Redknapp

CFSFC

Am I the only one not even bothered about Redknapp?

I blame Lowe and Wigley more than him for our relegation, and the season that followed was one big Lowe circus and I don't blame Redknapp one bit for wanting to get out of the club and go on a spending spree down the road.

Amen. He may of took us down, but the man is in the top ten English managers of All-Time IMHO.

I blame Lowe and Wigley more than him for our relegation, and the season that followed was one big Lowe circus and I don't blame Redknapp one bit for wanting to get out of the club and go on a spending spree down the road.

I think you may be one of very few. I think it was the manner of our relagation, and the fact that Redknapp later admitted that he couldn't give a toss. Understand why people don't like Lowe, but it shoudn't distract from how awful and lazy redknapp was. As I said earlier....

You well be right re Redknapp but you gotta to admit Lowe placed certain restraints around his neck that made things inevitable that he would fail. The two men were totally incompatible.

I'll grant you that this was the case once we were down. The FA cup 'youth team', SCW coming in, the Tejera affair, Clifford and his supersoccer - it was not a happy ship.

However this was after 'Arry had been backed fully, shown he couldn't give a toss, and taken us down. Not sure why people are bringing up the other stuff, it was after Redknapp had already shown his incompetence!

I also like to see a league table of money spent on wages/transfer fees to points ratio before we judge his results elsewhere...

Amen. He may of took us down, but the man is in the top ten English managers of All-Time IMHO.

Draw up a list of all the things he has won as a manager, include all of his promotions, and this is what you get :

Bournemouth

West Ham United

Portsmouth

Tottenham Hotspur

Take away the 'bought' FA Cup with the Skates and the cupboard is pretty bare for such a media darling.

Draw up a list of all the things he has won as a manager, include all of his promotions, and this is what you get :

Bournemouth

West Ham United

Portsmouth

Tottenham Hotspur

Take away the 'bought' FA Cup with the Skates and the cupboard is pretty bare for such a media darling.

And the Divison one title was due to Mandaric gave them megabucks (prosinescki, merson et al) whilst the rest of the division held fire sales following the collapse of ITV digital. Talk about a repuation built on sand(banks)

Bournemouth

West Ham United

Portsmouth

Tottenham Hotspur

Draw up a list of all the things David Moyes has won as a manager and it similarly adds up to eff all.

He's won jack sh it.

I despise Redknapp but it is really tiresome to say he hasn't been successful when he clearly has, at four seperate clubs. He just has.

I don't count his success with the skates...as it's because of that they're in the position they are in now.

He was relatively successful at spurs but he did inherit a really good side when he went there. Who else was he successful with?!? West ham? Maybe...but once again he inherited a good side there. Yes he deserves credit for the jobs he did there, but I think they did well despite him not because I him. The media just buzz off him because he is a friendly cockney who tells them stuf whic sells them papers. Also he is a dodgy transfer dealer so that fills papers. Don't think he is that great at all. When he has been struggling he has jumped ship, not turned it aroud

I despise Redknapp but it is really tiresome to say he hasn't been successful when he clearly has, at four seperate clubs. He just has.

I was responding to the claim he is amongst the top ten English managers "of all time". In my opinion, he fails to get near Herbert Chapman, Bobby Robson, Alf Ramsey, Bill Nicholson, Brian Clough, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Don Revie, Howard Kendall, or Ron Saunders. ( I think that's ten ! )

I was responding to the claim he is amongst the top ten English managers "of all time". In my opinion, he fails to get near Herbert Chapman, Bobby Robson, Alf Ramsey, Bill Nicholson, Brian Clough, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Don Revie, Howard Kendall, or Ron Saunders. ( I think that's ten ! )

That claim was posted by an obvious forum troll. Redknapp clearly not an all time great. But by the same token he is not the fraud/failure/etc some on here like to claim.

I think you may be one of very few. I think it was the manner of our relagation, and the fact that Redknapp later admitted that he couldn't give a toss. Understand why people don't like Lowe, but it shoudn't distract from how awful and lazy redknapp was. As I said earlier....

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the bloke, he's a skate ***t. I just don't get this wanting him to die nonsense.

Fact is when we were relegated, Saints fans in general wanted Redknapp to stay as manager. Even the following season when Redknapp didn't look motivated I don't remember any "Redknapp Out" chants. Lowe d!cking about with Sturrock and Wigley got us relegated, and his messing about with rugby coaches and nobodies like Clifford meant Redknapp was never going to be happy the following season. The hatred for Redknapp only appeared when and because he went to portsmouth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the bloke, he's a skate ***t. I just don't get this wanting him to die nonsense.

Fact is when we were relegated, Saints fans in general wanted Redknapp to stay as manager. Even the following season when Redknapp didn't look motivated I don't remember any "Redknapp Out" chants. Lowe d!cking about with Sturrock and Wigley got us relegated, and his messing about with rugby coaches and nobodies like Clifford meant Redknapp was never going to be happy the following season. The hatred for Redknapp only appeared when and because he went to portsmouth.

