New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Whoever it will be my feeling is that it will be a well known and experienced manager. Why sack AP and bring in the likes of Howe or Tisdale?

Brown was on MOTD2 last night touting himself, no thanks. Curbishley, didn't seem to be able to hack it at Bristol City so what chance ata SMS, again no thanks. Zola or Vialli with the Italian links would be good IMHO. Dream ticket would be Martin O'Neill but as others have said would he want to drop 2 divisions? Having said that he would have the chance to build something fantastic and that might appeal to him.

Thanks to AP for all he has done for us though in the 13 months he was at SMS. Came in under tremendous pressure and did a good job in getting us to Wembley and 7th in the League. Thanks Alan and good luck in the future.

"The club has decided that, to achieve its well known targets, it is essential to make changes to the management," said a Southampton statement.

"We recognise that frequent changes to the football management are unlikely to assist in the winning of trophies and promotions.

"However, we are taking these steps to achieve our aims, which we share with all supporters, to get promoted this season, and secure long term stability and progress for our football operations.

These quotes MUST mean that a "proven" manager is lined up...MON clearly heads that list. If Cortese goes for a manager who has never won anything or got promotion then these statements cover the real reason.

If not MON which I actually think could be a goer....could explain the timing of this.....then there arent IMO any other really good appointments AND ones that will get the fans onside.

Whatever your critisism of Pardew team selection and tactics he has done a really good job here. The vast majority of the paying customerbase liked him I think so Cortese needs to pull a big rabbit out of a very small hat here!!!!

Shame Mourinho has just gone to Real!!!!

A couple of points

1. Whoever is the new manager will need to have the wow factor. AP was good and pretty high profile in the game. The new person will need to be better.

2. Attendances. The pricing strucuture, with high match day prices and no more ST sales, is geared to a high performing team and manager. Club plans to fill the 10,000 empty seats with full paying fans.

So whoever is appointed will have an immediate wow factor, sign new players and deliver promotion.

Probably not original but Mourinho failed to win his first league game at Real Madrid. That means, in this crazy football world, he must be available now! It's him or that Italian chap......What's his name?........Oh yes......Capello.

A couple of points

1. Whoever is the new manager will need to have the wow factor. AP was good and pretty high profile in the game. The new person will need to be better.

2. Attendances. The pricing strucuture, with high match day prices and no more ST sales, is geared to a high performing team and manager. Club plans to fill the 10,000 empty seats with full paying fans.

So whoever is appointed will have an immediate wow factor, sign new players and deliver promotion.

Completely agree!!! This is arguablt THE biggest call of Corteses time at the club!!!

A couple of points

Well it's going to be too late for that bit

The only name mentioned that would genuinely excite me from all those suggested is O'Neill.

Keegan would be fun too but I'd struggle to justify why he's any better than AP.

Just shows what a difficult position NC has now put himself into.

If he doesn't have a top name lined up the vast majority of the fan base are going to be disappointed as AP was already good enough.

NC - you have put yourself into a corner, I just hope you can pull the rabbit out of this particular hat.

Would love it to be Eddie Howe just for the enjoyment of ****ing the cherries off.

FYI Ruud Gullit just pulled up next to me and i saw his Sat Nav was set to St Marys.

What is Branfoot up to these days? I like to see what he could do with money!!! lol

A problem has been created here in that AP was doing OK and there was an expectation of promotion under him regardless of the indifferent start to the season. Therefore, if NC appoints a manager who seriously underwhelms or polarises the fanbase there will be a reaction in terms of loss of faith and revenue. This makes me think that the new man has been in the wings for a few weeks, negotiating terms and asking questions, and that the new man is a name to unify the fans and inspire the staff. Martin O Neill or Kevin Keegan are the only two names that immediately spring to mind who would seem to fit that bill, the likes of Zola or Curbishley could lead to indifference both on and off the park!

This decision will either be Cortese's triumph or downfall...

By the wording of the OS article the new manager would be the one Cortese wants to keep hold of and have in charge for the Premier League. This would therefore surely have to be someone with a proven managerial background and also someone that has bought into Cortese's future image for the club.

It won't be a manager it will be a first team coach under the new structure which will rules out any of the British big boys - which means it will someone like Tisdale or Howe, Zola or some other continental coach

By the wording of the OS article the new manager would be the one Cortese wants to keep hold of and have in charge for the Premier League. This would therefore surely have to be someone with a proven managerial background and also someone that has bought into Cortese's future image for the club.

Kevin Keegan is about the only manager in my living memory who has done what's required.

I have assumed Cortese has reanimated either Busby or Shankly to justify this one.

Nice to have all my fears about his uncontrolled egomania confirmed in one fell swoop... Oh no, not nice, what's the word... Worrying.

Well whoever it is will need to buy into the "Southampton Style" vision and bring on the kids. Cortese has banged on enough about that. MON doesn't really fit that template and I can't see him working with Cortese either - he isn't going to take kindly to a hands on chief exec.

I think it'll be Zola. That would also explain why Dean Wilkins is still here - I'd imagine Zola is still mates with Ray.

Whoever it is he has to have the following:

• Previous proven Managerial experience and tactically aware.
  • Ambitious and hungry for success.
  • 100% buy in to the Liehberr/Cortese dream
  • Experience at lower league football with the qualities to grow with the job
  • Able to work with different personalities and get the best out of individuals and the team collectively

Managers who have been out of the job for a while lack hunger and ambition

High profile Managers are not the answer in the lower leagues

Past sacking or quitings need not apply!

All in my opinion of course.

Steve mcClaren would be a good choice.

He just lost a game 3-4 this weekend after leading 3-0 at half time.

Martin O'Neill would never come to a L1 or Championship club - recently he was talked about as taking over from Sir Alex

I really don't want a foreign coach to be appointed - we need someone with experience of L1 and contacts in the game to bring in loans that could do a job in this division

Well whoever it is will need to buy into the "Southampton Style" vision and bring on the kids. Cortese has banged on enough about that. MON doesn't really fit that template and I can't see him working with Cortese either - he isn't going to take kindly to a hands on chief exec.

I think it'll be Zola. That would also explain why Dean Wilkins is still here - I'd imagine Zola is still mates with Ray.

This is exactly how I see it. The club statement alluded to that fact that the first team and development centre need to be more integrated so I can only see a young manager coming in who'll buy into that. I can see the manager only having a small role in future transfers etc so I can't see a more established manager wanting a part of that. I don't think Zola would be good for us, but I really think that's who we'll get.