2013/14 Southampton Football Club Player Awards

pap

I'm genuinely interested in who people think Lallana would go to by the way. All top teams have players like him already and the only one I could see him getting into is Liverpool and they wouldn't be up for spending 20-30 million on a player that will compete with and is similar to Stirling and Coutinho and therefore isn't a guaranteed starter.

We've done a great job of getting him onto a long contract covering his best years and almost pricing him out of the market. He's not the type of player to leave to sit on the bench for money, we know this because he's turned down chances to leave when we were in much worse positions and he constantly talks of wanting to enjoy his football. I think he knows he is at the best club for him as long as we keep the manager and keep progressing.

All of our decent players have been courted, there is offers, some are undecided, some are waiting on what happens with the club (though I think most are skeptical that KL and RK want to push the club like Cortese did) and unfortunately, MP's another one waiting on the board to show their hand. It could very well be an end of an era, and I did say this back in Jan...

...as for Adam, read into that what you will. All it's going to take is one to go for many of the others to do the same... dominoe's...

All of our decent players have been courted, there is offers, some are undecided, some are waiting on what happens with the club (though I think most are skeptical that KL and RK want to push the club like Cortese did) and unfortunately, MP's another one waiting on the board to show their hand. It could very well be an end of an era, and I did say this back in Jan...

...as for Adam, read into that what you will. All it's going to take is one to go for many of the others to do the same... dominoe's...

No there aren't any offers, Uncle Les keeps telling me so :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

I think for Lallana he has a decision to make because his stock is possibly the highest now that it will ever be.

Clearly Shaw will have plenty of time to move and join a CL team so there isnt such an urgency needed for him.

Lallana might not get another chance to join one of the big boys and that is why he has a decision to make.

At the end of the day if he has a concrete offer from a CL team and turns it down, that could be his chance of playing Champions League over. Not easy to know what to do. If he leaves it would be with a hugely heavy heart, but equally in a career surely he should strive to be the best he can and he could put himself in the running to win a PL title.

Don't be silly. Everyone on here is saying it's nonsense to suggest that a few will follow if Adam leaves. Utter nonsense.

No there aren't any offers, Uncle Les keeps telling me so :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Ralph Kruger said last night he was "batting away the calls" which is quite different to what Reed said.

As CL said, ball in Saints court. If they don't show the ambition then players and MP will go.

before they actually get to make an offer I hope then, if not Uncle Les either isn't in the know or has been economical with the truth.

Hopefully. He did say they were trying to keep the group together and that no players had asked to leave.

But in his initial speech he said 8th place was "outstanding" and I think that is the issue. It is for Saints but not for some of the better players.

Don't be silly. Everyone on here is saying it's nonsense to suggest that a few will follow if Adam leaves. Utter nonsense.

It's utter nonsense to believe that NC was going to push us on to the CL.

He was excellent at spending other peoples money in a carefree manner and the mugs believed it.

I don't want my club spending millions in an insane attempt to gain fleeting glory. I want a sustainable club.

Hopefully. He did say they were trying to keep the group together and that no players had asked to leave.

But in his initial speech he said 8th place was "outstanding" and I think that is the issue. It is for Saints but not for some of the better players.

No player who might be the subject of a big fee'd transfer is going to ask to leave, they'd forfeit their cut.

No player who might be the subject of a big fee'd transfer is going to ask to leave, they'd forfeit their cut.

Not exactly. They might not hand in a transfer request but if they indicated that actually they would like to go because they have had a massive offer elsewhere then I don't think the club would stand in their way.

Reed said we havent had offers and havent heard anything about outgoing player movement.

Krueger said he has been "batting away phone calls".

Strangely strange though, most people in UK football would know Reed and he's supposed to be responsable for transfers so why would anyone call Krueger who they probably wouldn't know from Adam. Might think he's an easier touch I suppose, promise him a couple of draft picks for Lallana or Shaw.

Not exactly. They might not hand in a transfer request but if they indicated that actually they would like to go because they have had a massive offer elsewhere then I don't think the club would stand in their way.

I think they would have to hand in a formal transfer request in order to lose their cut. Sometimes players do that and it effectively gets paid by the purchaser.

I think they would have to hand in a formal transfer request in order to lose their cut. Sometimes players do that and it effectively gets paid by the purchaser.

Then again any player asking for a transfer would have to put in a formal request anyway I'd think. It's not just a thing you do off the cuff because so much depends on it. All we can assume so far is that no player has put in a formal written request, doesn't mean that agents aren't still beavering away behind the scenes.

