stoke. OK they tried hard, but they were still average. Don't get sucked in by all the PR.

It would be fair to judge the team after the first 5 games.

I react to what I see. The average bit was the second half. Stoke played their usual aerial game and Thomas was pretty poor. The 1st team cut Stoke apart at times, made them look poor and they were only saved by a good keeper and a lenient ref. That and BWP trying to do a George Best impression with three players waiting to tap in a pass.

I don't do PR/Bull****, 5 games/10 games it makes no difference, this team is far more enjoyable to watch than the dross I have endured over the last couple of seasons. You will see if you have read some of my other posts that I think it will be a rollercoaster ride. Reminds me a bit of 1959/60, that was a pretty young side that cut teams apart but let in goals.

Saints over the last couple of years spent a fortune on buying players and paying inflated wages.

We ended up being very nearly relegated, playing absolutely dire football. We lacked pace, commitment, passing ability, lost game after game, were a club divided.

I liked the pace, belief, commitment, teamwork and enthusiasm of the young players. Led by Svennson/Perry/Davies we could well have a team where the sum of the parts far exceeds the collection of individuals. This was how Havant got to play Liverpool at Anfield.

Saints over the last couple of years spent a fortune on buying players and paying inflated wages.

We ended up being very nearly relegated, playing absolutely dire football. We lacked pace, commitment, passing ability, lost game after game, were a club divided.

I liked the pace, belief, commitment, teamwork and enthusiasm of the young players. Led by Svennson/Perry/Davies we could well have a team where the sum of the parts far exceeds the collection of individuals. This was how Havant got to play Liverpool at Anfield.

Quite.... but, perversely, to refuse a financially benficial takeover becasue they wanted to install their own people could turn out to be the short-termest view, despite the attractive football ethos currently offered.

Quite.... but, perversely, to refuse a financially benficial takeover becasue they wanted to install their own people could turn out to be the short-termest view, despite the attractive football ethos currently offered.

But accepting a financially beneficial takeover could be considered a short termist view as well. After all what is having lots of money if its not having shop jam today rather than the promise of home made jam in the future.

Anyway as fulmerrythorpe appear to be unable to organise anything remotely like a takeover after many months of promising 'its almost ready honest' its all rather a philisophical question.

But accepting a financially beneficial takeover could be considered a short termist view as well. After all what is having lots of money if its not having shop jam today rather than the promise of home made jam in the future.

Anyway as fulmerrythorpe appear to be unable to organise anything remotely like a takeover after many months of promising 'its almost ready honest' its all rather a philisophical question.

Sometimes I wish I was an NFL fan. All very simple over there...

If things aren't working out you just sod off somewhere else!

When there is a financially beneficial takeover, that is when I will take a view. Up to now we have had one offer from SISU, and an overactive cyberspace imagination caused by unsubstantiated rumours and penniless tyrekickers.

The present lot don't have the money and will have to borrow it. They obviously up to this moment have been unable to raise it.

In any event borrowing shedloads of money and spending it on a tv pundit with no management experience, no matter how good a player, plus high cost signings is going to turn this club into another Leeds in short order.

What I am buying into is the idea of young players bolstered by good experience, playing attractive, pacy, attacking football. That is the reality, takeovers are pie in the sky, unless the buyer has £50m of their own money to waste on a football club.

Where's Master Bates?

That is now TWO ITK strike outs.

1) the bloke in the pub takeover deal

2) we were all going to die late on Thursday/early Friday in a big self induced timetravelling black-hole from Switzerland and didn't need to worry about the football today or a takeover.

(although TBF I do sort of wish I was dead today but that is somewhat self induced and is not proof that MB should get away with it!)

Where's Master Bates?

2) we were all going to die late on Thursday/early Friday in a big self induced timetravelling black-hole from Switzerland and didn't need to worry about the football today or a takeover.

(although TBF I do sort of wish I was dead today but that is somewhat self induced and is not proof that MB should get away with it!)

The blackhole has reached Master Bates but not Dubai or Manchester yet.

Where's Master Bates?

Don't know what he was on about with the LHC at CERN anyway, it's just going through partial trial runs now, 10th September is accelerate particle injection through the whole tunnel,not sure that there will be any collisions for a while though.So call that one "offside" still two strikes to go;

The blackhole has reached Master Bates but not Dubai or Manchester yet.

