Flag issue - New design needed!

JustMike

Thanks scudamore for another I like lol!

To all the knockers (for want of a better phrase) I don't have an expert I can turn to nor a project manager type. I have no doubt that the company making the flag will have someone in house to do any vector style image based on the sample I send them, after all they aren't asking me for a 20m x 15 image lol. Will take everyone's comments in mind when making the final choice.

I rather like the halo myself...but can see a call for it's removal. Here it is without.

markus3.png

It is a good effort mate and I like the halo too.

I would love to see how it would look with Markus in the centre and the lettering at either the top or bottom though. Maybe you have tried that already?

Looks like a ****ing Tesco bag.

Stick with something simple.

Big picture of Markus taking centre stage with a load of red/white background and some simple wording without the name.

apart from Tesco has blue ;-)

People have said the other one looks like KFC, either way we aren't going to please everyone

Scudamore's design is very nice, but I think less is more here. Red background, Markus' face and a simple, yet effective, phrase. Will look fantastic going around St. Mary's.

Speaking of which, any idea how many seats/rows/blocks a flag of 20mx15m is likely to cover?

apart from Tesco has blue ;-)

People have said the other one looks like KFC, either way we aren't going to please everyone

There's no pressure Mike. This is what happened the last time fans organised something. TBH (and no offence), i'm expecting the flag to be really funny in a cringey sort of way. Good luck.

_42700405_statue270.jpg

There's no pressure Mike. This is what happened the last time fans organised something. TBH (and no offence), i'm expecting the flag to be really funny in a cringey sort of way. Good luck.

_42700405_statue270.jpg

lol yes i am wary of a repeat. but to be fair most of the efforts are waaay better than that statue ever was!

Personally i still think these are far to complex for a flag, it should really be at best a bust, personally i'd look for heavy stripes (ala rank xerox kit) with a centrally aligned image and either a single simple iconic line or maybe even non at all.

For what it's worth all my experience of design (i'm a graphic/web designer) says that you live and die by your copy. The more there is, the cheesier the message or the balance against the layout, the more the likelihood what you'll end up with will look ****.

If you look at the scallies benitez one part of what is clever is they've balanced a good font (nice kerning and it fits the message) with an intelligent message (the words everything is possible in Spanish).

Now to achieve this same effect i'd personally get someone multilingual to write a very short, no more than one line, message in Markus' native tongue (is french swiss or german swiss? the K and surname would suggest german).

Mind you if it were up to me i'd pay for it to get done professionally, by someone who'd worked in the medium before and understood what could be achieved and what the limitations were. The matching of medium to designer is hugely important, if you want the best tattoo design you don't get a web guy and vice versa.

Agree completely

25fkh01.jpg

I sort of agree with your comments although I think we could use a more tasteful and less garish typeface (without losing the punch of the message). I recommend Helvetica Bold caps (not ultra bold) but set in two lines as you say.

But my main objection is that on this design Marcus is drowning in red and just won't do!!

Jemanson's rendering of Marcus's face with subtler light and shade on the face and with tiny shades of black emphasising Marcus's cheery personality is so much fresher and much more engaging and dynamic. And contrary to your fears will work well on a flag (especially given the enormous size of the flag).

I hope this is given consideration

I have no problem with the font but am open to a change if people feel it's necessary - as long as it's clear and not one of these squiggly pretentious fonts!

I think the "drowning in red" would be solved by a vector version but, as mentioned previously, we should be careful not to produce a cartoon Markus. (For the record, by vector version, I mean a subtle tidying up of the above image, nothing more. Nothing should be added, such as the side of his face that is not outlined. If we begin adding things, we begin creating a cartoon.)

Edited by saintmatt

This thread has proved that you are never going to please everyone, and that there will always be somebody smug (like Dune) who will criticise the flag without putting in any effort whatsoever himself.

It's a sign of the times that we are all worrying what everyone else will think of it. If Saints fans generally like it then what is the problem. It's the thought that counts in these things and that is plain to see.

25fkh01.jpg

I have no problem with the font but am open to a change if people feel it's necessary - as long as it's clear and not one of these squiggly pretentious fonts!

I think the "drowning in red" would be solved by a vector version but, as mentioned previously, we should be careful not to produce a cartoon Markus. (For the record, by vector version, I mean a subtle tidying up of the above image, nothing more. Nothing should be added, such as the side of his face that is not outlined. If we begin adding things, we begin creating a cartoon.)

what is the process called to get that effect (either the black & white one or the colour one above)?

This is by FAR the best design so far. The selective black tinting on eyes and that little bit emphasising his smile (captures his personality well) and behind the kneck and shirt are exactly right as are the proportions of the white stripes. The caption is well balanced, and the black outlining makes up for the well balanced type being smaller than some of the garish other designs on here and will stand out ok on the large flag. Just needs the red background stretching either side to fit the format.

Go for this.

Love this one too.

Last one from me. A simple one as a few were saying.

If this place goes to prove anything it's that you can't please all the people all the time.

And that if a designer is looking to preserve his ego he should stay the f::ck away from you lot!

markus4.png

Right...free listing eBay day...

