Gazzaniga Joins Spurs

Batman

Hmm, you may very well have a point but perhaps you could have put it a little less unpleasantly?

It's OK I can take it, Gazzaniga gets my goat and that's not going to change. He's a very poor keeper and whoever brought him to the club for an outrageous fee with 20 league 2 games in which he conceeded a shedload of goals needs shooting, perhaps he has been ..shot(or fired) that is.

That "poor judge of goalkeepers" just happened to be an ex-professional goalkeeper.

Look, I just don't like the appalling witch hunt of Gazzaniga on this site, he's 21 and learning.

Hoovield was dreadful again today including an own goal - he's the one people should be having a go at.

Its not a witch hunt its bloody obvious mate - he was absolutely appalling yesterday.

I have defended him in the past but today there is no way anyone can say that performance was acceptable.

The first 2 were down to him , we were comfortable yet he stays on his line like a frightened rabbit.

There were 3 occasions where he just froze and because Adebayor and Soildado couldnt shoot straight we got away with.

He is being well paid for a job we all would love to do o with that comes scrutiny and expectation - he is not up to itand that performance was probably the worst since Dave Mclaren and thats going back some.

As for witch hunt haven't you done the same for Jos?

Neither should play in the Prem again.....ever.

With the Keystone Kops of Jos, Gazza and Fox did anyone really expect anything other than this outcome?

I certainly didn't. We've been so unlucky with injuries, but these backups are truly awful. Gazza wasn't brought here as a 3rd team goalie, he's just been relegated to that position. Whoever scouted him, and whoever on the committee agreed to buy him should all be looking at themselves.

That's a two-way street. Gazzaniga has been brought in "over his head" - at least at this stage of his career, and it could be argued that the results have shattered his confidence as much as the other way around.

You want to try that with another young keeper?

Even if brought in "over his head" he is a professional goalkeeper. With every other young player we've tried since I've watched Saints you can see quality and gaps in their game. Noone can honestly say this about him. It's harsh truth but this isn't Sunday League stuff and he's already costing us places in the league come the end of the season. How old does he need to be to be able to command his 6 yard box?!

He is terrible, I get the whole he is only 21 rubbish but I have seen nothing that makes me believe he will ever be a decent keeper. He cant catch, he tries to punch but cant even do tgat properly. His kicking is poor, his decision making is non existant, he clearly doesnt command the box and to make matters worse he is even slower than Davis !!

Ive never seen him save anything !

Hooiveld and Fox are arguably as bad but jesus wept if we have to put up with those three we are screwed.

The chap seems rooted to his line, and when he rarely makes an excursion off it he gets the angles all wrong.

he's rooted to his line because virtually every time he comes off it he gets it wrong. Look at that incident early on at Toon (when Chambers cleared off the line) Gazza came out to the side of his left hand post and simply missed the ball leaving the Newcastle player to square it and another to have a tap in, fortunately cleared by Chambers as I said. Gazzaniga cannot possibly be the best we've got because if he is we are paying a couple of other dummies to do nothing at all. How can a lad who played in the U20 world cup be worse, answer me that.

If anyone has read the recently released book "The Nowhere Men" about scouting in English football, Gazzaniga gets several mentions while at Gillingham as the 'keeper from the lower leagues that many big clubs were watching and was destined for great things, so he must have something. I think he's just too nervous which makes him freeze and get everything wrong. Goalkeeper, more than any other position, is largely to do with having the right mentality and confidence - Boruc has it, Gazzaniga at this moment in time certainly doesn't.

Doubt it - a ridiculous post.

MP laughed off suggestions in the past that Gazza could go and play for Argentina (initially made by NA); he's under no illusions about his quality and where he is in his development.

Gazza is simply next in line - its not like Cropper has covered himself in glory in youth/development games, being prone to errors. Next.

Oh I agree entirely....but perhaps I should have posted this instead....where's your Christmas sense of humour?

" nothing to do with being Argentine, d'you think ? " :lol:

the main fault is not in the developing Gazzaniga, or the fact that KD is injured, too ..but we really should have TWO international-quality keepers.

Someone wrote that Cortese wanted another keeper when we came into the Prem. 2012, but NA was " happy with KD ". So much for that decision.

Aside from the occasional faux-pas ..... Artur has done a good job, but (like now) when he's unavailable... we've got no suitable replacement.

I don't care who comes (or goes) in the transfer window ..just as long as we get a decent keeper in before Jan.31st.

If anyone has read the recently released book "The Nowhere Men" about scouting in English football, Gazzaniga gets several mentions while at Gillingham as the 'keeper from the lower leagues that many big clubs were watching and was destined for great things, so he must have something. I think he's just too nervous which makes him freeze and get everything wrong. Goalkeeper, more than any other position, is largely to do with having the right mentality and confidence - Boruc has it, Gazzaniga at this moment in time certainly doesn't.

