New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Pearce - has he done anything as a manager? serious question - i cant remember!

He got Forest relegated - actually relieved of command by Bassett (a name that hasn't come up yet) before the end of the season, and was then rubbish at the old poor Manchester City.

Coleman got lucky at Fulham in inheriting a decent team but proved incapable of keeping it going long term, and was diabolical at Coventry and sacked before he could get them relegated.

Southgate would be an appalling choice.

We need to forget about a manager taking us into the Premiership. Unless you can find a Graham Taylor then the chances of a manager taking a team from the third tier to top and keeping them there are extremely unlikely.

What we need now is a manager to get into the Championship whatever it takes. Then we can start thinking about the next step.

Ronald Koeman... Think he's at Alkmar but recently tossed his hat in the ring for Villa. If he doesn't get that he might like another challenge in English football. Hang on though, him and Cortese would probably kill each other (same with MON).

So we might need a nice chap to get on with NC, with top of the range skills, experience at the highest level and preferably a foreigner wanting to return to England. In which case Cortese should ring up Gerard Houllier immediately. He'll probably misdial though and we'll end up with Sven. :uhoh:

Zola seems the most obvious to keep NC happy and he must be odds on, however I think SOD would be brilliant, but he keeps pishing NC off over Stock! Locally Eddie Howe has a big future, but is now the time?

My vote goes to GH (not Hoddle) who is great with kids and has been a mainstay of the French system for years. He is intelligent and an educator and has the continental cachet that I suspect Cortese will want. Will be hard to find anyone with superior coaching skills, he travels the world lecturing at coaching seminars and away from the blowtorch of Liverpool would probably be brilliant for us.

One last suggestion while I think of it.. Paul Le Guen.

O'Neill would be a fantastic appointment obviously but I can't see it really happening. As far as I'm concerned there's only one person Cortese should be on the phone to now and that's Tommy Widdrington. The only man who would make up for the disappointment of losing Pardew and I know I'm not alone on this.

I would be completely in favour of this if I didn't know that we have already approached an Italian manager and a striker from Serie B.

O'Neill would be a fantastic appointment obviously but I can't see it really happening. As far as I'm concerned there's only one person Cortese should be on the phone to now and that's Tommy Widdrington. The only man who would make up for the disappointment of losing Pardew and I know I'm not alone on this.

I think you probably are

He isn't you know...

My mate works in the Etap Hotel and he says that Tommy Widdrington was in there having a bowl of Coco Pops this morning.

Pair of mental tw*ts. On a more serious note, I'm looking forward to Megson as our manager.

I cannot understand why so many here, have got a hard on for MON, the fans at LCFC and AVFC, on the whole, do not have good things to say about him. IMO, he is a media monster, they have made him into this mega manager, he needs money, far more than we could offer him to spend. Some good names mentioned on here so far, it will be a surprise though, forget all the usual names, this one will come out of the leftside of the field.

I cannot understand why so many here, have got a hard on for MON, the fans at LCFC and AVFC, on the whole, do not have good things to say about him. IMO, he is a media monster, they have made him into this mega manager, he needs money, far more than we could offer him to spend. Some good names mentioned on here so far, it will be a surprise though, forget all the usual names, this one will come out of the leftside of the field.

Anyone who would not want MON if he was available and would come here frankly knows nothing about football.

Ronald Koeman... Think he's at Alkmar but recently tossed his hat in the ring for Villa. If he doesn't get that he might like another challenge in English football. Hang on though, him and Cortese would probably kill each other (same with MON).

So we might need a nice chap to get on with NC, with top of the range skills, experience at the highest level and preferably a foreigner wanting to return to England. In which case Cortese should ring up Gerard Houllier immediately. He'll probably misdial though and we'll end up with Sven. :uhoh:

Zola seems the most obvious to keep NC happy and he must be odds on, however I think SOD would be brilliant, but he keeps pishing NC off over Stock! Locally Eddie Howe has a big future, but is now the time?

My vote goes to GH (not Hoddle) who is great with kids and has been a mainstay of the French system for years. He is intelligent and an educator and has the continental cachet that I suspect Cortese will want. Will be hard to find anyone with superior coaching skills, he travels the world lecturing at coaching seminars and away from the blowtorch of Liverpool would probably be brilliant for us.

One last suggestion while I think of it.. Paul Le Guen.

I believe Houllier owns a house in Mudeford (Christchurch).

