Who is the ' Secret Footballer ?'

9-3

In the first book he describes a bemusing incident in the closing stages of a derby match, where the supporters of the losing side chose to hold onto the ball rather than return it for the throw-in. Maybe I'm biased because I've read enough to assume that the vast majority is written by Kitson but I instantly thought back to our 2011-2012 derby matches in the Championship.

I read his first book and Dave Kitson just didn't work for a number of reasons.

For some reason I always imagine it being Scott Parker - he talks about being involved in both ends of the table and starting in the lower leagues which would fit. His kids seem the right age too.

There's something about a Danish journalist proving it somewhere by asking Kitson a load of questions which give it away

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/video-the-secret-footballer--has-this-crafty-danish-journalist-exposed-dave-kitson-as-the-anonymous-author-9024314.htmlhttp://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/video-the-secret-footballer--has-this-crafty-danish-journalist-exposed-dave-kitson-as-the-anonymous-author-9024314.html

sorry, link doesn't seem to paste. Just google "Dave Kitson Secret Footballer". Third hit

Edited by There when Franny scored
link not working

I'm half way through the 2nd book and although the (Pompey) fans protesting outside the training ground is a massive giveaway it's Kitson, plus the move to Stoke is pretty evident - there is also so much that doesn't fit. As others have alluded to, it must be collection of stories and not just the ones he actually says are his mates. Things like won trophies and played for a big club in Premier? Kitson's won a Div 1 medal and that's it. I wouldn't say Reading and Stoke are big clubs, just like I wouldn't say we are either.

I'm half way through the 2nd book and although the (Pompey) fans protesting outside the training ground is a massive giveaway it's Kitson, plus the move to Stoke is pretty evident - there is also so much that doesn't fit. As others have alluded to, it must be collection of stories and not just the ones he actually says are his mates. Things like won trophies and played for a big club in Premier? Kitson's won a Div 1 medal and that's it. I wouldn't say Reading and Stoke are big clubs, just like I wouldn't say we are either.

Heard that a few stories/facts are thrown in to throw people off track. Never read it myself.

• 8 months later...

Been reading the second book the last couple of days. if it is Kitson, he's gone right up in my estimation for trying to single handedly bankrupt the stinking cesspit down the road. Although I can't think which of the many many chairman it could have been singing songs about him?

It is Kitson.

The secret footballer states he was on the verge of an England call up by Capello but he changed his mind and then went on a bender.

I worked out that the manager who threatened him after he scored against them was Steve Cotterill, who also he talks about as crying in the dressing room when off to another club and leaving them in the sh1t. When he went off to Forest.

Heard that a few stories/facts are thrown in to throw people off track. Never read it myself.

yeah he nicked a few stories from other footballers either to throw doubt on his identity or just to have stories to tell.

most of it matches kitson and if it's not him it's someone who borrowed his answers from very public interviews to use in the book.

Jack Colback is a secret footballer (just not the main one). He did an anonymous 'ask me anything' a year ago on the /sp/ board on 4chan of all places, but the anoraks eventually figured out it was him. Made an amusing comment about Pardew which is even more funny now that he plays under him.

Coincidentally I just read his first book on Wednesday, and all signs pointed to Kitson apart from a couple of things that didn't quite fit in - I guess it makes sense to include things in there to throw people off the scent but when he talks about players at P*mpey looking up to him "because I pronounce the letter 't' in words" it could only be that lanky ginge.

I do enjoy the bits where he has a go at the Skates though, talking about confronting fans (the bestest fans in the world btw) who wanted him to forgo his paychecks. Some lols in there.

I thought the first book was a lot better but at that time I didn't know it was kitson and thought it was someone half decent like Danny Murphy. Good marketing from kitson though, there is no way I would buy and read one kitson autobiography let alone two but I did with the SFootballer.

Disappointed with the first book, nothing juicy in there unlike some of the auto b's.

Won't be bothering with the 2nd.

For me that's the point, people are always putting attention seeking look at me stuff in biographies but this is trying to tell it how it really is nobody talks about the crap and the negative when there name is attached to it.

It is Kitson.

The secret footballer states he was on the verge of an England call up by Capello but he changed his mind and then went on a bender.

I worked out that the manager who threatened him after he scored against them was Steve Cotterill, who also he talks about as crying in the dressing room when off to another club and leaving them in the sh1t. When he went off to Forest.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/dave-kitson-lined-up-for-england-721841 - some of the "Kitson for England under Capello" evidence.