New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Just got in to discover the news. Now, I haven't really got the time to go through the entire thread to check, but I wonder whether Tommy Widdrington might not be an outside bet. He would certainly get my vote!

I would be happy with Widdrington but I can't see it being Cortese's choice. I don't think being a Saints old boy ranks high on his tick list.

lol, how quality would Bilic be

It's funny, I watched him interviewed on the telly a couple of weeks ago and thought he could be perfect for us.

And he's got key members of his national squad moving over the hill at the same time.

Might be looking for an opportunity.

Sean O Driscoll for some reason does not even mention in the betting.Is there is a better footballing side in the championship than

Doncaster Rovers[maybe QPR], surely you would be pushed to find one?

That would be an excellent appointment.

I am extremely underwhelmed by some of the names being banded about as our new prospective manager/coach.

many of them,imo,are not the calibre of Pardew,i know he had many detractors and we are a league 1 side but ffs.

I know i am setting my sights very high but as far as i'm concerned we were lucky to entice AP.

I would have him over 95% of the names listed.

All, imo.

Agreed. What an unimpressive list compared with AP. Looks like we are moving away from the old style Club Manager model (eg Pearson and Pardew) to the Lowe-style First Team Coach model with NC in the RL role. And look where that got us.

What are any of the names on that list going to do that AP didnt?????

Thankyou Alan and your staff for the last year, the ups and the downs and the special day at Wembley, The feel good factor about our club has died today and a little bit of me is embarrassed to be a saints fan, it feels like someone turned back the clock.

A few more names

Slaven Billic

John Collins

And perhaps Eddie Howe may be being considered ?

Having worked with Eddie Howe for most of last season, as I moonlight as a journalist with AFC Bournemouth, I can tell you he'd rather die than manage us. Bournemouth hate Southampton, and Howe loved his very, very brief time at the Skates. So I'd rule that one out. He's also very much his own man. It seems to me that Pardew was playing with players that he had thrust upon him, found through our new scouting network, i.e Papa Waigo and potentially Guly. Howe always signs players he knows very well and would not react well to being told "Sign this guy, he's good. Go on. It's got the chairman's backing".

Don't think I'd want him either, personally.

He would be my choice too, but do you really think a manager like Martin O'Neill is going to drop down two divisions? There is no way a manager of O'Neills reputation and ability will join a league one club.

Personally I don't think we would get o'niell but not because he wouldn't drop down. If the job was right and success was achievable I think o'niell would jump at it. The problem I can see however is that o'niell likes to build a squad by bringing in the established players from elsewhere rather than building from the development centre.

I think the next manager will be someone that buys into the whole structure of the club now rather than the traditional manager we are more used too.

A high class Dutch duo type would be my guess but no idea who that may be.

It will be someone prepared to go along withe the continental sytem of Coaches picking from the players provided to them, and also having to take players from the development squad deemed good enough for the first team. That points to a "continental", as most UK Managers wouldn't wear it. That's the whole point of the new set-up, coaching system, and Scouting Network.

Head Coaches come and go, but the basic infrastructure behind them stays in place.

Zola.

Coppell said he had no plans to return to football management. However I can see him coming in as DoF which would fit in with Cortesi's alleged continental management structure plans. I have a feeling AP wasn't playing ball with this plan. Prehaps Zola as Head coach and Coppell as DoF.

Dont think o'neil would get on with cortesi. Just hope it is not Dowie, brown, ince or blackwell.

Whoever it is, if they don't get us promoted this season, then they're out too, and the Saints managerial merry-go-round continues.

I'll be going to the Swindon game tomorrow, I'll keep my peepers open. (There, that should mean the new appointment is today...)

Coppell said he had no plans to return to football management. However I can see him coming in as DoF which would fit in with Cortesi's alleged continental management structure plans. I have a feeling AP wasn't playing ball with this plan. Prehaps Zola as Head coach and Coppell as DoF.

Dont think o'neil would get on with cortesi. Just hope it is not Dowie, brown, ince or blackwell.

If true that Coppell has been seen around, it may be he is acting as an advisor in the search. Good guy in that capacity I'd have thought.

Don't really fancy any of this lot as being any better than Pardew.

Except Martin O'Neil.

Which won't happen.

UPDATED ODDS:

Gianfranco Zola 4/1

Paul Tisdale 5/1

Eddie Howe 6/1

Glenn Hoddle 7/1

Gareth Southgate 8/1

Phil Brown 10/1

Tony Mowbray 10/1

Ian Dowie 14/1

Jim Magilton 14/1

Alan Shearer 16/1

Chris Coleman 16/1

Paul Jewell 16/1

Dean Wikins 16/1

Steve Clarke 16/1

Dennis Wise 16/1

Alan Curbishley 20/1

Paul Ince 20/1

Gary Megson 20/1

Kevin Blackwell 20/1

Micky Adams 22/1

Steve Coppell 25/1

Kevin Keegan 25/1

Chris Wilder 25/1

Alan Knill 28/1

Jim Gannon 28/1

Martin O'Neill 33/1

Jeff Kenna 33/1

Dan Petrescu 40/1

Carlton Palmer 66/1

Matthew Le Tissier 100/1

Except Martin O'Neil.

