Jesus of Nazareth - A Christmas debate

Mole

Freedom Fighter and the son of god

or

The original Palestinian Terrorist

My personal view is that Pontius Pilate was infact the good guy in the whole Jesus story, but has been demonised by Biblical propaganda written by profiteering monks years later.

Discuss.

One man's Freedom Fighter is another man's terrorist.

The issue I have with the whole Jesus story is that for the prophecies to work, he HAD to die, which means that Herod, Pilate, and even Judas were not acting from free will or malice, but following the path that fate ( God ? ) had mapped out for them. If any one of the three had made a different decision, the whole PR plan leading up to the betrayal, the crucifixion, and the resurrection could have failed.

or

My personal view is that Pontius Pilate was infact the good guy in the whole Jesus story, but has been demonised by Biblical propaganda written by profiteering monks years later.

Discuss.

FFS, you don't even have the knowledge to start an argument properly. If you did, you would know that there is more accusation for the Bible being anti-semitic than demonising Pilate.

Had you ever bothered to look at the New Testament, you would know that very little blame is assigned to Pontius Pilate. Jesus was tried by a Jewish judicial body, who did not have the authority to execute him, so was taken to Pilate with the charge of sedition against Rome. As it was passover and Pilate doesn't seem to have been convinced, he offered to let go one of the prisoners. The Jewish crowd elected that Barrabas, an insurrectionary and murderer, should be released instead. In the Gospel of Matthew (Biblical propaganda), Pilate then washes his hands before the crowd and says "I am innocent of this man's blood; you will see."

You also need to find definitions for freedom fighter and terrorist as Jesus, whoever he may or may not have been, doesn't fit into either.

Why don't you toddle off back to the main board and your Rupert Lowe threads?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

or

Discuss.

Wow, racist and anti-Semitic as well as a BNP supporter.

What a joy you must be to your so-proud family.

or

Discuss.

or

There is no such thing. The whole bible thing, in my humble opinion, always was, and always will be, a story that some unfortunate people have decided is real so that they can use it as a crutch for their mental/emotional weaknesses.

anti-semitic? How do you work that one? Me thinks you are a tad out of your intellectual depth DSM. Try Wikipedia - it's always a good place to start for the ignorant.

or

There is no such thing. The whole bible thing, in my humble opinion, always was, and always will be, a story that some unfortunate people have decided is real so that they can use it as a crutch for their mental/emotional weaknesses.

Erm, no such thing as what? Jesus or the bible?

Erm, no such thing as what? Jesus or the bible?

Well I don't know if anyone that actually existed is/was called Jesus, I would expect so. I know the bible does exist as in it is a book, but then so does the tiger who came to tea book and I don't believe that ever happened either. It's just a story book. Not that i'm knocking story books, some of them are great :cool: The funnybones is my personal favourite atm.

So to answer your question I guess 'both' would be the most appropriate response if you using bible to mean do I think the stories within it exist, and by Jesus you mean the stories of the things he did.

Well I don't know if anyone that actually existed is/was called Jesus, I would expect so. I know the bible does exist as in it is a book, but then so does the tiger who came to tea book and I don't believe that ever happened either. It's just a story book. Not that i'm knocking story books, some of them are great :cool: The funnybones is my personal favourite atm.

So to answer your question I guess 'both' would be the most appropriate response if you using bible to mean do I think the stories within it exist, and by Jesus you mean the stories of the things he did.

I was being facetious (and a bit of a pedant). I knew what you meant really ;)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
anti-semitic? How do you work that one? Me thinks you are a tad out of your intellectual depth DSM. Try Wikipedia - it's always a good place to start for the ignorant.

Gosh, I never realised my intellectual limitations until now. Thank you for pointing them out to me. I shall return my degrees forthwith and apply for work in a less taxing industry than Law.

Jews believe that Jesus was a Jew who was born in Bethlehem, raised in Galilee, and killed in Jerusalem. Like other Jews in his day, Jesus spoke and wrote the Aramaic language. His own Aramaic name was Yeshua.

http://judaism.about.com/od/beliefs/a/jesus.htm

Therefore calling Jesus (man or son of God) a terrorist is, in my mind, an anti-Semitic statement as the person to whom you are referring is not just that, a person, but someone who is integral to the faith of a whole religion.

Gosh, I never realised my intellectual limitations until now. Thank you for pointing them out to me. I shall return my degrees forthwith and apply for work in a less taxing industry than Law.

Therefore calling Jesus (man or son of God) a terrorist is, in my mind, an anti-Semitic statement as the person to whom you are referring is not just that, a person, but someone who is integral to the faith of a whole religion.

So what?

"Someone" is integral to many movements, religous, politicial or otherwise. It shouldn't affect a person's ability to call them anything they want. You should argue against them with reason if you disagree, not due to some sort of protected status and certainly not with a lazy labelling of some sort of "ism" du jour.

I may think Stalin was a terrorist, but that doesn't mean I harbour ill-will to all Communists.

The key word from your statement is "in my mind". I don't think you knew what you were talking about with your original post and only after visiting Wikipedia did you realise what a plonker your statement made you look. You then desperately went searching for a marginal viewpoint to try to dig yourself out of the hole because you cannot handle being shown up for being a bit clueless. Hey presto you come up with the above link.