Nobody has mentioned but Tony Adams is a possibility. i know for a fact Cortese interviewed him prior to Pardew and was impressed upon meeting him last year. My personal opinion is i hope to god it wont be Adams or Coppell i just cant stand having to see another manager replaced again in six months.

Thankfully.....He is the current manager of Azerbaijan side Gabala FC.

...the bookies must be mad....but the punters even more so...who asked for a price on Carlton Palmer...

Gianfranco Zola 4/1

Paul Tisdale 5/1

Eddie Howe 6/1

Glenn Hoddle 7/1

Gareth Southgate 8/1

Phil Brown 10/1

Tony Mowbray 10/1

Ian Dowie 14/1

Jim Magilton 14/1

Alan Shearer 16/1

Chris Coleman 16/1

Paul Jewell 16/1

Dean Wikins 16/1

Steve Clarke 16/1

Dennis Wise 16/1

Alan Curbishley 20/1

Paul Ince 20/1

Gary Megson 20/1

Kevin Blackwell 20/1

Micky Adams 22/1

Steve Coppell 25/1

Kevin Keegan 25/1

Chris Wilder 25/1

Alan Knill 28/1

Jim Gannon 28/1

Martin O'Neill 33/1

Jeff Kenna 33/1

Dan Petrescu 40/1

Carlton Palmer 66/1

Matthew Le Tissier 100/1

Nobody has mentioned but Tony Adams is a possibility. i know for a fact Cortese interviewed him prior to Pardew and was impressed upon meeting him last year. My personal opinion is i hope to god it wont be Adams or Coppell i just cant stand having to see another manager replaced again in six months.

Pretty sure Adams has a pretty easy job in Azerbaijan that he won't want to leave. Eddie Howe, Paul Tisdale or Tony Mowbray for me.

Oh for God's sake, some one had to go and mention Adams. Nice one. Now you've gone and jinxed it. We were all studiously avoiding mentioning his name.

zola is the man , forget about any of the big names .We are only a league one team ffs

Which is why we were lucky to get a man of Pardew's qualities and experience in the first place.

Now we (and I most definitely include myself in this) are pleading not to be associated with a procession of ex England managers ie Twoddle, The Umbrella Man, Graham streetwalker Taylor and Dirty Sven, oh and even Kevin Keegan as well.!!

Are we really such a sleeping giant that top managers will be falling over themselves to enter the queue for the job, or will we get someone who is currently unemployed because no bugger else wants them? Sadly the latter methinks, and the chances of them being better than AP are not that high.

Naturally I will give any (within reason!!) new boss all my support, but i think this has been a move that will turn out to be very divisive amongst the fan base and who knows, maybe the players as well, seeing as the vast majority are AP signings ... or did NC really do all the signings himself?

A very sad day for me. Instead of finding we'd signed some wonderstar from under the noses of bigger clubs .... its back to arguing about who should be our next boss.

The Feel Good Factor from saturdays result didn't last long did it.

Hello Hello Southampton are Back, Southampton are Back.

Back to square bloody one.

I'm coming around to the Zola idea.

Not because I necessarily highly rate his managerial credientials higher than Pardew's (in isolation) but because I think he would actually fit the football club management model that Cortese is building.

It's arguably better to have a 'lesser developed' manager who fits the structure than a supposedly 'better' manager who's style doesn't fit the new structure.

Of course, whether the "Cortese/Liebherr Model" is actually right for English leagues or not is another debate altogether....but better to have a manager that fits the bill whilst the model is being persued.

I'm coming around to the Zola idea.

Not because I necessarily highly rate his managerial credientials higher than Pardew's (in isolation) but because I think he would actually fit the football club management model that Cortese is building.

It's arguably better to have a lesser developed manager who fits the structure than a supposedly better manager who's style doesn't fit the new structure.

Of course, whether the "Cortese/Liebherr Model" is actually right for English leagues or not is another debate altogether....

I wouldn't be unhappy if Zola was appointed. The thing that make me stop and think is that the whole management team was sacked. Doesn't that lend to the argument that NC has a manager and side-kicks ready to take over? Does Zola have side-kicks?

Which is why we were lucky to get a man of Pardew's qualities and experience in the first place.

Now we (and I most definitely include myself in this) are pleading not to be associated with a procession of ex England managers ie Twoddle, The Umbrella Man, Graham streetwalker Taylor and Dirty Sven, oh and even Kevin Keegan as well.!!

Are we really such a sleeping giant that top managers will be falling over themselves to enter the queue for the job, or will we get someone who is currently unemployed because no bugger else wants them? Sadly the latter methinks, and the chances of them being better than AP are not that high.

