Norwich vs Saints match thread

JackFrost

Wanyama not at the races today which is frustrating because there is a lot of space in midfield due to their high-pressing game, and simply having Fox on the pitch is inviting a lot of pressure down our left.

We need to change things at half time to get a foothold in this game.

Half time thoughts: Clear penalty denied, Wanyama has looked pretty awful given the high standard he has already set. Lallana looks brilliant in his 200th appearance (per commentator I had no idea of the number) we seem to be employing the long ball quite effectively (a tactic that has been used so successfully against us when we press high as Norwich are doing,) Osvaldo appears keen to impress but maybe a bit too eager (understandable) and Boruc is awesome as ever.

I dont want to jump on the bandwagon, but Fox has been very poor at left back. Decent going forwards, but once Norwich hit us on the break, Fox isnt to be seen on the LB position.

Wanyama hasnt been great today either, losing to many balls. JWP and Chambers having a good game, really starting to become a fan JWP, amazing free kicks. Chambers making some good runs down the right. Lallana also showing his class today.

On the plus side Fonte and Lovren have defended well, even if their distribution has been poor and Chambers has kept Redmond relatively quiet. Lallana has also played well.

Osvaldo is not on the same wavelength as the rest of the team, Lambert has been very quiet and Wanyama's passing has been very poor.

I dont want to jump on the bandwagon, but Fox has been very poor at left back. Decent going forwards, but once Norwich hit us on the break, Fox isnt to be seen on the LB position.

Wanyama hasnt been great today either, losing to many balls. JWP and Chambers having a good game, really starting to become a fan JWP, amazing free kicks. Chambers making some good runs down the right. Lallana also showing his class today.

Due to where Lallana is playing, Fox is usually left stuck marking two men it's not surprising he's having problems.

Edited by farawaysaint

Being pressed high, could get some joy on the counter if we had some pace in the side.

Sort of game where Rodriguez could cause lots of problems for Norwich.

Agree.

All in all we've been poor. We didn't get the ball under control in their half too often but when we did we did threaten (even if we didn't create any real chances).

The team is lacking width (even if it became a bit better when Chambers started pushing up a bit). We're missing Shaw on the left, there's acres of space there and no-one attacking it. For me Rodriguez could provide that width from a more attacking position but who should come off? Lallana has been good do perhaps JWP could come off with Lallana becoming a right winger/inside forward? A real shame because his deliveries from freekicks are awesome.

We have been quite poor, imo. Only Boruc, Fonte and Lallana doing themselves justice.

I think Johnson must have some dodgy phots of Howard Webb. How that wasn't a penalty I will never know; and he should have had at least one yellow, if not two - and the worst foul of all, hacking AL down right in front of the ref, didn't even earn us a free-kick!!

To be fair, both fullbacks are often exposed to two-on-ones so we need to close down that more.

We need better link-up between defending players and attacking players.

But it´s an away game, often you have to endure a first tough half where the home team wants to put pressure on you. Wear that out and regroup for a second half is often a gameplan you have to go to, even if you try something else from the off of course.

On the plus side Fonte and Lovren have defended well, even if their distribution has been poor and Chambers has kept Redmond relatively quiet. Lallana has also played well.

Osvaldo is not on the same wavelength as the rest of the team, Lambert has been very quiet and Wanyama's passing has been very poor.

Osvaldo seemed to be on the same wave length as gaston last week, think we all know we need to try it and rickie + osvaldo are 2 guys going for the same position. Rickie hasn't scored from open play at all this season including england and I am up for giving the 15m Italian national striker a go and get someone on who thinks like him.

Think it was commented on last year that gaston does such intelligent through balls etc only Adam was the only guy who could read him ?

This could stimulate rickie into scoring so I will take the credit for that as well :-)

In 1977 when Star Wars came out before Fox was born he was ****, in 2015 when the 7th movie of the Franchise comes out he will still be ****.

Daniel Fox is **** full stop at footballing.

Wanyama being given plenty of ball and space but very poor distribution - maybe the Celtic fans were right. JWP free kicks ineffective - generally too flighted. Osvaldo not offering much - a slightly more energetic version of Gaston. Rickie invisible. Lallana pick of the bunch up front, but doing most of it on his own.

Our pen shout as obvious as you will see all season as the beardy guy pulled off a diving save with both hands. Theirs not a pen - hit (whos?) hands in front of body from much closer range.

Lets hope its a game of two halves.

Due to where Lallana is playing, Fox is usually left stuck marking two men it's not surprising he's having problems.
When Lallana is playing no one has an opportunity to do anything. He takes over everything but rarely to our advantage.