New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Would love it to be Eddie Howe just for the enjoyment of ****ing the cherries off.

FYI Ruud Gullit just pulled up next to me and i saw his Sat Nav was set to St Marys.

Seeing your avatar - it must be a divine message from above - has made me realise Branfoot is coming back.

This is just a rumour that I have bheard through members of my family, dont shoot the messenger.

I have been hearing for a while now that Dennis Wise and Marc Bircham were being lined up to replace Pards. Naturally I didn't want to believe it but now I thinking there could be some substance. Can't see NC and wiser getting on myself so I am still hoping this is not true.

Zola worked wonders on West Ham. The first year he was there they finished 10th. For a club that was being ripped apart around him that was incredible. Unfortunately last year the squad was thinner and he did well to keep them up. For anybody that thinks that he hasn't got the tactical nous or experience to take us up look at Di Matteo at WBA. Players who have played under great managers at great clubs will have the skills to succeed in the lower leagues. Look how many ex-Fergie players have succeeded at management/

Wouldn't want to see Zola but maybe Steve Clarke might step into managment. OK he lacks managerial expereince but he is well regarded in football and is out of a job at the moment. Curbs is a good shout aswell. Cant see it being Coppell. Didnt he leave Brizzle because the chairman signed James and Coppell didn't want him? Cant see him getting along with Cortese! Cant belive Blackwell is being banded about (mainly by the bookies) he has never done **** all and would be 2 steps back from AP.

Eddie Howe would be good

Eddie Howes achievements at Bournemouth with their club unable to sign players and such a small squad have been outstanding. He has kept them in the league, promotion then followed in his first full season and they arguably have outplayed us this season with far less resource available.

One wonders what this guy could achieve if he was given the resources made available to Pardew

Do people realise Martin O'Neill was at the Leyton Orient game last sat!!??

Erm, no. How would we know he was there? Was he sitting in the director's box with a big red and white hat with the words: "look at me, I'm the new Saints boss" emblazened on it? I'm surprised you were the only one to spot such an overt appearance.... ;-)

Strange that nobody has mentioned Gareth Southgate......

Wouldn't mind him. Only got sacked at Boro because of the dwindling attendances. That ruined their season, he leaves when 4th (?) end up finishing well outside the play offs. Now this year, they've made just as good of a start as Southgate and their attendances are exactly the same.

Would absolutely love MoN down here. Plays good football and signs young, up and coming talent. But if not, i'd settle for Southgate tbh.

Other than Martin O Neil there is nobody on this thread so far that would be better than AP and i very much doubt MoN will turn up, tho interesting if he was at the Orient game

This.

Although imo there's more chance of me ****ting a scale model of the Mary Rose than O'Neill coming here.

Would like Gary Johnson myself, but as he's just signed for Peterboro...

What's Tony Mowbury doing these days? ;)

I have a strange feeling that Southampton will announce a signing tomorrow (probably on loan), which would indicate something has already been set in place for a new broom.

Like I said, that would be my choice. Anything is possible in football. Who really thought Pardew would be sacked today after the side winning 4-0 away on Saturday. As one of the previous posters just said, Pardew was a premiership manager before saints and he dropped down. You would expect Cortese to do the same again, so that would rule out no-one!

Pardew was not a premier league manager when we got him, he had been sacked by Charlton who were at the foot of the CCC. I thought we did well to get him and i cant think of anyone who is available with a better CV than AP. It is a really strange decision, they must have someone lined up, i hope it is, but i cant see it being O'Neill.

Martin O'Neill was at the Orient game last saturday...that's all I'm saying!

Would be a truly outstanding choice - if true.

O'Neill's mentor the late, great, Brian Clough dropped down the leagues to build a under performing club (Nottingham Forest) into a real force in the game. It might represent an entirely different (and reinvigorating) type of challenge to a manager who has already proved himself in the EPL. Probably too good to be true of course, but there's no harm in dreaming I suppose.

None of the names for a possible replacement enthuse me. I still can't believe Cortese has sacked Pardew, he is probably the best we could hope for at our current level. I really liked Pardew, he installed a winning mentally and the current squad is his team. Will they respond to new manager? I mean whoever comes in has this squad as it is until January.

