What are you public sector lot up to on Weds then?

JackanorySFC

I just read that they're forecasting that the UK economy will shrink this quarter. Along with the rest of the world's economies.

Yes. Good news as it will keep the BOE base rate at .5% and makes my switch into corporate bonds (perfectly timed just after the standing down of Berlusconi when the FTSE was at 5700) looking a good bet for the next 3 years at least.

You do have to feel sorry for the public sector. They're being asked to:

Pay more into their pension

Work for longer

Get a smaller pension when they retire

....hold on a minute, isn't that exactly the same scenario as in the private sector?

What would you call a lower to mid pay public sector worker? My wife is on what i would consider a mid pay level and she will not be better off each month. She will also have to work until 68, if she doesnt then she will take a lower pension and therefore not be better off. Even if she does work to 68 she will be paying more a month to get a lower overall pension, not sure thats better off?

Just wondered where you got your information from to make such a sweeping statement?

I am in the private sector and fully supportbwhat these guys are doing. My wife and I have taken our pensions early whilst still working. We earn an additional 18k between us and we have 4 more pensions to pay out. I would like people to be as solvent as possible in their old age but this government seems determined to stop this. I do believe that some negotiations were agreed a fewvyears back and the govt is now saying that what was agreed then is unaffordable. What will stop them doing the same again if some one decides that whats been offered now is no longer affordable. The answer is of course, nothing.

I think the people striking are behaving like a bunch of spoilt babies, the private sector have taken a hit so should they.

Having said that I support their right to strike. The banks and big business threaten to move abroad to avoid paying what they should, it's only right that the public sector can use strikes in a similar way.

Work for longer

....hold on a minute, isn't that exactly the same scenario as in the private sector?

Some of us are being realtively shat on!!!!

Two options:

a) Not happy until we are all shat on,

or

b) Not happy until no one is shat on

I don't think anyone in the public sector has said they do not accept any change and nor have they they dipped out of doing their bit (the two year payfreeze will cost me £100,000 over my working life http://idseye.com/2011/06/02/private-sector-median-pay-rise-hits-3-as-public-sector-falls-to-zero/).

Having said that I support their right to strike. The banks and big business threaten to move abroad to avoid paying what they should, it's only right that the public sector can use strikes in a similar way.
In what way are people 'avoiding what they should pay' ? A significant %age of my salary is top sliced as the contribution to the LGPS scheme. This dispute is about the Government wanting to change the contracted agreements, yet again, to help cover off the cost of bailing out banks, and other aspects of their dogmatic approach to economic mis-management. Edited by badgerx16

Michael Gove is spot on when it comes to the Trades Union scum.

Here's what he says about some union leaders:

They want families to be inconvenienced.

They want mothers to give up a day's work, or pay for expensive childcare, because schools will be closed.

They want teachers and other public sector workers to lose a day's pay in the run-up to Christmas.

They want scenes of industrial strife on our TV screens; they want to make economic recovery harder; they want to provide a platform for confrontation just when we all need to pull together.

They want mothers to give up a day's work, or pay for expensive childcare, because schools will be closed.

They want teachers and other public sector workers to lose a day's pay in the run-up to Christmas.

They want scenes of industrial strife on our TV screens; they want to make economic recovery harder; they want to provide a platform for confrontation just when we all need to pull together.

I found his speech somewhat contradictory.

On one hand he was stating he didn't want any rancour or do/say anything to undermine the professional respect of teachers and the next he was insinuating they must all be lemmings and de facto hardliners as it is the teachers who are going on strike not the Union Leaders.

No teacher has to walk out on Wednesday if they don't want to, it is entirely a personal decision.

(And as I think VFTT has said befire, Gove is an affable chap, but he really is out of touch with what happens at the grass roots, bless him).

We have already established that Gove is an idiot and nobody, other than you, pays him any attention.

We have already established that Gove is an idiot and nobody, other than you, pays him any attention.

