Gazzaniga Joins Spurs

Batman

It's been 3 weeks since Boruc injury, did they say at the time it was a 5 to 6 weeks recovery time. Anyone heard/seen any update?

the wait is interminable, especially coupled with the KD injury which no-one seems to know much about. Gazza was never meant to play this season and we're stuck with him whilst we slide down the table. It's like watch a train crash in slow motion,

you can't do anything about it you just have to watch.

I keep reading on various forums 'he's clearly a talented keeper' I'm not quite sure how anyone had reached this opinion. What talent had he shown? He doesnt command his area, doesn't come off his line, isn't a good shot stopper, his reactions are slow. I get it that some will say he's young, Hungry and guaranteed to improve because if it but I've seen nothing to suggest he I'd anywhere near good enough .

I keep reading on various forums 'he's clearly a talented keeper' I'm not quite sure how anyone had reached this opinion. What talent had he shown? He ford my command his area, doesn't come off his line, isn't a good shot stopper, his reactions are slow. I get it that some will say he's young, Hungry and guaranteed to improve because if it but I've seen nothing to suggest he I'd anywhere near good enough .

I've seen better keepers on public recreation grounds, he is just so gormless that it's not true. Can't understand why we play him, Cropper is on the list and at least he's played a few Us internationals.

I keep reading on various forums 'he's clearly a talented keeper' I'm not quite sure how anyone had reached this opinion. What talent had he shown? He doesnt command his area, doesn't come off his line, isn't a good shot stopper, his reactions are slow. I get it that some will say he's young, Hungry and guaranteed to improve because if it but I've seen nothing to suggest he I'd anywhere near good enough .

Agree. Can't command his 6 yard box, let alone the whole area. We had a League 1 keeper (at best), a Championship centre half and a Championship left back on the pitch. It's hardly a surprise, therefore, that we continued our recent relegation form. First 11, top 8. Squad as a whole over the course of a season, 14th.

If today's abject performance from Gazzaniga (my assessment is that any of the outfield players would have put up a better display) is anything to go by, Cesar's salary demands are looking somewhat more palatable to Cortese!

I would not normally slate any Saints player, but this was an incompetent display. It's not his fault as such - he can only do what he can do - but Cortese has to support his Manager and sanction a decent loan keeper with Prem experience. Cesar is that keeper.

I still feel that he's young enough to become a decent keeper - he played quite well at times last year, although PL may never be his level.

But there's no doubt that he's gone backwards and it seems that his confidence is so shot that he's become a line-hugger; he was culpable for the first goal - he didn't even have to catch the cross, just go for it at least.

That kind of regression shouldn't happen with quality, specialized coaching, so I can't help but wonder how good it is at this club.

Its all about opinions, but I didn't think Gazza did badly today. Not great mind, but not badly. Maybe a 5.5 or 6?

The first I saw as an outstanding goal by Spurs, rather than a mistake. Considering the pace Adebayor was running at, I thought Jos and Fox had him well marked. The cross was spot on, and the manner in which Adebayor leapt for it, I'm not sure you could expect or defend. A great keeper might have saved the shot, but I can't really fault Gaz for not saving it. I wouldn't expect a keeper to come out for a cross that low and hard for a man that has two defenders on him.

The second was comical, but more on Jos. The third again was sloppy, but more on Fox being mentally and physically slow to react.

On the plus side, Gazza did make a nice stop when Adebayor was through one-on-one. I hope that helps his confidence, especially on leaving his line, because we're stuck with him for a few more matches.

On the negative side, at this level, you need a keeper to make a few stops that you don't expect him to make. What has it been, four matches?I haven't seen a great save from him yet. Perhaps the one-on-one with Adebayor was his best moment, or, while not a save, he came out well on Soldado late, when Soldado put it in the side netting.

Boruc was good for dropping your jaw a few times a game. I could also, while not expecting it, see Artur stopping all 3 today. Unfortunately, you don't get that from a 3rd string keeper.

Its all about opinions, but I didn't think Gazza did badly today. Not great mind, but not badly. Maybe a 5.5 or 6?

The first I saw as an outstanding goal by Spurs, rather than a mistake. Considering the pace Adebayor was running at, I thought Jos and Fox had him well marked. The cross was spot on, and the manner in which Adebayor leapt for it, I'm not sure you could expect or defend. A great keeper might have saved the shot, but I can't really fault Gaz for not saving it. I wouldn't expect a keeper to come out for a cross that low and hard for a man that has two defenders on him.