O'Neil will never happen, so who else is there realistically? Who is going to be better than what we had. Zola...no Cotterill no way so who? What a really cr@P way to start Bank Holiday Monday :(

O'Neill's mentor the late, great, Brian Clough dropped down the leagues to build a under performing club (Nottingham Forest) into a real force in the game. It might represent an entirely different (and reinvigorating) type of challenge to a manager who has already proved himself in the EPL. Probably too good to be true of course, but there's no harm in dreaming I suppose.

Perhaps, for a time, get himself away from the entirely money-fuelled world of the Premier League.

Not sure on any that have been mentioned so far, Zola may become a good manager. But is he any better than Pardew? Curbishley has been been out of the game for to long in my mind! O'Neil would be the best bet at the moment but probably wouldn't consider us especially as he wouldn't put up with NC's shenanigans. As for Wise & Blackweel PLEASE NO!

Off the wall suggestion, what about Seam O'driscoll at Doncaster, he did well at Bournemouth, & has done a great job at Doncaster with a limited budget & knows the leagues we have to get through. He seems to be a good coach who can get the best out of his players.

Managers I can currently think of that are out of the game:

O'Neill

Sven

Zola

Blackwell

Curbishley

Coppell

Jewel

Ince

Megson

Dowie

Shearer?

Johnson

Brown

The only ones i'd accept out of that list are O'Neill and Zola. Add Southgate to them and that'd be the beginning of my shortlist.

Managers I can currently think of that are out of the game:

O'Neill

Sven

Zola

Blackwell

Curbishley

Coppell

Jewel

Ince

Megson

Dowie

Shearer?

Johnson

Brown

Now he would be a great choice, took Wigan from L1 to the PL and promoted to the PL with Bradford. Not great at Derby but that wasn't his team.

Edited by Turkish

O' Neill - Unlikely but would be a massive coup and may justify Pardew's sacking

Zola - Would be totally underwhelmed by his appointment

Coppell - Would be a good appointment but I feel he wouldn't get on with Cortese

I just really we don't appoint someone like Dowie or Ince or Shearer

There is absolutely no chance of getting Martin O'Neill. Quite apart from the gulf in levels and all the other considerations, it is well known that the guy is an absolute control freak. He demands to be personally in control of everything at the club, there were a log of people at Villa Park who breathed a sigh of relief when he went as he is a tyrant. There is no way Cortese would be prepared to give a manager that sort of control. He'll, he walked out on Villa because Randy Lerner wanted him to trim the wage bill and not spunk all the cash.

I think you have to look back at when Pardew was appointed, it was a massive coup to get him whatever people may think now. The situation when he was brought in was arguably a more attractive one than the current one to any prospective manager (not least because of the sword of Damocles that is obviously now hanging over the post - who is going to take the job knowing that they could get the bullet in such spectacular fashion?)

So I think we can forget about getting a high profile manager, unless it is one with something massive to prove - Zola being a perfect example, not quite sure why he would have *any* credence as a manager, his record is barely better than Shearer's.

There was a lot of talk within the management structure at Exeter last season that we were looking at Tisdale, maybe there was something in that, it's certainly a more realistic appointment.

Problem is, given the circumstances that now surround the club, there is realistically no chance of getting someone who has a better than average chance of doing better than Pardew. The whole thing seems to make no sense at all.

O'Neill

Keegan

O'Driscoll is indeed an interesting suggestion.

I would not be surprised if Shearer's name is mentioned.

After that the rising stars are:

Howe

Tisdale.

oR Lee Clark, lets bugger up Huddersfield's chances whilst we are at it.

Please not:

Turdishley

Zola

Svenis

or Southgate.

I think the only (0.01% probability) reason that O'Neill could come here would be the thought of a totally different challenge. There is no doubt that he is an excellent and could walk into most jobs (he is, IMO, far better than Benitez and look where he ended up......) I sincerely doubt he will come here, but will hold onto this dream until we are told the underwhelming truth of who our new manager will be.

As others have said, O'Neill apart, there is no-one out there at the moment who I would have picked over Pardew. Certainly now Zola, Coppell, Wise, or any others touted on this thread so far.