Le Tissier Voices his concerns...

wheels

Lol with those 2 in the team we'll bring the average age up to about 21 :p

Maybe problems with age soon..as Terry Paine is on his way soon re his book?

He will be required on the right for crosses for Ron...

Wait John Sydenham is coming back from oZ for the left..by xmas the average age will be 100..then again we might get some goals and win some games. You have to have a larf with the good old boys.

Considering we never seem to be in the lead I find it difficult that we should be shutting up shop.

Our main problem is a lack of goals.

Of course we are going to struggle with youngsters I quite agree with MLT

I doubt if the board would disagree with his sentiments

Edited by John B

I don't really see that age in itself is a problem - just look at what Arsenal U12's did to Wigan. Nor can I see that we have any problem closing out games as one of the good things about a young squad is that they are likely to be that little bit fitter. The problem is a lack of quality, and money of course. Drafting in more substandard carthorses ala Perry/Wotton would only make things worse IMHO.

I don't really see that age in itself is a problem - just look at what Arsenal U12's did to Wigan. Nor can I see that we have any problem closing out games as one of the good things about a young squad is that they are likely to be that little bit fitter. The problem is a lack of quality, and money of course. Drafting in more substandard carthorses ala Perry/Wotton would only make things worse IMHO.

Arsenals young stars may be good for a one off game against a very average Wigan side, but can you imagine them playing a full season in the Prem? Teams like Bolton and Stoke would kick the living crap out of them. I doubt they'd finish midtable.

Age is always going to be an issue for these guys and mistakes are being made through lack of experience. If we are to have any chance this season, we are going to need Wotton, Perry, Davis, Skacel and Euell to ALL play a part in the team. With the exception of Lallana, I felt the last 4 players were our best on Saturday. I never felt they were about to make a mistake and drop us in it.

I know both ours and Arsenal's academies are good, but comparing us to their under 12's can't be too good for our first team morale.

I think you'll find we've had more points and less goals conceeded when Perry plays, than when he doesn't.

And the fact remains, in this division, you need a few older players to help you out.

I always point to Sheffield United's promotion a few years ago. It was our first season in the CCC. How many of us would have had the likes of Unsworth or Shipperley in the team. I reckon none. But they were good enough to send them up.

I really think the role in the club that some older heads bring is over looked on here. A combination of 'quality' kids and experienced senior pros is the most effective way up from CCC land.

I think you'll find we've had more points and less goals conceeded when Perry plays, than when he doesn't.

And the fact remains, in this division, you need a few older players to help you out.

I always point to Sheffield United's promotion a few years ago. It was our first season in the CCC. How many of us would have had the likes of Unsworth or Shipperley in the team. I reckon none. But they were good enough to send them up.

I really think the role in the club that some older heads bring is over looked on here. A combination of 'quality' kids and experienced senior pros is the most effective way up from CCC land.

Playing raw, average kids (Lallana and Drew apart) is the way out of the CCC at the other end, the end that means Aldershot at home next year.

Same as Hull last season , Windass and Barmby.

the puriests on here would have kittens if we signed players like that

I can't help but feel that some people can't help but read things into this that aren't there:

1. "It's an incredibly young squad, and it's going to be a problem for us, I think."

2. "You need a few old heads just to help you close out games."

3. "Sometimes you need to know when to just shut up shop. It's going to be difficult for them if they continue to have eight or nine young lads in the team."

4. "It could end up being a very tough season."

All perfectly acceptable points. And being placed in 21st in the table it's pretty obvious it's going to be a tough season...

No mention of the chairman. No mentrion of backing him. No mention of disagreeing with him. Just talking about football at Saints...

And i can't help think that i've heard Matt already say most of this...

In fact i've already heard people say alot worse and they're still welcome in the ground...

Jimmy Case for example...

Arsenals young stars may be good for a one off game against a very average Wigan side, but can you imagine them playing a full season in the Prem? Teams like Bolton and Stoke would kick the living crap out of them. I doubt they'd finish midtable.

Age is always going to be an issue for these guys and mistakes are being made through lack of experience. If we are to have any chance this season, we are going to need Wotton, Perry, Davis, Skacel and Euell to ALL play a part in the team. With the exception of Lallana, I felt the last 4 players were our best on Saturday. I never felt they were about to make a mistake and drop us in it.

I take your point, I just don't see that it's Wotton, Davis or Skacel or God help us Euell's age that makes them better players than others. Players can make mistakes whatever their age, and you don't have to be over twenty to know that it's sometimes a good idea to smack it into touch.

Young players may be less developed than older players and therefore vulnerable to the physical game. I haven't noticed our team getting kicked of the park this season though - and that's in the supposedly physical Championship.

