Flag issue - New design needed!

JustMike

i havent ordered the big one.

What we have seen from both this thread, the facebook page and previous threads is that we will all never agree but the general consensus is that its a combination of 2 designs that the majority seem to like.

Yeah agreed. How long does it take to make the large one?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not put it out to vote. I'm sorry but there's been enough hysterics for p1ss poor designs on here to suggest that the majority commenting do not have a clue about design today. If it goes out to vote, ok we get a consensus but then settle for mediocrity and most probably ridicule.

ML's name DOES NOT need to be mentioned (we know who he is), it DOES NOT need a Thank You(6 grand on a flag is thank you enough) and it doesn't need a badge (does that need explaining?)

As mentioned the face (the wave distorts the image and leaves way too much air in the overall image I'm afraid) and 'Forever a Saint' (halo an option but I'm not convinced) are all that is needed. Again, look at the scallys for design direction.

Simple is the way.

25fkh01.jpg

If noone's got an issue with this one, can we not go with this one? Time is of the essence! We just need someone to do a black/white vector version of the picture (ie. simplify it so it's not as grainy in places) and we're almost good to go! I suppose the only debate from then is whether we go for portrait with FOREVER A SAINT in one line across the top or, if we do go for landscape, whether to have the FOREVER A SAINT in three lines or two (ie. the A SAINT in one line below forever)..

Yep. This one I reckon. Nice and simple, not cheesy. Just depends on whether or not the photo of Markus will blowup to the size needed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not put it out to vote. I'm sorry but there's been enough hysterics for p1ss poor designs on here to suggest that the majority commenting do not have a clue about design today. If it goes out to vote, ok we get a consensus but then settle for mediocrity and most probably ridicule.

ML's name DOES NOT need to be mentioned (we know who he is), it DOES NOT need a Thank You(6 grand on a flag is thank you enough) and it doesn't need a badge (does that need explaining?)

As mentioned the face (the wave distorts the image and leaves way too much air in the overall image I'm afraid) and 'Forever a Saint' (halo an option but I'm not convinced) are all that is needed. Again, look at the scallys for design direction.

Simple is the way.

Instead of ripping into each and every one of us that have put time and effort into coming up with something, get off your f*****g high horse and "show us the way" you :spaz:.

Instead of ripping into each and every one of us that have put time and effort into coming up with something, get off your f*****g high horse and "show us the way" you :spaz:.

Why? I've had my say, it's already been done in post #123. I appreciate your time and effort pal, I just don't think they stand up to the standards set by other clubs and I certainly don't want our club looking like a bunch of amateurs who look like they've been given the keys to the crayon cupboard.

FYI, I work collaboratively with professionals I employ from time to time to provide the artwork I need for this kind of work. I'll leave it at that rather than resorting to name calling.

Simple is the way.

Have to say I agree completely (although no need to talk of others' designs as "p1ss poor"!).. I appreciate everyone's efforts (each and every flag shown on here has contributed in some way to the final design, be sure of that) but I think too many people are failing to appreciate that what looks good as an image on here won't necessarily look good on a flag. I think it's so important to keep the design simple and I believe the below, with a few tweaks people have mentioned previously (vector version of the picture, FOREVER A SAINT on two lines as opposed to three), is our answer. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OBJECTIONS TO THIS DESIGN?

2m5gk1z.jpg
Edited by saintmatt
too early in the morning..

Why? I've had my say, it's already been done in post #123. I appreciate your time and effort pal, I just don't think they stand up to the standards set by other clubs and I certainly don't want our club looking like a bunch of amateurs who look like they've been given the keys to the crayon cupboard.

FYI, I work collaboratively with professionals I employ from time to time to provide the artwork I need for this kind of work. I'll leave it at that rather than resorting to name calling.

So instead of saying this from the outset and maybe trying to sort something out, you yet again act the big man. I know my effort didn't stand up to standards set by other clubs, but it's not exactly my field so I apologise. If you know where we go to get this done tip top, then by all means get the party started and lead the way.

If your not going to, and instead are going to be the high and mighty with your pointless comments, then kindly exit through the nearest door as there isn't much room for that in here.

Sorry Gecko, it's just a bit busy for a flag. Lovely graphic work as usual but just too much for the purpose. The two tone red/White ideas shown earlier just look cleaner, better to me.

Agreed. It's a really good design, I just don't like the colours, the Crest or the Thank You.

I think the design needs to be a bit more rugged rather than clean and crisp if that makes sense?

So instead of saying this from the outset and maybe trying to sort something out, you yet again act the big man. I know my effort didn't stand up to standards set by other clubs, but it's not exactly my field so I apologise. If you know where we go to get this done tip top, then by all means get the party started and lead the way.

If your not going to, and instead are going to be the high and mighty with your pointless comments, then kindly exit through the nearest door as there isn't much room for that in here.

Dear oh dear. Look, I'll give you the 'p1ss poor' comment might've been a tad strong. I was on my way to bed & couldn't bear to think that efforts that have been widely applauded on here might actually get the nod.

With regard to me sorting something out, as I say, I employ people to press the buttons, my budgets don't extend to doing something in kind for the forum and tbh I was fully in the belief that someone on here would be able to come up with the goods. Thankfully, Mike's plea of the past few days has given people with the required skills enough of a kick up the behind to bring us to this point.

I would repeat though that putting it out to vote would be a massive mistake. Just take a look at the celebrated efforts on the fb page. I think the party's started. I SAID #123

As for acting the big man, I fail to see it unless you've got some exceptional vision and can see my 6'4" frame sitting here typing this. Go pick a fight somewhere else.

Yeh, this sounds much better than Saint Markus. So this one below with Forever a Saint? No idea how to edit in that font, so won't bother. Mr Lungs?

saintmarkus.jpg

My vote for this one, nice and simply which seems to be the basis for good stadium flags.