TFFT, means I don't have to worry about this hangover for much longer

Anyone know if you can receive Saintstv inside a blackhole? Not much point in renewing my subscription this afternoon to listen to the game if it's all going event horizon

Don't know what he was on about with the LHC at CERN anyway, it's just going through partial trial runs now, 10th September is accelerate particle injection through the whole tunnel,not sure that there will be any collisions for a while though.So call that one "offside" still two strikes to go;

I think timetravelling was the key word in his prediction.

Totally off topic but I went down into the CERN LHC recently for their staff family & friends open day. Was mighty interesting.

TFFT, means I don't have to worry about this hangover for much longer

Anyone know if you can receive Saintstv inside a blackhole? Not much point in renewing my subscription this afternoon to listen to the game if it's all going event horizon

What hangover? was that just a warm-up for tonight's karaoke binge then?

What hangover? was that just a warm-up for tonight's karaoke binge then?

Yep.

Daughter & her boyfriend in town on hols so lads had to show them a proper night out, that meant the "legendary" Rock Bottom Bullfrogs, followed by the local night club's 5th Birthday party of their Cheese Night....

The INTENTION was to take it easy, but then my Lebanese mate booked a table at the club which came complete with two bottles of Vodka. Not a bad effort between 5 of us after Bullfrogs.

Might have to take a late fitness test though if we win, not sure the stomach will take the strangled wailing to get halfway to the high notes in Take on Me if we win today....

Off for a little lie down now

And WHY the heck is it that you do the fatherly thing, take your daughter out on tour and on that ONE night out of about the lst 500 nights out over 15 years, EVERY drunkish and cute chick in the city wants to grab you, dance with you and generally try and pull you....

And every time you start to converse and maybe get a mobile number - you get THAT look. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yep.

Daughter & her boyfriend in town on hols so lads had to show them a proper night out, that meant the "legendary" Rock Bottom Bullfrogs, followed by the local night club's 5th Birthday party of their Cheese Night....

The INTENTION was to take it easy, but then my Lebanese mate booked a table at the club which came complete with two bottles of Vodka. Not a bad effort between 5 of us after Bullfrogs.

Might have to take a late fitness test though if we win, not sure the stomach will take the strangled wailing to get halfway to the high notes in Take on Me if we win today....

Off for a little lie down now

And WHY the heck is it that you do the fatherly thing, take your daughter out on tour and on that ONE night out of about the lst 500 nights out over 15 years, EVERY drunkish and cute chick in the city wants to grab you, dance with you and generally try and pull you....

And every time you start to converse and maybe get a mobile number - you get THAT look. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Don't know, my daughter is only 17 and seems to be going through the "don't want to be seen dead anywhere whatsoever with my parents phase",we just have to get by with knowing that the vast amounts of cash we're expected to dob up at ever decreasing intervals won't be wasted on buying us meals,drinks or gifts.Guess I have all that other stuff to look forward to, don't think my wife would be overly impressed though.

Don't know, my daughter is only 17 and seems to be going through the "don't want to be seen dead anywhere whatsoever with my parents phase",we just have to get by with knowing that the vast amounts of cash we're expected to dob up at ever decreasing intervals won't be wasted on buying us meals,drinks or gifts.Guess I have all that other stuff to look forward to, don't think my wife would be overly impressed though.

I think the 3,300 or so miles distance is a factor, plus 6 years more age!

At least she understands

1) The fry up is a medical necessity

2) She doesn't have many friends left here so wasn't going to be seen as uncool

3) She will have cleared off the computer in time for me to liste to the game this pm

That gap between 17 & 22/23 - remarkably the same issue we have had at Saints - only a few of the very youngsters have been able to see "what is needed in life" Bale Walcott Bridge, and then at Saints we sort of let them go if they weren't ready.

Just over 2 hours to go to see if OUR 22/23 year olds can hack the real world

:)

Oh chanting 'Shearer, Shearer, Shearer!' and purchasing my Season Tickets again is going to be sooooo good.

Right Rupes, you've done OK thus far, now see it through, get your arse back from holiday and lets get this takeover completed rapido in order to give Alan the maximum chance to hit the play offs with some cash and renewed optimism! :)

With the state of the club has anyone considered that Lowe and Wildes shares may only be worth 1 penny?

Any investor/consortium will be taking on the debt.

Other chairman have sold up for 1p or £1, i think this is what Lowe and Wilde should do.

