Gazza - the comedy keeper

Thedelldays

Wasn't just the goal, that's the tip of the iceberg. It's the inability and/or unwillingness to come off his line and command the box at crosses. It was getting so bad second half that he wasnt even coming to pick up routine, over hit through balls, even though he was unchallenged.

Out of his depth at the moment and it's costing us dearly.

Exactly this. Forget the goal, the lad ain't good enough yet. I fully expect Davis or Boruc to play at Liverpool.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1084591-saintsfc-boss-nigel-adkins-talks-to-krsitemple-after-1-1-draw-with-norwich

But better to watch it on Saints Player to see his facial expressions when asked about it. I think we'll see a change on Saturday.

Cheers, most telling comment was when he was talking about being supportive especially of young players but three comes a point where you have to look at it.

Can't believe people on here calling for Gazza out already, all keepers make errors. Begovic made a huge error to essentially gift Newcastle a goal earlier today, are the Stoke fans calling for him to be dropped? Doubtful.

Krul made alot of mistakes against us on Sunday, are the Newcastle fans calling for him to be dropped? Doubtful.

Kelvin is an absolute abomination at this level, Boruc is unproven (and may of burnt his bridges here already) Gazza has done pretty well so far I would say, he made 2 vital saves when we were 1 and then 2-0 up against Newcastle on Sunday and the error against QPR didn't cost us the win in that game so who cares?

The error against Swansea was the only error I can think of that has actually cost us points as such, and that was equally Yoshida's fault for mis-controlling the ball from Gazza

Get off his back, and get behind him you bunch of moaning, miserable smeg-heads.

Time for Artur Boruc to play!

Paulo Gazzaniga should have been loaned to a Championship team in the loan window for experience rather than keep costing us in the Premier League.

He was going to be but it feel through due to the Boruc incident. I hope the precious helmets that complained about Boruc are pleased with themselves.

Can't believe people on here calling for Gazza out already, all keepers make errors. Begovic made a huge error to essentially gift Newcastle a goal earlier today, are the Stoke fans calling for him to be dropped? Doubtful.

Krul made alot of mistakes against us on Sunday, are the Newcastle fans calling for him to be dropped? Doubtful.

Kelvin is an absolute abomination at this level, Boruc is unproven (and may of burnt his bridges here already) Gazza has done pretty well so far I would say, he made 2 vital saves when we were 1 and then 2-0 up against Newcastle on Sunday and the error against QPR didn't cost us the win in that game so who cares?

The error against Swansea was the only error I can think of that has actually cost us points as such, and that was equally Yoshida's fault for mis-controlling the ball from Gazza

Get off his back, and get behind him you bunch of moaning, miserable smeg-heads.

He's cost us a goal in three of the last 4 games FFS!

/thread

I really hope Boruc gets fit. I couldn't beleive we managed to sign him, but his physical and mental rustiness were part of the bargain. You don't get a 100% fit keeper of his stature just waiting in the wings to randomly to sign for a club. Get him on the running machine, and tell the next tosspiece to cry in to their cornflakes once the whhhhhhaaaaambulance arrives next time they see a bottle move sideways.

The one thing I would say here is that its hardly Gazzaniga's fault that he at 20 years of age is being picked to start in the position of greatest responsibility for a team in the toughest league in the world.

When he was brought here? What was on offer? I'd be very surprised if he was told from the start that he could expect to feature much.

I think the plan originally was to get Boruc in, have Davis as number 2 and loan Gazza (who clearly has potential - that save against Newcastle was one of the best I've ever seen in live football -TV didn't do it justice at all) to a Hull/Bristol City/Charlton or whoever to get him some experience (still 2 leagues higher than where he had last played)

I am getting frustrated at the slating that he has received here. I know a lot of posters it seems were delighted when he screwed up tonight just to prove their point, especially after his save against Newcastle spoilt their chance to spend their Sunday evening *****ing and moaning about him.

Look, point is that the buck stops with Adkins on this issue. This should have been sorted in the summer, we had £30 c*nting million to spend and considering we blew 4m of that on a striker that Adkins obviously doesn't want and who doesn't fit into the system we could have signed a half-decent experienced keeper.

If you put your 8 year old son in charge of the evenings cooking its hardly his fault when the house goes up in flames. Know what I mean?

The one thing I would say here is that its hardly Gazzaniga's fault that he at 20 years of age is being picked to start in the position of greatest responsibility for a team in the toughest league in the world.

When he was brought here? What was on offer? I'd be very surprised if he was told from the start that he could expect to feature much.

I think the plan originally was to get Boruc in, have Davis as number 2 and loan Gazza (who clearly has potential - that save against Newcastle was one of the best I've ever seen in live football -TV didn't do it justice at all) to a Hull/Bristol City/Charlton or whoever to get him some experience (still 2 leagues higher than where he had last played)

I am getting frustrated at the slating that he has received here. I know a lot of posters it seems were delighted when he screwed up tonight just to prove their point, especially after his save against Newcastle spoilt their chance to spend their Sunday evening *****ing and moaning about him.