The second was comical, but more on Jos. The third again was sloppy, but more on Fox being mentally and physically slow to react.

On the plus side, Gazza did make a nice stop when Adebayor was through one-on-one. I hope that helps his confidence, especially on leaving his line, because we're stuck with him for a few more matches.

On the negative side, at this level, you need a keeper to make a few stops that you don't expect him to make. What has it been, four matches?I haven't seen a great save from him yet. Perhaps the one-on-one with Adebayor was his best moment, or, while not a save, he came out well on Soldado late, when Soldado put it in the side netting.

Boruc was good for dropping your jaw a few times a game. I could also, while not expecting it, see Artur stopping all 3 today. Unfortunately, you don't get that from a 3rd string keeper.

I don't buy it to be honest. He just lacks the basics in every single department. I expect any keeper to have some sort of command of an area, or some natural judgement to know when to stay or come. He doesn't have it, and he never will.

I really wanted to give him a chance, but since coming in I haven't seen any improvement, which is a shame.

There was a moment when the ball had his name all over it yet he stayed on his line until the penny dropped that he better go and get it making it a bit of a squeeky bum time for a moment.

The only concern is that seeing as we are a team that has no fear in blooding the nippers, is Gazza seen as the better choice than Cropper by the coaching staff?

Or is Pochettino's decision to pick him over Cropper being sentimentally clouded by the fact that they come from the same town in Argentina?

I don't buy it to be honest. He just lacks the basics in every single department. I expect any keeper to have some sort of command of an area, or some natural judgement to know when to stay or come. He doesn't have it, and he never will.

Agreed. He may have the attributes for League 2 or even League 1, which lets face it is where we were when he was purchased. He is light-years away from being good enough at this level. Not his fault if he's put in that position to be fair.

Agreed. He may have the attributes for League 2 or even League 1, which lets face it is where we were when he was purchased. He is light-years away from being good enough at this level. Not his fault if he's put in that position to be fair.

Gazza was purchased after our accession to the PL and for a pretty penny to boot. I'd expect that he was not supposed to play for the first team at all this season but as our 2 front liners are out for extended periods at the same time we've just hit a brick wall. As we don't like loaning out out players and paying vast sums towards their salaries he was redundant and consigned to the U21s and then suddenly he wasn't. We've caught a cold with this lad that's all, shouldn't have made any difference to us but KD got injured at the same time as Boruc. We can but wait until the storm passes but I can see us losing every game whilst he's between the sticks. Opposition managers will have worked out just how sh*te he is and throw everything at him early on, like Villa did.

Was he really to blame for any of those goals?

Left one on one for all of them - and Hoovield was the one for the second.

Seems to be the easy scapegoat on this site - and he doesn't deserve it, terrible defensive ****ups today - if Fonte is on the bench then he should start.

Boruc would have caught the cross for the 1st goal which was the key to the whole game... the defence has no confidence in him so we will continue to leak goals while he is playing.

Gazza was purchased after our accession to the PL and for a pretty penny to boot. I'd expect that he was not supposed to play for the first team at all this season but as our 2 front liners are out for extended periods at the same time we've just hit a brick wall. As we don't like loaning out out players and paying vast sums towards their salaries he was redundant and consigned to the U21s and then suddenly he wasn't. We've caught a cold with this lad that's all, shouldn't have made any difference to us but KD got injured at the same time as Boruc. We can but wait until the storm passes but I can see us losing every game whilst he's between the sticks. Opposition managers will have worked out just how sh*te he is and throw everything at him early on, like Villa did.

See, I don't agree with this on this occasion - we are perfectly positioned to acquire a good keeper. If Cropper is good enough then fine, go with him otherwise don't **** away the season and get in some decent re-enforcements.

See, I don't agree with this on this occasion - we are perfectly positioned to acquire a good keeper. If Cropper is good enough then fine, go with him otherwise don't **** away the season and get in some decent re-enforcements.

but we can't do anything before the next 3 games take place, ie storm passing. Obviously we aren't going to let the 11th January game pass with Gazzaniga in goal, until then, it's Cropper or as you were. I'd go Cropper, simply on the basis that he can't affect the results in a worse way.

yes all of them, Gazzaniga apologists need to watch him for 95 minutes.
Jos and Fox must take some blame. How can Gazza be blamed for an own Goal? Their first should have been intercepted long before the goal, either by Gazza or Jos and the third was due to a nothing challenge by Jos. i.e to blame Gazza for all 3 is rubbish. Maybe only the first, and that´s debateable.