Good post . He's also TOO young (for my money). Bart looked a good prospect at one time, but having a handful of games every season is not the right mindset for a Prem.quality keeper.

Exactly. It comes with experience, and that's why you don't get young lads taking on the responsibility in first teams. It's blindingly obvious that Gazzaniga's problems are psychological. That's no consolation for us but, provided he's not permanently damaged by some of his experiences here, his talents will come out sooner or later even if it's for another club.

Stop letting Hooiveld get away with it, the 2nd goal is exclusively his fault. He does not have to be where he is, and even if he is he should never be facing our goal, nor does he have to stick out a leg aimlessly.

Jos' attitude yesterday was poor and he seems to have realized that he would rather play his football elsewhere where he can actually feel good about what he does.

Stop letting Hooiveld get away with it, the 2nd goal is exclusively his fault. He does not have to be where he is, and even if he is he should never be facing our goal, nor does he have to stick out a leg aimlessly.

Jos' attitude yesterday was poor and he seems to have realized that he would rather play his football elsewhere where he can actually feel good about what he does.

Absolutely true. I just wonder if he was in that position because he didn't have faith in Gazzaniga? There's absolutely no need to stick his toe out and prod the ball into the net though, where the hell did he think it would end up?

Pretty sure nobody is letting Jos get away with anything, Im certainly not but this is a thread on Gazza

Absolutely true. I just wonder if he was in that position because he didn't have faith in Gazzaniga? There's absolutely no need to stick his toe out and prod the ball into the net though, where the hell did he think it would end up?

Well either Fox cuts it out or it ends up with the Spurs player on the back post, ball shouldn't have been there in the first place, Gazzaniga wasn't going to get it with his dying swan back flip, seems incapable of just dropping on the ball, perhaps he's too tall for that. The fact that the ball goes under him just says that he's gone down too slowly or too late.

Gazzaniga's record - 2013/14 season:

Shots on Target: 16

Goals Conceded: 10

and how many were his fault.

i suppose the goal at Newcastle was, or Delphs thunderbolt.

he may be no good but that stat hides the truth and by blaming the keeper we are hiding from the real truth that our back up players are not good enough

jos is heading for the premier league record books as a top OG scorer

Of the goal, the only one I can see Boruc keeping out is the first one, as he would've claimed it before Adebayor or in any case be awarded a foul if they clashed.

The other two would've happened as aimless legs can be stuck out before any keeper gets to a ball and from 6 yards out after ridiculous attempts from the whole left side of your defense to even touch the ball there's little you can do.

Of the goal, the only one I can see Boruc keeping out is the first one, as he would've claimed it before Adebayor or in any case be awarded a foul if they clashed.

The other two would've happened as aimless legs can be stuck out before any keeper gets to a ball and from 6 yards out after ridiculous attempts from the whole left side of your defense to even touch the ball there's little you can do.

The second goal came down our right

The second goal came down our right

As did the first, Chambers nowhere in sight and Lovren had to go out wide.

Chambers having been done at the bye line I think, it was a ball Cork should have cleared or left alone at first but he stabbed at it and gave it back to them.

Edited by Window Cleaner

As did the first, Chambers nowhere in sight and Lovren had to go out wide.

Chambers having been done at the bye line I think, it was a ball Cork should have cleared or left alone at first but he stabbed at it and gave it back to them.

Exactly, players make mistakes.

Unfortunately for me Gazza, Jos and Fox make them with a rather consistant frequency

Disagree with you. Can't say for sure Boruc would have saved either, but both genuine goalkeeping mistakes (as well as obviously defending mistakes to be there in the first place, but that's for another thread). Gazza was right in front of where we were sitting and so we got to see his actions up close. I was as surprised as Hooiveld that the ball ever got as far as is it did, Gazza made a right mess of a routine block. The third goal was a bit of a surprise but the ball came right in line with where I was sitting and even I made a move towards it instinctively before Gazza did. It hardly went right in the corner or anything ridiculous. Lovren turned round to give him hell but saw who it was and just gave a resigned sigh.

I got round to watching the goals again on TV this morning. I thought they actually showed him in a good light. I think that's because you just assume that Premier League keepers have a basic level of competence so any shot / cross that beats them must have been just that much quicker than them. But in real time with your own eyes you can see just how terrible he is.

All the discussion on the goals is rather missing the point also, as his worst mistakes weren't even those - not by a long shot. How Soldado didn't manage to convert a ball that landed just 3 yards off the goalline - yet still 2 yards away from where Gazza was standing - was pure luck alone. There were numorous other examples where we got away with it while Gazza was floundering. The one good save Gazza made when he smothered off Adebayor should have been a routine take for him on the edge of the area except he didn't advance off his line until the lucky 26,000th fan in the stand suggested he ought to.