Look, point is that the buck stops with Adkins on this issue. This should have been sorted in the summer, we had £30 c*nting million to spend and considering we blew 4m of that on a striker that Adkins obviously doesn't want and who doesn't fit into the system we could have signed a half-decent experienced keeper.

If you put your 8 year old son in charge of the evenings cooking its hardly his fault when the house goes up in flames. Know what I mean?

Yeah, completely agree. comes back yet again to our questionable transfer policy in the summer, but we probably don't need to go over all that yet again.

/thread

He's cost us a goal in three of the last 4 games FFS!

Against Swansea it was 1/2 and 1/2 with Yoshida. Yoshida should have taken it on his chest and ****ted it away into row Z in the Itchen.

Against QPR Clyne didn't close down the cross and neither Fonte nor Yoshida got anywhere near Hoilett.

Tonight we had a whole half of football to score one single goal that would have won us the game.

Is Gazzaniga good enough for this level (yet)? No, I don't think so. We agree on that. Is it all his fault? Not at all. No way. This is scapegoating in the extreme.

I largely agree with this, except I think it was our plan to keep Kelvin as no1 for this season, which was a mad decision as he was clearly not up to the Premier League. Then when that went tits up we panicked and got Boruc in as it was always too early for Gazza, which should have worked out but it turns out Boruc is completely unfit.

At least tonight's game shows we can compete, we just need to stay in touch till Jan and then we can sort out this huge weakness.

Certainly think it's out of order to call Gazza a clown, 20 is very young for a goalkeeper and he shouldn't be in this position.

Get back in the kitchen Sailor Boy.

Gazza is the best of what we have. Kelv is an abomination at this level and Boruc is an embarrassing, fat, unprofessional mess.

To my eye Gazza has NOT demonstrated himself a better keeper than KD. His save on Saturday has been equalled by many of Kelvin's saves - so - you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree - strongly.

To my eye Gazza has NOT demonstrated himself a better keeper than KD. His save on Saturday has been equalled by many of Kelvin's saves - so - you are entitled to your opinion but I disagree - strongly.

Kelvin has made some great saves for us but I can't think of any that were as good as Gazza's save vs Newcastle.

What's hilarious is that Boruc has played what 2 games? He had a poor first game back against West Ham (and so did the whole defence BTW) and then played against Spurs did ok couldn;t have done much with the goals, gets dropped because some idiotic fans decided to get on his back.

He's now been completely written off by a lot of people, yet Gazzaniga has made howlers pretty much every game, looked overal poor and has directly cost us points. He's also played behind a much improved defence as well and still is messing up.

How the hell is he getting the benefit of the doubt but Boruc who hadn't played for 6 months gets written off after 2 game?

What's hilarious is that Boruc has played what 2 games? He had a poor first game back against West Ham (and so did the whole defence BTW) and then played against Spurs did ok couldn;t have done much with the goals, gets dropped because some idiotic fans decided to get on his back.

He's now been completely written off by a lot of people, yet Gazzaniga has made howlers pretty much every game, looked overal poor and has directly cost us points. He's also played behind a much improved defence as well and still is messing up.

How the hell is he getting the benefit of the doubt but Boruc who hadn't played for 6 months gets written off after 2 game?

He's getting the benefit of the doubt because he's young and everyone loves a prospect. Tbh I haven't seen that many people writing off Boruc, but clearly Adkins doesn't rate him that highly. That's who you should have your beef with if you feel he should be playing.

Against Swansea it was 1/2 and 1/2 with Yoshida. Yoshida should have taken it on his chest and ****ted it away into row Z in the Itchen.

Against QPR Clyne didn't close down the cross and neither Fonte nor Yoshida got anywhere near Hoilett.

Tonight we had a whole half of football to score one single goal that would have won us the game.

Is Gazzaniga good enough for this level (yet)? No, I don't think so. We agree on that. Is it all his fault? Not at all. No way. This is scapegoating in the extreme.

Agree with you. fans like to have a scapegoat. of course he should have done better with swansea/qpr/norwich goals but he has made some good saves in those games as well. the save from santon was out of this world.

i would keep with gazza until january and then sign decent experienced keeper and use gazza as #2. davis and boruc not good enough and like gazza have calamities in their armour.

Agree, certain players are beyond criticism (Schneiderlin) on here whilst others are demonised (formerly Puncheon, Boruc, Fox etc etc).

I don't blame Gazza for the mistakes, he's a 20 year old plucked from div 2 now expected to keep goal against some of the best strikers in the world. To expect him to slot in and perform at prem league level was always ridiculous.

