WBA Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Finally the first game of the season. Last seasons boogie team who probably had their two easiest wins of the season against us. No Lukaku for them who as we all know tore our defence a new one.

I reckon we'll nick a point for this one 2-2 with Wanyama scoring the equaliser on his league debut late on.

Team for me:

Boruc

Clyne (if fit) Lovren Maya Fox

Cork Schniederlin

Puncheon Wanyama JRod

Lambert

Subs: Davis, Guly, Ward-Prowse, Mayuka, Ramirez, Lallana, Chambers

Ramirez and Lallana 2nd half subs to open the game up a bit more.

For those wanting to know more about the Baggies please refer to the genius scouting report completed by Bearsy:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?46020-Scouting-Report-West-Bromwich-Albion

COYR!

Edited by Wiggles31

Think it'll be the team that started on Saturday TBH (injuries permitting)...

Boruc

Chambers (Clyne) Lovren Hooiveld Fox (Shaw)

Wanyama Schneiderlin

Lallana Guly JayRod *

Lambert

* The front four swapped positions throughout the first half.

- - - - - - Boruc

Chambers - Lovren - Hooiveld - Fox

- - Wanyama - - Schneiderlin

Lallana - - Guly - - Rodriguez

- - - - - Lambert

Judging on performances yesterday i think that will be the team, Im also taking into account Yoshida and Ramirez will both playing a international match in Japan and the late start to pre-season.

Think it'll be the team that started on Saturday TBH (injuries permitting)...

Boruc

Chambers (Clyne) Lovren Hooiveld Fox (Shaw)

Wanyama Schneiderlin

Lallana Guly JayRod *

Lambert

* The front four swapped positions throughout the first half.

HaHa snap!

The front four did play well and had alot of movement between them same reason for me

Boruc

Chambers Dejan Jos Fox

Morgan Wanyama

Lallana Guly JRod

Lambert

So basically the team that's already been mentioned. Judging from last season I think Pochettino prefers Jos to Yoshida in the other centre back spot.

I disagree with the OP's bench though - only Chambers as a sub defensively? Even if that team is correct (which it won't be) one of Fonte or Jos would be on the bench.

Looking forward to this - although unlike last season when we had pretty much nothing to lose (and a hard start), I'm rather more apprehensive about this season. Sign a striker by September 2nd (and even a bonus creative midfielder) and I'd be a lot less nervous.

These teams all look pretty decent but there is one recurring theme that makes me shudder every time I see it...

XYZ

XYZ XYZ JOS FOX

XYZ XYZ

XYZ XYZ XYZ

XYZ

Those 2 playing alongside each other are giving me giving hauntingly crisp memories of early last season and the Newcastle away game. Please don't let this happen MoPo. Would rather play Yoshida despite his lack of fitness. A 60% fit Yoshida is 10x better than Hoof-veld, sorry, Hooiveld.

Fox doesn't worry me. Does a solid backup job. For 2/3 games he'll be fine as long as he plays alongside a competent LCB. Alongside Hooiveld - teams will have a field day.

Has Fox's suspension expired in time for this game then?

----------------BORUC----------------

CLYNE----LOVREN----HOOIVELD----FOX

-----------BIGVIC----MORGAN---------

JAYROD--------LALLANA----------GULY

---------------LAMBERT---------------

Subs: K.Davis, Chambers, Fonte, Cork, S.Davis, Puncheon, Mayuka

If Clyne isn't fit then Chambers in at RB. Guly playing left to offer cover for Fox, hopefully then he won't get caught out of position too much.

Edited by SuperMikey

Horrendous typo from me! Blame the Stella.

You can't spell 'bogey' but you can spell 'horrendous'? That Stella really is special ;)

As for the lineup I think makr27 got it right - Jos, Fox and Guly will all start against WBA. That will leave a very divided group of boo boys who are spoilt for choice. Heck, Lallana's there too and Ramirez will probably also play a part. So many boos, so little time :(

You can't spell 'bogey' but you can spell 'horrendous'? That Stella really is special ;)

As for the lineup I think makr27 got it right - Jos, Fox and Guly will all start against WBA. That will leave a very divided group of boo boys who are spoilt for choice. Heck, Lallana's there too and Ramirez will probably also play a part. So many boos, so little time :(

Boo boys being players who aren't actually booed but who are often criticised for their obvious faults? Perhaps your last sentence should read, 'no actual boos whatsoever, so little time.'

Interesting how if someone has a negative opinion of a player it's an opinion, however if a large number of people happen to share that opinion, the player then becomes a boo boy.

It was a 3 match ban and he and Ramirez missed the Tottenham, Sunderland and Stoke games at the end of last season.

Thanks MLG, I was hoping you'd pop up and answer that question. It feels like so long ago now, I couldn't remember how many games he was out for.

Boo boys being players who aren't actually booed but who are often criticised for their obvious faults? Perhaps your last sentence should read, 'no actual boos whatsoever, so little time.'

Interesting how if someone has a negative opinion of a player it's an opinion, however if a large number of people happen to share that opinion, the player then becomes a boo boy.

