New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Zola reminds me of another manager we had not long ago, in his first football management job at a middle sized club, he did a decent job, bought in some good players, then had a number of his best players sold from under him. Zola kept his side up though, the other manager got relegated and sacked and ended up at Southampton to a response of WTF (i include myself in that initially) from the fans. The other manager went on to become our best manager since McMenemy.

And still are. Diamanti was alright. Their England internationals didn't help much did they, and personally I think Green, Upson and Cole being england internationals says more about insane england management than poor west ham management. Avram grant will do a very good job to keep them up, Zola already kept them up, that's all I'm saying.

My main positive on Zola is merely that he isn't Phil Brown, Curbishley, Coppell, Dowie, Wise, Blackwell, Megson or numerous others linked with every job who I really cannot stand and have never rated.

I dont see why everyone is turnin their nose up at Curbishley, he was excellent for Charlton over a long period of time.

Which was the reason for my point - citing one failure doesn't prove anything either. In fact, 100 failures doesn't prove much, nor does 100 successes. None of the cases found will make it more or less likely that the new manager succeeds here. That'll be done to them.

We appear to be in violent agreement ;)

And still are. Diamanti was alright. Their England internationals didn't help much did they, and personally I think Green, Upson and Cole being england internationals says more about insane england management than poor west ham management. Avram grant will do a very good job to keep them up, Zola already kept them up, that's all I'm saying.

My main positive on Zola is merely that he isn't Phil Brown, Curbishley, Coppell, Dowie, Wise, Blackwell, Megson or numerous others linked with every job who I really cannot stand and have never rated.

Well I can't disagree with that last part.

The only thing I can think why Pardew is gone is because of a possible bust up with Wilkins. Wilkins hasn't been on the touchline recently, its been Wally Downes job and in yesterday's interview with Wilkins, he didn't seem to bothered about Pardew leaving and was happy to be taking over the squad.

No matter how much I want Zola & Clarke, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilkins was given a go. As someone else pointed out, 7th in his first season with Brighton is a very good achievement with the lack of money and quality that they had at the time.

Shearer Hoddle excuse me while I wet my pants with laughter

Hoddle knows better than to take a managers job and my bottom has more experience of football and nous than Shearer

Old Lawrie let the dead or nearly dead rest

For NC to come out of this with any credibility he has to bring in a better and bigger manager than AP

AP didn't deserve to be sacked but lets hope we get someone with a little more fire in his belly than AP

One guy up at home, eleven in the box for a corner.

Martin O'Neil. That would be my choice

Right now I'd say that the only manager worth sacking Pardew for would be Martin ONeil. Frankly, anyone else will be ridiculed by the fans as a lesser man than AP at this moment in time.

I hope NC has someone of the calibre of Martin ONeil lined up, if not the lynching mob will dscend methinks.

If Shearer gets the job, god help us all. Footballing knowledge = 0. His punditry in SA showed that.

"What do we know about Slovakia Alan?"

"Ummm, well obviously not alot Gary, umm...haha...umm...(Intense listening into his ear piece).....Hamsik is good"

How about you do some research Alan? How about when you know what games you are working on, you learn a bit about the teams? How about you actually try learning something and offer an insight into the game that the viewers have tuned into watch? How about, a young man, aspiring to be a manager, actually uses the opportunity of going to SA as a chance to study tactics, players, different styles of football so that if you are ever given a managers job you have some knowledge to draw on....HOW ABOUT YOU READ A COPY OF MATCH MAGAZINE WHILE YOUR SAT ON THE BOG.

In other words...No thanks.

Sky bet have Alan Shearer as the favourite for the job . . . enough experience?!

Exactly, nowhere near enough experience. When Shearer was incharge of Newcastle he was only there for 8 games! 8 games in management! He picked up 5 points out of a possible 24! With players such as Enrique, Coloccini, Bassong, Alan Smith, Damien Duff, Obafemi Martins, Michael Owen, Viduka, Nolan, Gutierrez. 5 points is very poor.

It would be a poor appointment here if he did come in. We need someone with at least 1 seasons management experience who can work with younger players and can create the "Southampton Style". Shearer IMO would not fit in here.

The more I think about it, the more I want Tony Mowbray - and he would deffo fit in with Our Beloved Leader with the football he plays. Has the best experience of getting teams playing their way out of divisions, and unlike at West Brom he should get a significant transfer budget to keep us in the PL.

Paul Jewell also has experience of getting promotions and I would be confident of our rise through the divisions with him in charge, but like others have said he is liable to flake out under the pressure of a PL relegation battle - although I would be satisfied with his appointment.

O'Neil is obviously still my favourite, and is not as unlikely as people are saying. I think the challenge might appeal to him, and he obviously struggles with media interest which he would not get in L1. He would be brilliant to attract top players and get bums on seats.

There are no other options really that I would see as a step up from AP

Not sure about everyone else, but I've just never liked him. Yeah, alright for Charlton. I wouldn't say excellent, ups and downs, but he did fine. Far worse at West Ham than AP I think though. He preferred Mullins to Mascherano! They only stayed up when he finally figured out Tevez might be good enough for their team. Really really hope it isn't him. Would be odd as he is very similar to Pardew in many ways.

Erm, you are confusing Pards and Curbishley there, it was Pards who wouldn't play Masch and Tevez.

Edited by Dibden Purlieu Saint

So we're completely writing off Zola and Shearer's management careers then, just like we did Strachans?

I don't think people are writing off their careers, it's more that they would find it strange to replace AP with one of them when he is vastly more experienced. NC is a lot of things but he aint stupid, he knows that we are expecting a big appointment and he will be wanting one too. I will be sorely disappointed if a manager without a single promotion to his name gets the job.

Mowbray would be my choice too. Does play proper football, which is what Cortese wants. I just don't want to see hoofball anymore. When we have Lalla, Schneiderlin and Puncheon in midfield there should never be an excuse for lumping it up to RL and that was what we always done, which just played straight into the hands of our opponents.

Everyone calling for Mo'N... Just check out how many Villa fans were quite glad to see the back of him. Can't question what he has done, but many questioned how he done it and just how much he spent in getting there.

He is, but even he came in effectively as a massive Charlton failure. L1 is full of young relatively inexperienced managers and it often doesn't seem to hinder them. I really don't think we need some brilliant experienced manager to get us out of this league. Maybe for the league above and after that, but not for this league. They need to handle expectation, but overall it's a case of gaining promotion with the most expensive squad in a poor league with last years two top scorers and a couple of midfielders who wouldn't be out of place in the top flight.

I totally understand your point, and people like Eddie Howe and Lee Clarke would support your view. However I would say that bringing in someone young and inexperienced at this moment is too much of a risk, seeing as we simply cannot afford them time to 'get to grips' with the league. It's imperative that we hit the ground running with someone who's done it all before.

Can't believe we do not have somebody already lined up, this makes AP sacking even worse. I've lost patience when it is reported that no announcement may be made for a couple of weeks. Though NC was supposed to be such a professional, he is now making this club a laughing stock

Perhaps it does prove though that it was not planned which does seem to backup the idea that there was some sort of bust up at the training ground.

Look guys, make sure to take your binoculars along tonight as we've been turfed out of the Itchen - only Kingsland and Northam open - so we won't get to see all the comings and goings in the director's box or hospitality boxes.

Even' bet there will be some managerial hopefuls along....

If Phil Brown shows up put the word around so that we can all leave! "What is brown etc....

Or, chant out the names of any you see so we can all get in on the act