I just want to know when Boruc, a GK with proven ability is finally going to get a run in the team?

He could already have saved us 6+ points which would have seen us mid table. He needs match fitness but how the heck is he going to get it whilst we persist with Gazza?

Demonising a fine GK after 2 games is an utter joke.

sadly ghe was like a rabbit caught in the headlights 2nd half. There were a few occasions where he should have come for the ball but didnt.

How he will cope in front of the Kop will be telling. KD made fewer mistakes but got loads of stick on here, Gazzinga has potentially cost us 4 points in 2 of the last 3 home games.

NA is in a difficult position, he brought Gazzinga back ahead of KD, if KD is now shot and plays and makes a mistake then where does he go from there? Boruc has blotted his copybook and so we up a creek without a paddle

Something or other has to be amiss with Boruc, as a keeper of his pedigree should really be head and shoulders above our other two in the pecking order. Got to wonder why he wasn't snapped up earlier.

There is a good reason. He's been error prone for the last few years. Why at 32, when he should be at his peak, did La Viola let him leave on a free. His last season at Celtic they wanted rid. He's unprofessional (or was at least) earlier in his career.

What I really cant see is this "Gazza's got potential", I'm not saying he hasn't but on what basis is everybody basing this on, 1 great save against newcastle? I'm sure even Tommy Forecast has made one or two great saves in his life, most keepers have. At Everton his positioning was all over the place, Swansea he cost us, QPR was one of the most inept performances I've seen from a keeper with not much to do. Yesterday he was poor, the goal was soft and second half the way he stayed on his line a couple of times was comical. I'm sure I could have jumped out the Kingsland ran into the box and picked the ball up before he did.

It seems to me that people are saying he's got "potential" because he plays for Saints and because he's playing. I haven't seen much potential, it seems that every time someone shoots, he lets it in or looks like he's fielding a googly.

Forget "potential" you're either good enough or you're not...end of. Shaw is young and good enough, Gazza is not and has never been since he came into the side. Maybe he will be, maybe he wont (I remember all the praise heaped on Bart on here).If Nigel persists in playing him, we'll get relegated, simple as that.

Oh, and well done to the old women who reported Boruc, that was helpful.

What I really cant see is this "Gazza's got potential", I'm not saying he hasn't but on what basis is everybody basing this on, 1 great save against newcastle? I'm sure even Tommy Forecast has made one or two great saves in his life, most keepers have. At Everton his positioning was all over the place, Swansea he cost us, QPR was one of the most inept performances I've seen from a keeper with not much to do. Yesterday he was poor, the goal was soft and second half the way he stayed on his line a couple of times was comical. I'm sure I could have jumped out the Kingsland ran into the box and picked the ball up before he did.

It seems to me that people are saying he's got "potential" because he plays for Saints and because he's playing. I haven't seen much potential, it seems that every time someone shoots, he lets it in or looks like he's fielding a googly.

Forget "potential" you're either good enough or you're not...end of. Shaw is young and good enough, Gazza is not and has never been since he came into the side. Maybe he will be, maybe he wont (I remember all the praise heaped on Bart on here).If Nigel persists in playing him, we'll get relegated, simple as that.

Oh, and well done to the old women who reported Boruc, that was helpful.

No they are saying all this because they wanted KD out and now realise they were wrong and do not have the fibre to admit they misjudged the situation. i have supported KD in the bad times but accepted he needed to be taken out of the firing line after the poor start, he should have been brought back in after Boruc.i shudder to think how he will react in front of the Kop!!! The defence had looked pretty secure until his mistake and then they lost all confidence and this unsettled the team. A dilemma for NA to solve

he may be a talent and one for the future but can we afford that right now?

What seriously worries me is that when the day of reckoning comes at the end of the season and we stay up or go down by a point we can directly attribute where and when things went wrong.

For me we won a scrappy game 1-0 last night. But we didn't did we? The look on Snodgrass' face when he scored was one of surprised embarrassment

I want Kelvin back now

There is a good reason. He's been error prone for the last few years. Why at 32, when he should be at his peak, did La Viola let him leave on a free. His last season at Celtic they wanted rid. He's unprofessional (or was at least) earlier in his career.

They didn't, they wanted him to stay as he had been very good for them, 14 clean sheets last year and had ousted Frey from the number one shirt and held it for two years.

He wanted to leave to play in the premiership http://www.football-italia.net/19876/boruc-wants-fiorentina-exit

He's not unprofessional, he's just a bit controversial and doesn't really care about the media PR etc.

The first thing you want from a keeper is to do the basics right, keep it tidy, and make few errors. Any world class saves are a bonus. The world's best keepers like Czech, Casillas, Buffon aren't constantly making world class saves, they are consistent, they make very few errors, their distribution is good, they control their defences and command the area. Most games they go unnoticed because they are efficient, they then add the odd world class save on top.

