Flag issue - New design needed!

JustMike

ok, so went with the "forever a saint" option as posted on the facebook page and on another thread on here but having seen a mock up of it by the flag people, its not good!

So, we need something else, and fast. I'd still like to keep the pic of Markus waving but it needs more.

Anyone feeling inspired to have a go?

ok, so went with the "forever a saint" option as posted on the facebook page and on another thread on here but having seen a mock up of it by the flag people, its not good!

So, we need something else, and fast. I'd still like to keep the pic of Markus waving but it needs more.

Anyone feeling inspired to have a go?

what was wrong with it?

the pic on here looked ok but was made to look "flag like" as in wavey. When designed as fully open shall we say Markus looks lost, it needs something else or a new design altogether. I am trying to find the other thread with it on..

I think a white background with red trim running at the top and bottom would bring the picture and the text (in black) into sharper focus....also the text occupies way too much space. The picture of Markus should be brought in a little bit - seems a lttle bit meek where he currently is.

Markus has to be a black silhouette style image and not a photograph which will look garish and tacky. It is not rocket science there are hundreds of examples of football flags and I have not seen one with a life size photo of an individual on it.

I am sure the artistic amongst us can mock something worthy of all the marvellous donations.

Why rush it, let’s get it right, as once we have it we are stuck with it!

I think a white background with red trim running at the top and bottom would bring the picture and the text (in black) into sharper focus....also the text occupies way too much space. The picture of Markus should be brought in a little bit - seems a lttle bit meek where he currently is.

have added that to facebook page

Markus has to be a black silhouette style image and not a photograph which will look garish and tacky. It is not rocket science there are hundreds of examples of football flags and I have not seen one with a life size photo of an individual on it.

I am sure the artistic amongst us can mock something worthy of all the marvellous donations.

Why rush it, let’s get it right, as once we have it we are stuck with it!

Do you know of any footy flags that actually feature a person? I reckon they're pretty rare. I agree about the black silhouette - the fewer and simpler the colours, the better. On the other hand, you risk ML looking like Che bloody Guevara and going down that whole revolutionary iconography route (which is tacky). The silhouette would have to be done tastefully and not just look like the Michellin Man.

Edited by shurlock

What about a silhouette for Markus with the Saints scarf still in colour?

That would certainly soften it, though if you're going for the silhouette of Markus, probably better to capture more of his face -and less of his jacket etc.

I thought a full colour pic of Markus might be too "busy" - we should definitely go for the Che Guevara-style option (like the benitez one pictured in this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/19/liverpool-rafael-benitez-contract-transfers )

I agree. The Liverpool fans are the ones to follow as those guys know how to show off their greats and have many ideas. Just search 'Kop' in google for 100's of images. Here is their Paisley effort image-7-for-gallery-fans-enjoy-liverpool-v-real-madrid-champions-league-clash-707414334.jpg

If we get this wrong my fear is it will end up being a laughing matter just like the original Ted Bates statue.

249670_179970032061287_169139113144379_497359_3944358_n.jpg

How big will it be Mike?

The font on this is terrible, it needs to be much bigger and more powerful. In that Liverpool picture a few posts up, look at the "Success has many fathers" font, that looks brilliant.

And we surely can't have a full colour person, it'll need to be a silhouette type thing.

If you do Che, think the photo needs to be cropped and more emphasis given to his face - like alot of the avatars do on here already. Otherwise, it mighe be hard to distinguish ML through the silhouette. Like the scouse flags, ML should be in the centre of the shot, not on the side and as others have suggested, the font needs to be bolder (and if necessary shorter and terser -again like the scousers 'success has many fathers'), running perhaps at the top and the bottom of the flag (a bit like sfc uk fan's mock up but with the spell-check firmly on :) )

Edited by shurlock