DSM let me educate you on anti-semtism in relation to religion. Anti-semitics "hate" jews because they believe Jews killed Jesus the son of god. Therefore your whole argument is complete and utter nonsense. That said feel free to carry on as i'm enjoying laughing at your ignorance.

So what?

"Someone" is integral to many movements, religous, politicial or otherwise. It shouldn't affect a person's ability to call them anything they want. You should argue against them with reason if you disagree, not due to some sort of protected status and certainly not with a lazy labelling of some sort of "ism" du jour.

I may think Stalin was a terrorist, but that doesn't mean I harbour ill-will to all Communists.

Benjii i wouldn't bother, DSM hasn't got a scooby. FACT.

or

Agreed. A series of events, that through chinese whispers have been blown well out of what originally happened.

You only have to bring one argument up where 'creationists' are concerned - dinosaurs. Watch them try and explain their existence and the complete lack of even a slight mention in the bible...

How is the view from your high horse?

The OP (by a moron) isn't anti-semetic in any way, shape or form.

wasnt the bible put together a few hundred years after jesus died in order to unite an ever unhappy population by the roman rulers...?

Yep, the Roman Empire became the Roman Catholic Church. A clever move and a very sucessful one if you think about it.

Jesus was not real, FACT.

No, no it's not a fact. Please do not state something which is wrong as FACT, as it just shows you up as a mong. Most historians agree that Jesus was a real person, was tried for sedition and was executed by the Romans. It is worth remembering that he is also regarded to have existed by Islam, as well as Christianity.

Whether he was the Son of God, a prophet or a Galilean fisherman with delusions of grandeur is an entirely separate issue.

I am very athiest but I still believe Jesus existed, and was probably a teacher of morals(some better than others). However, he was probably deluded as to his belief he was the son of God, if he did even believe that at the time. As many argue that the Bible was infact written hundreds of years after Jesus supposedly lived and then edited over centuries to benefit the church, we cannot be sure that anything that is written in the Bible is actually what Jesus said or did.

FFS, you don't even have the knowledge to start an argument properly. If you did, you would know that there is more accusation for the Bible being anti-semitic than demonising Pilate.

Had you ever bothered to look at the New Testament, you would know that very little blame is assigned to Pontius Pilate. Jesus was tried by a Jewish judicial body, who did not have the authority to execute him, so was taken to Pilate with the charge of sedition against Rome. As it was passover and Pilate doesn't seem to have been convinced, he offered to let go one of the prisoners. The Jewish crowd elected that Barrabas, an insurrectionary and murderer, should be released instead. In the Gospel of Matthew (Biblical propaganda), Pilate then washes his hands before the crowd and says "I am innocent of this man's blood; you will see."

You also need to find definitions for freedom fighter and terrorist as Jesus, whoever he may or may not have been, doesn't fit into either.

Why don't you toddle off back to the main board and your Rupert Lowe threads?

The more he posts the more he gets exposed.

Oh dear me!

We have mental patients who swear blind they are the son of God, so why couldn't they have them hundreds of years ago?

And there you have it - nail on head (imo, at least).

I believe that there can be little doubt that the man, Jesus of Nazareth, did indeed exist, and was probably done away with in something like the way depicted by popular history.

However, I also believe that he was mentally ill (a schizophrenic of some sort would be my guess) but clearly hugely charasmatic, and able to command a large following that hung on his every word.

So there.

And there you have it - nail on head (imo, at least).

I believe that there can be little doubt that the man, Jesus of Nazareth, did indeed exist, and was probably done away with in something like the way depicted by popular history.

However, I also believe that he was mentally ill (a schizophrenic of some sort would be my guess) but clearly hugely charasmatic, and able to command a large following that hung on his every word.

So there.

A bit like Rupey to the luvvies then!(except the large following bit) ;)

or

Discuss.

Not a terrorist or the son of god either. Just a man who saw what was needed in the situation. So good was/is the idea that it has lasted for 2000 years.

As a Christian myself, I find the whole idea of this thread completely insulting, and don't even know where to begin with it.

Fair enough, have your own opinions, but to start calling the man millions and millions of people around the world live and risk their life by a terrorist is nothing short insulting, racist and quite frankly a pathetic way of getting a few posters (probably like me) to bite.

I imagine if there was a thread debating whether or not Muhammed or Buddha was a terrorist would have b een locked within seconds.

As a Christian myself, I find the whole idea of this thread completely insulting, and don't even know where to begin with it.

Fair enough, have your own opinions, but to start calling the man millions and millions of people around the world live and risk their life by a terrorist is nothing short insulting, racist and quite frankly a pathetic way of getting a few posters (probably like me) to bite.

I imagine if there was a thread debating whether or not Muhammed or Buddha was a terrorist would have b een locked within seconds.

Millions and millions of people around the world also have no belief system like yours.

If you find a thread entitled Jesus of Nazereth - A Christmas Debate, insulting, why did you even bother to open it?

DSM let me educate you on anti-semtism in relation to religion. Anti-semitics "hate" jews because they believe Jews killed Jesus the son of god. Therefore your whole argument is complete and utter nonsense. That said feel free to carry on as i'm enjoying laughing at your ignorance.

The more he posts the more he gets exposed.

Oh dear me!

There hasn't been any argument against Stanley's anti-semitism definition, yet you insist he has been exposed....

Can you explain why you still hold this belief?