Not quite.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/election2010/results/constituency/e58.stm

Candidates

[TABLE=class: candidate-detail]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR=class: party-CON]

[TD] Michael Gove[/TD]

[TD]Conservative[/TD]

[TD=class: val]31,326[/TD]

[TD=class: val]57.6[/TD]

[TD=class: val]+6.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: party-LD]

[TD] Alan Hilliar[/TD]

[TD]Liberal Democrat[/TD]

[TD=class: val]14,037[/TD]

[TD=class: val]25.8[/TD]

[TD=class: val]-3.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: party-LAB]

[TD] Matt Willey[/TD]

[TD]Labour[/TD]

[TD=class: val]5,552[/TD]

[TD=class: val]10.2[/TD]

[TD=class: val]-6.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: party-UKIP]

[TD] Mark Stroud[/TD]

[TD]UK Independence Party[/TD]

[TD=class: val]3,432[/TD]

[TD=class: val]6.3[/TD]

[TD=class: val]+3.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: val][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Not quite.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/election2010/results/constituency/e58.stm

Candidates

[TABLE=class: candidate-detail]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR=class: party-CON]

[TD] Michael Gove[/TD]

[TD]Conservative[/TD]

[TD=class: val]31,326[/TD]

[TD=class: val]57.6[/TD]

[TD=class: val]+6.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: party-LD]

[TD] Alan Hilliar[/TD]

[TD]Liberal Democrat[/TD]

[TD=class: val]14,037[/TD]

[TD=class: val]25.8[/TD]

[TD=class: val]-3.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: party-LAB]

[TD] Matt Willey[/TD]

[TD]Labour[/TD]

[TD=class: val]5,552[/TD]

[TD=class: val]10.2[/TD]

[TD=class: val]-6.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: party-UKIP]

[TD] Mark Stroud[/TD]

[TD]UK Independence Party[/TD]

[TD=class: val]3,432[/TD]

[TD=class: val]6.3[/TD]

[TD=class: val]+3.3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

All that proves is that in this constituency the analogy of the donkey and the blue ribbon holds true !

I also note that he failed to gain the votes of 50% of his electorate, so by applying the new rules that seem apply to union ballots, he has no mandate to sit as the MP.

Edited by badgerx16

Work for longer

Absolutely, but never mind eh.

All that proves is that in this constituency the analogy of the donkey and the blue ribbon holds true !

I also note that he failed to gain the votes of 50% of his electorate, so by applying the new rules that seem apply to union ballots, he has no mandate to sit as the MP.

Badgers 1 trousers 0

Going to my low paid private sector job which has a next-to-nothing pension at the end of it and feeling grateful to have a job in these days of high unemployment. Also, feeling sorry for hard-working parents who may have to take a day of their precious 4-5 weeks holiday, unlike the striking teachers who have 13 weeks paid holiday.

To be fair, that would apply to most of them.

Going to my low paid private sector job which has a next-to-nothing pension at the end of it and feeling grateful to have a job in these days of high unemployment. Also, feeling sorry for hard-working parents who may have to take a day of their precious 4-5 weeks holiday, unlike the striking teachers who have 13 weeks paid holiday.

Hear hear!!

Whatever people say about public\private pensions, you would also not be happy if a scheme you were paying into suddenly increased the payout age and asked you to pay 3% more a month to get less at the end.

That is exactly what has been happening to pensions in the private sector, annuity rates are a pale shadow of what they once were.

That is exactly what has been happening to pensions in the private sector, annuity rates are a pale shadow of what they once were.

Absolutely, there is no security in the private sector and the so called 'greater wages and pension terms' are a myth for 85% of those who spend their careers there.

I am not alone in saying that I find it extremely difficult to feel sympathy for these strikers when people who conceeded more in the private sector to try and safeguard their own employment and families' futures then lost their jobs anyway.

There is bad and good in both types of industry but to cry foul in the face of reality for millions of people of the last few years is horribly vulgar.