Dear oh dear. Look, I'll give you the 'p1ss poor' comment might've been a tad strong. I was on my way to bed & couldn't bear to think that efforts that have been widely applauded on here might actually get the nod.

With regard to me sorting something out, as I say, I employ people to press the buttons, my budgets don't extend to doing something in kind for the forum and tbh I was fully in the belief that someone on here would be able to come up with the goods. Thankfully, Mike's plea of the past few days has given people with the required skills enough of a kick up the behind to bring us to this point.

I would repeat though that putting it out to vote would be a massive mistake. Just take a look at the celebrated efforts on the fb page. I think the party's started. I SAID #123

As for acting the big man, I fail to see it unless you've got some exceptional vision and can see my 6'4" frame sitting here typing this. Go pick a fight somewhere else.

Solved.

As for the facebook page, I took one look and moved away. I think on here there are a few good ones however that have had a fair bit of time put into them. Hense why I took offence.

Have to say I agree completely (although no need to talk of others' designs as "p1ss poor"!).. I appreciate everyone's efforts (each and every flag shown on here has contributed in some way to the final design, be sure of that) but I think too many people are failing to appreciate that what looks good as an image on here won't necessarily look good on a flag. I think it's so important to keep the design simple and I believe the below, with a few tweaks people have mentioned previously (vector version of the picture, FOREVER A SAINT on two lines as opposed to three), is our answer. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OBJECTIONS TO THIS DESIGN?

I sort of agree with your comments although I think we could use a more tasteful and less garish typeface (without losing the punch of the message). I recommend Helvetica Bold caps (not ultra bold) but set in two lines as you say.

But my main objection is that on this design Marcus is drowning in red and just won't do!!

Jemanson's rendering of Marcus's face with subtler light and shade on the face and with tiny shades of black emphasising Marcus's cheery personality is so much fresher and much more engaging and dynamic. And contrary to your fears will work well on a flag (especially given the enormous size of the flag).

I hope this is given consideration

Whether the way theyin put his comments across was off the mark or not, the content of what he was saying is spot on. However I'm glad that it's now starting to concentrate down onto the better efforts. Design by committee NEVER works (the process is often attributed to poorly designed or unpopular products) so suffice to say it may be necessary to eschew democracy (purely in terms of the absolute final decision making) in order to achieve a high quality flag.

I think we can pretty much all agree that even if there's subtleties about the design that you'd have personally done differently, it's worth glossing over them to ensure we don't waste £4k+ on something that looks sh*t and so never gets used again.

If we're taking forward the mooted design, nobody has to take it as read that that's exactly how it needs to be sent to be created. The red can be made darker, Markus can be brought out more - whatever is essential. It's very rare for there to be design work completed without any amends whatsoever. The difference is that you report to a project manager or brief owner, so at least there's only a few people in the feedback loop. Ultimately I believe IMO that it should to be JustMike in this instance as he was kind enough and committed enough to step up and take the mantle.

Mike - is there a timescale for how long it would take the company to create our flag and have it delivered? Just starting to think about when the deadline needs to be for the design stage to be completed. The other danger is that we endless tinker with it and it drags on too long for the flag to be ready for day 1 of the season.

Final note - GeckoSaint's design is striking and iconic, but it's almost certainly too intricate for a flag (my limited knowledge of creating on material at the scale we're discussing notwithstanding). It would be brilliant used on in-your-face media types such as a website's splash page or a matchday programme.

Final note - GeckoSaint's design is striking and iconic, but it's almost certainly too intricate for a flag (my limited knowledge of creating on material at the scale we're discussing notwithstanding). It would be brilliant used on in-your-face media types such as a website's splash page or a matchday programme.

Perhaps GeckoSaint would knock up a cross between the two if we ask him nicely? The line cut off on the current favorite looks very amateur.

Glad Gecko has got involved, but I think his image is too complex for a flag. I also think the current favourite is ok, but the colouring doesn't seem right - too much red (as already said). The scallys' pictures had some stylised images of KD. Maybe the way to go - focus on the teeth?? The glasses?? As with everyone else, don't want us to look like a bunch of amateur tossers with their heart in the right place. Another idea is to bung the money at a pro design company and have NC pay for the actual production of the best design. Not sure 4k would get us a lot of design work tho.

Really like Kraken's design, though it would be great if we could do something with 'forever a saint'.

It occupies three lines and clutters space; worse, the 'a' occupies pride of the place in the centre, even though its the least important part of the flag and consequently the eye gets distracted by it. Ideally the forever a saint would be on two lines or alternatively we would use something else e.g. 'never forgotten'.

Using Helvetica would mean there's also the nice little thing that we'd be using a font that is widely heralded as the best in there is for it's design, plus it's product of Switzerland (so ties in with markus' roots).

Personally i still think these are far to complex for a flag, it should really be at best a bust, personally i'd look for heavy stripes (ala rank xerox kit) with a centrally aligned image and either a single simple iconic line or maybe even non at all.

For what it's worth all my experience of design (i'm a graphic/web designer) says that you live and die by your copy. The more there is, the cheesier the message or the balance against the layout, the more the likelihood what you'll end up with will look ****.

If you look at the scallies benitez one part of what is clever is they've balanced a good font (nice kerning and it fits the message) with an intelligent message (the words everything is possible in Spanish).

Now to achieve this same effect i'd personally get someone multilingual to write a very short, no more than one line, message in Markus' native tongue (is french swiss or german swiss? the K and surname would suggest german).

Mind you if it were up to me i'd pay for it to get done professionally, by someone who'd worked in the medium before and understood what could be achieved and what the limitations were. The matching of medium to designer is hugely important, if you want the best tattoo design you don't get a web guy and vice versa.