Favourite band of all-time?

kwsaint

They sound good. Quite edgy, contemporary and musically rich.

Ah, quiet.

You're doing what you normally do, sniping from the sidelines, and when pressed to express an opinion of your own, plump for possibly the safest musical artist in history from a "not getting mocked" point of view.

What modern bands do you like?

Ah, quiet.

You're doing what you normally do, sniping from the sidelines, and when pressed to express an opinion of your own, plump for possibly the safest musical artist in history from a "not getting mocked" point of view.

Not really. I like Hendrix partly because I got heavily into his music after seeing what turned out to be virtually his last concert, at Freshwater in 1970. For some while, I owned an extremely rare guitar with an iconic Hendrix connection which I sold to John Mayer. I now regret doing that...

Did.."The Suburbs"that is crap, pure and unadulterated crap, perhaps not the best example of their work.You could hear tripe like that in any music pub or village hall in the mid to late 70s.

The other two albums are great. Probably worth listening to them in the order of release.

Personally, I'm still giving the Suburbs the benefit of the doubt. I think that there are a few weak tracks on it.

Right now though, don't feel as good about it as I do the other two. Funeral has returned to being my favourite.

Not really. I like Hendrix partly because I got heavily into his music after seeing what turned out to be virtually his last concert, at Freshwater in 1970. For some while, I owned an extremely rare guitar with an iconic Hendrix connection which I sold to John Mayer. I now regret doing that...

Cool story bro.

Did.."The Suburbs"that is crap, pure and unadulterated crap, perhaps not the best example of their work.You could hear tripe like that in any music pub or village hall in the mid to late 70s.

It really isn't crap. Nowhere near as good as their other albums, but hardly crap. I'd reserve that adjective for the sort of guff that takes over the airwaves after the X Factor finishes. Having seen them live a few times I'd say they are a pretty damn good band.

My favourite 'proper' bands are:

Low

Wilco

Flaming Lips

Radiohead

My favourite artists are Global Communication, Burial, PJ Harvey, Aphex Twin, Autechre. Too many to mention really.

I can't really say I have one overall favourite though, changes all the time.

Surprised no one has mentioned...yet....Must be a muso, guitar playing certain age thing - completely so uncool, they are cool, those Canadian Prog Rockers Rush - Band of my teenage years - seen them live a few times and great shows.

Difficult to pick a favourite of all time though, too many diverse genres that I like.

Actually the four best bands are (not that you will have heard of them)

Head - From Bristol, mad as a box of frogs, all stupid names and in-jokes, but the songs were brilliant (everything from lounge crooning to sea shanties to punk) and were superb musicians. Fantastic live. Released three albums on virgin 89-92. All superb. Gareth Sager had previous in The Pop Group and later Rip Rig and Panic. Nick Sheppard Joined The Clash for the 'Cut The Crap' debacle, but don’t hold that against them.

Levitation - All the best bits of Pink Floyd but with better choruses and played with a searing punk intensity. Live they basically took your head off. Drummer Dave Francollini is the best in the world. Full Stop. Started by Terry Bickers when he got kicked out of the House of Love. Ended by Terry Bickers mid song on stage when he decided they had 'lost it'. This after just signing to a major and selling out everywhere. They were about to be huge. If you want to see what I mean the whole of their 1992 Manchester Academy show is on You Tube (good quality)

Orange Deluxe - Mod-Soul-Psychedelic-Punk bad formed from the ashes of 1992's big hopes 5:30. They were five years too soon, should have been the third contender with Oasis (who they **** on) or Blur (perfect touring partners). They released 2 albums on Dead Dead Good, and some fantastic singles like 'Love 45'Perfect pop soul punk. Any guitarists out there will love them - Copeskate and Paul Bassett make Richards and Wood look like a couple of armatures (almost) If you want to see what all the fuss wasn’t about, their Northampton Racehorse show is on You Tube (again great quality considering)

Dead! Dead! Dead! From Southampton. You should all be ashamed down there. More ideas in one song than most bands in their entire careers. Jerky tuneful inventive and melodic post punk sung by a crooning psychotic. Apart from when they were doing beautiful ballads like 'Masquerade'. Where are they now???

(Ditto Rival Joustas)

Oasis number one by miles.