One point which often seems to be missed is this. The pensions are now to be based on average earnings as opposed to final salary. This means most workers who stay at a similar grade will end up with a similar value of pension. The ones who lose out the most will be the high flyers i.e. Head teachers. But of course these people will be earning far more and therefore be able to 'top up' their savings etc.

Hear hear!!
no paid leave if you are self employed. In times gone by the public sector received less than the private sector as they had the good pension. Now it seems there is parity expectations as well as early retirement and a good pension.

I cant see how modern society can survive at this rate. The gov has borrowed to build schools hospitals and for the armed forces, pensions, welfare etc etc . Where do you all think the money is coming from to pay for it? We are acting like the head in the sand Pompey fans and not thinking it through.

We have for a decade spent more than we have earned as a nation and sooner or later we have to pay it back. Ok you can tax the banks a bit more, so they charge their customers a bit more, but that is not earning/saving the money we need to get back to some kind of sensible debt.

I had hoped that there would be some real action taken on finding the waste (not necessarily cutting jobs)and eliminating that as a way forward. There are a few on here who have pointed out their own experience in working in the public sector and the waste they have seen. How about getting the grass roots to point out the inefficiencies that the managers just dont seem to?

Im sure there are some who have sympathy for the public services but in these times it is hard to really fully support their campaign.

my partner works in a school and didn't want to strke but was told 'WE support our teachers', she now feels she has to sacrifice a days pay before Christmas for a stirke she has no say in

She should ignore them. I bet she is better off with the new pension deal. It's only the upper echelons that are worse off.

I would love to know who held a gun to the head of all these private sector and self employed workers? Everyone knows the potential benefits of certain jobs and people make a choice. If you choose to have a job with a crap pension or no holiday, that's up to you.

About 2 years ago I got a letter in the post telling me from now on my contributions were going up 2% and I would only receive 1/80th of my final salary, rather than 1/60th. They also closed the final salary scheme for new members.

No discussion, no negotiation.Just that's it,take it or leave it.But I understood that this was done out of necessity,not out of spite and was done to protect the scheme and the company.I'm amazed at the lack of understanding shown by the unions and some public sector workers regarding the situation we are in as a country. They couldn't care less about the cost to the country and to future taxpayers. This is not a strike about principle, or about poor work conditions, or any moral crusade. It is purely about Public sector workers, who benefitted from the boom, refusing to accept that they will have to contribute to getting us out of the bust.

I just hope the Govt have the balls to stand up to the unions, withdraw the last generous offer and then set about changing the law around strike action. Personally, I would like to see 1 day strikes outlawed. They are the cowards way out of protesting, an unpaid day off is no real hardship when you have a job with a steady income. They are just designed to inconvience the very people who are paying their pensions.

If you want to go on strike, then fine go on strike, but dont come back in until the dispute is over one way or the other. Let's see how many of the Brothers members will vote for weeks and weeks with no pay coming in.

I would love to know who held a gun to the head of all these private sector and self employed workers? Everyone knows the potential benefits of certain jobs and people make a choice. If you choose to have a job with a crap pension or no holiday, that's up to you.

With the jobs market as it is currently, it really is a case of take it or leave it in many cases! Claim benefits or work.... And as for holding a gun to their head... don't you worry, the trigger has had to be pulled recently for hundreds of thousands of people.

The public and private sectors should be operating in a state of symbiosis where the Private sector's taxes allows for the Public sector to exist and service the needs of the population at large (although in many economies the private sector also picks up the slack here too, albeit not completely.) As such there should be sympathy both ways, as things stand it very much feels as though the Public sector is being entirely self interested.

Edited by Colinjb

yep of course it is, the whole country should have just got jobs as teachers and civil servants.

About 2 years ago I got a letter in the post telling me from now on my contributions were going up 2% and I would only receive 1/80th of my final salary, rather than 1/60th. They also closed the final salary scheme for new members.

