Lambert vs Lallana: view of fans

stevy777_x

Seing the recent thread on Lambert and his supposed status as a club legend, I am very surprised that Lallana is not regarded in the manner as Rickie.

Adam is an academy product and has been at the club longer than Rickie, stayed at Saints when we were relegated to league 1 when he could have left and I value his contribution just as much as Rickie's in our rise to the premier ligue.

He is also captain of the side and the soul of the club, yet some on here question his captaincy.

For me, if there ever is a club legend at the moment, it is more Adam than Rickie (I m not taking away any of Rickie s achievements here.)

Am I the only one thinking like this?

Agree. But think Rockies seen as more of a legend, as he has been the talisman, the goalscorer and is coming to the end of his career.

Even at 24/5 Adam has got so much further to go. He is a hugely important player for this club, and will be for a long long time. Along with Fonte and Morgan as well.

Lucky to have all these, and such a core to this team that's lasted so long.

Seing the recent thread on Lambert and his supposed status as a club legend, I am very surprised that Lallana is not regarded in the manner as Rickie.

Adam is an academy product and has been at the club longer than Rickie, stayed at Saints when we were relegated to league 1 when he could have left and I value his contribution just as much as Rickie's in our rise to the premier ligue.

He is also captain of the side and the soul of the club, yet some on here question his captaincy.

For me, if there ever is a club legend at the moment, it is more Adam than Rickie (I m not taking away any of Rickie s achievements here.)

He may well go onto to be a greater legend but up til now his contribution for me isn't the same as lamberts.

I respect them both immensely. As different types of player though (the creative tricky midfielder/attacker, the composed, assured goalscoring forward) they will get differing reactions.

Frankly I see them both as essential parts of our recent rise and current ability. Some of the moments in Rickie Lambert's career will enable more immediate affection though, it's just the nature of things!

TBH, Lallana's been hit and miss until this season where he's been phenomenal for the last 10-15 games. Given that players aren't supposed to peak until 27-29 then we've still got more to come - which is great. Lambert's just a machine and his contribution to our rise up the divisions has been more significant than that of Lallana overall. Lallana's the future though (hopefully).

TBH, Lallana's been hit and miss until this season where he's been phenomenal for the last 10-15 games. Given that players aren't supposed to peak until 27-29 then we've still got more to come - which is great. Lambert's just a machine and his contribution to our rise up the divisions has been more significant than that of Lallana overall. Lallana's the future though (hopefully).

Agree, lallana was poor last season and brilliant this. He just needs to improve finishing and goal tally as 4 isn't great still.

Agree, lallana was poor last season and brilliant this. He just needs to improve finishing and goal tally as 4 isn't great still.

He wasn't exactly poor. He struggled a little, and was probably pretty average last year, but he wasn't poor.

This year he's taken his game up a notch, and I'm convinced that it's down to him having a really solid pre-season and being injury free. I have a feeling he was playing through injury quite a lot over the last couple of seasons.

"Supposed status as legend." Are you saying he isn't?

No, I do think Lambert is a legend for his achievements here.

I just hold Adam in higher regard because he is from the youth ranks, and apart from last season where his form was patchy, I thought he was brilliant in league 1 and in the championship. He was even in the 3 man shortlist for championship player of the year if I remember well (which Lambert eventually won). Both were instrumental in our rise, if Lambert hadn t been there we probably would not have got to the premier league in 3 years, likewise for Adam

I just think sometimes he doesn't get the credit he deserves. I love seing his passion for the club.

Goal scorers will always get legend status sooner as they invariably, err, win games. If Matty didn't smack them into the back of the net at will he would have had a thread on here all to himself every week for being Fat Lazy, drinks Malibu, and is useless.

As more Saints fans become educated into the way in which we play, they will increasingly see the contribution that Adam makes thus increasing calls for inclusion in the Saints Legend Hall of Fame. If he starts putting away the chances he creates for himself then more and more folks will give him the title of legend more readily.

Goal scorers will always get legend status sooner as they invariably, err, win games. If Matty didn't smack them into the back of the net at will he would have had a thread on here all to himself every week for being Fat Lazy, drinks Malibu, and is useless.

As more Saints fans become educated into the way in which we play, they will increasingly see the contribution that Adam makes thus increasing calls for inclusion in the Saints Legend Hall of Fame. If he starts putting away the chances he creates for himself then more and more folks will give him the title of legend more readily.

Matty made as many as he scored nearly and produced passes and moments of skill that made the made you're week.

Lallana is not the "soul of the club" is he. Centre Forwards that score s**t loads of goals are always going to be given hero status, that's football. Lallana seems pretty popular with fans to me.

As I see it there are two reasons why Lambert's seen as a club legend and Lallana's not (yet):

1. He's a striker, and he scores bloody loads. Most 'club legends' are either long-term captains or hugely prolific goalscorers

2. He's coming closer to the end of his career after a Roy of the Rovers story, while the best is yet to come from Lallana

AL is a great prospect at the moment. I am fully confident that he will become a Saints legend, one club maestro, and overall local hero that will be different to, but roughly as highly regarded by fans as the great MLT.

The future is bright, the future is red and white.....But mostly red, it would seem.

AL is a great prospect at the moment. I am fully confident that he will become a Saints legend, one club maestro, and overall local hero that will be different to, but roughly as highly regarded by fans as the great MLT.

The future is bright, the future is red and white.....But mostly red, it would seem.

There is no way he is as highly regarded and mlt. Matty scored over 20 goals many times.

You said roughly as highly regarded as Matt. I wasn't having a go, I just think to do that he will have to score 20 goals in the season a few times at least.

I was looking to the future. I said I was confident that he will become regarded highly, and in the proximity of Matt. 20 goals a season does not really come into it if he makes a great contribution to the goals.

I just think you are being a bit precious here. These are only opinions. Not facts.

I'm not disagreeing with you here! not really. :)

Edited by Ohio Saint

I was looking to the future. I said I was confident that he will become regarded highly, and in the proximity of Matt. 20 goals a season does not really come into it if he makes a great contribution to the goals.

I just think you are being a bit precious here. These are only opinions. Not facts.

I'm not disagreeing with you here! not really. :)

I know. Matty was also better at creating goals tho. But you're entitled to you're opinion. Crop circles in fields and welcome to gods country and worshiping, not sure anyone will get there.

Except two of them are 25 or under and approach their prime, another is 32 and possibly best days behind him.

What has this got to do with their status at Southampton FC? I was saying that I see Lallana in the same light as rickie even if others do not.

It will effect their future status.

I am just saying how I see these players, as someone mentioned Rickie gets all the plaudits, but probably as someone else mentioned he scores shed loads of goals.

It is weird how some players get the status they do and others do not get what they deserve.

Is it midnight yet? :)