Squad Depth

Batman

is pretty non existant

we have what, 14 good player. with a few very very good players in that

such a shame we dont have the squad depth that even sunderland have.

I still think we missed a huge trick in january..i know i know. Bore off and all that

but we really do need a few good additions in the summer (assuming we keep all we wish to)

Our first choice XI will give any team in the league a very difficult game. We have good enough cover at right back, central midfield and thats about it. Take away our first choice keeper, left back, centre backs and we really struggle. Attacking midfield and striker situation is a little better but still need more in the way of quality and numbers. We can just about get away with one of those positions out but if we have more than one of those areas out then it really is a disaster waiting to happen at Premier League level.

Edited by Matthew Le God

is pretty non existant

I still think we missed a huge trick in january..i know i know. Bore off and all that

but we really do need a few good additions in the summer (assuming we keep all we wish to)

At last someone who can see that you can't choose players that you don't actually possess. Their is no way that Jos Hooieveld and Guly do Prado should still be in the first team squad at a PL club, Mauricio obviously agrees because he hardly ever plays them unless he's absolutely desperate. Apart form the 4 lads who've come from the U21 squad all the rest is either still way off or non-existent. We've cut and trimmed all the surplus but really can anyone tell me that Sam McQueen could do an better job whenst called upon than Billy Sharp,Tadanari Lee or even Lee Barnard (not that I'm a fan of any of them mind you). We should have kept Osvaldo, no something is wrong and I put that down to Cortese's departure. We're cost cutting and being all smarmy to try to cover it up.

I dunno B, I think if you have finite resources it's prob best to have ur money in the first team rather than spread over the whole squad. I like that policy, I prefer having 11 great players more than 22 decent ones, if you know what I mean.

Would have liked to see them all today tho!

It depends what your viewpoint is. Personally I am very proud of the club's youth policy which means I'm happy to suffer slightly in terms of quality back up. I'd much rather see a youngster like Gallagher get a chance if Lambert is injured than some random foreign back up player, even if they are slightly better.

Targett being in the squad instead of Fox being the obvious example.

IMO we're a GK, CB, LB, 1 or 2 Attacking Midfielders and 1 or 2 strikers light at present. So up to 7 players short of a strong squad. That's a lot of players and a lot of money required. I wonder how much investment is going to be provided in the summer, whether Katharina will stay put, and whether we can retain our most talented players.

It'll be a nervous summer. Let's hope we can do as well as we can in the league this season and not fizzle out. The saving grace is that the World Cup is around the corner, and players will want to stay fit and in their International manager's plans.

is pretty non existant

I think you are a complete tw*t, but are spot-on in this respect. ;)

I hope some scales have fallen from certain people's eyes today.

I got shot down by the happy clappers at the end of the transfer window for pointing out that we probably have one of the weakest squad in the whole premiership. Yes our 1st choice 11 is a match for practically any team but we will do very well in the summer to only lose one or two of them and if we can't bring in as good replacements which is doubtful we will need a huge influx of about 6/7 players to get to the next stage or even remain a side finishing 8,9 or 10 imo

I think you are a complete tw*t, but are spot-on in this respect. ;)

But everyone knows we have no strength in depth. It's not like people have been saying otherwise. But it's very harsh to have a go at players who aren't good enough, it's not their fault they're on the pitch.

I love the fact we're giving these youngsters a chance in the first team squad, but we need to have more than one or two attacking options on the bench. Especially as those 2 players, one is injured and one is out on loan.

We should have brought in a striker, and we need another player who can play across the attacking positions. It's great having our side playing so well, but our system is a very tiring system, and a few fresh legs would be very welcome right now.

Still ****ed off the team we put out today though, should have sacrificed the Hull game for this one IMO.