Yeah but...I think it's once he left that he really p*ssed off a lot of Saints fans. Declaring his "heart wasn't in it" (just what you want to hear when you've been fighting for your life), "it was a mistake going there" and the fact he then went back down the M27. And this is all after that little wink to you-know-who the day his team put in the most gutless performance ever witnessed from a Saints side.

Personally I'll put a little more energy into driving my team forward for a crucial 3 points on Saturday rather than saggy constantly distracting me. I will give it to him when he shows his chops tho.

Draw up a list of all the things David Moyes has won as a manager and it similarly adds up to eff all.

He's won jack sh it.

How many clubs has Moyes bankrupted in is pursuit of silverware though?

Still can't get over the lack of respect for this man on here. Yes we are allowed to and do hold a grudge against him for what he did to us and his history with the blue few, BUT to play down his achievements, say he spends recklessly, ruins clubs, is not fit to manage England and is just overall a poor manager is utter nonsense.

Folks need to to take off their Saints-tinted glasses and see Mr. Redknapp for what he really is - a quality football manager.

He's won jack sh it.

Lets not forget his other top achievements:

1977 Soccer Bowl losing finalist (but his team did lose to Pele - no not that one, the real one)

1989 Relegated Bournemouth

2005 Relegated Southampton

2013 Relegated QPR (To Be Confirmed)

No idea why you are comparing him with Moyes, since he is a Scot, and clearly has not won much, nevertheless his consistent finishes with an underfunded Everton are quite remarkable. But really Redknapps's managerial achievements while not exacvtly rubbish really are no great shakes in a managerial career that spans nearly 40 years. He has some short term success but is never able to build on it because he falls out with the chairman/runs out of money/can't buy players/ - take your choice.

We were 17th when Redknapp took over. We finished 20th.

Just saying.

Still can't get over the lack of respect for this man on here. Yes we are allowed to and do hold a grudge against him for what he did to us and his history with the blue few, BUT to play down his achievements, say he spends recklessly, ruins clubs, is not fit to manage England and is just overall a poor manager is utter nonsense.

Folks need to to take off their Saints-tinted glasses and see Mr. Redknapp for what he really is - a quality football manager.

1. He blatantly only took the job in the first place to spite Mandaric.

2. He came in and immediately started spouting off to anybody who would listen that the squad of players he had was not good enough to stay up (getting his excuses in early for when it went tits-up).

3. He made some awful signings and totally disrupted the squad

4. He publicly humiliated the academy kids by setting them up to fail in the cup game at Mansfield so he could prove a point to Lowe

5. Then he admitted after leaving that he was never really bothered about the job in the first place.

Seriously, how much respect do you think he is gonna get on this board?

The only place he has ever really done well at is Spurs, but they seem to be happily doing well without him so his actual influence there is questionable. As others have pointed out, you really can't cite his time at Pompey as a success as it was built on completely unsustainable debt and therefore doesn't count (Jesus - even I could get a football team promoted from the Championship given the funds he was allowed to play with) so taking those out of the equation, what has he really ever achieved?

To be fair...Arrys dog is a better football Manager/football coach...:rolleyes:

Well done that Mut for looking after the dosh and briefing Jordan and Bond on a daily basis on training/coaching and team tactics.

Mind you the little mongrel seems to have lost the scent at QPR.

Throw Arry a bone for his achievements in Football.

Without the dog......Arry could not even read, write, use a mobile or a computer:D

Based in what, exactly?

Are you joe Jordan ffs?

It's called being objective and giving credit where credit is due. "Delldays" did the same thing about Wenger in another thread, defending him relentlessly, basically did everything but suck the man's ****. Nobody accused him of being a suspicious identity, WUM, troll, etc. Interesting that it's just me who gets this treatment?

Because Wenger built one of the best teams the prem has ever seen and has even successful year in year out for years.

Redknapp on the other hand has bankrupted 3 clubs and achieved **** all. Doesn't have a clue when it comes to bringing through young talent. Tactics are generally poor an uses the media to make people feel sorry for him. He deserves all he gets this Saturday. To call him one of the most successful managers in English history is just clueless. The only way you can genuinely think that is if you're a skate.

Because Wenger built one of the best teams the prem has ever seen and has even successful year in year out for years.

Redknapp on the other hand has bankrupted 3 clubs and achieved **** all. Doesn't have a clue when it comes to bringing through young talent. Tactics are generally poor an uses the media to make people feel sorry for him. He deserves all he gets this Saturday. To call him one of the most successful managers in English history is just clueless. The only way you can genuinely think that is if you're a skate.

To each his own then, I think Wenger is a money-grubbing **** relying on his scouts buying young talent only to inevitably allow selling them once they realize their potential at a substantial profit. The past eight years he's been living off his former glory days. Harry on the other hand is very much in demand and Tony Fernandes knew if there was one man who could save QPR from the drop it would be Redknapp. His track record with middle of the road clubs (never likely to win trophies) is fantastic and that is without the quality at that french ****'s disposal. That is the sign of a quality manager and the fact Harry was touted as England boss says it all. The man is a rare commodity these days in being a top, top, top English manager.

Edited by 110_Persaint

Since the start of the premier league era at least his record has been impeccable (us excepted of course). Takes average teams and propels them to dizzying heights.