I went last night and had a good chat with les reed and luke shaw. Les said we have no intention on selling like shaw or anyone else. He did say it's gonna be a long summer. But talks with poch have been positive and will step up next week. He also said poch and him have planned pre season and poch has given him a list of players he wants. Luke said everything on the papers is ******** at the moment. He loves it here so fingers crossed

Reed said we havent had offers and havent heard anything about outgoing player movement.

Batting away phone calls from who though? I can't imagine 10 different clubs are inquiring multiple times a day. I should imagine he meant batting away calls from the media.

Both telling the truth maybe

Then again any player asking for a transfer would have to put in a formal request anyway I'd think. It's not just a thing you do off the cuff because so much depends on it. All we can assume so far is that no player has put in a formal written request, doesn't mean that agents aren't still beavering away behind the scenes.

Agents don't make any serious money unless they're continually arranging transfers for their clients. A few image rights here and there aren't in the same league as the commission on a £30m transfer.

Depends what the context of "batting away calls" was said. Sounds to me just like a turn of phrase to tell the listener we're not interested in selling, standard response that doesn't mean much either way.

Depends what the context of "batting away calls" was said. Sounds to me just like a turn of phrase to tell the listener we're not interested in selling, standard response that doesn't mean much either way.

Makes me think of the response of Mr Bennet towards the end of P&P, just after Lizzie's engagement actually.

I went last night and had a good chat with les reed and luke shaw. Les said we have no intention on selling like shaw or anyone else. He did say it's gonna be a long summer. But talks with poch have been positive and will step up next week. He also said poch and him have planned pre season and poch has given him a list of players he wants. Luke said everything on the papers is ******** at the moment. He loves it here so fingers crossed

Good news! Thanks for sharing

Agents don't make any serious money unless they're continually arranging transfers for their clients. A few image rights here and there aren't in the same league as the commission on a £30m transfer.

Incorrect. They do very well from arranging new wage deals for players, and for arranging new signing on fees and year on year loyalty bonuses. There's plenty of ways in which agents make huge sums by getting their client to stay at a club. Just ask Paul Stretford.

He was excellent at spending other peoples money in a carefree manner and the mugs believed it.

I don't want my club spending millions in an insane attempt to gain fleeting glory. I want a sustainable club.

Amen.

Cheers for sharing those snippets Saint Dyer. Encouraging stuff

Batting away phone calls from who though? I can't imagine 10 different clubs are inquiring multiple times a day. I should imagine he meant batting away calls from the media.

Both telling the truth maybe

It'll be PPI, I get it all the time!

This is spot on. All this NC was taking us to the champions league crap drives me crazy so many people fell for the hype. People seem to have forgotten our past pretty quickly gone is the desire for a well run finically stable club to be replaced by constant demands to spend a s hit load to compete with the likes of Man city or the manager and all the players will leave and it will all be KLs fault for not wanting to blow her personally fortune on the champions league.

All in all a really nice evening. Quite restrained but guess you get that on a Tuesday night at the start of May.

Guly - Confirmed he is off. He is hoping to stay in England but doesn't have anything lined up. Assured me he would rather retire than play for Pompey.

Morgan - As said on another thread. Enjoyed this season, wants to play for France and his family will disown him if he became 'English', in their initial 40. "You can never say" when questioned on what might happen in the summer.

Steve Davis - Top bloke. Came across very genuinely. Has enjoyed this season much more. He didn't get a pre-season last season due to a double hernia operation. Loves life down here, family settled etc.

Luke Shaw - Not much conversation, as an 18 year old lad he had better things to do.

Krueger - "Unbelievable energy and such great people at the club"

Matt Le Tissier - Happy to be back in the fold. Spent a long time chatting to Lallana at the end!

Chambers - someone asked if we was off to a Arsenal, "not me mate" was the instant reply. Comedy moment of the night was where a drunk lush came up to him with her camera and asked where Lallana was!

Victor - feels there is more to come this season, has had a few knocks this year.

Rickie - biggest queue for chat and photos. Lovely guy, fingers crossed for WC

JWP - Looks like a very bright and eloquent fella. Got Yoshida to take our picture because the Japanese are good at taking photos!

Yoshida - Absolutely perfect English and very engaging. Is back in training, confident he is off to Brazil.

Brief chats with a few others. Hesketh seemed made up to win his award and his new pro deal. Gallagher is as huge as Harry Reed is small. Boruc seems like a top bloke, didn't seem to mind that nobody had bought any Vodka or Charlie.

Well he's hardly going to say "our mediocre 8th place finish" is he.