Other mentions- The Jam, Madness, The Smiths, Arctic Monkeys (first two albums), Stone Roses. I'll thow the Libertines in there too (Pete D purely for his voice/lyrics, not the fact he's a UAF smackhead).

The Zucchinis...

There is NO contest as anyone around Salisbury would tell you

After that?

In no particular order

(seen Live)

Genesis - but I came to them after Gabriel left so they're totally uncool - even though they were fantastic live

Def Leppard

Human League

Blondie

Coldplay

The Rolling Stones

The Pretenders

Hell, I'd even put The Wombats up there having seen them twice

The Ramones (well I saw Marky live)

Hall & Oates - gutted I missed their reunion tour a few years back

The Damned

All strong contenders along with - surprisingly - Tom Jones - for re-inventing himself

But the best?

I really don't like any of his studio albums except (THAT) one but have seen him live 4 times and would see him 40 more

The Boss

Springsteen

Interesting

Nobody has mentioned that other biggest earning band of all time......

Abba

Lucky for you that youre in dubai. I would lamp you for that comment, having been forced to sit through the hideous "experience" that was mamma mia. I took a 40 minute ciggie break and i dont even smoke.

Lucky for you that youre in dubai. I would lamp you for that comment, having been forced to sit through the hideous "experience" that was mamma mia. I took a 40 minute ciggie break and i dont even smoke.

8)

Well I did say it was interesting that they had not been mentioned....

As in they hadn't made ANYONE's short list

You think YOU had problems... Future Mrs D_P & her pals watch the damned film at least once a month & all sing along

Luckily we have a great relationship - we negotiated so that's my beer night out

8)

Well I did say it was interesting that they had not been mentioned....

As in they hadn't made ANYONE's short list

You think YOU had problems... Future Mrs D_P & her pals watch the damned film at least once a month & all sing along

Luckily we have a great relationship - we negotiated so that's my beer night out

I would actually consider that to be sufficient grounds for divorce. That monstrosity masquerading as a film should be banned, and each and every actor that appeared in it ought to be publicly hanged (© J. clarkson)

If I have to pick just one as actual favourite, its got to be the Sex Pistols.

Honourable mentions to the Clash, Cure, Banshees, Specials, Joy Division, Feelgoods, and Pirates....(RIP Mick Green)

Saw the Pirates 4 or 5 times in London, great times, fantastic band, still have them on MP3 in the car - favourite track is Johnny B Goode. Great rock n roll/punk sound.

As you say RIP Mick Green.

No one has mentioned RUSH !!!!

Hang your heads.

Hank Williams sends tingles down my spine as does Alison Moyet but this really is an unanswerable question for anyone with an open mind to music and it's genres imo. I'll change my mind every half hour apart from The Beatles but they are surely a given, no?

Surprised no one has mentioned...yet....Must be a muso, guitar playing certain age thing - completely so uncool, they are cool, those Canadian Prog Rockers Rush - Band of my teenage years - seen them live a few times and great shows.

Difficult to pick a favourite of all time though, too many diverse genres that I like.

No one has mentioned RUSH !!!!

Hang your heads.

Hank Williams sends tingles down my spine as does Alison Moyet but this really is an unanswerable question for anyone with an open mind to music and it's genres imo. I'll change my mind every half hour apart from The Beatles but they are surely a given, no?

Someone has mentioned Rush :D

It really isn't crap. Nowhere near as good as their other albums, but hardly crap. I'd reserve that adjective for the sort of guff that takes over the airwaves after the X Factor finishes. Having seen them live a few times I'd say they are a pretty damn good band.

My favourite 'proper' bands are:

Low

Wilco

Flaming Lips

Radiohead

My favourite artists are Global Communication, Burial, PJ Harvey, Aphex Twin, Autechre. Too many to mention really.

I can't really say I have one overall favourite though, changes all the time.

Very good taste sir.

Another vote for Arcade Fire here, they are just phenomenal. Their studio work is great, but the songs just spring to life when they're played live. The band has a reputation as one of the best live acts ever for a reason, they will blow you away. I have had the pleasure of seeing them live 3 times now, and every time I come away from the gig just completely astounded that one band can be so utterly brilliant!

I fell in love with them properly during this moment, standing in a muddy field with my Dad at the age of 15 watching grown men crying around me! Just sublime.

And if you want a real crowd pleaser, you can't get any better than this:

Right, i'm going to listen to all 3 albums now.