I don't recall anyone saying we had a lot of depth (especially in goal and defence), but its hard for someone to justify that our first choice XI isn't a very difficult opponent for anyone in the Premier League home and away. Problems come when we deviate away for the first choice XI and our lack of depth is exposed. So it was bizarre that Pochettino thought he could get away with a weakened side vs Sunderland in the cup for a second time this season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I still cant believe many were happy with the squad after jan

even if osvaldo was not sent away, adding a defender surely had to be done

I still dont buy into the notion that getting a player in during january is somehow "panic buying"

Edited by Batman

It depends what your viewpoint is. Personally I am very proud of the club's youth policy which means I'm happy to suffer slightly in terms of quality back up. I'd much rather see a youngster like Gallagher get a chance if Lambert is injured than some random foreign back up player, even if they are slightly better.

Targett being in the squad instead of Fox being the obvious example.

I'm proud of it to but what has it won us, that will always be the elephant in the room, unless we are successful we wont retain the players.

But everyone knows we have no strength in depth. It's not like people have been saying otherwise. But it's very harsh to have a go at players who aren't good enough, it's not their fault they're on the pitch.

I love the fact we're giving these youngsters a chance in the first team squad, but we need to have more than one or two attacking options on the bench. Especially as those 2 players, one is injured and one is out on loan.

We should have brought in a striker, and we need another player who can play across the attacking positions. It's great having our side playing so well, but our system is a very tiring system, and a few fresh legs would be very welcome right now.

Still ****ed off the team we put out today though, should have sacrificed the Hull game for this one IMO.

I really do not get this 'it's not their fault' that that they are on the pitch' Yes it is actually they are paid big money to play to this standard and if they are not up to it plainly they can walk away, there is not one thing stopping them saying Im not good enough and walking away..... They know who they are but they like the money. There is nothing heroic or loyal in that and they do no one any favours except themselves. We need to strengthen the squad and invite them to find their level elsewhere. It's as simple as that really...

I still cant believe many were happy with the squad after jan

even if osvaldo was not sent away, adding a defender surely had to be done

I still dont buy into the notion that getting a player in during january is somehow "panic buying"

That bit has been explained to you on numerous occasions by several posters yet you chose to ignore it.

Doesn't make it gospel because a forum member has given their opinion

It's not an opinion, its an explanation. We didn't sign any players because the ones we wanted weren't available at a price we were willing to pay. If we had signed a player we don't need or paid more than he is worth, that is panic buying. It's astonishingly simple.

It's not an opinion, its an explanation. We didn't sign any players because the ones we wanted weren't available at a price we were willing to pay. If we had signed a player we don't need or paid more than he is worth, that is panic buying. It's astonishingly simple.

You know all this for a fact, do you ? I personally think the club had bigger issues to deal with in January than transfers, like, oh, let me remember, the CEO leaving ?

Your comment is an opinion. And your patronising tone doesnt help to get that opinion accepted by a wider audience.

Hopefully we can use the summer to create a much more competitive squad. I don't want to see the likes of Jos, Guly, Davis, Fox etc close to the first team next year. They need to be replaced by players a notch up quality wise if we're able to cope with rotation - which we've failed miserably with whenever we've had the squad stretched this year.

I'd also be tempted to send JWP on loan for a season, just think at his age it would be good for him to get a full season of football down in a competitive NPC to strengthen him up a bit. There's no doubt he has quality, but I'm not sure he's progressing enough by being in and out of a side like he is with us.

I'd also be tempted to send JWP on loan for a season, just think at his age it would be good for him to get a full season of football down in a competitive NPC to strengthen him up a bit. There's no doubt he has quality, but I'm not sure he's progressing enough by being in and out of a side like he is with us.

While I agree this might be good for his development and for the club in the long term, it really doesn't address the short term issue of our squad depth. If he were to go out on loan we would need to sign a replacement, and I can't see the club sanctioning that.

While I agree this might be good for his development and for the club in the long term, it really doesn't address the short term issue of our squad depth. If he were to go out on loan we would need to sign a replacement, and I can't see the club sanctioning that.

Could grab a loan deal for an experienced CM from somewhere in Europe to cover for a year.

Players who are up to it, IMO:

Boruc

Clyne, Chambers, Shaw

Lovren, Fonte, Yoshi, Hooiveld (he is good enough to be 4th choice)

Morgan, Cork, Wanyama

JRod, JWP, Lallana, Davis

Lambert

Leaves us needing a GK, LB, AM and ST in the summer. Gives us a healthy squad of 20, plus a few young players like Gallagher, Gazza and Reed.

