Saints v Man Utd Tonight

spyinthesky

Got to say Lee was dreadful and Mayuka not much better, neither contributed to one memorable incident.

I understood Lee won and scored the first penalty. Maybe he didn't play very well, but surely our goal counts as a memorable incident, as would his later miss. So thats 2 memorable incidents that Lee was involved in.

Yes Lee was rubbish gave away the ball too cheaply and although he scored the 1st penalty he missed the 2nd vital one when it was 1-1 and would of won us the game for sure.

Mayuka was slightly better but was knocked about by the united defenders and had no end product to his play.

I can see why both Lee and Mayuka are not anywhere near the starting line up as they need to toughen up if they are to stand any chance at all

Nigel was in the stands watching too and must have been disappointed by what he saw from those two in particular, on brighter note young Callum Chambers looked good as did Jack Stevens who wound up Macheda big time :)

Yes Lee was rubbish gave away the ball too cheaply and although he scored the 1st penalty he missed the 2nd vital one when it was 1-1 and would of won us the game for sure.

Mayuka was slightly better but was knocked about by the united defenders and had no end product to his play.

I can see why both Lee and Mayuka are not anywhere near the starting line up as they need to toughen up if they are to stand any chance at all

Nigel was in the stands watching too and must have been disappointed by what he saw from those two in particular, on brighter note young Callum Chambers looked good as did Jack Stevens who wound up Macheda big time :)

This - I can't believe how Lee was so bad tonight. He was so ineffectual

Sorry, what?! I didn't see the game, how is this actually possible?

He was stood in the box when the ball was bouncing around. And got hacked. It seemed like he hardly moved at all. Never drew the penalty

But I saw it on a dodgy stream

What was clear... He was abysmal nearly all game

This is where football should follow rugby's lead with penalty tries.

A deliberate handball that stops a goal like tonight shouldn't be a penalty, it should be a "penalty goal" and a red card.

Why?

If you can't score a penalty into a 17.86m2 space that's nobody's fault apart from your own.

I agree with that but Stephens is a converted right back and never a centre half - do we actually have many in the club? Macheda was as bad as Tadanari if that was possible.

The service to Mayuka was abysmal no wonder when he got it he just ran at them. We pass it backwards and sideways so much we dont know what to do going forward.

Man Utd goal came from a needless backwards pass that put Turnbull under pressure when we had other options forward.

I understand the need to keep the ball but we didnt do anything with it when we had it...sideways and backwards is all we did.

A deliberate handball that stops a goal like tonight shouldn't be a penalty, it should be a "penalty goal" and a red card.

Why?

If you can't score a penalty into a 17.86m2 space that's nobody's fault apart from your own.

Because Saints were denied a clear goal and the actions of the Man Utd player prevented them winning the game by cheating late on it the match with that handball. It matters not that you should score penalties, it shouldn't have come to that.

Our OS isn't sure that it was deliberate

Just two minutes later, Saints were awarded their second spot kick of the evening when Lingard was adjudged to have handled the ball in a melee inside the six yard box.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/saints-u21s-1-1-man-utd-u21s-report-524055.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

Was really, really disappointed with Lee. I really wanted him to make an impact here, and I felt he would, but on displays like that you just feel his days are numbered.

Another who was disappointed with Lee

Add Makuta to that as he argued with Lee over who was to take both pens.

Pity he didnt grab it first for the second spot kick.

We were second best most of the game and could have suffered a walloping if it wasn't for Cropper.

Hope for better next week when the Youth Team play Everton in the Cup

I agree with that but Stephens is a converted right back and never a centre half - do we actually have many in the club? Macheda was as bad as Tadanari if that was possible.

The service to Mayuka was abysmal no wonder when he got it he just ran at them. We pass it backwards and sideways so much we dont know what to do going forward.

Man Utd goal came from a needless backwards pass that put Turnbull under pressure when we had other options forward.

I understand the need to keep the ball but we didnt do anything with it when we had it...sideways and backwards is all we did.

Lots of young players change positions as they mature. Stephens is a centre back. No question. Thought Turnbull was very good tonight too (I thought he, rather than Stephens was the one winding Macheda up).

Not sure the service was that bad to Mayuka. Was it not a case of his feet never leaving the ground so he lost every singlwe one of his aerial duels? I watched him carefully in the second half and rather than watch the ball he seemed more intent on watching his marker to see if he made a mistake.