Hey, stop ruining my unreasonable generalisations! :wave:

Fwiw, I actually meant people booing at the stadium, not criticising online. But now I'm unsure how many of the players I mentioned that have actually been booed (IRL ;))?

I'm really against splitting up Morgan and Cork. That was the biggest positive of our team last season and people seem happy to ditch it. Morgan was outstanding, but don't underestimate how much of that comes down to a successful partnership. No way does Cork deserve to be dropped.

Hope we go fairly solid and play all 3, hopefully hard to beat.

Boruc

Chambers Lovren Yoshida Fox

Cork Morgan Wanyama

JRod Lambert Lallana

Really could be difficult if Yoshi isn't fit, basically the reserve defence plus a new signing. Hopefully Cork can help out at right back though. Still think that side would give them a really good game. Be very happy with a draw though, it's still a tough place to go.

I agree. Cork has done nothing to deserve being dropped so quickly. I hope he finds room for all three.

I want to see j rod isolate lugano one on one as he is immobile and struggles against pace.

Lugano may not start but all their defence is slow, I sit next to a WBA season ticket holder and he thinks Olson may be one of the slowest players in the league, if not the slowest.

Seems so, but I think that will cost us. Both good players but partnerships don't come easily and we had a great one.
Agreed. It is a gamble and one that will only pay off if Wanyama is able to replicate Cork's partnership with Schneiderlin and match his defensive work while chipping in with the attacking contribution that Cork lacked. Trying to think back to Saturday's game, was it Wanyama that wad dispossessed for their 2nd goal and easily bypassed for their 3rd? He's got a lot to live up to, but I guess that's what makes top Premier League players and teams.

flagtwitter_normal.jpgWBAFCofficial@WBAFCofficial

Albion have signed Udinese striker Matej Vydra (@vydra_92) on a season-long loan. pic.twitter.com/nNcjIZTxAn

That's a good signing, but again, if he ends up a superstar it's just another loan.

Seems so, but I think that will cost us. Both good players but partnerships don't come easily and we had a great one.

For what it's worth Schneiderlin and Wanyama seem to have gelled very quickly. Looked on the ball against Sociedad

MP and NC seem to be treating Cork appalingly.

We let 3 goals in at home on Saturday so difficult to see that Schneiderlin and Wanyama as defensive mids " have gelled very quickly".

To me VW looks to be too heavy and cumbersome and his feet are very, very slow....

With no Cork and no Shaw it feels a lot like the start of last season. The only saving grace is that we have got an easier start and may scramble a few points early on...

We let 3 goals in at home on Saturday so difficult to see that Schneiderlin and Wanyama as defensive mids " have gelled very quickly".

Two of the goals resulted from long balls which the defence failed to deal with and the third was a goalkeeping error from Davis. Not sure how that implicates Schneiderlin and Wanyama...

They both had a good game and look very comfortable playing together.

MP and NC seem to be treating Cork appalingly.

To me VW looks to be too heavy and cumbersome and his feet are very, very slow....

With no Cork and no Shaw it feels a lot like the start of last season. The only saving grace is that we have got an easier start and may scramble a few points early on...

I think the issue with Cork was one I spotted last season, and probably wasn't alone with it. Whilst Cork worked his socks off and in games, Swansea away springs to mind, he looked like he had been cloned and there were 2 of him on the pitch, it just seemed like when the 18yrd box homed into view it was protected by an invisible Jack Cork force field that made him dither and dally, the crowd would see a gap and scream for him to shoot but invariably he would pass to someone else after a bit of thought, by which time the opposition had organised themselves after having been carved open by our quick attacking play. Morgan by comparison would just steam on.

So maybe in Wanyama they have seen a player who coupled with Morgan possibly makes our midfield a bit more of an attacking force on 2 fronts which is in keeping with the style Pochettino likes to play.

And going on Saturdays game that looks like the Brazilian ethos of you score 3 we'll score 4 might become a feature of the season.

We'd been more solid and tough to beat with Davis ahead of Cork/Morgan. I thought that's where VW would play, adding more power and goal threat. That would be a real improvement to the team. The likely line-up seems very attacking for an away game and a big change in the centre. Whoever is playing in front of the CMs has a big job to do.

Looks like Guly might start too which I find odd when Puncheon is available.

Better defensive cover? He is much better at tracking back then Adam/Punch and Danny Fox will need all the help he can get.

Stoke away last year springs to mind. He was immense that day ( Until his open goal miss that turned the game, he was shot after that.)

Edited by Colinjb

I'd hope that if we start a weakened defence with no Clyne, Yoshida or Shaw that MP would start Wanyama, Cork and Morgan in a 4-3-3 formation - would certainly make us harder to get through, and Morgan could probably push up if needed.

The front line looked good and fluid against Real Sociedad, I think Puncheon could be our super-sub for this season, and would be a great injection of pace against an already-sluggish defence after 65 minutes of play. Would be good to see Isgrove get a bit of game time too, can see him doing well against WBA's style of play.

-------------------Boruc

-----------Lovren Yosh Fonte

-----Wanyama Schneiderlin Cork

Puncheon----------------------Rodriguez

-----------------Ramirez

-----------------Lambert

A perfect formation to counter West Bromwich Albion, who famously play all their players down the middle.