Flag issue - New design needed!

JustMike

Some great ideas, particularly like Mattio and Crab Lungs (1st ideas) Think the face is too big in the second one.. Agree with what people have said about keeping it simple. Having said that I agree with the fact that less of his jacket should be used, but at the same time I think the photo of him with the scarf around his neck and his arm aloft waving is iconic.

Would leave out the saints crest as well I think - or maybe make it smaller in one corner.

9jdoad.jpg

Any good??

I was going to ask if someone could show what the silhouette would look like in just white - so thanks! Really like this and Crab Lungs' effort.

For me:

- the white only silhouette just shades it (pun intended)

- I agree Markus' face should be central

- "forever a saint" should be the writing (over the top maybe?)

- I agree that there should be no logo (but if there is it should be all black and more subtle)

All my opinion of course! Well done everyone, especially those who have contributed a design; this is going to be a great tribute!

I agree that the crest and the words Southampton Football Club are unnecessary, and please let's make sure we spell Liebherr correctly!

I personally think this effort by Crab Lungs

thankyoumarkus.jpg

is very good, but CL could you remove the crest and the current writing and just put the words "WE SHALL NEVER FORGET" or "NEVER FORGOTTEN". See how that looks.

Good effort people.

I agree that the crest and the words Southampton Football Club are unnecessary, and please let's make sure we spell Liebherr correctly!

I personally think this effort by Crab Lungs

thankyoumarkus.jpg

is very good, but CL could you remove the crest and the current writing and just put the words "WE SHALL NEVER FORGET" or "NEVER FORGOTTEN". See how that looks.

Good effort people.

Does anyone else think he looks a bit like Jack Duckworth in that picture tho??? Just a thought!

thankyoumarkus.jpg

I wonder what would happen if you played around with alwightmush's pics - think they strike athe best balance between capturing Markus familiar wave and not having too much superfluous or distracting detail i.e. the jacket. That picture also has the advantage of including the scarf which has the badge, so there wouldn't be a need to put another on the right, perhaps freeing space for more text on the left (think your font is v.good). But the less text and the more prominent the pic of ML, the better.

Edited by shurlock

9jdoad.jpg

Any good??

Probably best image so far imho - would like to see the crest (not necessarily in colour) incorporated and both the image and crest at an angle, with something simple like 'Saint Markus'.

Don't like the idea of the words 'thanks' on it - I think that message is kind of obvious really.

Without wanting to upset all ye good posters putting ideas up - we really do, as somebody above said, need Gecko Saints help - this is (I believe) the sort of thing he does for a living.

Probably best image so far imho - would like to see the crest (not necessarily in colour) incorporated and both the image and crest at an angle, with something simple like 'Saint Markus'.

Don't like the idea of the words 'thanks' on it - I think that message is kind of obvious really.

Without wanting to upset all ye good posters putting ideas up - we really do, as somebody above said, need Gecko Saints help - this is (I believe) the sort of thing he does for a living.

Agree with Micky, on a few counts.

Firstly. I think the crest should be there, and converted from full colour to just red and white.

Secondly, the words need sorting out. The font on mine was very poor for a start, and the words need to be more resounding, while staying as a short statement.

And third; no offence at all taken, a professional designer really needs to get their hands on this. If Gekko can get involved, brilliant. A fair amount of money is being thrown at this; while I think it's great amateurs such as me can throw a few ideas around, it really needs someone who properly knows what they're doing to get involved and give us a polished end product that everyone can be happy with.

thankyoumarkus.jpg

My favourite too. A couple of suggestions I'd add are:

1. I don't think the picture of Markus should be touching the top AND bottom of the flag. Looks a bit too 'zoomed in' for want of a better phrase. Like watching a TV when the kids have been f**king with the aspect ratio. Leave a bit of space just above his head.

2. I don't think it needs the badge. It just clutters the flag and doesn't nessy-celery add anything.

I think Kracken is p*ssing in the right hedge with that one above.

OK, I'm a web designer by trade and not a graphic (print) designer, but there's a few things that need serious consideration:

• Have any of these designs been created in Illustrator? A rasterized image won't do at any DPI, it needs to be a scalable vector graphic (unless the flag creators are VERY generous and will re-create the design at the appropriate scale as part of the price).
  • Though some of these layouts look pretty good on a nice flat screen, it's highly unlikely that the flag will be so legible or recognisable when being passed around St. Mary's.
  • Further to the above, the design needs to be bold and feature the minimum number of colours (which is why the red and white background/grayscale Markus idea fits).
  • If there's to be any text it'll need to be pretty large (even relative to the flag size) and possibly will need a stretched height and increased gap between letters.

I will do my best to find time to knock a rough design up this weekend, but as I say I'm a Photoshop man so it'll only be useful as a concept, not the finished article. However it could significantly aid with finalising typography etc. as those elements are closer to my forte.

One of the biggest problems will be that there's not going to be a photo of Markus in existence with an adequate resolution for printing straight onto a flag. If somebody could step up to the bat and draw a grayscale or black and white vector version based on one of the photos we'd be cooking with gas.

With the badge removed.

16jrn0w.jpg

I like the style but hate the wording. It's cheesy. They know we appreciate what he done so don't need to pull out a giant £6,000 flag every few weeks saying "Thank You".

I'd agree best design so far. I like Crab Lungs choice of font and Krakens lay-out but would need to be re-jigged if the dimensions were correct before removing the badge.

Maybe (but still a bit cheesy)...

SAINT MARKUS

WITH US

FOREVER

I love the idea, but do not feel it needs a badge on it. It is pretty safe to say that in the Saints end of SMS it is going to be something to do with Saints!!

Now lets get working on the In Nigel we trust one while we are at it!!

With the badge removed.

16jrn0w.jpg

Nice, I agree with everyone else that we don't need the badge. Makes it look a little amateurish otherwise. We know we're Saints.

As we're planning on keeping this flag and taking it for years to come (we are, aren't we?) I also think that removing the "Thank you" would be a good idea... I think we need to take a leaf out of Liverpools book and remember that the simpler the better. Had a quick play with the one above...

saintmarkus.jpg

Nice, I agree with everyone else that we don't need the badge. Makes it look a little amateurish otherwise. We know we're Saints.

As we're planning on keeping this flag and taking it for years to come (we are, aren't we?) I also think that removing the "Thank you" would be a good idea... I think we need to take a leaf out of Liverpools book and remember that the simpler the better. Had a quick play with the one above...

saintmarkus.jpg

I agree but would prefer to have the "Markus Liebherr Forever a Saint" text as maybe saint Markus is a bit cheesy?

saintmarkus.jpg

Definitely this one. However, I'd personally change the font to solid block form, and maybe just have LIEBHERR written instead. But the simpler the better. We shouldn't complicate it with too much text/imagery.

Edited by 23rdSaint