Gazza - the comedy keeper

Thedelldays

Get back in the kitchen Sailor Boy.

Gazza is the best of what we have. Kelv is an abomination at this level and Boruc is an embarrassing, fat, unprofessional mess.

The truth is Kelvin would not have allowed the free kick in.

Kelvin's distribution is worse and neither of them come off their line.

So logic says we would have won 1-0 with Kelvin in goal on Wednesday.

That said, none of them are top class.

In January we need to buy Brad Friedel or Shay Given.

Keepers do not need to be young - keepers need to keep the ball out of the net and organise the defence.

Get back in the kitchen Sailor Boy.

Gazza is the best of what we have. Kelv is an abomination at this level and Boruc is an embarrassing, fat, unprofessional mess.

Keepers do not need to be young - keepers need to keep the ball out of the net and organise the defence.

Yet you state categorically that NA, a former goalkeeper, is wrong. Perhaps, as he sees all three GKs in training every week, he is making team selections based on experience and observation. It would be stupid to keep dropping the keeper because of a perceived mistake, we'd be in a permanent state of rotating between the 3.

I didn't I stated it is opinion re read it

Yet you state categorically that NA, a former goalkeeper, is wrong. Perhaps, as he sees all three GKs in training every week, he is making team selections based on experience and observation. It would be stupid to keep dropping the keeper because of a perceived mistake, we'd be in a permanent state of rotating between the 3.

I didn't I stated it is opinion re read it

I always laugh at this sort of logic.

Logic doesn't dictate that at all. Logic dictates that how do we know that Davis would have kept it out, that he wouldn't have made another error that cost us, that the header Gazza saved Kelvin might not have got too, that with his kicking being worse he might have given the ball away which led to another chance which they may have scored from. Logic certainly does not dicatate that if we'd have had a different keeper in goal we would have won.

Logic doesn't dictate that at all. Logic dictates that how do we know that Davis would have kept it out, that he wouldn't have made another error that cost us, that the header Gazza saved Kelvin might not have got too, that with his kicking being worse he might have given the ball away which led to another chance which they may have scored from. Logic certainly does not dicatate that if we'd have had a different keeper in goal we would have won.

Yes, for all we know, Paulo's gaff may have saved us from conceding 5 second half goals.

Based on that I make him MoM!

Yes, for all we know, Paulo's gaff may have saved us from conceding 5 second half goals.

What was it Wenger said "everyone thinks they've got the prettiest wife". I cant believe we have supporters who are so one eyed they cant see we have the worst Keeper in the League. I would swap him with anyone and most sides reserve keepers. Contrast his performance with Norwich's second choice on Weds. We even have people comparing him to Reina. Please dont mention that near Anfield tomorrow, you'll only embarress yourselves.

What was it Wenger said "everyone thinks they've got the prettiest wife". I cant believe we have supporters who are so one eyed they cant see we have the worst Keeper in the League. I would swap him with anyone and most sides reserve keepers. Contrast his performance with Norwich's second choice on Weds. We even have people comparing him to Reina. Please dont mention that near Anfield tomorrow, you'll only embarress yourselves.

We even have people comparing him to Reina. Please dont mention that near Anfield tomorrow, you'll only embarress yourselves.

The OPTA stats published by LFC today show that Reina concedes goals more often (per minutes played) than Gazzaniga this season. Just sayin' like...

We even have people comparing him to Reina. Please dont mention that near Anfield tomorrow, you'll only embarress yourselves.

The OPTA stats published by LFC today show that Reina concedes goals more often (per minutes played) than Gazzaniga this season. Just sayin' like...

Feel safer with Kelvin in the goal that's for sure. And am sure the CBs do. Lost count of the number of times Fonte/Yoshida have had to slash the ball clear when Gazza should have come to collect. There's little or no communication, one thing you can't fault Kelvin for.

Feel safer with Kelvin in the goal that's for sure. And am sure the CBs do. Lost count of the number of times Fonte/Yoshida have had to slash the ball clear when Gazza should have come to collect. There's little or no communication, one thing you can't fault Kelvin for.

Nice facious response. The point being that there is absolutely no way of knowing that we'd have won 1-0 if Davis had been in goal, it's not like he's a reliable proven, non error prone keeper is it. He might well have made another gaff that lead to a goal. The fact is none of our three goalkeepers are good enough. Gazza might well be one day, Boruc might be if he can lose about 5 stone, Davis just isnt.

Nice facious response. The point being that there is absolutely no way of knowing that we'd have won 1-0 if Davis had been in goal, it's not like he's a reliable proven, non error prone keeper is it. He might well have made another gaff that lead to a goal. The fact is none of our three goalkeepers are good enough. Gazza might well be one day, Boruc might be if he can lose about 5 stone, Davis just isnt.

Like this you mean? You honestly couldn't make it up!

Like this you mean? You honestly couldn't make it up!

Hmm, not sure I agree. Kelvin's main source of communication seems to be shouting "AWAY!!" when the ball comes anywhere near him in the air, he almost never claims crosses. kelvin's distribution is utterly awful; about on a par with Gazza's below-par performance on Wednesday.

Hmm, not sure I agree. Kelvin's main source of communication seems to be shouting "AWAY!!" when the ball comes anywhere near him in the air, he almost never claims crosses. kelvin's distribution is utterly awful; about on a par with Gazza's below-par performance on Wednesday.

Gazzaniga will likely keep his place against Liverpool.

