New Kits 2012-13

bender

Do you like the new kit?  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new kit?

• Good lord yes!
    • Good heavens no!
    • Is this really all we have to talk about?

I love those kit threads going on every year :)

20 something pages of rage, speculation, nail biting and being upset about something you don't know or can't change anyway...

:)

Save your energy and start the rant when we know how the kit will look like !

;)

I'd love to get my hands on a Prem kit, but if I don't like it, I won't buy it. Simples...

Except thanks to this thread everyone knows what the home kit looks like, and we have a reasonable idea that the away is predominantly white. Why wait for it to be released to pass comment on it, when people have already seen pictures?

interesting , I'd forgotten about the cream 3rd shirt 96-97 - not a classic

"Ecru". The weird thing about that kit (which clearly piggybacked off Liverpool's Ecru shirt of a year or two before), was that we also had a white away kit at the same time. So we had a red/white home kit, white away (with broad turquoise sleeve stripe) and slightly off-white beige-ish 3rd shirt. Very strange as there was barely any difference in the teams we'd wear the 2nd and 3rd kits against.

Edited by The9

Why do we have to do something different?

Do you mean "we do things differently, why do we do that?" or "why do you think we have to do things differently for the sake of it?" ? Or are you specifically referring to changing the kit style ?

My basic point is that Cortese seems to like being different for the sake of it, as if there's a "better way", which usually involves large amounts of PR failure and annoying the fans for no reason, then when he realises there's a reason everyone else does things a certain way, the club falls in line with the majority. The photographer ban is another example of this.

I believe that the "logic" suggested of changing the kit basically because they're more likely to sell more shirts of a significantly different design because everyone already has a striped shirt is flawed. People will continue to buy shirts of differing striped designs without more or less dumping the stripes altogether.

I think it's probably a theory based on the enormous sales of the sash shirt, but that means they've completely misunderstood the reasons for the massive popularity of the shirt - it was a polo shirt lookalike, so people who don't buy shirts but do buy polos bought it. It was a "one-off" anniversary kit which people liked, as it pulled from the club's history and reflected the 125th Anniversary theme. It didn't have a sponsor on it, so people liked it for that reason too, and it came in a season in which we looked like we'd be successful so people bought into that early on as well.

None of those factors are relevant now. The red pinstripe kit has no historical basis - not Saints and never has been. It's not a polo/passable leisurewear style, it has a sponsor on it, and there's no more mileage in the idea of a "one off change" because they already did it 2 years ago. Plus we're not likely to win anything next season.

The one saving grace of course is that it's our first year back in the Prem, and there's a much bigger potential audience for the kit thanks to all the plastics' renewed interest and a new audience who'd forgotten about us - but as far as branding Saints globally as a team which will regularly wear stripes as part of their identity, it will be a disastrous failure in hooking "new" fans worldwide at the time when interest in the promoted clubs will be at it's highest. Add to that that three of the most globally successful teams are already red shirted, it's not a way of making ourselves stand out, even if Asia does love red kits.

Do you mean "we do things differently, why do we do that?" or "why do you think we have to do things differently for the sake of it?" ? Or are you specifically referring to changing the kit style ?

My basic point is that Cortese seems to like being different for the sake of it, as if there's a "better way", which usually involves large amounts of PR failure and annoying the fans for no reason, then when he realises there's a reason everyone else does things a certain way, the club falls in line with the majority. The photographer ban is another example of this.

I believe that the "logic" suggested of changing the kit basically because they're more likely to sell more shirts of a significantly different design because everyone already has a striped shirt is flawed. People will continue to buy shirts of differing striped designs without more or less dumping the stripes altogether.

I think it's probably a theory based on the enormous sales of the sash shirt, but that means they've completely misunderstood the reasons for the massive popularity of the shirt - it was a polo shirt lookalike, so people who don't buy shirts but do buy polos bought it. It was a "one-off" anniversary kit which people liked, as it pulled from the club's history and reflected the 125th Anniversary theme. It didn't have a sponsor on it, so people liked it for that reason too, and it came in a season in which we looked like we'd be successful so people bought into that early on as well.

