Pochettino on Revista de La Liga

RedAndWhite91

Summary:

"Mauricio do you want to talk in English?"

MP: "I understand English, but I still need to work on my vocabulary and confidence. Okay, lets talk in Spanish."

- Haven't had a lot of time to settle yet

- Very grateful for the attitude of players and staff, they are a family here at Southampton

- Thank you for the welcome of the fans

- Been working round the clock for 3 days

- I really liked what I saw, a very strong first half

- Exactly what I am looking for in the future

- Perhaps our hard work first half without reward caught up with us second half

- Generally speaking, it was a good performance

- At the moment me and Jesus share the technical area, he speaks good English

- Sometimes football is more about gestures

- What attracted me was the structure when I spoke to the club

- I want to work with young players and Southampton have the youngest squad and have a great academy

- I like to work with all the coaches in youth system

- I will look at La Liga for acquisitions, but first I will look to the academy

- Spain is a market I have a lot of knowledge of and it has a lot of rich talent

- Our aim is to consolidate our position and finish as high as possible

- We need to build more solid foundations in the future for the club

Summary:

"Mauricio do you want to talk in English?"

MP: "I understand English, but I still need to work on my vocabulary and confidence. Okay, lets talk in Spanish."

- Haven't had a lot of time to settle yet

- Very grateful for the attitude of players and staff, they are a family here at Southampton

- Thank you for the welcome of the fans

- Been working round the clock for 3 days

- I really liked what I saw, a very strong first half

- Exactly what I am looking for in the future

- Perhaps our hard work first half without reward caught up with us second half

- Generally speaking, it was a good performance

- At the moment me and Jesus share the technical area, he speaks good English

- Sometimes football is more about gestures

- What attracted me was the structure when I spoke to the club

- I want to work with young players and Southampton have the youngest squad and have a great academy

- I like to work with all the coaches in youth system

- I will look at La Liga for acquisitions, but first I will look to the academy

- Spain is a market I have a lot of knowledge of and it has a lot of rich talent

- Our aim is to consolidate our position and finish as high as possible

- We need to build more solid foundations in the future for the club

La Liga here we come!!!

Good interview and he comes across well yet again.

Three key points.

1. He spoke about looking to the academy before automatically bringing players in, perhaps not right now but as a blueprint for the future.

2. Balague said Mourinho recommended him to Saints through a third party and said he would expect him to be a big success.

3. MP said he assistant Jesus speaks very good English but clearly his own isn't that terrible.

Plus Graham Hunter in the Studio said he is a strict disciplinarian and he would expects there to be some bumps along the way but sometimes that can be a good think (the strict discipline)

The only aspect that doesnt fill me with confidence is the over emphasis on blooding the young players through the first team. If they're good enough a la Shaw then great but I'm pretty sure others aren't yet at that level, therefore are we going to make signings or wait until young players are good enough which could hinder short term progress. Sounds all too similar to the Poortvliet era.

The only aspect that doesnt fill me with confidence is the over emphasis on blooding the young players through the first team. If they're good enough a la Shaw then great but I'm pretty sure others aren't yet at that level, therefore are we going to make signings or wait until young players are good enough which could hinder short term progress. Sounds all too similar to the Poortvliet era.

We didn't spend £12 million on 21 year old Uruguayan internationals under Poortvliet.

Academy players will only get near the first team if they are good enough like Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana.

With a category 1 academy and some of the best training facilities in England at Stapleowood, recruitment for young players will improve even further at Saints and we'll be producing more quality players than ever before.

The team will continue to be a mix of signings like Ramirez, Clyne, Forren etc and academy products like Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Lallana etc.

Edited by Matthew Le God

He'll sign players - don't worry about that. As to blooding youngsters - he will when he thinks they are ready. Under the dutch duo we didn't have a pot to **** in so there was no choice. There are academy players virtually knocking on the door according to some on here. The ideal would be to bring the youngsters thru to the 1st team squad and integrate them slowly before throwing them in before they are ready (which I don't think MP will).

Sure they will have to be good enough. Afterall probably the best regular U21 at the moment us Sam Hoskins who is on loan at Stevenage in L1 but on the bench all the time. No way ready for first team.

Pochettino does IMO come across very very well.

Really? Is that REALLY the only aspect that doesn't fill you with confidence? Then you are either very naive or very stupid. Or of course you could be both.

Hang on a minute lads - I'm sensing a conspiracy here. Let's look at the facts:

1. MP was linked with the Real Madrid job.

2. Speculation has surrounded Mourinho suggesting that he won't have a job there next season.

3. Mourihno recommended MP to Saints, conveniently taking him out of the running to replace Mourinho.

Surely it's obvious what's going on here?