We have a keeper that is doing it the wrong way round, he's making the odd top class save but mucking up the simple stuff. Good goalskeepers rarely attract the headlines, ours is. He's like the guy that goes in goal when you are having a kick about with your mates, saves all the long shots, dives around all over the place, but when you put him in goal for an actual game he mucks up all the boring bits.

Edited by tajjuk

They didn't, they wanted him to stay as he had been very good for them, 14 clean sheets last year and had ousted Frey from the number one shirt and held it for two years.

He wanted to leave to play in the premiership http://www.football-italia.net/19876/boruc-wants-fiorentina-exit

He's not unprofessional, he's just a bit controversial and doesn't really care about the media PR etc.

Yet he played so well he wasn't even in the Poland squad for Euro 2012 after Fabianski pulled out in the Summer? That makes him at best the 5th ranked Polish keeper. Don't forget that clean sheets are far easier to come by in Serie A.

"He had a price tag of £10million. He was idolised by the Celtic supporters and they nicknamed him ‘The Holy Goalie’.

The following season his form dipped. He put on weight and had off-field problems.

He was fined by the club for a brawl with Aiden McGeady and there was no doubt Boruc took then-manager Gordon Strachan to breaking point on a few occasions.

Strachan sometimes wanted to drop Boruc but there wasn’t sufficient back-up quality to do that.

Edited by Dibden Purlieu Saint

Agree. Boruc needs a run of games before we can say if he is the answer or not.

For me, he is the real deal and when fully match ready would be our best and most experienced keeper since Niemi.

Some soft lad moaning about a bottle of water put the club in a difficult position and created this dead end of a problem.

Big Boruc is as mad as brush and was loved by Celtic fans for his crazy ways. Seems we all got to used to whispering kelvin.

Boruc in.....if he is no better then we are no worse off....but will desperately need a new Goalie !

He is not a whipping boy but after a cracking save against Newcastle he was rubbish last night. The goal he conceded was a mis hit free kick from Snodgrass. I was more worried he is developing a dracula complex regarding crosses.

More or less agree with you (apart from the crosses). He made a gaff. He also made a couple of really good saves. It’s a bit like the Newcastle keep on Sunday who made several blinding saves but will be remembered for the spill that allowed Gaston to tap in. Gazza did not cost us 2 points yesterday. A 1-1 draw was a fair reflection of the overall game and there was a hint of fortune over our own goal!

From where I was sitting Snodgrass had too big a view of the goal so if Gazza made a mistake, I think his biggest one was not setting the wall up correctly.

Anyway, let’s move on. I’m not sure dropping him is really the answer. Yet. Would be interesting to know how match fit Boruc is now….

Boruc needs to lose a couple of stone before he gets near the first team again. Gazza has made a couple of howlers, Boruc had a shocker v West Ham, and also how many times did you see KD beat at his near post in the first few games he played!.

You could take your pick from all 3, they all have faults.

how much longer are we going to continue with this clown in goal..

he may be young and going to make mistakes..but he will have a big hand in sending us down

should be no where near our first team

You are wrong. Gazza gave us the win against Newcastle as we failed to get a third. He was the difference between 1 and 3 points, no argument. He will be a very very good gk. But hey, without Hammond here or Guly in the team, saints winning ( must be down to NC) who else have you got to moan about. Go to a game now and again, or maybe get a hobby, all this hate aint doin you no good.

Boruc needs to lose a couple of stone before he gets near the first team again. Gazza has made a couple of howlers, Boruc had a shocker v West Ham, and also how many times did you see KD beat at his near post in the first few games he played!.

You could take your pick from all 3, they all have faults.

Boruc has been successful at Celtic and Fiorentina, comparable levels to Saints in the PL. By contrast KD had a mare at Sunderland and at the start of the season whilst Gazzaniga just isnt ready. If anyone desrves the benefit of the doubt its Boruc.

Interesting interview with Notts County goalkeeping coach talking about how good Bart has been for them if you have a Saintsplayer login. http://www.player.nottscountyfc.co.uk/latest-news

Edited by buctootim

It just drives me mad that since Niemi we haven't had a goalkeeper that you can almost ignore and just let them get on with it without having to worry every time the ball is rolled back to him etc.

The points Gazza has cost us is now at 4 because Swansea were't going to score without that gift and again last night we had began to take a hold of the game and were set to go into the second half on the up which would have forced Norwich to come at us second half and we'd have had other chances to score, instead, as Adkins put it, it changed the whole complexion.

Kelvin has made some great saves for us but I can't think of any that were as good as Gazza's save vs Newcastle.

****ing hell, he gave one of the greatest goalkeeping performance I've seen in 40+ years of watching Saints. That game at Leeds wasn't that long ago. Had Gazza been playing instead it would have been about 14-1