Vegard Forren - Signs

Nigel=God-Poyet=Sod

The amazing football manager aside surely the fact that us, everton, fulham, liverpool and reading (a quarter of the league!) have all been credited with genuine interest would suggest he must be at least half decent? I'm sure we have a half decent scout between the five of us ;)

I`m norwegian. Have seen him play many times last year, both for club and country. He`s a modern centre back, from the same mould as Sergio Ramos and David Luiz. He has good passing, reads the game well and is pretty fast. He`s efficient in moving the ball out of defence. Although he is not the biggest CB, he very often look dangerous on attacking set pieces as well.

Out of our current CB`s, I would rate Forren and Fonte about the same. Both good defenders, but a little weak for my liking.

I`m norwegian. Have seen him play many times last year, both for club and country. He`s a modern centre back, from the same mould as Sergio Ramos and David Luiz. He has good passing, reads the game well and is pretty fast. He`s efficient in moving the ball out of defence. Although he is not the biggest CB, he very often look dangerous on attacking set pieces as well.

Out of our current CB`s, I would rate Forren and Fonte about the same. Both good defenders, but a little weak for my liking.

Thanks, that tells us far more than any stats on a game could. I'd prefer better than we have than someone equal too though.

Surely as he is ONLY on trial at Liverpool, should we place an offer then he would have to cancel his trial wie and duly speak to us if he was at all interested?

Interesting situation isnt it ? Assuming Molde accept our bid,Liverpool presumaby are expected to match it, or his club simply tell him to speak to us if he wants to move.Or is it likely Molde have an agreement with Liverpool,who essentially have first option, and will only consider our bid after the Liverpool trial is completed and decisions there are made ?

Interesting situation isnt it ? Assuming Molde accept our bid,Liverpool presumaby are expected to match it, or his club simply tell him to speak to us if he wants to move.Or is it likely Molde have an agreement with Liverpool,who essentially have first option, and will only consider our bid after the Liverpool trial is completed and decisions there are made ?

Let alone if our bid is accepted, theirs isn't but he expresses a desire to go there only. Find it a bit hard to believe we will wait to see the outcome of his trial before signing him up when our defensive situation needs attention.

Let alone if our bid is accepted' date=' theirs isn't but he expresses a desire to go there only. Find it a bit hard to believe we will wait to see the outcome of his trial before signing him up when our defensive situation needs attention.[/quote']

You would hope not, but depends largely on other bids, and how far advanced the negotiations are. With the money we are rumoured to be prepared tospend you would have thought we'd snare our targets in s straightforward manner, but no,thats not the Saints way it seems.

You would hope not, but depends largely on other bids, and how far advanced the negotiations are. With the money we are rumoured to be prepared tospend you would have thought we'd snare our targets in s straightforward manner, but no,thats not the Saints way it seems.

Fair point but I'm wary we could get into the usual "our transfer policy is terrible, sack the lot ..." nonsense territory this forum often descends to. I'd just like to suggest that us competing with liverpool (and apparently everton) for transfers is a sign of real progress and intent! I'd rather we had hassle and worry and came out with the likes of Ramirez, Yoshida and maybe Astori/Forren compared to Reading's "straight forward" capture of Akpan from Crawley, Kelly from Fulham and the likes of Guthrie in the summer ...

Accept your view Upwey, just that we do seem to 'court' the complex deal. This is not necessarily the clubs fault as other factors are at play, as the other club, and players agents welcome playing it out in public to promote other interest etc.

Accept your view Upwey, just that we do seem to 'court' the complex deal. This is not necessarily the clubs fault as other factors are at play, as the other club, and players agents welcome playing it out in public to promote other interest etc.

True true, we don't seem to do it the easy way often!

Does Anybody know anything about him? Is he Swedish?

Date of birth: 16 February 1988 (age 24)

Place of birth: Kyrksæterøra, Norway

Height: 1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)

Playing position: Central defender

146 Appearances for Molde

5 Caps for Norway (Plays alongside Brede Hangeland)

From the video seems like a hard tackling defender and quite good in the air. On the negative side seems a bit adventurous (ie David Luiz) not sure we need our centre back steaming up the pitch.