2. Speculation has surrounded Mourinho suggesting that he won't have a job there next season.

3. Mourihno recommended MP to Saints, conveniently taking him out of the running to replace Mourinho.

Put the tin hat away lad. Mourihno will to to Chelsea in the summer because he wants to return to England. Nothing to do with him feeling threatened by MP

Having watched a lot of La Liga and knowing the level of respect that people inside the Spanish game have talked about Pochettino I am confident he is the future. My niggling concern is surfing this season. If we can do that I think we can set about putting in place the foundations for the next 3-5 years.

I am also excited by the prospect of his scouting network bring in Spanish players as there is very little value in the UK transfer market on the whole. As Ballague said he knows where there are good players in Spain and which clubs are struggling financially and Pochettino can take advantage of that.

Having watched a lot of La Liga and knowing the level of respect that people inside the Spanish game have talked about Pochettino I am confident he is the future. My niggling concern is surfing this season. If we can do that I think we can set about putting in place the foundations for the next 3-5 years.

I am also excited by the prospect of his scouting network bring in Spanish players as there is very little value in the UK transfer market on the whole. As Ballague said he knows where there are good players in Spain and which clubs are struggling financially and Pochettino can take advantage of that.

How have Spanish players generally adapted to the English - obviously everyone knows the Silvas, Matas and Cazorlas of this world but what the tier below, the kind of segment we'd be looking at? Is Michu the exception or the rule?

How have Spanish players generally adapted to the English - obviously everyone knows the Silvas, Matas and Cazorlas of this world but what the tier below, the kind of segment we'd be looking at? Is Michu the exception or the rule?

I'm guessing angel Rangel and Chico at Swansea are Spanish.

They look very good

I am 100% sure if Real Madrid wanted him, they would get him. Regardless of who he managed, nevermind a club fighting relegation.

We didn't spend £12 million on 21 year old Uruguayan internationals under Poortvliet.

Academy players will only get near the first team if they are good enough like Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana.

With a category 1 academy and some of the best training facilities in England at Stapleowood, recruitment for young players will improve even further at Saints and we'll be producing more quality players than ever before.

The team will continue to be a mix of signings like Ramirez, Clyne, Forren etc and academy products like Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Lallana etc.

This!

Also, I just wonder if Shaw in particular isn't a strong clue here? We spent a fair bit on Fox in CL, and the widely held view was we were improving on what we already had and he would step up to the mark if we got promoted, which we did. Only then we try and sign Buttner (clear sign NA does not think Fox is up to it in PL), who ends up at MU but is not really a great success. We continue with Fox, and only when we are in dire straights do we try Shaw - who turns out to be excellent and easily better than all of the above! Add to that, that we potentially have another one or two left backs nearly as good or better in future, and makes you wonder why we didn't make more effort in areas we were much weaker in (CB, Keeper).

Possibly to a lesser extend you could make the same argument for JWP - played a lot early on and then did not get a look in - is he any worse than some lately?? So possibly NC did not see NA as having the best judgement on when to introduce the academy plays with ability at the right time - not all at once but one or two when they were good enough?

In fact we did spend one tenth of 12 million on a player who isn't much older than Gaston today and who is of a level equal or superior to his. Best thing Lowe ever did but then how much of that credit we owe of that to Georges Prost I couldn't say.

but then how much of that credit we owe of that to Georges Prost I couldn't say.

I think we owe a lot of things to Georges Prost.

Is anyone else starting to have WTF moments?

Mourinho contacts SAINTS and tells us to sign up MP?

I mean hang on, nobody knows who we are...

Starting to worry that we may have to dig out that Stadium Expansion thread

It is very WTF. I mean Mourinho! Third party though so that tempers it a little and it is Belague as well, who seems to have a little bit of a man crush on MP.

Is anyone else starting to have WTF moments?

Mourinho contacts SAINTS and tells us to sign up MP?

I mean hang on, nobody knows who we are...

Starting to worry that we may have to dig out that Stadium Expansion thread

Not really Phil, this has been coming for a while. The dell sized dinosaurs on this site are soon to be extinct. Cortese has said from day one where we are going. People don't like him so they knock him, people don't like change so they stick their fingers in the ear and laugh at the rest of us, whilst all the time they have been making fools of themselves. I may not like NC, (not right now at least) but I won't be questioning his decision making unless the military police get us relegated. We survive this period of upheval and we are on our way imho. Don't think there can to much left to argue about.

Best youth set up in england.

Stealing 2 players (possibly 3) from Liverpool in a season.

Getting a manager recommended to us by "the special one"

Shaw, JWP et al

This is our chance, if we don't feck it up then we will be a top english club for years to come. Now I am going to go an question whether that is what I want, or whether I liked "the Adkins way" Because cold calculating scicillian bankers and global plastic fans is not what I associate with Saints. So if this is to happen, then we need to find a way, as a club or a fanbase, to keep the fans the same.