Rickie Lambert

Dazza82

What has happened to our star of last season?

Lack of fitness? Confidence? Form?

He seems a shadow of himself from last season if it is down to fitness which it may well be, how can lallana miss pre season and now be up to speed before Lambert?

I honestly think he should be out of the team because he is out of form just like Puncheon is, then he will have to work his B*ll*cks off to get back in and it might kick start his season.

What has happened to our star of last season?

Lack of fitness? Confidence? Form?

He seems a shadow of himself from last season if it is down to fitness which it may well be, how can lallana miss pre season and now be up to speed before Lambert?

I honestly think he should be out of the team because he is out of form just like Puncheon is, then he will have to work his B*ll*cks off to get back in and it might kick start his season.

plus one

Rickie is what ? 28 years old. He is a League One player, he has never played at a higher level.

The last two seasons have been incredible for him goal scoring wise. There was a time last season, around February where he was shooting for 30 yards every week and only the keeper or woodwork were stopping them flying in.

There are very few players, if any, who can score 30 goals a season year after year.

He has had a purple patch that lasted 2 years.

If he was that good he would not be playing in this division.

He is not a bad player, he is a good player, especially in this league.

But seriously - he is judged on goals and the goals will not come as freely as last year every season.

We are seeing all Rickie's limitations because he is not scoring.

I still think he is the best centre forward in this league.

Rickie is what ? 28 years old. He is a League One player, he has never played at a higher level.

The last two seasons have been incredible for him goal scoring wise. There was a time last season, around February where he was shooting for 30 yards every week and only the keeper or woodwork were stopping them flying in.

There are very few players, if any, who can score 30 goals a season year after year.

He has had a purple patch that lasted 2 years.

If he was that good he would not be playing in this division.

He is not a bad player, he is a good player, especially in this league.

But seriously - he is judged on goals and the goals will not come as freely as last year every season.

We are seeing all Rickie's limitations because he is not scoring.

I still think he is the best centre forward in this league.

So why continue to play a centre forward who can't score this season, i think he's got two from open play this season, when we have got Barney looking up for every game and looking the most likely striker to get us a goal.

Also Lambert is not all about his goals its his link up play too, im sure he was 2nd to Lallana on assists last season, this season he has not really done much on assists

It takes no great insight to see that without a in-form Ricky Lambert we can be a blunt instrument at times, and after 16 games played I'd say our current league position (10th) is a pretty fair guide of where we stand in this division. Those on here who dared to suggest preseason that the squad wasn't perhaps quite as invincible as some thought would seem to have been justified by events - although it must be said that we are by no means the first team to fall into the trap of becoming over reliant on one special player. I've read with interest all the various theories of why Lambert ( a highly consistent goal scorer since 07/08 ) has so dramatically 'gone off the boil' as it were, but without getting inside this players head they're all little more than educated guesses really.

It seems to me that we can't just sit back and hope that Lambert gets his act together sometime soon, because it's starting to look like that could be a long wait. If we are really serious about promotion this season then the Liebherr family might have to put their hands in their pockets again this coming January. Whether they do (or don't) may well prove to be the 'acid test' of just how committed to their late father's vision they really are.

Lots of seeing last season through rose coloured specs.

Yes he scored lots of goals last year, this year they are just going wide or hitting defenders, but he was not a great player outside the box as some are claiming.

We tried Barnard and Connolly together earlier in the season and they stank the place out.

We lost today not because of Lambert but because we were to negative

Lots of seeing last season through rose coloured specs.

Yes he scored lots of goals last year, this year they are just going wide or hitting defenders, but he was not a great player outside the box as some are claiming.

We tried Barnard and Connolly together earlier in the season and they stank the place out.

We lost today not because of Lambert but because we were to negative

This Thread wasn't started because of todays loss otherwise i would of posted my views on the post match thread, Its about Lambert and his form and lack of it.

You're right lambert wasn't good outside the box last season all those free kicks he scored were inside the box, the free kicks he won, dropping deep to hold the ball up, flick on's to Lallana, Antonio,Puncheon and other runners, not to mention the number of goals he managed to get outside the box

It takes no great insight to see that without a in-form Ricky Lambert we can be a blunt instrument at times, and after 16 games played I'd say our current league position (10th) is a pretty fair guide of where we stand in this division. Those on here who dared to suggest preseason that the squad wasn't perhaps quite as invincible as some thought would seem to have been justified by events - although it must be said that we are by no means the first team to fall into the trap of becoming over reliant on one special player. I've read with interest all the various theories of why Lambert ( a highly consistent goal scorer since 07/08 ) has so dramatically 'gone off the boil' as it were, but without getting inside this players head they're all little more than educated guesses really.