No discussion, no negotiation.Just that's it,take it or leave it.But I understood that this was done out of necessity,not out of spite and was done to protect the scheme and the company.I'm amazed at the lack of understanding shown by the unions and some public sector workers regarding the situation we are in as a country. They couldn't care less about the cost to the country and to future taxpayers. This is not a strike about principle, or about poor work conditions, or any moral crusade. It is purely about Public sector workers, who benefitted from the boom, refusing to accept that they will have to contribute to getting us out of the bust.

I just hope the Govt have the balls to stand up to the unions, withdraw the last generous offer and then set about changing the law around strike action. Personally, I would like to see 1 day strikes outlawed. They are the cowards way out of protesting, an unpaid day off is no real hardship when you have a job with a steady income. They are just designed to inconvience the very people who are paying their pensions.

If you want to go on strike, then fine go on strike, but dont come back in until the dispute is over one way or the other. Let's see how many of the Brothers members will vote for weeks and weeks with no pay coming in.

I like this post^^^

yep of course it is, the whole country should have just got jobs as teachers and civil servants.

Exactly, and the reason its not like that is because there are more then enough benefits to private sector work too. This one way envy and point scoring is nauseating.

Exactly, and the reason its not like that is because there are more then enough benefits to private sector work too. This one way envy and point scoring is nauseating.

It's hardly either it's more to do with people wanting to know why the public sector think they shouldn't have to make sacrfices like everyone else? If they want my support forcing me to shell at money I can't really afford on childcare just before christmas while depriving my children (who no doubt will have to work much latter in life for a lot less) of a days education, paid for out of my tax isn't really the right way to do it.

Trouble is she is only part time and needs all the overtime given to her, if she does that suddenly the overtime gets offered to other people who 'did support their teachers'

This was meant as reply to Dune "She should ignore them. I bet she is better off with the new pension deal. It's only the upper echelons that are worse off. " bloody modern technology lol

my partner works in a school and didn't want to strke but was told 'WE support our teachers', she now feels she has to sacrifice a days pay before Christmas for a stirke she has no say in

Good to see democracy and individual choice is alive and well in the teaching profession. Will be interesting to see how many stories of such coercion the media will bring to the public's attention as I've an inkling your partner's experience won't be an isolated case.

Edited by trousers

This was meant as reply to Dune "She should ignore them. I bet she is better off with the new pension deal. It's only the upper echelons that are worse off. " bloody modern technology lol

That sounds about right. Bullying Socialist types trying to impose their views on others. Nevermind the fact that your wife is likely better off with the new deal. It's all about them and they couldn't care less about others.

refusing to accept that they will have to contribute to getting us out of the bust.

I think the hundreds of thousands who have or who are losing their jobs will have contributed, as have those who have foregone pay rises over the last two years (effective pay cuts), whilst others have had pay cuts over and above a pay freeze.

It is disingenuous to suggest the public sector is refusing to contribute.

Trouble is she is only part time and needs all the overtime given to her, if she does that suddenly the overtime gets offered to other people who 'did support their teachers'

There is no way she should feel compelled to strike. I'm sure many people won't be striking, it is a personal decision one way or the other.

If she feels any pressure then she should speak to the senior management as it is simply not right.

It is disingenuous to suggest the public sector is refusing to contribute.

It is also entirely naive to expect sympathy over an act which is entirely destructive to those who may have already suffered terribly due to the reality which is now manifesting itself in the pension row.

There IS a lack of appreciation on both sides I feel. I know for certain though that a strike is absolutely not the right course of action, it can only inflame the situation, not generate a solution.

Says the man who said this in response to being informed that the UK economy would shrink in the next quarter:

Yes. Good news

GFY.

My brother, like thousands of other teachers, does many, many hours of unpaid overtime each week and effectively has to be both a teacher and a part-time policeman whilst in school. Don't begrudge him his holidays at all.