I have been in full support of the tactic of playing him for a few games while Boruc is out to give him a try, rather than waste tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds on a short term replacement - I even went as far as to say I wouldn't mind if this cost us a few points along the way to see how he is. But after Soldado's third near miss in a 5 min spell I lost it and went mental at him. He never seems to make a save, stays rooted to the spot and balls seem to travel right through him in a way that I have only ever seen in a glitch in FIFA 99.

I'm nailing my colors* to the mast from this point on: Cody Cropper's no1 Fan, right here!

*Yankee in-joke, yo!

I have given Gazzaniga the benefit of the doubt up to yesterday - but he was poor against Spurs and simply doesn't look good enough at all. he stays rooted on his goal line and doesn't seem to know how or when to claim the ball. He is very poor and with Fox and Hooifeld in front of him we are likely to concede at least 3 goals every match.

And the 2nd? Jos is one footed and impulsive but there's no way he would have gone for that cross if Boruc had been in goal. He would have trusted Boruc to come out and collect rather than having to take things into his own hands which is a recipe for disaster.

You can say that Gazza, Jos etc bring out the worst in each others games.

Edited by shurlock

On the Cody Cropper thread, a video of an U-21s match is presented as evidence to support the case for CC playing. In which case, I feel it is only fair that video of Gazza playing for Gillingham, and making saves ( including a penalty ), should be used to prove he is not totally useless.

[video=youtube;-SHTGdf1oFs]

On the Cody Cropper thread, a video of an U-21s match is presented as evidence to support the case for CC playing. In which case, I feel it is only fair that video of Gazza playing for Gillingham, and making saves ( including a penalty ), should be used to prove he is not totally useless.

[video=youtube;-SHTGdf1oFs]

That has got to be the most unconvincing YouTube puff piece i've ever seen. Lost count of how many minutes it was before he made a save.

Edited by shurlock

For anyone saying Cropper can't be worse than Gazzaniga:

If you drop Gazzaniga, you'll crush the last traces of confidence he had. Cropper's even younger and will also be jittery - if he makes a mistake then he'll be a bag of nerves as well. Do we really want two young keepers with confidence crises?

For anyone saying Cropper can't be worse than Gazzaniga:

If you drop Gazzaniga, you'll crush the last traces of confidence he had. Cropper's even younger and will also be jittery - if he makes a mistake then he'll be a bag of nerves as well. Do we really want two young keepers with confidence crises?

That's exactly my concern. Gazzaniga looked quite confident in the early days, and that helped him to perform reasonably well. Now he's scared spitless and it shows in everything he does. Sure, it could be argued that Cropper deserves a chance, but the last thing we need is for his confidence to be shattered as well at such a young age. I don't think MP has much choice but to grit it out until one of the senior keepers is fit.

That's exactly my concern. Gazzaniga looked quite confident in the early days, and that helped him to perform reasonably well. Now he's scared spitless and it shows in everything he does. Sure, it could be argued that Cropper deserves a chance, but the last thing we need is for his confidence to be shattered as well at such a young age. I don't think MP has much choice but to grit it out until one of the senior keepers is fit.

What did he do reasonably well?

If they are fragile flowers in their 20s they are never going to be reliable under pressure IMO. Is there any real point in coddling them?

Cropper isn't any supposed to be a particularly good prospect from what I've heard anyway.

If they are fragile flowers in their 20s they are never going to be reliable under pressure IMO. Is there any real point in coddling them?

Cropper isn't any supposed to be a particularly good prospect from what I've heard anyway.

There's a reason very, very few kids that age play top level first team football. The role takes experience and it takes a very special young lad (e.g. Joe Hart) to carry the burden that young.

Edited by DuncanRG

There's a reason very, very few kids that age play top level first team football. The role takes experience and it takes a very special young lad (e.g. Joe Hart) to carry the burden that young.

Absolutely right. Especially in goal, where there's nowhere to hide while you're trying to figure things out.

What concerns me most for Gazzaniga is not so much the form as the regression. That's what can happen when you over-expose youngsters, which is why I have real concerns about throwing Cropper in there.

He did do reasonably well for a time, and earned some plaudits on here. You can't consign his history to oblivion the way you did with yours when you changed your user name.

Not so sure- his debut against Everton was a taster of his flaws and limitations but as they weren't gaffes per se, he was given the benefit of the doubt.

Absolutely right. Especially in goal, where there's nowhere to hide while you're trying to figure things out.

What concerns me most for Gazzaniga is not so much the form as the regression. That's what can happen when you over-expose youngsters, which is why I have real concerns about throwing Cropper in there.

Lack of experience and confidence breeds mistakes. Im not seeing too many mistakes per se, just a lack of any real ability