Vegard Forren - Signs

Nigel=God-Poyet=Sod

I never joke. I truly don't believe peachy has Norwegian contacts and won't until I read a blog about it or hear him talking to Jason Cundy at 11:45 pm on talksport.

I'm glad you clarified your position. Hopefully this will calm Crazy Diamond down a little

A good profile on him here, from when he was Liverpool-bound:

The five-time capped Norway international is, at 24, not a fresh-faced youngster to be developed in the reserves, but rather a ready-made deputy for Liverpool's established first-choice defenders Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger. In fact, similarities are bound to be drawn between Forren and the latter.

They are both strong, left-footed centre-backs with solid technique and a more expansive passing range than most Premier League stoppers, and the two Scandinavians share a fondness for bombing forward with the ball at their feet.

However, Forren possesses a competitive nature and will not be content with merely being the Dane's understudy. The powerful Norwegian possesses the combativeness and guile to be a success in England – the big question is how much playing time he will be afforded by Brendan Rodgers.

Liverpool fans may be concerned that their club could be set to spend £4 million on a 24-year old centre-half with limited continental and international experience, but there is every chance Forren could turn out to be quite the bargain. He might be a late bloomer, but during the the last two seasons he has been far and away the best central defender in the Norwegian Tippeliga.

Under former Manchester United player Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's coaching he has developed into a solid performer on the domestic stage, playing in every single game of the 2012 Tippeliga as well as winning last year's NISO Golden Ball, the Norwegian equivalent of the PFA Player of the year award.

His efforts with Molde in the Europa League, as well as his impressive performances during his first two competitive internationals in Norway's World Cup Qualifiers in October, are further evidence that this is a player who will be relishing the opportunity to step up a level.

To summarise, Forren's rise has been one of 2012's major positives for Norwegian football.

For the first time since Brede Hangeland's breakthrough there is a real feeling that Norway has finally produced another central defender who can make his mark in Europe, and the rave press reviews underline the fact that Forren most likely has outgrown the Norwegian top division.

Norway's two biggest newspapers, VG and Aftenposten, along with broadcaster TV2 (who hold the TV rights to Tippeligaen) have all rated him as the top defender in the Tippeliga.

This, together with his breakthrough in the national team, gives the sense of a potential that is finally being fulfilled. It says something about Forren that, after five international appearances (all of them in 2012), he is already perceived as one of Norway's most important players.

With Forren's consistently excellent performances on the pitch in mind it was not surprising that suitors from bigger leagues started to make themselves known in late summer. He has had admirers in both Belgium and Germany as well as England, but ask Forren himself and there is no doubt which league he has his heart set on.

"To me, the Premier League is the best place to play football," Forren told local paper Romsdals Budstikke. Everton and Fulham were thought to be the front-runners for Forren, especially after Toffees manager David Moyes scouted him at a recent Molde game. Now it seems Anfield, not Goodison, might be Forren's next home ground.

The impression remains that Forren has been fortunate in terms of his career trajectory. He will now move to a stronger league better equipped than he would have been had he moved abroad a few years ago. The Norwegian appears convinced that the last two seasons have made him a strong enough player to excel in the hustle-and-bustle of the English top-tier.

Should he leave Molde, it is also likely that he will take comfort in manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's assertion that "Vegard Forren is good enough to play for Manchester United".

Like his manager, Forren is a supporter of the Red Devils – but then again rumour has it Solskjaer supported Liverpool before he moved to United in 1996. Maybe this is Liverpool's chance to get one back?

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

#SaintsFC have had a bid accepted for Molde's Vegard Forren, Press Association Sport understands. #LFC interested but now set for St Mary's.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

Have managed to firm up Norwegian contact's info on the south coast. Forren would be a great signing for #SaintsFC.

Again, the idea is to get better than what we have, isn't it?

You would think so but a lot of the players we signed in the summer have had to bide there time like Davies and jay rod,

Fonte and yoshida was starting to develop a decent partnership before fontes injury but now there is a chance for forren to come straight in and show what he can do if he signs, I still hope we pull off astori though he sounded the real deal forren doesn't fill me with half as much confidence as he would

Looks like Liverpool are our scouting club - they put in first offer and we pinch them - I'm sure that will go down well with their 'chip on the shoulder' 'champions of europe' fans
To be honest, it doesn't appear that Liverpool were all that bothered by him, hence the fact they asked him for a trial. They're better set-up in terms of Centre Backs than us.

I bet their forums are in meltdown!

Could be that the player was concerned about Liverpool being the Gun Crime capital of the UK

A Local league player was shot before kick off at playing fields in the Liverpool suburb of Woolton and Stephen Gerrard's father had to employ a well known 'scally' to protect his son when he was being threatened by other local mobsters.

So first it was Fulham and Everton. Then he was going to Liverpool, but now it´s to us and possibly QPR are trying to snitch it....

And people on this board STILL wonder why (complain about) our club don´t go public on possible transfers??

Do many people actually complain about Saints not going public on our transfer targets? I don't think many people would expect us to. Anyway, this example shows that regardless of what publicity is put out there, other clubs will usually find out what's going on through the various networks of agents etc. I doubt they have somone searching twitter for news on potentially available players.

Do many people actually complain about Saints not going public on our transfer targets? I don't think many people would expect us to. Anyway, this example shows that regardless of what publicity is put out there, other clubs will usually find out what's going on through the various networks of agents etc. I doubt they have somone searching twitter for news on potentially available players.

Us keeping all our targets under wrap is a myth. We managed to do it a few times in the lower leagues when we were probably able to do things on our own terms a little more. I think the club does everything it can to not comment but in the world of the premier league, there is far too much focus and access to Journos and agents for anything to stay quiet for long. Despite the clubs best attempts, it's all a little futile.

If this happends - who will leave ? Martin, Seabourbe or Big Jos ?

Seabourne! Apparently his loan spell at CAFC was universally panned as "not up to this league" by CAFC fans, despite getting a fair few games (though mostly at LB).

Still terrified to think he might get a shot in the prem :(

I bet they are!

How are you DPS, excited by this potential signing?

Haven't seen much of him, so only judging really by other reports, but yes, sounds like he'd be an excellent signing. I also like brining in Scandinavian players, due to the fact that they can usually settle in quickly due to the similarity of climates/cultures and the fact that most of them can speak decent English.

I dont really get why he would want to do a trial? Isnt the point of scouts to decide if hes good enough or not? Clearly we have faith in our bunch.

We can offer him 1st team football, he'll most likely be behind Agger and Skrtel.

Yeah, that Malcom Elias doesn't know what he's talking about!! LOL Actually, is he still around in the land of people that spit when they talk? Is odd how he had a trial. Thought he'd have been vetted by the scouts but I suppose, you intend to splash a few mill, it's your prerogative.

Haven't seen much of him, so only judging really by other reports, but yes, sounds like he'd be an excellent signing. I also like brining in Scandinavian players, due to the fact that they can usually settle in quickly due to the similarity of climates/cultures and the fact that most of them can speak decent English.

At least he's been linked with several clubs so he must be fairly well rated.

It's better than this sort of signing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21021336