Which won't happen.

UPDATED ODDS:

Gianfranco Zola 4/1

Paul Tisdale 5/1

Eddie Howe 6/1

Glenn Hoddle 7/1

Gareth Southgate 8/1

Phil Brown 10/1

Tony Mowbray 10/1

Ian Dowie 14/1

Jim Magilton 14/1

Alan Shearer 16/1

Chris Coleman 16/1

Paul Jewell 16/1

Dean Wikins 16/1

Steve Clarke 16/1

Dennis Wise 16/1

Alan Curbishley 20/1

Paul Ince 20/1

Gary Megson 20/1

Kevin Blackwell 20/1

Micky Adams 22/1

Steve Coppell 25/1

Kevin Keegan 25/1

Chris Wilder 25/1

Alan Knill 28/1

Jim Gannon 28/1

Martin O'Neill 33/1

Jeff Kenna 33/1

Dan Petrescu 40/1

Carlton Palmer 66/1

Matthew Le Tissier 100/1

Thank you Andy...one thing, we should want someone a whole lot better than Alan Pardew if we're schit-canning him and there is hardly anyone on that list as good, let alone better?? (Obviously a few exceptions).

As I mentioned on another thread, I think Zola ticks all the boxes. I understand that he is friends with NC and since losing his mate Markus, I think NC needs a new trusted ally by his side that has experience and commitment to the youth development program they are building. If I were a betting man, this is where my money would go right now (mind you, I'm not because I tend not to win too often!).

What are any of the names on that list going to do that AP didnt?????

Thankyou Alan and your staff for the last year, the ups and the downs and the special day at Wembley, The feel good factor about our club has died today and a little bit of me is embarrassed to be a saints fan, it feels like someone turned back the clock.

Oh do shut up we live in exciting times for the club.

Except Martin O'Neil.

Which won't happen.

UPDATED ODDS:

Gianfranco Zola 4/1

Paul Tisdale 5/1

Eddie Howe 6/1

Glenn Hoddle 7/1

Gareth Southgate 8/1

Phil Brown 10/1

Tony Mowbray 10/1

Ian Dowie 14/1

Jim Magilton 14/1

Alan Shearer 16/1

Chris Coleman 16/1

Paul Jewell 16/1

Dean Wikins 16/1

Steve Clarke 16/1

Dennis Wise 16/1

Alan Curbishley 20/1

Paul Ince 20/1

Gary Megson 20/1

Kevin Blackwell 20/1

Micky Adams 22/1

Steve Coppell 25/1

Kevin Keegan 25/1

Chris Wilder 25/1

Alan Knill 28/1

Jim Gannon 28/1

Martin O'Neill 33/1

Jeff Kenna 33/1

Dan Petrescu 40/1

Carlton Palmer 66/1

Matthew Le Tissier 100/1

I'm with you I wouldn't be impressed with most of that lot.....maybe 1 or 2 would be acceptable.

I really think that some of you are aiming far to low.

Beaten to it by SNSUN

:-D Sorry.

From the list of betting odds, I wouldn't mind Paul Jewell. He's been about a bit, is still fairly young in terms of managers and IMO CDAJFU Doubt he'd want to move down south though.

And, as this is my most sensible post of the day, I do think it will be an Italian manager coming in with a knowledge of the English style of play. So that does seemingly imply Zola.

As I mentioned on another thread, I think Zola ticks all the boxes. I understand that he is friends with NC and since losing his mate Markus, I think NC needs a new trusted ally by his side that has experience and commitment to the youth development program they are building. If I were a betting man, this is where my money would go right now (mind you, I'm not because I tend not to win too often!).

Exactly what boxes does Zola tick?

Dan Petrescu would be good actually. Played with us for a bit and is doing well with his team in Romania. Played at Chelski as well so possible connection with Wilkins hence why he's still here?

Perhaps he'd rather manage Bradford before coming to us.

If we are going eastern European then lets bring Ivan Golac in.

Exactly what boxes does Zola tick?

Don't think I'm saying Zola is the right guy, because I'm not. I cannot believe you really don't see this, however, here's some idea's...

a. He's a mate for NC now Markus is gone - don't underestimate this...NC is possibly somewhat isolated.

b. He has got good experience in the English game.

c. His time at Chelski means he has good contacts with certain staff who also have contact at Saints.

d. He was an exponent of utilising youth at West Ham and there are 2-3 good examples of where he helped develop players through the 1st team.

e. He is a Premiership quality manager that is without a club.

f. NC should be expected to aim high or risk failing in his quest for success.

g. Only a rumour, but there was talk of Zola being in the area recently.

There may be other points, but put these together and there's a case IMO.