None of those factors are relevant now. The red pinstripe kit has no historical basis - not Saints and never has been. It's not a polo/passable leisurewear style, it has a sponsor on it, and there's no more mileage in the idea of a "one off change" because they already did it 2 years ago. Plus we're not likely to win anything next season.

The one saving grace of course is that it's our first year back in the Prem, and there's a much bigger potential audience for the kit thanks to all the plastics' renewed interest and a new audience who'd forgotten about us - but as far as branding Saints globally as a team which will regularly wear stripes as part of their identity, it will be a disastrous failure in hooking "new" fans worldwide at the time when interest in the promoted clubs will be at it's highest. Add to that that three of the most globally successful teams are already red shirted, it's not a way of making ourselves stand out, even if Asia does love red kits.

Not true that none of the marketing factors are relevant now. We could have gone the Polo/history route again with the quarters, though we are almost certainly contractually constrained about the sponsor logo and of course there is no anniversary. On the other hand, I would have liked our first season back in the PL to be marked with something a bit more significant and memorable than a retro 1980s Liverpool or Forest kit.

Lets face it, NC played a masterstroke with the 125th kit

You want to try and sell last season's kit for £45 again?

You're like an apprentice candidate, 'yeah don't worry about effort and quality, they'll buy any old sh1te'.

It works to a certain point - the point being when someone who bought the crap the year before decides if they want to buy something likely to be the same crap again.

I don't think anyone can complain about the quality of the Umbro kits within the parameters of football shirts generally - some of the later Saints Apparel ones had one or two "teething troubles" though (nose-breaker collar anyone ?).

Not true that none of the marketing factors are relevant now. We could have gone the Polo/history route again with the quarters, though we are almost certainly contractually constrained about the sponsor logo and of course there is no anniversary. On the other hand, I would have liked our first season back in the PL to be marked with something a bit more significant and memorable than a retro 1980s Liverpool or Forest kit.

Lets face it, NC played a masterstroke with the 125th kit

None of the marketing factors are relevant because we don't have a polo shirt style with quarters. If we did have, fair enough, it might sell as a leisurewear item to a broader audience. But literally the only selling points for the new shirt is that it's a new shirt and Saints are in the Premier League so more people might be interested in buying it compared to when we were in League One.

It's a missed opportunity, no matter how much people do or don't buy into the global marketing element.

Of course, they might shift more of these in the UK than the "best selling" sash, but I'd be shocked if they do. The sash shirt is the match-wear leisure shirt of choice for pretty much anyone over the age of 35, many of whom simply don't usually buy football shirts.

Just occurred to me the other factor in the club thinking that "stripes don't sell" could be the relatively poor sales of this season's shirt compared to the sash - Cortese saw the sash kit break records, and then last season was back to "normal", except that it was only the second time ever that Saints had changed home shirt in two successive seasons (the first time being the "nose breaker" final Friends Provident shirt of the first Championship season, and even then the shorts and socks lasted for 3 years when the first flybe kit came in).

The "new kit every year" factor must be responsible for some decreasing sales.

Seriously, do you do any work? You are paid by the taxpayer, yet always posting on here??

I'm a very busy man. You'll note the 3 hour gap between posts today and lunchtime for the later ones, and the nine and a half hour gap here. Not that it's any of your concern, of course.

Edited by The9

The new Blackburn Umbro shirt shows the tape effect we'll probably have on the back of the shirt, and the Umbro socks mentioned previously in the same style that Sweden have, so they're clearly one of the options available to English sides :

BlackburnHome.jpg

blackburn-rovers-12-13-umbro-home-football-shirt-c.jpg

The9 is that the v collar template on ours or different?

It doesn't match the bit of collar I've seen. It's a plain single colour v at the front, no contrast colour. Only Lille have released a plain v that looks like it could be the same so far, and their home kit has the same collar as Man City's last season.

See here : http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?37736-New-Kit&p=1387041#post1387041

So with only 9 days to go now. Could you please post the design on here that you believe is a close match to the final design again?

I don't have a "design on here that believe is a close match to the final design". Itchen_Dan's is pretty close, that's good enough isn't it ?

Is this our new kit/new signing?

stoke-city-home-kit-20092.jpg

No, it's a Stoke le coq sportif kit from about 3 years ago, which you know, because the jpeg is called "stoke-city-home-kit-20092"

Edited by The9