If the Merrington consortium made it known to Barclays they would take on the debt, and Barclays saw them as a safer means for them to get their money back, then Barclays could withdraw the overdraft leaving Lowe and Wilde with little option but to take 1p.

The only other option is administration and a huge points penalty. Would Lowe and Wilde tar their CV's by not taking the 1p? I think not.

NOTW states today,"Alan Shearer is wanted as boss of Southampton by a middle eastern consortium,if they take over the club.

"The group is headed by his former youth coach Dave Merrington".

"Shearer has rejected coaching jobs at Blackburn and Newcastle because he felt he was not ready for management"

Shame it's only the NOWT,any other paper i might have given it a bit more creedance,but then again, who knows what is round the corner.

With the state of the club has anyone considered that Lowe and Wildes shares may only be worth 1 penny?

Any investor/consortium will be taking on the debt.

Other chairman have sold up for 1p or £1, i think this is what Lowe and Wilde should do.

If the Merrington consortium made it known to Barclays they would take on the debt, and Barclays saw them as a safer means for them to get their money back, then Barclays could withdraw the overdraft leaving Lowe and Wilde with little option but to take 1p.

The only other option is administration and a huge points penalty. Would Lowe and Wilde tar their CV's by not taking the 1p? I think not.

Have you considered that this group does not have the money? And the only way they could afford to take over the club, is if we went into administration to remove our outstanding debts and get rid of all the high earners in a stroke?

Have you considered that this group does not have the money? And the only way they could afford to take over the club, is if we went into administration to remove our outstanding debts and get rid of all the high earners in a stroke?

Ever wondered how exactly you can get to lose 300K a week?

Seems a staggeringly high figure.Don't remember us buying many players,just Safri,Saga,Thomas,Davies plus the frees.With the, what, 30 man squad we had last year the salary mass couldn't possibly even equate to 300K every week, just how did we lose all that, I know last summer's player sales cut down the amount but did everyone get let in free every week or something.

Yes i have considered this, however my thinking is that administration is enevitable. Once Barclays switches off the life support machine we're ****ed.

Of course i'd rather we avoided administration and the points deduction (17 points for Bournemouth, 30 for Luton because they broke a technicality) but if it's coming anyway then better to have a consortium waiting to take advantage than no consortium at all. That said it's still conjecture and opinion as to the financial capabilities of the merrington consortium as no-one knows their clout or their game plan.

I understand that you and Um Pahars are the financial brains of this forum so i don't want to give an opinion above my station, but even Rupert Lowe asserted that a common schoolboy could work out our predicament is unsustaianable.:)

Where's Master Bates?

We get an extra month to live, possibly two, now stop hawking on ;)

Don't be surprised if AS is instated as manager very soon, and that doesn't mean the dutch duo will be leaving!

I also believe that if the takeover happens before the month end significant strengthening of the squad will happen..we need investment badly anyone who thinks different is deluded.

Good times are ahead IMO

Don't be surprised if AS is instated as manager very soon, and that doesn't mean the dutch duo will be leaving!

I also believe that if the takeover happens before the month end significant strengthening of the squad will happen..we need investment badly anyone who thinks different is deluded.

Good times are ahead IMO

I don't know of anyone who does not believe that investment is desperately needed. But after all this time, with an ever worsening loan and property market, you have to be deluded to believe a take over will happen without the club going into administration. Then to consistently keep promoting different managers that will be taking the club forward upon this next Friday take over? you would expect Looney Tunes to be in the credits.

NOTW states today,"Alan Shearer is wanted as boss of Southampton by a middle eastern consortium,if they take over the club.

"The group is headed by his former youth coach Dave Merrington".

"Shearer has rejected coaching jobs at Blackburn and Newcastle because he felt he was not ready for management"

Shame it's only the NOWT,any other paper i might have given it a bit more creedance,but then again, who knows what is round the corner.

This was mentioned on Hampshire radio yesterday, they said was its Shearer's agent pushing this and it would be in one of the papers soon.

We get an extra month to live, possibly two, now stop hawking on ;)

:-)

Well all that Cern stuff was sort of Saints related something about Halo's on or was it Halon

It doesn't matter

To many anti's on here

When they go round and round do they overtake or takeover

I enjoy reading the takeover threads and accept even when the info is from a good source things dont always work out the same way.

we could with an honesty scale against posts

5 - from an excellent source who is never wrong

4 - from a good source who is rarely wrong

3 - from a souce who is occassionally right

2- from the taxi driver / mate down the pub

1- I made it up.