It seems to me that we can't just sit back and hope that Lambert gets his act together sometime soon, because it's starting to look like that could be a long wait. If we are really serious about promotion this season then the Liebherr family might have to put their hands in their pockets again this coming January. Whether they do (or don't) may well prove to be the 'acid test' of just how committed to their late father's vision they really are.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10794~201025,00.html

d 0-0

w 1-0

d 1-1

w 2-0

w 2-0

l 0-2

w 2-1

w 3-1

w 4-0

w 2-0

l 2-3

lets not get carried away.

But goals aside, he just hasn't been the same player. He's won barely any headers, his passing has been slack and at the start of the season he looked seriously out of shape. He does need to be dropped, although Connolly isn't fit enough either and, as we saw today, 451 doesn't work very well.

This Thread wasn't started because of todays loss otherwise i would of posted my views on the post match thread, Its about Lambert and his form and lack of it.

You're right lambert wasn't good outside the box last season all those free kicks he scored were inside the box, the free kicks he won, dropping deep to hold the ball up, flick on's to Lallana, Antonio,Puncheon and other runners, not to mention the number of goals he managed to get outside the box

As you said they were free kicks outside the box, the flicks are there but Antionio isn't, Lallana has not played every game and Puncheon keeps disappearing up his own backside.

the major problem for Lambert is luck is not going with him and because of the lack of goals confidence is affected

I believe he will come good

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10794~201025,00.html

d 0-0

w 1-0

d 1-1

w 2-0

w 2-0

l 0-2

w 2-1

w 3-1

w 4-0

w 2-0

l 2-3

lets not get carried away.

Why thanks for your opinion, I'm sure the entire forum knows by now just how deeply I value it.

As this is a thread about Ricky Lambert, why don't you tell us just how many of the above SFC goals RL scored from open play ?

As you said they were free kicks outside the box, the flicks are there but Antionio isn't, Lallana has not played every game and Puncheon keeps disappearing up his own backside.

the major problem for Lambert is luck is not going with him and because of the lack of goals confidence is affected

Antonio only started 14 league games, getting two assists. Don't think him going is a significant factor in Lambert's form

this bit is saying how badly the team is doing and was correcting you ;)

Antonio only started 14 league games, getting two assists. Don't think him going is a significant factor in Lambert's form

I only mentioned Antionio because the post i was replying to said about Lambert flicking onto Antionio.

My argument is that Lambert scored lots of goals last season, many from free kicks and penalties, this year the same shots are hitting defenders or just going wide rather than in.

His luck will change

Oh you've never 'corrected' me in the last 3 years - but keep trying you might get there one of these days.

twice in one thread! Those last 11 games - a decent amount of time for a team - is probably about the best, or second to Brighton. Not the mid table performing team you are enjoying crowing about.

think there is lot of luck involved with kicking a goalscorer into a good run.

His passing etc was not great last season, there were games when he was quite poor - but then did his job by scoring -then all is forgiven

Exactly for me to many are knocking to early , the early games when he did not play Barnard and Connolly were awful together

I don't believe it is confidence, just so long. Dave Merrington was saying how slow Lambert looked and only contributed 1 goal from open play and a deflected free kick. I would have expected more from his free kicks than the solitary deflection.

It's been so long now without any real sign of improvement, I feel we should look to alternatives otherwise it will all slip away. How Adkins feels he can play a counter attacking game with Lambert at the pinnacle is something I am having a problem squaring. I don't know about today, but find it difficult to understand why he can no longer jump effectively?

How about a sweepstake on when Rickie will score his next goal from open play?! Unthinkable that the guy who couldn't stop scoring last year has only got 1 goal from open play this year.

Just read today's match report on the OS and, apart from appearing in the team listing, his name isn't even mentioned! That's the most worrying thing for me; it doesn't sound like he's even coming close to scoring from open play...

Well if either of them, or whoever, have continued to keep an eye on him they'll be glad they kept their money in their pockets right now.

Exactly, playing like a limp lettuce is not the best way to put yourself in the shop window.

The mind boggles, how can someone so good last season be so dire this one?