I'm sure this will be brilliant when it's made. Mike has gone to a company who make Flags and not someone who sculptures birds so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Still LOL everytime I see the original Ted Bates statue. I wish that thread was still about with the initial comments :(

helpful as ever. what do you suggest? a blue flag with maggie on?

Ein Volk, Ein Klub, Ein Liebherr (ok maybe not the most suitable suggestion (utterly unsuitable actually), but it illustrates a catchy slogan.

There must be loads of original slogans that could be used. I'm not saying they would be better than what is already planned, but it won't hurt to encourage some creativity.

Still LOL everytime I see the original Ted Bates statue. I wish that thread was still about with the initial comments :(

Me too.

I remember a 20 minute conversation with Exit2 on the Sunday?? and we never managed more than one or two words as we just constantly laughing about it. Someone find that thread, black humour at its best.

And back to the flags, have to say I'm not keen on the "cartoon" style ones and although Gecko has produced some quality stuff in the past (and is a top bloke), I personally don't like his or Scudamore's styles.

Think I'd go with the same style as the opnes they have on the Kop (whatever font/style that is called).

If this place goes to prove anything it's that you can't please all the people all the time.

And that if a designer is looking to preserve his ego he should stay the f::ck away from you lot!

markus4.png

It HAS to be this one.

I rather like the halo myself...but can see a call for it's removal. Here it is without.

markus3.png

Luvit ...! If it was my money - it would be in your pocket now. For me, it's clean, concise and simple - yet totally effective. I don't get Tesco' and I don't get KFC - I get tribute to the guy that saved the club.

markus4.png

I like it, think would look better white on red rather than red on white.

Here's my contribution :)

markusdraw3.jpg

I like the concept of this in that the Markus picture is great with the scarf and the famous wave. The colours look good too and there is good positioning of the club emblem. But I'd just have the name Markus, not on the slant, drop the halo, and again not on the slant, the word "Danke!" By doing it that way, the picture of Markus could be increased in size a bit.

Just so as some perspective can be put on this:

kfc_colonel_circle.jpg

and

kfc-coupons.png

and:

tesco-value.gif

Not trying to be funny, but it seems a recurring theme - so thought perhaps some logos might help either way. Personally - I don't see any problem at all - I dont get the KFC / Tesco thing at all.

Edited by Micky

lol yes i am wary of a repeat. but to be fair most of the efforts are waaay better than that statue ever was!

Right, I'm prepared to take the flak for this one. Mike, appreciate everything you're doing for this, but that statement alone tells us you are no creative director. Please take into consideration some of the more considered long form comments over the past two pages before making a decision. I'm sure you have unsurmountable talents elsewhere but in design they ain't old son.

It's a sign of the times that we are all worrying what everyone else will think of it. If Saints fans generally like it then what is the problem. It's the thought that counts in these things and that is plain to see.

Sadly true, but remember we're talking about football fans here and if there's a bunch of people you don't want to give even a smidgen of ammo to it's football fans. That's why, even a hint of comment regarding Tesco or KFC....from OUR OWN FORUM should mean that those designs be tossed aside. You can rest assured that if we get this wrong we will be ridiculed for it forever more.

We had a good design with the plain white on red, saying forever a Saint with Markus' face, now it's going downhill again with all sorts of **** being suggested.

Exactly.

then how could be taken as a liverpool or man u flag..?

The Northam had better stop singing 'Come on You Reds' then.

nb The that'll do attitude just won't cut it today. There are just too many great efforts out there. Take a look around you at the simplicity of good design today. They are simple, memorable, timeless, versatile and appropriate.

Reverse the colours and then we can close the thread and get the thing made!

It's not as simple as that though. I've just done a very quick 'n scruffy colour replace in Photoshop and you can see that it emphasises some of the wrong parts of his face:

markusred.png

Now if it was decided that this is definitely the way to go then I'm sure Scudamore wouldn't mind adjusting that ;)

One thing that I have noticed is that pretty much all of these have used fairly muted reds - slightly orange or pink in hue. The OS uses #d71921 (RGB - web designer remember :p) as its background colour and that's a stronger, slightly more Southampton-ish colour - to my eyes at least.

Par exemple:

markusdarker.png

markusreddarker.png

Just to give an idea of the colour difference you understand. Personally I like the design of him on the white but could understand if there were practicalities to consider if the flag was white.

As I said earlier, this could go round in an infinite number of circles. Might I suggest that we narrow this down to the current best design and 'perfect' just that one from there (in terms of font, copy and so on)?

Edited by ant

Right, I'm prepared to take the flak for this one. Mike, appreciate everything you're doing for this, but that statement alone tells us you are no creative director. Please take into consideration some of the more considered long form comments over the past two pages before making a decision. I'm sure you have unsurmountable talents elsewhere but in design they ain't old son.

without you actually knowing what designs I was referring to i find this a tad odd. A simple design, with a simple message and an iconic picture is what I am looking for, and we are nearly there with a couple of examples on this thread, which as i said previously are alot better than that statue ever was!

this is taken from eelpie's suggestion, obviously i need the pic of Markus sorting but dont know how to do that (help??)

new_test.gif

can anyone work their magic with the image of Markus on this one (to the same style as the liverpool examples) if so I have the high res version and will happily email it on so we can get this sorted