Anyone got the stats for shots on targets/goals conceded since Gazza has been in goal? I can't remember him making any saves.

he makes a few saves but not very many. My real beef with him is that he controls nothing, he anticipates nothing and he obviously makes the defence worried all of the time.

Jos and Fox must take some blame. How can Gazza be blamed for an own Goal? Their first should have been intercepted long before the goal, either by Gazza or Jos and the third was due to a nothing challenge by Jos. i.e to blame Gazza for all 3 is rubbish. Maybe only the first, and that´s debateable.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Gazzaniga is just not good enough. His indecision in his penalty area is clear to see - nowhere near the Standard of a top half Prem team. Sorting this out is a massive priority - we've not gained enough points this season to be safe even. Not acting to deal with the goalie situation will have a huge influence over where we end up at the end of the season.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Gazzaniga is just not good enough. His indecision in his penalty area is clear to see - nowhere near the Standard of a top half Prem team. Sorting this out is a massive priority - we've not gained enough points this season to be safe even. Not acting to deal with the goalie situation will have a huge influence over where we end up at the end of the season.
I never said Gazza is good. He is useless.

but we can't do anything before the next 3 games take place, ie storm passing. Obviously we aren't going to let the 11th January game pass with Gazzaniga in goal, until then, it's Cropper or as you were. I'd go Cropper, simply on the basis that he can't affect the results in a worse way.

That's a two-way street. Gazzaniga has been brought in "over his head" - at least at this stage of his career, and it could be argued that the results have shattered his confidence as much as the other way around.

You want to try that with another young keeper?

A cross along the ground 2 yards away from goal should ALWAYS be claimed by the keeper. He should have cut that out before it even got to Jos.

However bad his performance is, do any of you so called 'fans' really think sarcastically jeering your own player is acceptable?

Some of our 'fans' are pathetic.

Firstly I have never jeered or booed my own players, and never will do, but today I had some sympathy for those who did. The reason I say this is that everybody who has watched Saints over the past 24 months would know that Gazzaniga, Hooiveld and Fox are not and never will be Premiership players. Whilst I understand that we have injury problems - get over it - all teams do. What is inexcusable from the management is to keep picking them in the hope that they will not make mistakes and will improve. They won't and this has been proved every time they have been picked or had a run in the team.

Booing does not help (especially young players confidence) but the fans pay good money to watch the team and are entitled therefore to make their views known. The players are professionals and as entertainment professionals I am sorry they will just have to deal with that. The management have to take a lot of the flak for this shambles of a defensive performance because those who are Saints regulars could tell you that the 3 were not going to be up to it. I felt especially sorry for Gazza who is way,way out of his depth at this level and then having to keep goal behind Fox and Hooiveld cannot help your confidence much. I feel especially vitriolic about Fox - he is always out of position, moans at other defensive partners about lack of cover, jogs back when he is out of position.....drop him and never play him again. We would do better to use a makeshift full back as we did when he came off rather than persevere with him.

One thing IS for sure Cortese does not like booing.....

That's a two-way street. Gazzaniga has been brought in "over his head" - at least at this stage of his career, and it could be argued that the results have shattered his confidence as much as the other way around.

You want to try that with another young keeper?

Yes I do, I'd try anyone if it meant that Gazza was sent packing. Cropper played at the U20 WC with a bad defence but he still made a few saves against what you might assume are decent players. For me Gazza does nothing at all. I'd stick a free kick dummy in his place and expect better results because he just seems to be totally lost most of the time.

Yes I do, I'd try anyone if it meant that Gazza was sent packing. Cropper played at the U20 WC with a bad defence but he still made a few saves against what you might assume are decent players. For me Gazza does nothing at all. I'd stick a free kick dummy in his place and expect better results because he just seems to be totally lost most of the time.

Do you actually that the Manager and coaching staff would keep Gazzaniga in goal if they felt Cropper was better? Jesus - some people on here are so ****ing thick!

He has good ability but is making all the wrong decisions at the moment. Being ultra critical he could have come for Soldado's cross, but otherwise the goals weren't down to him. He doesn't exactly exude confidence though, and him combined with Jos and Fox today helped Spurs no end.