Gazza - the comedy keeper

Thedelldays

Everybody is quick to criticise the keeper but never best players for not shooting on target as Lambo + Lallana both blazed chances over, on target and we might have won and nobody would be saying anything about the keeper. Again he did a great save which made up for his mistake, he needs experience and im sure he'll become good.

Wasn't just the goal, that's the tip of the iceberg. It's the inability and/or unwillingness to come off his line and command the box at crosses. It was getting so bad second half that he wasnt even coming to pick up routine, over hit through balls, even though he was unchallenged.

Out of his depth at the moment and it's costing us dearly.

Everybody is quick to criticise the keeper but never best players for not shooting on target as Lambo + Lallana both blazed chances over, on target and we might have won and nobody would be saying anything about the keeper. Again he did a great save which made up for his mistake, he needs experience and im sure he'll become good.

He will come good, and I feel for him. I genuinely believe he'll be a good keeper but I think this is a time for a steadier keeper. If Boruc is fit, then that is what he'll offer us.

As for the mistake - I don't think you can compare missing chances to making a mistake with what should have been a fairly easy save.

he makes save that I would expect any decent prem keeper to make

I have zero confidence that we can host, say.....arsenal or liverpool and he will put in one of those heroic displays that wins us the game....

we will always score goals...but like tonight..(and against swansea)..you have to grind out that 1-0 win....we aint going to do it when he makes the massive howler every single game

Wasn't just the goal, that's the tip of the iceberg. It's the inability and/or unwillingness to come off his line and command the box at crosses. It was getting so bad second half that he wasnt even coming to pick up routine, over hit through balls, even though he was unchallenged.

Out of his depth at the moment and it's costing us dearly.

So he's turning into kelvin?

Don't like to criticise players especially ones so young but he was poor tonight. As mentioned above it isn't just the saves it is many other things.

His kicking is bad and makes poor decisions which have put defenders under huge pressure. Coming for crosses with not really knowing where to go or what to do. When he comes for the ball I have to be honest and say I expect him to **** it up and a lot of the time he does. His positioning is also bad.

Again I don't mean to be harsh but right now he is way out of his depth. I try and think of his strengths and really can't think of any. He is young and unexperienced and needs a lot of work. The question is should he be doing that work at this level right now? I don't think so. Some positions you can bring in youngsters i.e defence as they will have others helping them out, they will cover for them. Shaw made a few mistakes but overall he has done very well. You have confidence in him to do the right things when they need to be done. With Gazza it is a different story. You can see he has no confidence and the problem is that can spread to the team. After that goal went in I felt we lost our way. We never really recovered and at times I felt we were going to lose it.

He might turn into a decent player one day but I think the pl isn't the place to teach a gk how to play. He has made 4 or 5 personal errors now which have been punished. He needs to learn and I think that should be done by sending him out on loan this season.

Time to call Kelvin back in and then in january spend some money on a proven keeper.

Have we forgotten the great saves on Saturday, he is a young keeper with loads of promise, the problem is if the keeper makes an error we get hurt but other players make errors all of the game and we dont ridicule them for every issue do we.... He should be learning from KD and playing and improving COYR

Have we forgotten the great saves on Saturday, he is a young keeper with loads of promise, the problem is if the keeper makes an error we get hurt but other players make errors all of the game and we dont ridicule them for every issue do we.... He should be learning from KD and playing and improving COYR

What about his hairdo?

Don't like to criticise players especially ones so young but he was poor tonight. As mentioned above it isn't just the saves it is many other things.

His kicking is bad and makes poor decisions which have put defenders under huge pressure. Coming for crosses with not really knowing where to go or what to do. When he comes for the ball I have to be honest and say I expect him to **** it up and a lot of the time he does. His positioning is also bad.

Again I don't mean to be harsh but right now he is way out of his depth. I try and think of his strengths and really can't think of any. He is young and unexperienced and needs a lot of work. The question is should he be doing that work at this level right now? I don't think so. Some positions you can bring in youngsters i.e defence as they will have others helping them out, they will cover for them. Shaw made a few mistakes but overall he has done very well. You have confidence in him to do the right things when they need to be done. With Gazza it is a different story. You can see he has no confidence and the problem is that can spread to the team. After that goal went in I felt we lost our way. We never really recovered and at times I felt we were going to lose it.

He might turn into a decent player one day but I think the pl isn't the place to teach a gk how to play. He has made 4 or 5 personal errors now which have been punished. He needs to learn and I think that should be done by sending him out on loan this season.

Time to call Kelvin back in and then in january spend some money on a proven keeper.

Are you saying he's Bartoz bialkowski Mk 2?

how much longer are we going to continue with this clown in goal..

he may be young and going to make mistakes..but he will have a big hand in sending us down

should be no where near our first team

I thought he was great against Newcastle, made one great save at a very crucial time in the game. Every single keeper in the league makes mistakes these days. I'd like to give him a chance, unless we were going to attract Joe Hart that is - oh yeh, he also makes silly mistakes.

Are you saying he's Bartoz bialkowski Mk 2?

Bartoz is actually a good keeper. He is doing very well at Notts County.

I think the difference is with Gazza we give him the chances where as with Bartoz we didn't.

You can't expect a 20 year old who's only experience of football is a few games in league two to do well in the pl. The decision itself defies belief.

Again that is not me slagging the kid off. Because with that amount of experience you will make a lot of mistakes, it is natural.