Naturally I will give any (within reason!!) new boss all my support, but i think this has been a move that will turn out to be very divisive amongst the fan base and who knows, maybe the players as well, seeing as the vast majority are AP signings ... or did NC really do all the signings himself?

A very sad day for me. Instead of finding we'd signed some wonderstar from under the noses of bigger clubs .... its back to arguing about who should be our next boss.

The Feel Good Factor from saturdays result didn't last long did it.

Hello Hello Southampton are Back, Southampton are Back.

Back to square bloody one.

Good post.

One thing's for sure, whoever gets the job will be collecting their P45 if we don't get promoted so we should only offer a 1 year rolling contract.

...the bookies must be mad....but the punters even more so...who asked for a price on Carlton Palmer...

Gianfranco Zola 4/1

Paul Tisdale 5/1

Eddie Howe 6/1

Glenn Hoddle 7/1

Gareth Southgate 8/1

Phil Brown 10/1

Tony Mowbray 10/1

Ian Dowie 14/1

Jim Magilton 14/1

Alan Shearer 16/1

Chris Coleman 16/1

Paul Jewell 16/1

Dean Wikins 16/1

Steve Clarke 16/1

Dennis Wise 16/1

Alan Curbishley 20/1

Paul Ince 20/1

Gary Megson 20/1

Kevin Blackwell 20/1

Micky Adams 22/1

Steve Coppell 25/1

Kevin Keegan 25/1

Chris Wilder 25/1

Alan Knill 28/1

Jim Gannon 28/1

Martin O'Neill 33/1

Jeff Kenna 33/1

Dan Petrescu 40/1

Carlton Palmer 66/1

Matthew Le Tissier 100/1

An honest question. Will a brit manager want to work under NC and his hands on approach?

Gianfranco Zola 4/1

Paul Tisdale 5/1

Eddie Howe 6/1

Glenn Hoddle 7/1

Gareth Southgate 8/1

Phil Brown 10/1

Tony Mowbray 10/1

Ian Dowie 14/1

Jim Magilton 14/1

Alan Shearer 16/1

Chris Coleman 16/1

Paul Jewell 16/1

Dean Wikins 16/1

Steve Clarke 16/1

Dennis Wise 16/1

Alan Curbishley 20/1

Paul Ince 20/1

Gary Megson 20/1

Kevin Blackwell 20/1

Micky Adams 22/1

Steve Coppell 25/1

Kevin Keegan 25/1

Chris Wilder 25/1

Alan Knill 28/1

Jim Gannon 28/1

Martin O'Neill 33/1

Jeff Kenna 33/1

Dan Petrescu 40/1

Carlton Palmer 66/1

Matthew Le Tissier 100/1

God, just reading that list is depressing, Ince, Blackwell, Megson FFS.

How long before Sven appears in the papers to say he always followed Southampton as a boy?

An honest question. Will a brit manager want to work under NC and his hands on approach?

An honest answer...if they're out of work and the money is good..they'll take their chances...if they're already in a job...will depend on what kind of charm job NC does on them...

There don't seem to be many chairmen that you'd want to work for (I know there are a few)....still can't believe how many terrible names are on the list... there's at least 5 (nearer to 10) I can't believe anyone would employ them in any job....

wtf? is it just me :o:rolleyes:

ah you on crack or something?!!

Redknapp ain't going to leave Spurs this soon. Especially not for bournemouth. Bournemouth will be his 'retirement' sunset-club.

no mate, I meant nobody would of expected the saggy jowled c*nt to leave the skates and come here. Id join the wrist-slitting brigade if he showed up within a mile of st marys

Looking at the list of odds has me quite worried. Apart from M o'N (who won't be interested) then the only name that would please me is Tony Mowbray. Epic fail at Celtic but did well with Baggies and plays good football which may be what NC is looking for. Zola can eff off frankly, I'd rather take Eddie Howe or Paul Tisdale as at least they have knowledge of lower league footy. But if we did appoint either of those it would be a big step backwards and a massive risk

You're surely not alone on this! Bizarrely, he's the reason I fell in love with Saints all those years ago haha!!

I am extremely underwhelmed by some of the names being banded about as our new prospective manager/coach.

many of them,imo,are not the calibre of Pardew,i know he had many detractors and we are a league 1 side but ffs.

I know i am setting my sights very high but as far as i'm concerned we were lucky to entice AP.

I would have him over 95% of the names listed.

All, imo.