Adkins rates him very highly and expects him to be a top keeper. He needs experience and what better way than to play in the Premier. He has made mistakes but owns up to them and at present his confidence is high.

their are lots of better ways for an inexperienced keeper to learn his trade but dumping him straight in the premiership is going to destroy his confidence and ours. Why do you think top clubs have experience in goal and not a relative novice?

Gazzaniga will likely keep his place against Liverpool.

Adkins rates him very highly and expects him to be a top keeper. He needs experience and what better way than to play in the Premier. He has made mistakes but owns up to them and at present his confidence is high.

their are lots of better ways for an inexperienced keeper to learn his trade but dumping him straight in the premiership is going to destroy his confidence and ours. Why do you think top clubs have experience in goal and not a relative novice?

If Gazzinga plays today i hope he does well. I wouldn't play him but Im not the manager whose job is on the line. if Gazzinga plays like he did after the goal the other night then i would not be surprised if we get hammered, he was shot and we were fortunate our defence kept the Norwich attacks at bay. Big call today

Kelvin's the comedy keeper, was rubbish last time in the top flight, and didn't look any better this time. At least Gazza can improve.

Problem is he isn't improving despite playing more games than the other two and it's too much to ask of the young lad to serve his apprenticeship chucked in the deep end of the premiership it is a crazy idea and one that will cost us!

Laughable post to be honest.

Exactly what evidence do you base this comment on "conveniently forgetting that our other two keepers shouldn't be anywhere near the first team either." Boruc has had two games, the first one after not playing for 6 months he didn't do well in and he made mistakes but then so did several defenders so he hardly cost us the points, we lost 4-1. The second he conceded 2 goals neither of which he could have done much about.

How does that make him a "complete liabilities"

If anyone has been a complete liability it's Gazzaniga, even in the clean sheet against Newcastle he almost gave him a goal by holding onto a kick too long and then sending it straight at Ba, at QPR he got away with it becuase they were awful and the rest of the team did so much better, and against Swansea and Norwich he directly cost us 2 points.

But yeh of course Boruc is complete liability from his one bad game comapred to Gazzanigas four :rolleyes: What are you on?

And now appratenly he has an attitude problem as well, your deluded comments based on two games not being enough you make something up as well.

Gazzaniga should have bene dropped after the QPR game simple as that.

No need for the digs son, you think Boruc is the answer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eToC-xY9_CY

Letting balls bounce in his 6 yard box? You don't think he could have done better for Spurs second? when he was

caught in no man's land and got his angles so wrong that Defoe's shot didn't even head anywhere near the corner of the net?

I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread, our defence has only conceded 5 in our last 5 games since Gazza

has come into the side (it was 11 in the 4 games before that) and Gazza has gifted some of those himself. Yes, he

needs to eliminate those mistakes and fast. No one is saying otherwise, and if we had a reliable replacement on the

bench he should be dropped, but from what we've seen we don't.

But the defence looks as settled as it's ever been and I don't think bringing in someone with Boruc's personality

(see his previous antics at Celtic and being the subject of an internal disciplinary investigation in only his 2nd game

here) will do any good, especially when his previous 2 performances have been no better than Gazzaniga generally IMO.

Boruc should be our number one easily, but I'm afraid there's a good reason why he's not even making the bench at the moment.

No one knows the precise story but you don't have to have been a D.I. for 20 years to know it isn't just down to him being a few pounds overweight, and personally I'd trust NA's judgement over yours any day of the week.

I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread, our defence has only conceded 5 in our last 5 games since Gazza

has come into the side (it was 11 in the 4 games before that) and Gazza has gifted some of those himself.

the opposition has been a much lower standard, the team has played better and we have defended better. None of these things have anything to do with Gazza so the less goals per game stats are worthless. The fact remains he has no confidence whatsoever in himself to come out for anything. Errors happen to all keepers. I can accept that, but he MUST get his confidence back so that he come out to the edge of his area or beyond to sweep. Nothing today makes me think he has got his confidence back to do that. Perhaps a long run in the side will get that back. I hope it doesn't take a long time though.

Just wondering from today's stats, Liverpool had 24 shots, 11 on target. I guess one of those was the goal, so did Gazza have 9 or 10 saves to make (hitting the woodwork does not count as on target)? Because in previous matches he has actually had precious little to do apart from the goals which has been a testament to our better defensive organisation - one terrific save against Newcastle but hardly any other shots on target. My concern with Gazza has mainly been about whether he can actually make saves because there has been little evidence so far.

Just wondering from today's stats, Liverpool had 24 shots, 11 on target. I guess one of those was the goal, so did Gazza have 9 or 10 saves to make (hitting the woodwork does not count as on target)? Because in previous matches he has actually had precious little to do apart from the goals which has been a testament to our better defensive organisation - one terrific save against Newcastle but hardly any other shots on target. My concern with Gazza has mainly been about whether he can actually make saves because there has been little evidence so far.

Liverpool didn't really test him- quite a few saves you would have expected him to take cleanly or parry strongly but which he let squirt out -the kind of stuff kelvin was doing this time last season and getting punished for.

Edited by shurlock

You don't rate Friedel then...a US foreign import?

.on the contrary......he's ideal, has been in England for " a few years " ....... and has lots of experience in the Prem.

** I was thinking of "them" finding some international keeper from a third world nation who can't speak English....and has never seen van Persie or Defoe in action on a good day!

.on the contrary......he's ideal, has been in England for " a few years " ....... and has lots of experience in the Prem.

** I was thinking of "them" finding some international keeper from a third world nation who can't speak English....and has never seen van Persie or Defoe in action on a good day!

keeper with the most saves is Al Habsi.....that well know footballing nation Oman!!