After the Villa game when we signed Boruc, I looked at a GK options and was pretty content. We looked strong.

Now I look at them and think WTF? Boruc looks a mess to me, might be experienced, but he ain't in the best condition - trust me on that one.

Gazza is young, but he's making howlers. Joe Hart was/is young as well, he didn't make many howlers.

£2.5m on gazza is a fair bit, and it may turn out to be a sound investment in time, but in our predicament I don't think we should be playing this game.

Personally the only way out of this is another GK in January.

After the Villa game when we signed Boruc, I looked at a GK options and was pretty content. We looked strong.

Now I look at them and think WTF? Boruc looks a mess to me, might be experienced, but he ain't in the best condition - trust me on that one.

Gazza is young, but he's making howlers. Joe Hart was/is young as well, he didn't make many howlers.

£2.5m on gazza is a fair bit, and it may turn out to be a sound investment in time, but in our predicament I don't think we should be playing this game.

Personally the only way out of this is another GK in January.

When I suggested that Gazza wasn't the real deal after seeing him play in the summer I believe you labelled me a 'pillock'. I look forward to reading your apology and those of Bearsy, Appy et al.

He's showing his immaturity, and the more he shows it at this level the more it will be exploited. Besides the error for the goal (errors, plural, if he set the wall), he gave up on a couple of crosses to the far post in the first half, thinking they would go out. They very nearly didn't.

I like him and I think he has a ton of promise, but he really needs to get some games under his belt at a better level than Gillingham but below the Premier League.

What gets my goat is seeing the knee-jerk negative brigade calling him a "clown", which he clearly isn't. Errors and all, he may still be our best option right now.

Kelvin won't be any less cross-shy or near-post-vulnerable if he comes back, and Boruc's dubious judgment and seeming lack of agility/fitness won't have improved either. Neither represents a clear improvement.

We need to make a decision and stick with it until the cheque book can come out.

When I suggested that Gazza wasn't the real deal after seeing him play in the summer I believe you labelled me a 'pillock'. I look forward to reading your apology and those of Bearsy, Appy et al.

It was a sillly comment to make at the time though, as it was his debut. I still believe there is a good keeper there, just very raw around the edges and not the sort of player we need out there at the mo. There were a couple of times where he hesitated coming for a ball that should have been his all day long, so seems very nervous.

I don't understand who scouted him and decided he was better than Bart. At the moment he isn't, and now Bart by all accounts is tearing it up at Notts county as he's getting games. Yes Gazza has great potential but now is not the time to try and blood him. Stick KD back in and get Gazza playing regular reserve games.

It was a sillly comment to make at the time though, as it was his debut. I still believe there is a good keeper there, just very raw around the edges and not the sort of player we need out there at the mo. There were a couple of times where he hesitated coming for a ball that should have been his all day long, so seems very nervous.

Yes, absolutely right though wasn't I?

I'm amazed at the amount of people sticking up for Gazzaniga here. If it was KD who had made the same mistakes Gazzaniga has then this forum would be in meltdown. This man is costing us points due to his individual errors. How many goals conceded earlier in the season were directly down to individual errors from Kelv? I am struggling to think of any. Many he could have done better with, but none that directly resulted in us losing points.

KD back in for Liverpool please and until January, and then sign a PL quality keeper.

All three of our keepers have cost us goals, it's not a great situation to be in. We're just going to have to make do until January and spend some cash on someone proven if we are going to stay up.

Please name a goal we have conceded this season that came direct from a KD error? Again this is not to say that he couldn't have done a lot better with some goals he has conceded this season because he could, but how many were individually down to I'm?

how much longer are we going to continue with this clown in goal..

he may be young and going to make mistakes..but he will have a big hand in sending us down

should be no where near our first team

Neither should Davis or Boruc. That's the problem.

Unless they can work miracles with Boruc and get him back in shape then we need another keeper in January.

Currently all 3 keepers aren't good enough.

My first observation is the opening post was made while the game was in play as was the bulk of the first page!!

My view from behind was the ball was hit with some venom it dipped bounced/skidded under him that could have happened to any keeper.

I was cold in the stand and watching Gazza first half he looked cold too which seemed to make him a little slow.

The free kick that led to the goal was a bit soft as matey was already falling as Clyne imitated a scythe, which made it easier for Clattenburg.

Please name a goal we have conceded this season that came direct from a KD error? Again this is not to say that he couldn't have done a lot better with some goals he has conceded this season because he could, but how many were individually down to I'm?

The goal against Arsenal when Gervinho waited for KD to come out and cover his near post and he never came, so he said thanks very much and slammed it in the near post, only for KD to fall backwards on to his arse.

Not to mention 2 awful misses by Man U/Man City when KD created wonderful attacking opportunities for them single handedly with his awful distribution.

KD is simply not good enough. He's already been dropped twice in his career for a rookie goalkeeper at PL level and there is a good reason for it. We cannot make the same mistake a third time

What did he say MLG?

''He needs to keep the ball out of the back of the net''

the reporter then made some sort of comment about bringing Boruc back iirc, and then he said that ''I'm a supportive guy, but sometimes you just need to keep it out of the net and you can't keep doing the same things" (or along those lines) Sounded very miffed with him, as I think he knew that we had Norwich controlled and marked pretty well in open play, and we'd have won it if not for that error.