MLT has traditionally backed Rupert so this is a big blow to Rupert's slim hopes of saving his status quo. About time the Echo (awful rag) and Radio Solent turned up the heat on Wilde and Lowe as well.

I have been at a few dinners where Matt has been the after dinner speaker and he is far from Wuperts greatest fan in fact he confirmed what the vast majority know that Wupert is a nob.

In fact whenever I have heard him speak he is refreshling honest and genuinely loves the club I agree with him we could use 1 or 2 old heads in the team Jason Euell has made a difference when he has played we do need some experience

its not about age its about lack of quality. Gobern, Wotton, Pekard, Smith, Thompson, Robertson. Different ages but all very average indeed.

What we need is better players playign every week. A fully fit Svensson and Euell for starters.

I take your point, I just don't see that it's Wotton, Davis or Skacel or God help us Euell's age that makes them better players than others. Players can make mistakes whatever their age, and you don't have to be over twenty to know that it's sometimes a good idea to smack it into touch.

Young players may be less developed than older players and therefore vulnerable to the physical game. I haven't noticed our team getting kicked of the park this season though - and that's in the supposedly physical Championship.

Mistakes. I used to work with a guy who said as you get more experienced, you don't make fewer mistakes, but you do recognise and correct them quicker.

I think that is applicable here. When a move goes wrong and we give away possesion, we need experienced players who will react quickly and organise the team to prevent us conceding.

I find it a great shame that the great man does not have a more direct role within the club. Anyone know if that is his personal choice, or has never had the offer?

I think he was offered something just after RL went first time but he earns far more on Sports Saturday compared to what was being offered!!

Mistakes. I used to work with a guy who said as you get more experienced, you don't make fewer mistakes, but you do recognise and correct them quicker.

I think that is applicable here. When a move goes wrong and we give away possesion, we need experienced players who will react quickly and organise the team to prevent us conceding.

I think you are partly right, I think the more experienced players see the dangers or the opportunities earlier and the potential mistakes of others and react to them.

We are being killed at the moment on three fronts. In attack the players not immediately involved on the ball are not making the effort to get into the box on the off chance.

Secondly as well as being guilty of too much ball watching, our players again not immediately involved in defending the ball are not making the effort to get goalside of the opponents runners trying to get into the box.

Thirdly the markers are not getting tight enough and lay off, making this even worse is the cover being too loose, probably caused by the midfielders not getting goalside.

Too many of our players are standing watching or just ambling back.

Why oh why can nobody at that bloody club see that its all very well playing youngsters BUT you need an experienced, older defence !!

Play the kids in midfield and upfront by all means but have a solid, experienced back four who are a bit wiser to what attacking teams are about than our current defence.

To call them naieve is an understatement, as Dave Bassett commented teams will rub their hands playing us cos the defence is so young and vulnerable.

I cant remember seeing a defender of Lancashire's age who is so bloody slow.

Why do you think he gets booked or sent off so much ? Its cos his tackling is about a second or two late every time and thats because he is slow in mind and body.

Play Perry and get a partner for him who has been around and knows the game, plus a couple of experienced full backs (or one at a push cos Skacel is adequate, altho wasted, there)

I think you are partly right, I think the more experienced players see the dangers or the opportunities earlier and the potential mistakes of others and react to them.

We are being killed at the moment on three fronts. In attack the players not immediately involved on the ball are not making the effort to get into the box on the off chance.

Secondly as well as being guilty of too much ball watching, our players again not immediately involved in defending the ball are not making the effort to get goalside of the opponents runners trying to get into the box.

Thirdly the markers are not getting tight enough and lay off, making this even worse is the cover being too loose, probably caused by the midfielders not getting goalside.

Too many of our players are standing watching or just ambling back.

You have picked up on some of the problems..Surely the coach JP will soon.

May I respectfully request that you get down to Staplewood and have a word in his ear..A little help may go a long way..Please, before it is too late.

I was thinking the very same on Saturday at times. Not just of Lancashire but of the whole team. We had a team with an average age of around 20, yet there was no pace.

Big John McGrath had no pace but what a player

But I take your point

I thought England had a lot of pace last night which contributed to the win.

Edited by John B

good shout but nothing we didnt already know.shame he didnt suggest a better way.

Does he have to? What do we have a board and a manager for then? What the bloody hell do we pay them for? Presumably by saying that what Matty said was a good shout, you agree with it. You, me, Uncle Tom Cobbly and all.

Everybody but this totally inept board and their naive manager and their policy of playing too many naive youngsters.

The better way is self-evident. Sack the board who made this lunatic decision, get in a decent manager experienced in English football and getting out of this division, play a balanced blend of youngsters and older more experienced players. Simple.