I wonder if Adkins is doing anything to address Lamberts poor form?

Again, i see this prolonged dip in form as a sign that Adkins is not upto the task of getting the best out of a squad,one that should be performing vastly better than it has been.

Blame the manager if you like, but it's not Nigel Adkins fault that Ricky Lambert is struggling to score from open play - this started before he even arrived here did it not ? He is also not to blame for the fact that our other strikers (none of them his signings I would point out) aren't that prolific either or the fact that Puncheon & Schneiderlin are so utterly hopeless in front of goal.

It's a terrible old football cliche but still true - football really is all about the players.

The difference last year was Rickie was anticipating earlier to give him a yard of space.Now his acceleartion, if that is the right word, is slower than last year, over three yards. Several times this year defenders have been able to get in tackles because he has slowed and unable to get in a shot. While never fast a player of Lambert's calibre must use muscle and guile. His guile has deserted him at the moment but I also suspect that he may have peaked at his fitness and therefore may never get any quicker over three yards let alone over ten.

He has always been a slug, now he is a slug that knows no matter what he is the first name on the team sheet.

Drop him if he can`t get his act together before Jan get shot no passengers required simples.

I don't think that is the case, He doesn't strike me as that sort of person if he is then surely he would of been the same at Bristol Rovers

I think if you watch him you can see the lack of confidence.

Against Bournemouth a ball came to him across the edge of the area, (last season he would have hit it first time), this season he wants a touch first which allowed a defender to cover the shot.

Last season free kicks were hit hard putting his foot through the ball, this season they are side footed to make sure they are on target making them easy to save.

I don't see a confident lad who dropping will suddenly make hungry again, I see someone who needs to play every game. To be given the ball and the supporters to back him 100%.

He hasn't stopped trying IMO he is trying too hard and being too cautious, worried about making a mistake.

Get off his back and let him play through it!

When he starts scoring he will score for fun again. The confidence will return, shots will be hit first time, free kicks will be taking with no fear of missing the target and we will hero

I think if you watch him you can see the lack of confidence.

Against Bournemouth a ball came to him across the edge of the area, (last season he would have hit it first time), this season he wants a touch first which allowed a defender to cover the shot.

Last season free kicks were hit hard putting his foot through the ball, this season they are side footed to make sure they are on target making them easy to save.

I don't see a confident lad who dropping will suddenly make hungry again, I see someone who needs to play every game. To be given the ball and the supporters to back him 100%.

He hasn't stopped trying IMO he is trying too hard and being too cautious, worried about making a mistake.

Get off his back and let him play through it!

When he starts scoring he will score for fun again. The confidence will return, shots will be hit first time, free kicks will be taking with no fear of missing the target and we will hero

Surely if he lacked confidence who wouldn't step up and take the penalties he has done so far this season and they are all very well taken, if he lacked confidence he would probably scuff,miss or not want to take the pens

Madine looked a better player yesterday, but Lambert just needs a confidence boost to get back to where he belongs. Scoring almost every week for Saints!!

Agree with Madine think we should of tried to sign him in the summer, i thinnk he will be off to the CCC in January i believe Reading are interested

I don't believe it is confidence, just so long. Dave Merrington was saying how slow Lambert looked and only contributed 1 goal from open play and a deflected free kick. I would have expected more from his free kicks than the solitary deflection.

It's been so long now without any real sign of improvement, I feel we should look to alternatives otherwise it will all slip away. How Adkins feels he can play a counter attacking game with Lambert at the pinnacle is something I am having a problem squaring. I don't know about today, but find it difficult to understand why he can no longer jump effectively?

I agree completely, and just want to add that he has lost his belief in winning the 50/50 balls and that his foot will get anywhere first. Something has happened to the man, and just keeping on playing him seems more to rub it in than finding him a way out of it. None of the other strikers we've got can play the role of a no 9, which reminds me of AP's calls for signing somebody in Lambert's mould both as cover and competition.

I agree completely, and just want to add that he has lost his belief in winning the 50/50 balls and that his foot will get anywhere first. Something has happened to the man, and just keeping on playing him seems more to rub it in than finding him a way out of it. None of the other strikers we've got can play the role of a no 9, which reminds me of AP's calls for signing somebody in Lambert's mould both as cover and competition.

I do sometimes wonder if we turned down an offer (or priced him out of the market)for him this summer from a side he fancied playing for and he's taken it to heart a bit. This could apply in a couple of other cases as well.