Lots of young players change positions as they mature. Stephens is a centre back. No question. Thought Turnbull was very good tonight too (I thought he, rather than Stephens was the one winding Macheda up).

Not sure the service was that bad to Mayuka. Was it not a case of his feet never leaving the ground so he lost every singlwe one of his aerial duels? I watched him carefully in the second half and rather than watch the ball he seemed more intent on watching his marker to see if he made a mistake.

Fair enough football is about opinions I just didn't think our centre halves looked like that is a natural position - having played that position myself only at Hampshire league level though they to me looked as they it was all reactive rather than reading it and positioning themselves for it.

Mayuka is all about pace ...how many passes or through balls did he get? I could count them on one hand the rest were just lumped up to him or last resort after going backwards and sideways 5-10 times every move. For either Lee or Mayuka to be effective they need either flick ons from a big forward or quick early balls through from midfield or defence...they had neither last night.

Another who was disappointed with Lee

Add Makuta to that as he argued with Lee over who was to take both pens.

Pity he didnt grab it first for the second spot kick.

We were second best most of the game and could have suffered a walloping if it wasn't for Cropper.

Hope for better next week when the Youth Team play Everton in the Cup

Good work, MLG will love this, I'll have to start using it.

Anyone else thing the under 21's don't matter nearly as much as the under 18s? If someone is older than 18 but under 21 and is not really in the first team, it is unlikely they will be a top top player. They might be a late developer but lets face it, if they were good, they would be around the first team by now ala Shaw and Ward-Prowse. They are likely to make it as pro footballers but will not be stars.

Fair enough football is about opinions I just didn't think our centre halves looked like that is a natural position - having played that position myself only at Hampshire league level though they to me looked as they it was all reactive rather than reading it and positioning themselves for it.

....Both Stephens and Turnbull looked comfortable on the ball and did Ok on the defensive side against decent opposition........

Mayuka is all about pace ...how many passes or through balls did he get? I could count them on one hand the rest were just lumped up to him or last resort after going backwards and sideways 5-10 times every move. For either Lee or Mayuka to be effective they need either flick ons from a big forward or quick early balls through from midfield or defence...they had neither last night.

....I agree very much with these comments. Lee was played out wide last night when he is more a threat playing off the shoulder of the opposition back four using his pace..Nowadays forwards also need to defend from the front and Lee was annoyingly lightweight last night.

Mayuka has been played as a central striker a few times this season (either a full game as last night and v Leeds or as a sub v Man Utd).

It doesn't seem to suit him.

He seems to create more as an impact sub out wide (but £3.5m for a sub??)

One thing that was noticeable last night was his position defending corners. Not sure exactly what he was told to do but he basically remained fairly static in the penalty area and seemed not too fussed about picking anyone up.

Of course his prime purpose is forward play but all players have their defensive roles too!!.............................

don't think you can really judge players on what they do in the U21s or reserves. A couple of inadequate players around him can make any decent player look dire, just as playing alongside acomplished players can make a player look far better than he actually is. .

Agreed but I tend to look for ones that stand out from the rest, Cropper and Reeves did, Man Utd number 10 did.

I am not being too hard on Mayuke as he had very little support or quality pass ...Lee as others have said was abysmal I wonder if the injuries

he has had have diminished what talent he had - he certainly didn't want any physical stuff.

Agreed but I tend to look for ones that stand out from the rest, Cropper and Reeves did, Man Utd number 10 did.

I am not being too hard on Mayuke as he had very little support or quality pass ...Lee as others have said was abysmal I wonder if the injuries

he has had have diminished what talent he had - he certainly didn't want any physical stuff.

I expect Lee to be gone very soon, he's not getting any PL time and he won't want to play in the Junior sides. Out of the door as soon as the window opens, probably back to Japan although german football seems to like japanese players.

don't think you can really judge players on what they do in the U21s or reserves. A couple of inadequate players around him can make any decent player look dire, just as playing alongside acomplished players can make a player look far better than he actually is. .

I think this is a fair comment

Remember seeing Puncheon (and I think Dickson and Forte?) playing for the U18's pre season last year at Totton

None were stand outs although credit to Punch as he was very encouraging to the youngsters