Not sure Jos is good enough to be 4th choice, if you're 4th choice there's still a chance you'll be required to perform in the PL at some point in the season. He isn't good enough to do that, so shouldn't be one of our CB's next year. Good fella and all that, but totally out of his depth in my opinion.

Not sure Jos is good enough to be 4th choice, if you're 4th choice there's still a chance you'll be required to perform in the PL at some point in the season. He isn't good enough to do that, so shouldn't be one of our CB's next year. Good fella and all that, but totally out of his depth in my opinion.

He did alright at Arsenal, Newcastle (despite the error) and in a large number of very good performance last season. He's not perfect but we aren't going to find much better players to be 4th choice at Southampton. Supposing we signed a player like Astori and sold Jos. Yoshi would be 4th choice and I'd bet my arse he would want to leave.

Hopefully we can use the summer to create a much more competitive squad. I don't want to see the likes of Jos, Guly, Davis, Fox etc close to the first team next year. They need to be replaced by players a notch up quality wise if we're able to cope with rotation - which we've failed miserably with whenever we've had the squad stretched this year.

Glad to see people coming around to this view - frankly it was heresy to say as much during the summer or earlier in the season.

Its been clear as crystal that he's nowhere near ready. Even admitted that he secretly played nonleague football while he was at the academy to toughen up, so dont think he would see a loan to a NPC side as detrimental to his development. He's intelligent enough to see the big picture.

Edited by shurlock

Glad to see people coming around to this view - frankly it was heresy to say as much during the summer or earlier in the season.

Its been clear as crystal that he's nowhere near ready. Even admitted that he secretly played nonleague football while he was at the academy to toughen up, so dont think he would see a loan to a NPC side as detrimental to his development. He's intelligent enough to see the big picture.

I agree and have been critical of JWP since the start of the season, just doesn't look physically developed enough to have an impact at this level, but I can't see us putting him out on loan. It just doesn't seem like something we do for any of our players that we intend to have a part to play in the first team.

He did alright at Arsenal, Newcastle (despite the error) and in a large number of very good performance last season. He's not perfect but we aren't going to find much better players to be 4th choice at Southampton. Supposing we signed a player like Astori and sold Jos. Yoshi would be 4th choice and I'd bet my arse he would want to leave.

You are a brave soul coming to Jos' defence. Minds have been made up about him long ago to such a degree that some are even blaming him for the goal conceded yesterday.

I'd be interested to see a list of 4th choice centre backs at other prem clubs to see exactly how weak we are in that position.

I agree and have been critical of JWP since the start of the season, just doesn't look physically developed enough to have an impact at this level, but I can't see us putting him out on loan. It just doesn't seem like something we do for any of our players that we intend to have a part to play in the first team.

Can someone that has been to all games tell me in which he has played well? I also think some time in the championship might be good for him, but then again we'd need someone better in our squad to take his spot.

Edited by Chez

Can someone that has been to all games tell me in which he has played well? At wba in the first game of the season I thought he was a real weak link. There isn't a game I have come away thinking he was even close to MOTM. I've seen some decent corners. But that is about it. Great potential, but his talent needs to be nurtured correctly.

I've taken loads of stick for being critical of him in the past, not really my intention, as he has potential, but I think he's a fair way off being a Premier League player and has been carried by some very strong players around him. Excellent dead balls at times and very hard-working, he doesn't score, can't beat a man, doesn't tackle enough, weak in the air, not very quick. He looked handy around autumn time when we were playing very well and him and Clyne struck up a good partnership, with Clyne providing the pace and laying the ball back to JWP for crossing etc, plus knowing that he could bomb on with a sensible head in JWP being prepared to drop back in for him.

It's certainly an issue. We need to get shot of Gazza, Jos and Guly. I don't rate JWP at all, either a loan or sell him for a million. I think people try to rate him as a good player, as he's an academy product, but he really brings nothing to the table. As I've said before, we need 4/5 players of the same sort of quality as Lovren, which is obviously easier said than done.