Edited by Saint Scott

Also a norse. Agree with everything apart from that he's quick. If he goes to PL i think the tempo would be a major problem for him. Also, his defending is not up to premier league standards. But very good in the attacking parts of the game.

Also a norse. Agree with everything apart from that he's quick. If he goes to PL i think the tempo would be a major problem for him. Also, his defending is not up to premier league standards. But very good in the attacking parts of the game.
He doesn't really sound like an improvement on what we've currently got?

You`re right, he`s not that quick (when it comes to turning, reaction and moving sideways). Maybe the tempo would be challenging for him in that regard. But in a straight line he actually is pretty fast.

I'm not sure we want the norweigan David Luiz, however the amount of clubs linked suggests he has some talent and at 24 he'll still be improving.

Still think it's odd he's on trial at Liverpool, unusual for contracted players to go train with another club.

Yeah, even I like the sound of this one. LOL at the Scouse bell-ends who dont want him because we are in contention. They really have British Empire-scale misplaced delusions of grandeur in Liverpool.

calm down, calm down.... etc

Date of birth: 16 February 1988 (age 24)

Place of birth: Kyrksæterøra, Norway

Height: 1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)

Playing position: Central defender

146 Appearances for Molde

5 Caps for Norway (Plays alongside Brede Hangeland)

From the video seems like a hard tackling defender and quite good in the air. On the negative side seems a bit adventurous (ie David Luiz) not sure we need our centre back steaming up the pitch.

Thing you will never read at a football forum: "from that youtube compilation, he doesn't seem to be that good".

The echo says we're offering £4 mill. Thats not value for money in my opinion.

Thing you will never read at a football forum: "from that youtube compilation, he doesn't seem to be that good".

Desperation perhaps ?

If he helps keep us in the Prem - it will be value for money.

http://fotball.rbnett.no/england/article263869.ece

Article days he is disucssing personal terms with Saints today. Sounds like we have been in talks with Molde for a while.

Apparantly reliable source anfd tbf has quotes from Solskjaer.

Sounds like it could be wrapped up soon then?

Southampton have made a concrete bid. Only details remain before Molde-management agree to the terms. Today Previous and FIFA agent Jim Solbakken Southampton negotiate with the player's personal contract.

- There have been many inquiries from various English clubs, but Southampton submitted an offer, it was very interesting for us and Vegard. We are more or less agreed with the club, but nothing is a hundred percent confirmed. Molde is close to a deal, so we'll see if this is something that all the three parties will go on, says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to Romsdals Budstikke.

Since Norweigan is close to Swedish I can read that without Google translate : ) And the players agens says Saints is best choice for the player really. And the fee is not 100% done yet but very very close. Speaking to the club today - the agent offcourse about personal terms - it sure looks good but we have been down this road before...

If he is a decent quality improvement on what we currently have at CB,then £4m is definitely value for money.

So Molde is training with Liverpool who might unload 22yr old Uruguyan international 6FT 5" CB Sebastian Coates on a loan by consequence. I wonder if there is a team needing an emergency CB, which coincidentally also has a Uruguyan connection, that can immediately put him in the team because he has relevant EPL experience that he could go to then....maybe a team with a mate of his already there that he played in the same team as in the Olympic footie...hmmmm.

Edited by Giordano

So Molde is training with Liverpool who might unload 22yr old Uruguyan international 6FT 5" CB Sebastian Coates on a loan by consequence. I wonder if there is a team needing an emergency CB, which coincidentally also has a Uruguyan connection and who is a CB that can immediately play EPl that he could go to then....maybe a team with a mate of his already there that he played in the same team as in the Olympic footie...hmmmm.

Ah a decent transfer conspiracy idea

*like*

Okay, my first class of the day (17 year old "Technical and industrial production" students) are unanimous that he would be good enough for the premier league. One thinks he won't come to us because he's a united fan, most agree he should come to us so that he won't sit on the bench. They all watch a lot of Norwegian and English football.

I'll give the verdict from my other classes later.

My wife is going to be talking to the Molde owner at his house on Thursday. I'll have her talk it over with him then.