I'd be inclined to say takes clearly underperforming teams and makes them vaguely competent, then spends extortionately to get success in the short term at the expense of the future of the club.

I'm still not sure how the Skates stayed up in 2003 or 2004 to be honest, but the Spurs side he took over were 11th the previous season and 5th the year before and clearly massively under-performing with 2 points from 8 matches when he took over, and they finished 8th, totally in line with their previous two seasons.

In getting that upper-midtable side to finish... upper midtable, he spent at least £39m on 3 successful established Premier League players, and you'd expect them to make a bit of a difference...

Jermain Defoe Portsmouth £15,000,000 06 Jan, 2009

Wilson Palacios Wigan £12,000,000 21 Jan, 2009

Robbie Keane Liverpool £12,000,000 02 Feb, 2009

Carlo Cudicini Chelsea Free 26 Jan, 2009

Pascal Chimbonda Sunderland Signed 26 Jan, 2009

Then the following season he bought 3 of Portsmouth's mercenaries (Crouch, Kranjcar and Kaboul) for a bargain £12.5m when they needed the cash... and only spent another £16m on Bassong and Sandro... plus Gareth Bale finally came good doing all the things he'd done for Saints anyway, and all of a sudden, having only spent upwards of £70m on an entire team, they were finishing... 4th for one season.

I'm pretty sure a dog with a pack of cards and £70m could improve a team which ALREADY featured Woodgate , Corluka, Bale, Lennon, Modric, Pavlyuchenko and Bent with Dawson amongst the subs.

And everywhere else he's either the manager prior to adminstration, or relegation, or both.

I'd be inclined to say takes clearly underperforming teams and makes them vaguely competent, then spends extortionately to get success in the short term at the expense of the future of the club.

I'm still not sure how the Skates stayed up in 2003 or 2004 to be honest, but the Spurs side he took over were 11th the previous season and 5th the year before and clearly massively under-performing with 2 points from 8 matches when he took over, and they finished 8th, totally in line with their previous two seasons.

In getting that upper-midtable side to finish... upper midtable, he spent at least £39m on 3 successful established Premier League players, and you'd expect them to make a bit of a difference...

Jermain Defoe Portsmouth £15,000,000 06 Jan, 2009

Wilson Palacios Wigan £12,000,000 21 Jan, 2009

Robbie Keane Liverpool £12,000,000 02 Feb, 2009

Carlo Cudicini Chelsea Free 26 Jan, 2009

Pascal Chimbonda Sunderland Signed 26 Jan, 2009

Then the following season he bought 3 of Portsmouth's mercenaries (Crouch, Kranjcar and Kaboul) for a bargain £12.5m when they needed the cash... and only spent another £16m on Bassong and Sandro... plus Gareth Bale finally came good doing all the things he'd done for Saints anyway, and all of a sudden, having only spent upwards of £70m on an entire team, they were finishing... 4th for one season.

I'm pretty sure a dog with a pack of cards and £70m could improve a team which ALREADY featured Woodgate , Corluka, Bale, Lennon, Modric, Pavlyuchenko and Bent with Dawson amongst the subs.

And everywhere else he's either the manager prior to adminstration, or relegation, or both.

****ing hell, i actually agree with you.

To each his own then, I think Wenger is a money-grubbing **** relying on his scouts buying young talent only to inevitably allow selling them once they realize their potential at a substantial profit. The past eight years he's been living off his former glory days. Harry on the other hand is very much in demand and Tony Fernandes knew if there was one man who could save QPR from the drop it would be Redknapp. His track record with middle of the road clubs (never likely to win trophies) is fantastic and that is without the quality at that french ****'s disposal. That is the sign of a quality manager and the fact Harry was touted as England boss says it all. The man is a rare commodity these days in being a top, top, top English manager.

You've sort of missed the bit where Arsenal have been paying off a massively expensive new stadium then, yet Wenger's still somehow managed to get them into the Champions League every year despite basically having to sell in order to fund purchases ? He still somehow manages it.

Always thought Redknapp is a bluffer that uses clubs cash to hide his own tactical inadequacies. Such a hypocrite one minute saying its a disgrace having all these players at QPR signed up on big money yet when he becomes manager spends a shed load. I'm so glad he's nowhere near our great club. No idea on finances, getting players at Pompey on big money when the gates were so poor. Just a complete bell end really that loves the sound of his own voice. When QPR lose he goes on about how crap the players were when they got a win a few weeks back it was all about what work he did on the training ground !!!!

I hope he relentlessly gets it today! It appears the footballing world are wising up to the twitch with the newspaper article on another thread and STAND AMF on twitter speaking the truth. All together now, ''he's gonna twitch in a minute...''

We were 20th holding the record for closest ever finish to 17th. Only goal difference made us bottom.

Just saying.

The three promoted teams that year were the worst in living memory, and Redknapp still managed to finish below all of them - even if it was "20th holding the record for closest ever finish to 17th".

West Brom stayed up (managed by Bryan Robson for Christ's sake!) with just 34 points, the lowest ever required for a Premier League team to avoid relegation.